Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591125 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1320 on: May 12, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »

Why should we vote for a cruiser that has smaller guns than the Khorne? It'll just get outranged like our destroyers. A cruiser doesn't play to our strengths.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 12, 2017, 06:49:33 pm »

Can I get any votes or suggestions for the aircraft below?

UFAF-FB-39 "Predator"
This new aircraft is based on an old Moskurk Yellowjacket design and looks rather similar but it benefits tremendously from applying Arstotzka's engineering solutions and war experience. It incorporates all the improvements designed for Stinger as well as reliability solutions tested on Reckless effort. It is better armed going from six Sorraria to 2 AC-18s in the wings and 2 Sorrarias in the nose scheme that proved its effectiveness on Stinger.

It is slightly wider and significantly shorter  Yellowjacket because it's V10 engine is replaced by a new very powerful twin row fourteen cylinder radial engine coming with all usual advancement seen on Florenian aviation engines. Another important upgrade is a pair of three blade contra-rotating propellers that were not inspired by observed wrecks of Cannalan's fighter

F-39s frame has undergone numerous tests in the wind tunnel resulting in more efficient shape of its wings and tail. While aircraft is optimized for low-attitude performance, it is capable to defend itself on higher attitudes. Needless to say that it is capable to be launched from Wasp Nests

Unlike Yellowjacket, Predator is developed with a fighter-bomber role in mind. It is capable to carry 250kg of bombs, has decent anti-ground armor and carries many 20mm rounds for strafing runs against targets like Buccaneer boats, artillery pieces and light enemy vehicles

Target cost is 5 Ore (2Al), 4 Oil
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:52:35 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 12, 2017, 06:59:15 pm »

The guns of the archer aren't too badly outranged with the rocket assisted shells, a bigger cannon would have a far greater range than the 150mm guns on the Khorne even if they'd be a little weak. They'd be perfectly suited to getting rid of those Seaweeds though, and our aircraft will have an easier time getting through if they don't have to worry about the AA on those ships.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 12, 2017, 07:02:00 pm »

I personally believe that a new air unit would be the best use of our design action this time around. Then we can revise the Tiger Shark or something similar.
But the Tadpole is probably my second choice to a new aircraft.

Not changing my vote (yet) to Strongpoint's Predator because I'll let smarter more knowledged people make judgements on it first.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 12, 2017, 07:03:43 pm »

The predator isn't exactly something we need right now, at the very least it doesn't offer much of an improvement over our stingers.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 12, 2017, 07:18:30 pm »

I don't like the idea of building a half-cocked cruiser instead of working on our radar, which could help navally with a bit of improvement, or just improving one of our current naval projects. Improving the Dolphin helped drop them to a simple Naval Advantage, after all.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 12, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »

I'm pretty pleased with the Naval Advantage we've brought them down to, focusing on radar seems like a better idea until we can cook up some proper cruiser worthy guns to tote around.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »

I'm starting to agree with making the radar better via design next turn (although we really need those landers to threaten their titanium, AND having the Tiger Shark would help our APC problem a bit!), since we have two fields that we need big improvement in: size AND functionality.

Instead I think we should revise some good guns for our destroyer this turn, give it a bit of bite.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 12, 2017, 07:39:53 pm »

I'm more then willing to support anyone who wants a radio upgrade however, here is an altered version of my earlier fighter if anyone is interested.

UFAF-1938-S 'Phoenix'
Hopefully not misnamed the phoenix is the next generation of Forenia aircraft. It's powered by a brand new supercharged V-12 and makes use of the aerodynamic breakthroughs our car made. It's armed with two nosed mounted machine guns, four wing mounted 20mm auto cannons and, a carry weight of one metric tons of bombs or torpedoes. The planes is designed with the pilots safety vaguely in mind and makes use of the so called 'tub'. Which is an armored section of the pilots cabin able to take the hits of 20mm autocannons and protect the pilot from nearby flak shells. To further improve it's ability to take hits it makes use of self-sealing fuel tanks. Keeping with it's new generation status the fighter has a retractable landing gear, pressurized cabin, full radio system, oxygen masks in case the cabin gets shot and, folding wings for easier carrier use.

As a side note I'm willing to support a radio upgrade, tank/apc or a new plane. I'm not going to support spending a whole design turn on a lander.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:05:42 pm by Light forger »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 12, 2017, 07:55:42 pm »

We can't make an aircraft that upsizes the cannons to 30mm?

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 12, 2017, 07:57:16 pm »

We can't make an aircraft that upsizes the cannons to 30mm?

The rule of thumb is we can mostly upscale our guns by 30% so I'm guessing we would be cap around 25mm.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 12, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »

The predator isn't exactly something we need right now, at the very least it doesn't offer much of an improvement over our stingers.
I think it is a large improvement. It should be both faster and more resilient and lets us maintain our air advantage no matter what opponent does + it is a substitutional buff to our close air support + it benefits from recent developments. If enemy does nothing aircraft related than we get so far ahead, that we can allow to go for a totally different route. Upscaling guns may me a good idea, making it 1 25mm cannon and two 20mm cannons. May also add folding wings.

I am ready to vote for the cruiser if the bolded part will be added.

UFS-CL-39 Pattern A 'Stalwart-Class' Light Cruiser:
Description: Built to compliment our destroyer flotillas and to provide some meatier gun support for them, the Stalwart is still a light, fast vessel that is lightly armoured on both the deck and the hull. The main guns are directed by a targeting system similar to that of the archer. If the designers have the time, a torpedo belt is included on the armour scheme. Also, includes a simple radar that allows to detect enemy vessels at close range during the night or thick fog and fire without visual contact
-Dimensions: 160m long, 16m beam, 5.5m Draught
-Armament: 8 130mm 'Grenadier' Cannons, in four turrets (2 fore and 2 aft in superfiring position), 24 x AC18 Autocannons, 6x 'Dolphin' Torpedo Launchers
-Armour: Deck and Turrets: 25mm. Belt: 51mm. All in face-hardened steel.
-Engine: 4 Boilers feeding Two Steam turbines

although we really need those landers to threaten their titanium,
"Threatening" does absolutely nothing. We need to take it and landers are simply not enough for that.

UFAF-1938-S 'Phoenix'
Hopefully not misnamed the phoenix is the next generation of Forenia aircraft. It's powered by a brand new supercharged V-12 and makes use of the aerodynamic breakthroughs our car made. It's armed with two nosed mounted machine guns, four wing mounted 20mm auto cannons and a carry weight of two metric tons of bombs or torpedoes. The planes is designed with the pilots safety vaguely in mind and makes use of the so called 'tub'. Which is an armored section of the pilots cabin able to take the hits of 20mm autocannons and protect the pilot from nearby flak shells. To further improve it's ability to take hits it makes use of self-sealing fuel tanks. Keeping with it's new generation status the fighter has a retractable landing gear, pressurized cabin, full radio system, oxygen masks in case the cabin gets shoot and, folding wings for easier carrier use.
IMO, 2 metric tons of bombs+armor+4 autocannons + single engine don't mix well. Also, don't try to make such a heavy aircraft carrier based
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:29 pm »

IMO, 2 metric tons of bombs+armor+4 autocannons + single engine don't mix well. Also, don't try to make such a heavy aircraft carrier based
It's more of a direct rip off the of Vought F4U Corsair which did have a really similar armament of
Quote from: Armament
    Guns:
        6 × 0.50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns, 400 rounds per gun or
        4 × 0.79 in (20 mm) AN/M3 cannon, 231 rounds per gun
    Rockets: 8 × 5 in (12.7 cm) high velocity aircraft rockets and/or
    Bombs: 4,000 pounds (1,800 kg)
and was a naval fighter-bomber. Hmmm I will change the total bomb weight down to a single metric ton.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 12, 2017, 08:08:09 pm »

If we choose to do ships this turn, I posit that we simply upgun our existing Archers.  They're fine ships aside from their lacking firepower.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 12, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »

It's more of a direct rip off the of Vought F4U Corsair which did have a really similar armament of
and was a naval fighter-bomber. Hmmm I will change the total bomb weight down to a single metric ton.
Well, it is late war fighter-bomber that had serious problems with landing on large (comparing to ours) American carriers and was mostly used from land bases. And I am relatively sure that it was unable to take off from the carrier with 2 tons of bombs.

if we choose to do ships this turn, I posit that we simply upgun our existing Archers.  They're fine ships aside from their lacking firepower.
We benefit from having ships in different price categories. I like light cruiser idea, especially if we try to fit radar there.
BTW,  whole idea of "playing our strengths" and having fleet of carriers is not practical, we need a balanced navy.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 500