Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592296 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6090 on: May 23, 2018, 10:54:37 am »

We didn’t force anything there. We lost but they didn’t advance because they attacked Titan instead. Basically my hope with the Horsekiller II is that proper snipers will help with dealing with the ambush advantage they have, ESPECIALLY with the aswang no longer complex.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: May 23, 2018, 10:58:53 am »

Quake proposed the idea of stealing their aswang in revision now that it's no longer complex, and I gotta admit I really like the idea.

We went six turns without building anything of note, let's steal some of their high-tech shit.  They've put at least three designs into the aswang - it's perfect for theft.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: May 23, 2018, 10:59:58 am »

Changing one major thing about the Horsekiller II: Switching semi-auto fire to bolt action. Bolt action gives better reliability (especially in very cold or very sandy places). It also gives better power and accuracy due to using all the gasses to propel the bullet, instead if redirecting some to cycle the action. Semi-auto doesn't give much advantage for a 15mm gun used at extreme range, you don't want to be rapid firing that at all.

Also fixing the name to fit our naming scheme, and fixing a small historical error.

Quote from: Not The Design We Deserve, But The Design We Need
Design: UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II

Forenia is in deep trouble. 

Our country has lost ground, citizens have been displaced as the war encroaches on our homes, and our allies question our military prowess.  There is plenty of blame to go around for our misfortunes, but any true Forenian knows the real cause.

The Horsekiller is no longer in service.

Without the famed weapon and its horse-stopping abilities, filthy pirates have entered our home.  This is why we at Al-Fahad Home and Safety Firearms Inc. are proud to introduce the UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II!  A weapon truly worthy of carrying the name "Horsekiller", the Mk II features numerous improvements over the venerable predecessor. Rifled and elongated barrel. Bolt action for better accuracy, power, and reliability in harsh conditions. A multi-lug bolt to improve the repeatability of the bolts seal in the action and therefore the gas pressure curve experienced by the projectile. Eight-round magazine replacing the need to Breach-load after every shot. Recoil dampeners in the stock, padded cheek rest on the stock. Muzzle brake to reduce recoil or optional flash-hider. Dig-in adjustable bipods for ease of use, or you can can replace the bipod with large skids for use on very soft terrain like snow or loose sand. Light-weight but durable aluminum in all non-load-bearing components. The entire gun is painted camo to avoid giving the snipers position away. It even features a bayonet lug, perfect for motorcycle jousting and for skewering pirates as you drop from the sky.

Uses the new 15mm Horsekiller II cartridges, which are entirely different from the old .60 cal horsekiller cartriges. High-grade powder in brass casings, with increased powder loads to match the elongated barrel. The standard ammo is tungsten-core rounds to penetrate flimsy pirate armor, but it is also usable with all the ammo types we have developed so far (incendiary, explosive, hollow point, etc).

perhaps most importantly of all, non-[COMPLEX] UF-RS-43 Eagle Sight MKIII scopes for long-range pirate removal! Available in magnifications of 2x, 4x, or 8x. Scopes come with a sunshade to prevent scope glint. They also have markings to account for bullet drop and windage and assist with rangefinding. The new scopes can of course be used with any of our rifles, not just the Horsekiller II.

The Horsekiller Mk II is the rifle that will defend our homes. Combining Moskurg firepower with Arstotzkan precision gives us the most efficient method of pirate removal to date.  Whether it's camping in the dunes, hiding in a vantage point in the jungle, peeking out of a foxhole in the tundra, or killing pirates from the deck of a cargoship, there's no place at all the Horsekiller Mk II won't out-perform the competition.

Just check out what our proud Forenian marksmen had to say when they tried out the Horsekiller Mk II:
Code: [Select]
Lance Corporal Davydov Eriks Svyatoslavovich:
"This thing is a beast.  I mean it, it's like....a living, fuckin' breathing monster, belching fire and lead and shit.  You shoot the thing and you deaf for like, half a second.  I'd say it's frightening, if I were some kind of pussy pirate or something."

Lance Corporal Talaal al-Khatib
"This thing will blow your tits clean off.  I mean, *clean* off.  Whether you're getting hit by it, shooting it, standing nearby - bam.  Tits gone.  This thing is that powerful."

Lance Corporal Golovkin Valerianovich
"After trying this thing out, all I gotta say is whatever sonofabitch keeps our military from getting their hands on this thing is a traitor.  A real, god-damned traitor.  They would have to hate Forenia not to want us to be pointing these things at Cannalans."

The Horsekiller Mk II is a great gift for anyone!  Get your son one to teach him how to shoot.  Get your daughter one to keep her safe from the Cannalan Pirate Rapists!  Get one for your wife to carry to her bookclub meetings.  Get one yourself, for home defense!

The Horsekiller Mk II will kill a Bull as solidly as a horse.  If you are a true patriot with real Forenian blood in your veins, come get yours today.

Quote from: Vote Thing
(3) UF-MLRS-43 "Artemis" : QuakeIV, VoidSlayer, Jilladilla
(5) Horsekiller Mk II: eS, Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk
(1) Grapejuice Cluster Bomb: Wizgrot
(1) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:17:25 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: May 23, 2018, 11:05:49 am »

Sure, that's fine.  The bolt action makes sense.

I'd left it as simply "Mk II" to keep it in line with the original Horsekiller, modifying the name as little as possible out of respect for the venerable weapon.  What do people think, is the updated name better or is Mk II acceptable?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: May 23, 2018, 11:09:07 am »

It keeps the Moskurg name, but it gets the Arstotzkan numbers and letters, like everything else we have ever made in this war. Because Forenia is a compromise between Moskurg and Arstotzka, that is why we have the naming convention that is a mix of both, to avoid either side getting upset. Convention still applies even when the design is based off an old Moskurg weapon. I am okay with removing the B, or changing the AMR to different letters if there is something more appropriate.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: May 23, 2018, 11:25:05 am »

What NAV said. We don't need to rename old weapons to fit the Forenian naming scheme, but new weapons should use the new scheme.

(5) Horsekiller Mk II: eS, Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk
(2) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27:19 am »

Whatever. Just give this old Moskurger his Horsekiller already.

(4) Horsekiller Mk II: eS, Powder Miner, Happerry
(3) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: May 23, 2018, 11:33:12 am »

This is a tough one as all three of these systems I had versions of on my drawing board.

With the Daybreaker cannon, MURDER RPG, and the new ATGM, we really can't face their mechanized forces symmetrically anymore.  CAS and IDF called in by Scout Snipers is really the way forward strategically.  (Literally what the Russians have been doing in Ukraine for the past few years BTW.)

We've needed a good aerial AT munition for a long time now. With with our Firecracker submunitions as a tech base, and the old but reliable Haast as a platform, a duel purpose cluster munition would be the obvious solution.  Air deployed minefields would also be a great capability to have.  Unfortunately the VVF Q was a complete disaster and we're one good Cannalan design away from losing the skies again.

If we're going the IDF route, MRLS is the way to go.  The Sarukh is relatively ancient (1940!) and could benefit from newer rocketry advances (Piracy Warning) and all-terrain amphibious chassis (Salamander) for the Artemis.  Jesus, more than triple the warhead and five times the battery size!?!  That's an ambitious amount of firepower there, but exactly what we need to commit to IDF.

But what good are IDF and CAS without forward observers?  Snipers love being marketed as killers, but are also invaluable recon assets.  Worried about RPG and AGTM ambushes prior to a mechanized advance?  Send the Scout Snipers a day before.  They'll be dialled in to take out AT teams the day of the advance.  Give them a radio and they become amazing FiST'ers.  Put them on a stealthy LRS/LRRP mission and they've find all kinds of shit to rain fire upon.  .60 cal is overkill, but probably more efficient than developing a newer rifle cartridge.  The recoil on .60 cal is probably too ridiculous for semi-auto so might as well go bolt action for reliability.  If we get a solid roll on what shouldn't be too difficult a project, we could get optics for our assault rifles too.  The last time we fought in mountains, the battle report really stressed how neither side had cheap scoped rifles.

It's a tough call between the MRLS and sniper system + universal optics.  I'm going for the Horsekiller and hope our commanders know how to use it correctly.  At the very least, we're sure to get a battle report with a guy's head being blown off.

(4) Horsekiller Mk II: eS, Powder Miner, Happerry
(3) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Conscript Five

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: May 23, 2018, 11:37:25 am »

Alright, I'll go ahead and merge the Horsekiller designs. I doubt anyone will complain.

(8) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, eS, Powder Miner, Happerry, ConscriptFive

Feel free to clean up the strike-through portions of the design, NAV. I'm happy with the new design, except for the superfluous "B" (I think the Mk II already covers that)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: May 23, 2018, 11:48:31 am »

Alright, I'll go ahead and merge the Horsekiller designs. I doubt anyone will complain.

(8) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, eS, Powder Miner, Happerry, ConscriptFive

Feel free to clean up the strike-through portions of the design, NAV. I'm happy with the new design, except for the superfluous "B" (I think the Mk II already covers that)

No, no the name is perfect the way it is.  Maybe even too short.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:25:36 pm by VoidSlayer »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: May 23, 2018, 11:52:34 am »

Removed the B. Removed the strikethroughs. Removed kebab.

Edit: Mentioned that scopes are usable with all our guns. Changed cartridge to from .60 cal 15mm. Made it usable with all our existing bullet types.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:41:23 pm by NAV »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: May 23, 2018, 12:45:49 pm »

(9) UF-AMR-43 Horsekiller Mk II B: NAV, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, eS, Powder Miner, Happerry, ConscriptFive, Stabby

I feel like this is the best option here but we really should think about improving our Arty at some point.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: May 23, 2018, 12:53:21 pm »

It would probably be a good idea to suggest an artillery revision after the design happens.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: May 23, 2018, 01:08:07 pm »

Why not try to make a night vision scope for the revision to the Horse Killer, then we can do a full design next turn to create a more generic one for all our troops.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: May 23, 2018, 01:08:55 pm »

Perhaps we could develop gyroscope-stabilised Sarukh rockets with bigger engines, for a considerably longer range?
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 500