Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Words: Repeating Crossbow  (Read 1255 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two Words: Repeating Crossbow
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »

They're definitely old enough, they fill a different niche than any of the current ranged weapons by trading wear and accuracy for speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

I realize this gets close to gunpowder territory thematically, but now that weapon wear-and-tear is in these less-powerful machine gun type crossbows would be really cool. However you feel about it for a domestic dwarven weapon, you can't deny it would be excellent if a fight broke out in a human tavern and the bartender pulled a multi-shot crossbow and told everybody to get the hell out.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Two Words: Repeating Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:12:59 pm »

They're definitely old enough, they fill a different niche than any of the current ranged weapons by trading wear and accuracy for speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

I realize this gets close to gunpowder territory thematically, but now that weapon wear-and-tear is in these less-powerful machine gun type crossbows would be really cool. However you feel about it for a domestic dwarven weapon, you can't deny it would be excellent if a fight broke out in a human tavern and the bartender pulled a multi-shot crossbow and told everybody to get the hell out.
That sounds like it could cause ridiculous amounts of friendly fire.
I love it.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:09:22 am »

Even if it's just to differentiate bows from crossbows, I'd like more control over weapon firing speed.  Then we could mod in whatever variant we wanted.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:15:44 pm »

Even if it's just to differentiate bows from crossbows, I'd like more control over weapon firing speed.  Then we could mod in whatever variant we wanted.

Yeah bows and crossbows are almost useless now due to the long delay between shots. Try using it in adventure mode, for example you'll be hit several dozen times after shooting a bow or xbow at someone.

Back in 40d crossbows were extremely lethal since they fired every turn and movement speed and 'attack speed' were the same. If you had a superdwarvenly agile marksdwarf they'd pincushion anything win seconds before the target could even get close.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:18:56 pm by Rusty Shackleford »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:48:20 am »

Back in 40d crossbows were extremely lethal since they fired every turn and movement speed and 'attack speed' were the same. If you had a superdwarvenly agile marksdwarf they'd pincushion anything win seconds before the target could even get close.

Well they also had weird injury trajectories