Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591095 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1350 on: May 13, 2017, 04:43:03 am »

We revise snorkels for deep wading on our tanks, so they can exit when submerged and drive on the sea floor.
But that's what I just can't see.

Let's say we put the tanks inside the submarine, onto the air-filled cargo deck. The submarine now is close to shore, and the tanks want to exit it. They therefore have to erect snorkels. For this, the snorkels have to reach the surface - but the submarine's hull is in the way. And you can't flood the cargo bay and drive out before raising the snorkel, since you still need to breathe and need air for the engine.

That's aside from the fact that tanks' snorkels are usually three metres or so high, and a submarine will never get that close to the shore without running aground.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 13, 2017, 04:46:54 am »

Clearly we need to find a solution. That's our job!
So to that, I say: Telescopic snorkels. Or tank SCUBA tanks.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 13, 2017, 04:52:40 am »

just flexible rubber tubes, which can attach to a buoy for surfacing or to valves on the sub itself.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 13, 2017, 06:12:24 am »

Ah, but seriously. The only experience we have creating submersibles is wholly accidental. To create a sub large and advanced enough to perform landing operations is, like, three steps ahead of what we could feasibly manage.

Look, I'm as big a fan of insanity as the next Forenian, but even insanity has its limits. And those limits are the game mechanics. Goyrlious as it may be, the Jonah is literally impossible at the moment. If you really want to do it, go for a more humble sub first.

Not that I think we should do that either, but at least it would be possible.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1354 on: May 13, 2017, 07:45:54 am »

Quote from: Votes
UF-LSL-39 "Tadpole": (7) GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Kashyyk, Hibou, Chiefwaffles, Powder Miner, Madman198237
UF-SUB-1939 "Jonah": (5) Piratejoe, Andrea, strongpoint, Mulisa, Kot
UFS-LVT-40 39 "Tiger Shark" Variant B: (5) 3_14159, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro, NUKE9.13
UFS-CL-39 'Stalwart Class': (1) Taricus
UF-39-LC "Gator":
Voting for the submarinero simply because I'm against wasting an design turn on a floating box, I'm against getting cruisers and that LVT is meh, we can get better thing by making one of our tanks float.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 13, 2017, 09:07:01 am »

UF-LSL-39 "Tadpole": (7) GUNINANRUNIN, evictedSaint, Kashyyk, Hibou, Chiefwaffles, Powder Miner, Madman198237
UF-SUB-1939 "Jonah": (4) Piratejoe, strongpoint, Mulisa, Kot
UFS-LVT-40 39 "Tiger Shark" Variant B: (6) 3_14159, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, Andrea
UF-39-LC "Gator":

changing my vote back to sanity.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 13, 2017, 09:23:47 am »

How about instead of a snorkel, we make a variant of one of our tanks airtight, and exchange some fuel and speed for air tanks and make it so our tanks don't even need snorkels. This would also make our tanks NBC capable giving us experience in that and help in building high altitude aircraft like jets.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 13, 2017, 10:07:00 am »

UFS-LVT-40 39 "Tiger Shark" Variant B: (7) 3_14159, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, Andrea, Nav
UF-39-LC "Gator":
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:21 am »

Someone add me to tiger shark please
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:33 am »

UFS-LVT-40 39 "Tiger Shark" Variant B: (8) 3_14159, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, Andrea, Nav, helmacon
UF-39-LC "Gator":

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1360 on: May 13, 2017, 11:02:15 am »

Tadpole
- Can deliver more infantry per trip
- Can deliver more supplies per trip
- Can deliver armor

Tiger Shark
- Can deliver infantry very safely
- Can deliver supplies
- Cannot deliver armor and is less capable than existing armor

The way I see it, the Tiger Shark's only advantage in a beach landing is that it can move men further up the beach than a Tadpole. Unlike in the Pacific in WW2, a Cannalan beach will be supported by competently designed medium and heavy armor. Isn't it a dangerous gamble to make that a mixture of infantry and LVTs can seize and then hold a harbor while being threatened by armor?

The Tadpole is the best choice for an invasion scenario where you need to win on the beach, and then also win in the follow up attack that's necessary to seize a facility like a harbor that would be necessary to move in heavier equipment that will consolidate the invasion. From the perspective of an assault, an LVT's utility plummets as soon as its finished getting it's infantry up the beach, and both it and the lander have similar logistics capability.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:04:36 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 13, 2017, 11:07:48 am »

The point of the LVT is that it is also useful in the jungle to ford rivers.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:26 am »

Forgot to vote for my tank didn't I.
UFS-LVT-40 39 "Tiger Shark" Variant B: (8) 3_14159, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, Andrea, Nav, helmacon
UF-39-LC "Gator":
UF-HAT-39-A "Vanguard": (1) Khan Boyzitbig
There we go.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1363 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:10 am »

Hey, hey, friends.
What about we spend the design turn on something actually useful, and revise our destroyer into LCI, but also put an vehicle ramp on it, or something?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 13, 2017, 11:33:07 am »

Hey, hey, friends.
What about we spend the design turn on something actually useful, and revise our destroyer into LCI, but also put an vehicle ramp on it, or something?
Something like this, perhaps:

RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY"
Building on the experience of the Death Ray, engineers worked round the clock to develop newer, more advanced Radar. Since regular radio equipment cannot generate waves of the right wavelength and power, they focused their efforts on a device more suited to the task. Their solution: they used a 'Klystron', a device capable of generating a highish-frequency and highish powered output.
The Deadlier Ray is substantially smaller than the Death Ray, and is more accurate thanks to the shorter wavelength, and gets a clearer response thanks to the higher power. It is small enough to be mounted on a truck, or more importantly a ship. A single unit is capable of determining direction and range, with possible modifications allowing for altitude to be detected as well.

I'd prefer something that lets us take the Jungle this turn, but Radar seems to have more support. Are enough people willing to switch off of landers/LVTs to do this instead? Then we can revise the destroyer into a lander, as Kot suggests.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 500