Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591570 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2085 on: May 18, 2017, 03:07:10 pm »

...here's a thought.  We need a transport for next turn to reclaim the oil, right?  We also want to be able to airdrop more.  What if we upgrade the Reckless for our revision?  Boost the engines to give it more transport capability, larger wingspan for more lift, more cupholders, one of those little plastic "push in case of emergency" boxes with yellow-and-black stripes to go over the "eject" button, etc.

Attack the Jungle: (3) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint
Occupy Mutriqa (Small desert island): (3) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 18, 2017, 03:09:28 pm »

It could be an interesting revision, if we can squeeze some engine improvement. Not sure if we can get more than 1 TC however.
Also, we don't really need the oil next turn.

Attack the Jungle: (4) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Andrea
Occupy Mutriqa (Small desert island): (4) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Andrea

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 18, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »

If we need transport capacity and a lander, why not try and combine those? Take our destroyer as a revision, remove guns, add some loading hatches and a bow ramp, and done.

Attack the Jungle: (5) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Andrea, 3_14159
Occupy Mutriqa (Small desert island): (5) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Andrea, 3_14159

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 18, 2017, 03:12:50 pm »

that would be a better idea, I think.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 18, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »

Attack the Jungle: (5) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Andrea, Piratejoe
Occupy Mutriqa (Small desert island): (5) NUKE9.13, GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Andrea, Piratejoe
As said by everyone, its quite obvious...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:40 pm »

I'm calling it: The vote's over. We aren't going to choose anything else. Roll when ready, Sensei!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 18, 2017, 04:01:35 pm »

I still think that we could revise a 2 T.C. aeroplane by cutting the fornt off of one and the back off of another and wwelding the two largest pieces together...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 18, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »

Design: UFAF-F39 'Fuckbringer'

Designed as a pure air superiority fighter, the 'Fuckbringer' is the next generation in piston-based aircraft.  It is armed with only two nose-mounted 20 mm AC18 cannons to save weight, and features a single hard-point on the fuselage where a single 100 kg bomb or drop-tank can be mounted.  Perhaps the most ambitious aspect of the 'Fuckbringer' is the new engine; an H24 two-staged three-speed twincharged inline engine.  It is the single most powerful engine built in Forenia.  It is essentially two V12 engines placed horizontally against one another - this symmetry has a surprising benefit of eliminating both first order and second order vibration.  The engine features a methanol-water liquid cooling system to put up with the intense heat generated by the motor.  The aerodynamics of the plane reflect its role as a superiority fighter; clipped wings to improve roll rate, reinforced wings and tail to allow sharper turns, the powerful engine allows for high climbing speed, and combat flaps and slats for low-speed maneuvers.  The cockpit also features a new "teardrop" shaped design to allow the pilot to see all around them without unnecessary obstruction.  The 'Fuckbringer' is equipped with radio, O2, retractable landing gear, and folding wings.

Design: UFS-CV-39 'Tiger Star', Pattern A

Similar to the Wasp Nest, the Tiger Star is a carrier designed to project Forenia's airpower further at sea.  Build from the ground-up to be a carrier rather than relying on the converted hull of a CV22, it features a longer runway with a steam-powered catapult to launch planes that require take-off assistance.  In addition to the longer runway, it also features two pneumatically powered lifts on the rear of the ship, allowing it double the launch speed of aircraft.  Additionally, the increased runway allows plays to be stored above-deck when expecting combat situations, allowing planes to be scrambled.  A single lift sits in the end of the ship to allow planes to land and be stored below-deck; this lift defaults in the "up" position when unpowered.  The Tiger Star also features an above-deck command tower/smokestack combo, off-set to one side of the runway and counterbalanced by engine placement below deck.  The hanger features three "fire curtains" and has enough room for unused planes to be hung from the rafters.

The edges of the carrier are liberally sprinkled with bumblebees and AC18's for defense, as well as a new "safety net" to prevent careless sailors from falling into the ocean.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:45:08 pm by evictedSaint »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2093 on: May 18, 2017, 06:04:44 pm »

I'm disappointed that the radar still isn't small enough to deploy on all our ships. A new carrier would be great but we still need a lander so we can exploit our naval advantage.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 18, 2017, 06:10:23 pm »

Look, the improved radios don't really give us that much of an advantage. Our advantage was being able to listen in on Cannalan comms and thus know their strategies and tactics, which was foiled by their new radio set and not solved for their revision. Similarly, encrypting our own comms is not yet necessary as they have not yet been stated to be decrypting OUR own comms and using that to gain an advantage. If you really wanted to match the Cannalans, you would go for decryption machines to regain our comms advantage.

Oh, and I don't think the reduced size is much of an advantage either. Congrats, we've gone from having it in two backpacks to having it in one! This only affects our paratroopers, the rest of our infantry gain very little from this. And I think that we definitely have more normal infantry than paratroopers.

But whatever. I don't think anyone else has a different strategy, so not bothering to vote.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:14:24 pm by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 18, 2017, 06:19:47 pm »

I think we almost wasted a revision on that radio even with the lucky 5 roll. The only good long-term effect is that it, in theory, should help with future projects like radio guidance. But I doubt that we will go this way because no one even tries to make long term plans and prefer to react on turn by turn basis.

But whatever. I don't think anyone else has a different strategy, so not bothering to vote.
I have a different strategy. I offered to revise a bomber (and proposed several other options), but the radio hype was too strong, just like carrier fighter with a ton of bombs voting train.

PS. Yep. I am salty.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:21:53 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 18, 2017, 06:21:01 pm »

>>>>>>>not realizing the value of special ops

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 18, 2017, 06:21:37 pm »

Cannala has gained one aspect of infantry advantage, their new "Bureaucrat's Wife" radio set means every squad has a radio operator, and can communicate and receive orders without stopping to set up their radio.
Our old radio was 30 pounds and required 2 people just to carry it. Now we share the advantage above.

Also what Powder said.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 18, 2017, 06:24:05 pm »

>>>>>>>not realizing the value of special ops

This isn't the 21st century, special ops don't win wars on their own. Neither do paratroopers, see Operation Market Garden.

I now regret putting up that rocket, because Infantry QoL would have been better.

United Forenia Forever!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 18, 2017, 06:25:36 pm »

Yeah, but our special ops aren't operating in a vacuum. We're getting actual ackmowledgement of the effectiveness of our paratroopers in this n the actual text of the turns.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 500