Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591144 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2475 on: May 23, 2017, 08:02:02 am »

WARNING: MASSIVE AMOUNT OF SALT! Skip below after the spoiler to see the problems with the 'revised' Sobriety.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because people seem to be interested in the twin-engine design AND the Sobriety name, I've shamelessly mashed together the two designs into a 'Pattern B' blueprint.  It features all the nice stuff from both designs into a more cohesive, well-rounded plane.  Probably too late in the vote for it to gain any traction, but I feel like it's a nice middle ground between the two of them.

That is again misrepresenting it; let me go through the design in detail:

The wings are back-swept to minimize high-speed drag and place the center of gravity further forward

This is about the same as saying: "To save weight, all aluminium parts of the fuselage will be replaced by uranium". I really cannot think of a good way to explain why shifting things backward will shift centre of gravity backward, because it's that obvious. At the very least, it'll give Sensei opportunity to make fun of our engineers?

and the elevator is moved further up the rudder to prevent span wise airflow and turbulence from diminishing its effect.

Already explained up there why this is not a problem except on the Me 262 in particular.

...wait.

Because the engines were slow to arrive, Messerschmitt moved the engines from the wing roots to underwing pods, allowing them to be changed more readily if needed; this would turn out to be important, both for availability and maintenance. Since the BMW 003 jets proved heavier than anticipated, the wing was swept slightly, by 18.5°, to accommodate a change in the center of gravity.

Is this where the swept-wings=change in CG came from? Again, if you're going to copy-paste the Wikipedia article on the Me 262 as a design, you could at least bother to read it in full. Said wing sweep was to move the CG backwards.

two AS-AC18s and one Sorraia can be installed in the nose in-line with the aircraft to provide excellent shot convergence.

Nose-mounted guns do not need to converge! Here's the Wikipedia article on gun harmonisation, relevant quote:

Fighters with central guns, mounted in the fuselage or a central gondola, typically aimed them straight ahead rather than converging them. A fighter such as the German Bf 109E "Emil" model carried a combination of central and wing guns; the wing guns were converged to a point but the central guns could always be counted upon to aim directly at the target.

I am pretty sure three barrels on the nose do not need to be zeroed to converge at any distance whatsoever for effectiveness. If anything, a hilarious bug would be "your engineers converge the three guns to a point 50m ahead of the fighter, however, at distances of 200m or more enemy aircraft can pass through the diverging fire and shoot you down completely untouched." Which would be funny, but also salt-inducing.

folding wings

Let's NOT do this as an essential part of the design. Swept wings are already harder to make folding and maintain the same structural strength as a straight-wing, it would basically be an invitation for "Your fighter's wings tear off in flight due to improper installation of the complex wing joint, much like a certain Cannalan fighter used to do." The Thunderbird consigns the folding wings to a secondary part of the design for a reason.

gyroscopic reflective sights

Can we not do what is also a rather complicated piece of equipment together with jet engines? I appreciate we have reflector sights already, but taking that to mean gyroscopic sights will be easy is rather like assuming building a car will be easy because you're already building wheels. The first British gyro gunsight was developed and used for combat in 1941, while the Germans started development in 1935 but only made it to production and combat in 1944.

But wait, we have the Bumblebee already! Here's the description:

has an iron two-ringed "spiderweb" sight. The gun is aimed with two traversal wheels. Fires fuzed flak rounds, which have an adjustable timer set by a dial on the gun itself. There is also a mechanical targeting calculator, which has a dial for target range, and rate of change of range, which can set the fuze time for shells accurately as the target moves. Additionally given an altitude and angle, the sight will automatically offset so that the gunner need merely keep the crosshair over the target.

It's a stretch to assume that mechanical targeting calculator=gyroscopic sight, but for the sake of argument, let's be generous and say Sensei gives it to us as basis for development. We still need to miniaturise it for weight and size for aircraft usage. Not to mention that aircraft and their gyroscopes change attitude extremely rapidly, unlike this targeting computer which handles really only two variables, from a fixed location on the ground.

Gyroscopic sights would be a huge boon to all our fighters, but I would rather have a jet fighter that flies, rather than one which doesn't but has a really cool gunsight. It's a good idea for a revision, though.

Ok, if you've made it this far, then congrats! I'm adding the streamlined canopy and tricycle undercarriage into the Thunderbird design, because I feel that those are really the only parts worth adding.

P.S. And the wing fences, because they're stupidly easy and Soviet to boot!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:06:35 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 23, 2017, 08:23:35 am »

Well. That seems like a reasonable, relatively well researched breakdown. Much as I like the name Sobriety, it alone is not enough to convince me to vote for a needlessly more complex design. Sorry, eS.
UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (2) Happerry
UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern B w/research credit: (8) evictedSaint, Piratejoe, stabby, NAV, Madman198237, Olith McHuman, Powder Miner, Taricus
UFAF-I-40 'Dart': (1) Strongpoint
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (9) Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159, Lightforger, NUKE9.13

Legalise Marijuana : (3) Khan Boyzitbig, Stabby, Piratejoe
NO DEVIL WEED: (2) Voidslayer, Kot
Leave the cannabis discussion for the Strategy Phase (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, evictedSaint
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 23, 2017, 08:33:23 am »

UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (2) Happerry
UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern B w/research credit: (7) evictedSaint, Piratejoe, stabby, NAV, Madman198237, Olith McHuman, Powder Miner
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (10) Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159, Lightforger, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Leave the cannabis discussion for the Strategy Phase (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, evictedSaint
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:52 am »

Someone add me to thunderbird pls
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 23, 2017, 09:07:39 am »

Thanks, Azzuro!  You gave me a lot to read about.  You really did a lot of research on this design.  You weren't kidding about the salt, but your reasoning seems sound. 

Someone add me to the Thunderbird, please

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 23, 2017, 09:17:17 am »

UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (1) Happerry
UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern B w/research credit: (6) Piratejoe, stabby, NAV, Madman198237, Olith McHuman, Powder Miner
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (12) Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159, Lightforger, NUKE9.13, Taricus, evictedSaint, helmacon

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:01 am »

UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (1) Happerry
UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern B w/research credit: (5) Piratejoe, NAV, Madman198237, Olith McHum8an, Powder Miner
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (13) Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159, Lightforger, NUKE9.13, Taricus, evictedSaint, helmacon, Stabby

Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:07 am »

Funny how I think that both designs are too ambitious.

Thunderbird has a chance to be good but I would very much prefer a careful approach without trying to make the first jet aircraft outright better than a good piston engine fighter. Early jets had poor performance...

Just because I am bored. Revision that has no chance to become a real thing.

AS-HF-32c "Roar"
This aircraft is an ambitious mixed power upgrade of the trusty AS-HF-32 fighter. It is made little longer and its rear area is reworked to allow instalment of a single turbojet engine. Additionally, its piston engine is replaced by a supercharged V12 engine. Even without secondary engine being turned on the more powerful V12 allows to keep the same speed as "b" version even with the added weight of the turbojet engine. With both engines HF-32c is capable to outrun any aircraft currently in service.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:45 am »

A V12 engine is a piston engine.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 23, 2017, 09:59:53 am »

I know. This is why it is a mixed power fighter
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:24 am »

I know. This is why it is a mixed power fighter
From my research there has been 178 mixed powered craft built, and the four designs that make up most of them built they were all bombers that went obsolete the second jets became common.

So if anything I vote againisted a mixed power designed.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 23, 2017, 11:04:40 am »

Quote from: stabbymcstabstab link=topic=163937.msg7462952#msg7462952
From my research there has been 178 mixed powered craft built, and the four designs that make up most of them built they were all bombers that went obsolete the second jets became common.

So if anything I vote againisted a mixed power designed.
*Yawns*

Just because I am bored. Revision that has no chance to become a real thing.
I know that this thing won't get a single vote. I am not even sure I'd consider voting for it myself (game with plausible ahistorical designs would be quite fun and could create interesting strategies but I doubt it is possible in this kind of competitive format.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »

Wow that was salty and very hard to read. Like, physically painful that you couldn't calm yourself while doing research. I don't mind being wrong---I mind when the opponent can't recognize that they're being silly and then edit the post. Nobody wanted to read the salty part of your research, just the research which suggests that Design "Whatever" is better than Design "Who Cares?".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 23, 2017, 02:32:48 pm »

UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (0)
UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern B w/research credit: (5) Piratejoe, NAV, Madman198237, Olith McHum8an, Powder Miner
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (14) Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159, Lightforger, NUKE9.13, Taricus, evictedSaint, helmacon, Stabby, Happerry

Leave the cannabis discussion for the Strategy Phase (4): Powder Miner, Lightforger, evictedSaint, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »

UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (0)
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (14) Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159, Lightforger, NUKE9.13, Taricus, evictedSaint, helmacon, Stabby, Happerry

Leave the cannabis discussion for the Strategy Phase (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, evictedSaint, Happerry, Funk
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 500