Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591707 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #1125 on: May 10, 2017, 11:53:29 am »

The wind tunnel for aerodynamic testing is a great idea, should be kept.
Not sure if it is best to upgrade existing engine, which may apply to existing designs, or design a new one/add tech

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 10, 2017, 11:56:54 am »

Quote from: Race Car
"FUN CCCAR" (2): RAM, NUKE9.13
"Glorious" (3): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint

As tempting as it may be to cheat and try and use this as another "design", I think simply building a very good racecar is our best bet.

Do we have a wind tunnel?  If not, we could concievably get away with building a wind tunnel for this car. 

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1127 on: May 10, 2017, 12:00:47 pm »

Here is my suggestion for the race car:

UFC-RC-1939-S 'Valor'
Forenia first and probably last race car. Just behind the middle of the car sits a massive V-16 double-charged engine. The engine has both a normal turbocharger and a brand new supercharger offering an insane amount of horse power. Using our knowledge of planes the car is fitted with wing skirt around the car. This helps the car from ironic becoming air-borne with it's massive horse power. The driver and the transmission sit right in front of the engine and gives the car a center of mass roughly close to the middle.

RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (3) GUNINANRUNIN Piratejoe, Lightforger
I vote for Lightforger's "Valor" race car.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 10, 2017, 12:07:45 pm »

I'm worried about it being a V16.  That's pretty dang long.  The supercharger is a great idea, though; could we make the Glorious use a V12 and tack the supercharger on?  It feels like we individually have a lot of small, loose ideas that just need to come together to make a solid car.  A spoiler, a V12 with Supercharger, wind tunnel, fuel-injection and layered tires...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:09:28 pm by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:58 pm »

Hmm. I suppose building a wind tunnel (slash improving the ones we have, if we already have them) would be quite useful.

Fine. I'd still prefer it if the Glorious was slightly more ambitious with its engine, or tried for one other small new development, but I guess I'll vote for it.

"FUN CCCAR" (1): RAM
"Glorious" (4): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 10, 2017, 12:22:17 pm »

A spoiler, a V12 with Supercharger, wind tunnel, fuel-injection and layered tires...
As I said before supercharger\twincharger is not strictly better than turbocharger and I see little reason spending design time on getting that. Even if this design time is free.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:38 pm »

A V10 isn't very ambituous, though.  Nuke and I both seem to want more power under the hood to go with the aerodynamics upgrade.  I'd settle for two more cylinders.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 10, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »

Using already existing engine makes the design easier and lets us focus on improving one area. This is what I prefer.

As for not being powerful enough... I find it amusing. We are using a large long fighter engine. We can for a real car engine with V12 configuration making smaller car but its engine will be way less powerful.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 10, 2017, 12:50:12 pm »

Here is my suggestion for the race car:

UFC-RC-1939-S 'Valor'
Forenia first and probably last race car. Just behind the middle of the car sits a massive V-16 double-charged engine. The engine has both a normal turbocharger and a brand new supercharger offering an insane amount of horse power. Using our knowledge of planes the car is fitted with wing skirt around the car. This helps the car from ironic becoming air-borne with it's massive horse power. The driver and the transmission sit right in front of the engine and gives the car a center of mass roughly close to the middle.
It need something like this Turbonique Drag Axle or this rocket car from 1928 (with video)
Lets just strap a big rocket to the cars axle.
(later we can add rocket booster to our planes)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 10, 2017, 12:51:50 pm »

Our Stinger uses a V12, as does the Reckless Effect.

But you do have a point; these are aircraft engines, and they're fucking huge.  A V10 is fine, even if I'd prefer going into supercharging (which I think you discount too easily as having no effect; it was a crucial component of the Griffon engine, after all).

Ambition is the slayer of first-time designs, so I'll reluctantly agree that the Glorious is fine as-is.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 10, 2017, 12:53:25 pm »

"Glorious" (3): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Wolfhunter107

Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 10, 2017, 12:54:38 pm »

Our Stinger uses a V12, as does the Reckless Effect.
Nope

AS-HF-32b "Stinger": [L] [Expensive] An aluminum built fighter with a mid wing, which has been revised with retractable landing gear and an oxygen system. It has a long narrow fuselage with a water cooled, turbo charged and fuel injected V10 motor.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 10, 2017, 12:55:40 pm »

"Glorious" (4): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (6) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon, Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Baffler
UFN-TPD-1938-S 'Lamprey': (1) GUNINANRUNIN

Also I think this should wait until next turn, but I'm probably not going to be around to write it up, so I'll just put this here now. Cannala has surpassed us in armor using their new Marauder to support infantry, and we should probably have some answer to that. This is a revision intended to embrace the T2's role in the field as an infantry support vehicle rather than a main battle tank, but it shouldn't obsolete the old one. We should also probably fix the SPAT being too slow to even be worth bothering with at some point too, but regardless of how cool self-propelled artillery would be that probably isn't quite as pressing since we're already winning the artillery war.

UF-AG39 "Striker"
A modified T2 Breaker, revised to better fit its increasing role in infantry support and clearing defensive emplacements. It has been fitted with light armor skirts around the outside of the treads, and the majority of its armor piercing shells have been replaced with high explosive shells. The barrel of its main gun has also been shortened to allow for more sustained firing and a faster turret rotation speed, at the cost of some armor piercing capability. Finally, the tank has been fitted with a pintle-mounted Sorraia machinegun with a front-facing shield, and mounts for a bulldozer blade to assist in clearing mines and other obstructions.

Now edited to fit naming conventions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:06:26 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 10, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (7) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon, Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Baffler, Piratejoe
UFN-TPD-1938-S 'Lamprey': (1) GUNINANRUNIN
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 10, 2017, 01:19:42 pm »

Well, if the gloriousis fitted with a V12, I'll vote for it.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 500