Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590862 times)

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1941 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #4080 on: June 19, 2017, 10:58:19 pm »

The allies had surprisingly good luck using wooden gliders to land jeeps and anti-tank weapons during d-day. It might be worth looking into - they were towed by a plane with a bit less payload than the Reckless, and landed the night before the invasion to avoid being shot at. Losses were from ~20% to ~40% from what I could find. Though, the only vehicles we could land this way are the tiger and the AS-MV21-AL (or the motorcycle for all the good that would do).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_CG-4

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:08 pm »

I don't have much to say regarding this discussion, just waiting for the battle report to see if we lost the Jungle. Anyway, +1 vote to the GEV TB Ekaterina if we're going for it.

Next turn, if we keep jungle, go on with the guided glide bomb. If we lose jungle, then Turbohaast or if we're feeling brave, the Saltseeker. Although I wouldn't like to try the Saltseeker without at least some experience in guided weapons from the glide bomb, so let's hope we keep the jungle for another turn.

United Forenia Forever!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: June 20, 2017, 12:16:39 am »

One point I wish to bring up for the anti-ship crowd.  Do you have an actually historically proven way to get around their navy?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: June 20, 2017, 12:24:12 am »

Perhaps if we had some sort of torpedo boat analogue to use our awesome torpedoes more effectively ... perhaps one which had great speed and agility to get around and through their defensive fire ... perhaps one which used our more extensive plane-making experience to build, and also looked super cool ...

(vote Ekaterina!)

United Forenia Forever!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:37 am »

How much agility to ekranoplans have? I expect them to be awesome, but I wouldn't be surprised if they became prone ot unstable tilting if they gave 'it' too much rudder. I could be wrong though. Regardless, it would make them most awesome of all possible landing craft...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggsf_X9w4N4
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:57:04 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: June 20, 2017, 02:07:23 am »

Depends on the design. Honestly, depending on how we build it there are good odds that they could actually fly like a real plane after having dropped their payload.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: June 20, 2017, 07:30:13 am »

I hate the idea of an ekranoplan or whatever it's called. It's a terrible idea.

But, after next turn, once we have some guided munitions, I might even do it just to sea the Cannalan saltiness go off the charts.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: June 20, 2017, 07:43:07 am »

Doing guided ammunition next turn is a mistake, even if you want to do guided ammunition.

First, we need a bomber which can effectively deploy them. If we make the bombs first, we give Cannalla ample warning before we get to deploy them.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:41 am »

How do we give them warning?

If we can't immediately deploy them from our various aircraft, then we hide the design and Cannala officially knows nothing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:14 am »

The Ice Giant was to act as a mothership for glide bombs, iirc

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: June 20, 2017, 08:01:15 am »

I'd use Recklesses.

Have a few Reckless Effects roll up, drop the glide bombs with lots of different-colored flares on the tails, and then one or two more loiter for a while (Jet-engine high-altitude refits, anyone?) with troop bays full of glide-bomb controllers, as many as can be fit in there while still letting them see the bombs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:46 am »

How do we give them warning?

Because we can deploy them from Reckless Effects or Icegiants or HAFB's, and you clearly want to do that.

However in the combat report we'll get a nice explanation about how the effectiveness of the design is curtailed by the drawbacks of the plane used to deploy them.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:03 am »

Really?

If they're specifically made to be pulled out of the aircraft via parachute or just pushed, then guided in by a man in a spacious glass bubble on a retrofitted Reckless or even an Ice Giant, how will they be less than effective?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:31 am »

Because being pushed out of an aircraft is a terrible, terrible way to deploy a bomb. Pulled it out of the aircraft with a parachute is even worse because that results in an unpredictable decrease in velocity, depending on when the parachute deploys and disengages.

Glide bombs are inherently limited in how much they can change the course of the bomb. By deploying from an aircraft without even a bombing sight, and in such a primitive manner, you make the precision element of the bomb completely pointless.

After all, a bomb that can hit any target within a 500 meter radius won't work if you deploy it a kilometer of course.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:08 am »

Unless we simply have or make better glide bombs.

We're limited in techs we can design at once, but remember, we compensate by being able to jump tech ludicrously fast. So if we want to make a long-distance glide bomb with large corrective margins, we can do it.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 500