Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591703 times)

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1050 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:29 pm »

Here is my suggestion for the race car:

UFC-RC-1939-S 'Valor'
Forenia first and probably last race car. Just behind the middle of the car sits a massive V-12 supercharged engine. The supercharger significantly increases engine output at the cost of burning more fuel. This helps the car from ironic becoming air-borne with it's massive horse power. The driver and the transmission sit right in front of the engine and gives the car a center of mass roughly close to the middle.

RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (3) GUNINANRUNIN Piratejoe, Lightforger
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:53:36 pm by Light forger »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1051 on: May 09, 2017, 04:52:40 pm »

I throw my vote in with RADAR w/research credit.  If other people are against it, I propose we develop a powerfun new engine to give our aircraft a better power-to-weight ratio.  An amphibious APC can wait 4 more turns, as our paratroopers are doing just fine.

Quote from: Votes
RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (4) GUNINANRUNIN, Piratejoe, evictedSaint, Lightforger

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 09, 2017, 04:54:08 pm »

RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (4) GUNINANRUNIN, Piratejoe, evictedSaint, Lightforger
UF-39-APC "Croc": (2) Kashyyk, Khan
UF-39-LT "Barduk": (1) Mulisa

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »

Radar that can fit on a torpedo is in the realm of impossible. If you guys want radar that much, then design something plausible.

Helicopters are too complex at this stage.
Yes and no. We can get there with dedicated effort. There are no reason why we can't get those earlier than real life.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 09, 2017, 04:57:54 pm »

I agree that aiming for torpedo radar on first design is slightly... overambitious.

Not sure what to vote for. Radar is not an extreme priority before winter but... basically the reason we lost ground this turn was the air. losing the air made us retreat.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 09, 2017, 04:58:15 pm »

Radar will help us be effective through all forms of weather, and with our encrypted radios/general radio abilities, it might even allow night-time level-bombing airstrikes to be made. Radar control ship/station directs aircraft to the target, whether or not they can really see it, and they can then scatter bombs across it. Highly inaccurate, but effective.

RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (4) GUNINANRUNIN, Piratejoe, evictedSaint, Lightforger, Madman198237

EDIT: Plus our carriers will never be caught with their pants down again, since they'll have several extra minutes of scramble time.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1056 on: May 09, 2017, 04:59:57 pm »

Radar that can fit on a torpedo is in the realm of impossible. If you guys want radar that much, then design something plausible.
I tend to treat designs as a wish list. Edited the RADAR description so it ranges from land installations to DDs.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 09, 2017, 05:00:22 pm »

Please no Tankettes they just fail horribly at everything. None of the advantages of a tank and all the disadvantages of an armoured car.

Helicopters with our rocket techs may work quite well, early models did show up around the end of the war irl and were used not that long after.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 09, 2017, 05:03:54 pm »

Radar will help us be effective through all forms of weather, and with our encrypted radios/general radio abilities, it might even allow night-time level-bombing airstrikes to be made. Radar control ship/station directs aircraft to the target, whether or not they can really see it, and they can then scatter bombs across it. Highly inaccurate, but effective.
Yea! Everything will work perfectly like that (Hint: if we are lucky we will get something that barely works not a win button like you all expect. That if we get lucky roll. Technologies like that are long term investment)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 09, 2017, 05:09:01 pm »

RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (5) GUNINANRUNIN, Piratejoe, evictedSaint, Lightforger, Happerry
Radar time is fun time. And then hopefully we can finally get around to revising a better torpedo this turn.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 09, 2017, 05:09:37 pm »

Helicopters are too complex at this stage.
Yes and no. We can get there with dedicated effort. There are no reason why we can't get those earlier than real life.
How about basing it off of the Freya. A fairly mobile, if not very powerful system for the time, and one that supported an IFF system as well.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2017, 05:11:33 pm »

Hm.. I think I have a better idea for an APC"

IFV-39 'Crocodile'
Following a more modern armour scheme, this 'Infantry Fighting Vehicle' is intended to be the bane of the raider. Mounting heavy armour at the front and turret with medium armour everywhere else with all the armour sloped, the front, sides and turret. Mounting a single AC18 (Revised for a blowback operation for reliability and simplicity at the cost of extra weight.) in the turret, a pair of RPG 'pods' mounted on either side of the turret, each consisting of seven launchers, offers particularly good strike capabilities against enemy armour. Capable of carrying a full squad, the 'crocodile' lacks the raider's amphibious capability but instead packs a niftly little feature: Fire ports for the infantry inside the vehicle, enabling the squad transported by the 'croc' to fire out on the enemy without having to leave the vehicle. The 'Crocodile' is also designed to keep pace with the T33's impressive speed, enabling true mechanised tactics to be used.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 09, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »

It has as much armor as the T33... isn't that excessive for an IFV?

also: fire ports?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 09, 2017, 05:16:32 pm »

I fail to see any meaningful effect from something like Freya, please, show it to me. What is the benefit? We don't have naval guns to direct with radar. We are not suffering from enemy bombing raids. Radar offers a minimal impact.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 09, 2017, 05:20:46 pm »

Happerry, you lost my vote.
RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (6) GUNINANRUNIN, Piratejoe, evictedSaint, Lightforger, Madman981237, Happerry
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 500