Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591986 times)

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6225 on: May 31, 2018, 11:23:34 am »

Ok, this has got to be the greatest forum topic ever. And there is some irony cuz I just took the final exam for my world history class.

Anyways, is it too late to get started?
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: May 31, 2018, 11:32:36 am »

Nearly, but not quite. If we lose this turn then it's gg. Welcome to Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: May 31, 2018, 11:49:04 am »

Quote from: Vote Thing
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (4) - QuakeIV, Conscript Five, NAV, Happerry
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" (1) - Parsely
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: May 31, 2018, 11:53:40 am »

What needs to be worked on?

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: May 31, 2018, 11:55:28 am »

We need something to win back the air war and something to win in the jungle.

So we're arguing over a tank turret and a rocket carrying apc.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: May 31, 2018, 12:02:46 pm »

We need something to win back the air war and something to win in the jungle.

So we're arguing over a tank turret and a rocket carrying apc.

Not quite correct, Kashyyk. Once again, if Cannala pushes Tereshkova, the fighting will take place in the Desert regardless of whether we push there or not.
Only if we push and they don't will we face off in the Jungle.
The same goes for Forenia.

But the air war is a thing we need to work on for sure, but it's a thing we can address with the revision if need be.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: May 31, 2018, 12:21:50 pm »

What kind of problems are there in the air war?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: May 31, 2018, 12:30:54 pm »

What kind of problems are there in the air war?

They have a good (ok, technically only fairly decent) missile and our countermeasures aren't quite up to snuff.
It's a pretty good force equalizer, as otherwise our fighter just hilariously outperforms theirs.

Prevalence of airborn radar is a lesser issue, but one that'll likely have to be taken on another day.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: May 31, 2018, 12:33:39 pm »

What counter measures have we taken and how have they reacted?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: May 31, 2018, 12:40:47 pm »

Quote from: Vote box
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (4) - QuakeIV, Conscript Five, NAV, Happerry
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" (1) - Parsely
UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" (1) - Piratejoe

I honestly just want the air to be safe, and radar helps us everywhere. Its ambitious but hey, we need something and I really really just want Cannala's missiles to just die.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:49 pm »

We have two countermeasures now, both of which combined has a grand total of 4 in dice value.

A flare dispenser which is great in every way except that it doesn't work, and a radio-based proximity jammer.

Their missiles switched from radio-based proximity to a more finicky electrostatic fuse, and their heat seekers have never been baffled by our flares, because the flares rolled a 2 and therefore must suck by law.

I am hesitant to say that longer-burning fuses that signature-match our engines would be able to baffle their missiles, maybe? Realistically if our flares work then cannala should have tremendous difficulty getting their missiles to lock on, at least until they get transistors and can pack more intelligence into the missile.  Which they may do this turn, since they've accomplished equally difficult feats with ease before.

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:40 pm »

What knowledge do we have in the way of flares? We can do what you suggested or we can say "F this" and do something really difficult too. I say that we work on the flares or develop some anti-missile missiles.
What is the underlying cause of the flares not deploying? Are they jamming? Does the deployment mechanism malfunction? Instead of trying to make a new design we revise the flares
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:18:27 pm by Caesar Josephus »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: May 31, 2018, 01:27:37 pm »

Making flares that match the engine temperate of our planes would do exactly nothing. The way their IR tech works from what sensei has explained is basically it's an on/off switch if it sees something that's over let's say 70c it turns on otherwise it stays off. The three reasons our flares are ineffective I could warp logic to find are,
A: Our flares aren't deployed in a way that causes them to get detected by the 'lock sensor' and that sensor takes priority over the side sensors(how they did this in 1944 you ask? who knows) so the flares falling in front of the exhaust should correct this.
B: We are deploying the flares deploy to late so their fuzes still trigger to take our planes. This is the only thing that makes sense for why their prox fuzes did anything way back when.
C: Whatever charge we are using to punt the flares our is so weak they don't leave the slipstream of the plane. Therefor the missile just flies past and re-locks onto the plane.
However the only reason we have been directly given as to way flares can't defeat their missile in 1944 when flares can still defeat missiles today is because they are 'bad'.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:44:22 pm by Light forger »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:33 pm »

The reason I mentioned temperature matching was because cannala could insert a single vacuum tube and limit the max temperature for lock-on.  So if a flare is too bright it will ignore it.

They haven't yet, afaik, and their missiles still do shit like lock onto the sun and stuff.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: May 31, 2018, 02:08:03 pm »

The reason I mentioned temperature matching was because cannala could insert a single vacuum tube and limit the max temperature for lock-on.  So if a flare is too bright it will ignore it.

They haven't yet, afaik, and their missiles still do shit like lock onto the sun and stuff.
Their IR sensors can't tell the difference between 100c and 10,000c so they would need to upgrade them as well. Also going from their past actions with their missiles they just go "we have solved the air problem forever" and then declare any countermeasure we make to be us 'hacking' the game.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 500