Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592018 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6210 on: May 31, 2018, 12:00:48 am »

I feel like we are stuck in an endless back and forth when it comes to the air. We need to find a way to reliably overcome their missiles that cant simply be overcome by Cannala saying "We make our missiles immune to this and also even better" or we step up our game in the missile department and make a missile that is late cold war levels in tech because I feel it's either that or we abandon the sky, and I know we won't abandon the sky....

Or we can just work on very large missiles and nuclear weapons, because that surely will work, surely.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6211 on: May 31, 2018, 12:07:50 am »

Quote from: Design
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance"

The United Forenian Gyroscopic Auto-Loading Turret 1943 "Last Chance" is a turret designed to be compatible with our Very Expensive Bjorn Heavy, Expensive T33 Medium, and our Cheap T25 and Breaker Light tanks.

The UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" makes use of a gyroscopic stabilizer to allow a tank to fire accurately while on the move.  The Auto-Loader reduces the size of the turret, and removes a loader from the already cramped confines of the Bjorn.  The Last Chance makes use of our 100 mm cannon, Very Heavy armor, flooded ammo stowage, and comes with a stencil and can of spray paint to allow crews to easily add kill markers to the side.

Sweet, simply, and deadly-effective in open areas.  Highly mobile tanks are key in areas like the desert, I'm pretty sure Rommel showed us that.  Being able to shoot while on the move means our assaults don't slow down.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:39 am »

huh... Some things about the Balefire seem odd. Could someone clarify some things for me?
How would it track something(heat source) to its side

Its sensor head is mounted on a gimbal, a device which allows it to swivel in all directions. A little bit like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The sensor head itself has a few sensors so it knows which way to swing the gimbal and keep the sensor on target. This is crucial as the steering of the missile is based only on the speed and direction of the swinging gimbal, not the actual IR sensor inputs.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6213 on: May 31, 2018, 01:27:50 am »

Quote from: Design
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance"

The United Forenian Gyroscopic Auto-Loading Turret 1943 "Last Chance" is a turret designed to be compatible with our Very Expensive Bjorn Heavy, Expensive T33 Medium, and our Cheap T25 and Breaker Light tanks.

The UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" makes use of a gyroscopic stabilizer to allow a tank to fire accurately while on the move.  The Auto-Loader reduces the size of the turret, and removes a loader from the already cramped confines of the Bjorn.  The Last Chance makes use of our 100 mm cannon, Very Heavy armor, flooded ammo stowage, and comes with a stencil and can of spray paint to allow crews to easily add kill markers to the side.

Sweet, simply, and deadly-effective in open areas.  Highly mobile tanks are key in areas like the desert, I'm pretty sure Rommel showed us that.  Being able to shoot while on the move means our assaults don't slow down.
An autoloader means a smaller and therefore less expensive (less armor needed) and more survivable turret for ALL of our tanks, plus the stabilizer as a sweet cherry on top. I like it!

Quote from: Vote Thing
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (1) - QuakeIV
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" (1) - Parsely

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: May 31, 2018, 02:29:37 am »

Is there some way we could block the IR sensors from detecting our aircraft?  I get that the heat from the engines is the big draw but if we had something cooling around them we could be invisible to the missiles.

As for the spy tech, what about our improved horsekiller, but in a collapsible and easy to disguise format?  Make smuggling a high powered sniper rifle into enemy countries easy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: May 31, 2018, 02:52:29 am »

We can't hide the heat signature of a pair of massive jet engines even if they flameout all the time, because why wouldn't they.  It would be better to just fix the flares which don't really work for some reason, because why would we ever get 100% functional equipment, right?

I dunno how you're going to strip down a 23 kg rifle.  It might be better to make a stripped down and collapsable Osprey.  Either way, it doesnt really matter; unless we can think of something that would beat fully functional cold war era night vision goggles in 1943, Cannala is going to walk away with this event too.  I dunno, maybe C4? A submersible car? An exploding pen?  I have no idea whether this is James Bond type spying, Navy Seals infiltration type spying, or real-world type spying.  If it's the latter, then the best tool you could give a spy is a camera and a huge wad of cash.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:54:41 am by evictedSaint »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: May 31, 2018, 03:00:20 am »

A portable radio receiver, triangulator, recorder, and transmitter, ideally with a relay transmitter to broadcast from elsewhere, relayed to by cable or short-range transmission, could be a useful spy tool...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: May 31, 2018, 03:28:47 am »

Okay, what if we turned the Saruhk into piracy warning type guided missiles while improving their flight accuracy and mounting them on an APC/making them load faster.

We can use them for anti tank and infantry then revise a variant to target planes.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: May 31, 2018, 03:57:46 am »

We could steal their Night vision with one revision then use the espionage revision to improve on it?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: May 31, 2018, 05:17:33 am »

Well we do not actually get the results of the espionage revision.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: May 31, 2018, 06:47:23 am »

Not the tech no, but presumably we will get the experience.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6221 on: May 31, 2018, 07:34:44 am »

As I said last week, our IDF is underperforming.  We've lost the skies again, so CAS from the increasingly obsolete Haast is more or less gone.  The Artemis is literally Sarukh times *FIFTEEN* in terms of barrage size.  Going from Katyusha to Grad is the game changer we need.

Plus, it advances our rocketry/missile experience.  Someday we're going to want to push past the Piracy Warning and/or build an anti-ship missile.  Not to mention the Artemis could be conceivably rebuilt into a SAM battery.

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (2) - QuakeIV, Conscript Five

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand the "Last Chance" turret.  The Bjorn is still the best tank out there and I'm not sure it needs improvement yet.  Newer almost always equals more expensive, and I'm skeptical that it'll succeed in making the Bjorn less expensive.  Even then, is it the Bjorn times *FIFTEEN*?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:37:37 am by ConscriptFive »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: May 31, 2018, 08:21:45 am »

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (3) - QuakeIV, Conscript Five, NAV
I would prefer a self propelled gun, but don't have time to write it and PAROI.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: May 31, 2018, 10:48:52 am »

-
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:35:51 pm by Light forger »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: May 31, 2018, 10:58:03 am »

UFAF-CM-44 "Fuck your Missiles"

An upgrade to the existing countermeasures, this now aerodynamic shell now contains the ability to mount either flares or radar scattering chaff.  The formula for the flares is much longer lasting, and both are able to be ejected via rockets a large distance before deploying to prevent missiles from damaging our planes.  They are small enough so that there is the potential to add many to each wing.

Given the number of things being done, this is too much for a revision, and we really want to head off the potential for them making a Radar missile.  Given our air superiority is one of the reasons we last pushed them out of the desert and flares are the only way we've been somewhat countering their missiles, I'd be damn sure they'll be making one for this coming turn.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:12:25 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 500