Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591140 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2415 on: May 22, 2017, 01:08:53 pm »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (5) evictedSaint, Happerry, Powder Miner, Funk, Stabby
UFAF-I-40 'Dart': (1) Strongpoint
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (9) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159

Legalise Marijuana : (2) Khan Boyzitbig, Stabby
NO DEVIL WEED: (2) Voidslayer, Kot

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: May 22, 2017, 01:14:30 pm »

The Tiger armour is widespread, and it's not getting any more practical due to the materials involved. Until we're getting ballistic fibres the tiger armour is basically where it is; we've bottomed out on any improvements to it.
I'm not proposing kevlar or ceramic armor (most trauma plates today are made of steel anyways), I'm saying the design could be way better. Since it's full body armor and can't be worn in any other configuration it only sees use in assaults and for men on emplacements and is no doubt exhausting to wear. If we make it modular then the troops can have something like modern body armor that troops could potentially wear during marches, or highly mobile reserve troops who are exploiting breakouts caused by assaults and tank crews could benefit from a cut-down Tiger armor that is less bulky, without getting rid of the option to go full medieval knight that is so iconic to our forces.
It's not actually so heavy that it's only worn on emplacements, but this is its chief use in areas where walking is difficult to begin with, like the mountain and jungle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2417 on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:51 pm »

I didn't say that, but yes my point is there would be benefit in a model that compromises between armor and mobility.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: May 22, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »

Current map.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: May 22, 2017, 01:48:29 pm »

@3_14159  They have two sections of plains, not one.

@Azzuro Sorry - I didn't mean to snap.  Your concerns are valid, and I was frustrated to suddenly hear all the problems with a design I'd been tweaking for a few days. 

That being said, I still think "Thunderbird" is a boring name - Fuckbringer was just a placeholder name, and no one decried the Reckless effect until Sensei mocked me ;_;

Spanwise airflow is a real thing btw, and swept wings pull the airflow away from the elevator and give it turbulance to work with.  Putting the elevator higher up the rudder gives it a cleaner airflow to work with - this is why the MiG 15 has its tail the way it does.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2420 on: May 22, 2017, 01:48:36 pm »

Looks like now would be a great time for that lander revision.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: May 22, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »

@3_14159  They have two sections of plains, not one.
Are you sure? The Winter 1939 turn saw us at [Cannala 1/3, Forenia 2/3], and apparently nobody attacked there for the last two turns.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: May 22, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »

...I must be losing my mind. I could have sworn they gained another section.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22:55 pm »

It's a better idea, I think, to use that revision if we can to continue putting pressure on the jungle rather than let our offense on that front founder at the last minute again.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:05 pm »

We should use our revision to fix broken things, like our new jet, or the Archer.  A lander wont help us get oil from Mutriqa if they still have naval advantage
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:37:23 pm by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: May 22, 2017, 02:25:57 pm »

It's a better idea, I think, to use that revision if we can to continue putting pressure on the jungle rather than let our offense on that front founder at the last minute again.
Yeah, the jungle is a better place to focus our efforts, to ensure victory.
...but I think an even better place will be on our new jet. I'm predicting right now that even on a 6 we'll have things we want to fix, change, or improve.
Long Live United Forenia!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2426 on: May 22, 2017, 02:28:54 pm »

Yeah y'all are probably right. It's just frustrating being totally unable to attack off of the islands once we secure them.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: May 22, 2017, 02:47:16 pm »

That being said, I still think "Thunderbird" is a boring name - Fuckbringer was just a placeholder name, and no one decried the Reckless effect until Sensei mocked me ;_;
Actually, yeah. Can we rename the Thunderbird the Sobriety? I like that name. It'll really put the fear in the Cannalans.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (6) evictedSaint, Happerry, Powder Miner, Funk, Stabby, Madman198237
UFAF-I-40 'Dart': (1) Strongpoint
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (9) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN, 3_14159

Legalise Marijuana : (2) Khan Boyzitbig, Stabby
NO DEVIL WEED: (2) Voidslayer, Kot

Assuming that we can't just build a jet engine (Instead of the whole plane at once), I'm voting for eS's proposal because we're GOING to be spending a lot of time on this, regardless. We're stuck. Might as well shoot high and get a fully functional jet fighter ASAP. This way, we have a slim chance of not using two turns, because it's basically the epitome of what we want to have.

The limiting factors of early jets were heat-resistant materials (Junkers Jumo 004's especially---ten hour expected operating life) and, a bit later, transonic flight issues. If we avoid the transonic issue, all we have to do is use our resources to get around the heating issue, if it crops up.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:49 pm »

We could explicitely state the internals of the engine use Titanium - this will increase ore cost by 1 until we take the tundra to the south.  Modern jet engines use it to keep the internals from turning to soup.

I support Nuke's proposal to name the Thunderbird the Sobriety - nothing would terrify Cannala more. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:53:40 pm by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 500