Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 360060 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2490 on: April 24, 2020, 09:18:15 pm »

So after reading over some suggestions and looking at the rules I think what we're gonna do is this

1. Leveling up by adding +1, +2, etc is the same as before. Permanent stat enhancements or alterations to the body have a chance of causing mutations. The higher the stat goes or the bigger the change, the more the chance. So we'll be going back through everyone and giving you a roll for all those stat enhancements you have. Because Sy doesn't want sudden mutation, I'll be doling them out a bit at a time. Most people probably don't have a lot.

2. Going with ER's "Permanent vs Persistent" argument we're going to handle permanent spells like this: If the spell summons in something like an iron dagger than its the same as before. Since magic doesn't have to keep being expended to keep it around.  If its something that should drain mana intermittently, like a staff that shoots a fireball, Then we're going with the aforementioned "Mana Pool" system where you basically throw some extra mana into the spell on creation and then can refill that pool whenever you want. The pool will only drain when the spell is used, so think of it kind of like ammo.  If its a persistent spell that should drain constantly, like a big wall of fire or something, then it works the same way with the mana pool, but I just take some mana from it each turn.

This means that something like a summoned monkey (Like Salt) won't take any mana since its just an organic thing. Something that isn't organic, like a golem or living painting will take mana to continue to function though.  Oh and none of them can use magic, as Sy says thats a bad idea and Sy is generally right about that sort of thing.

3. I'm dropping the "Spirit infused" stuff I talked about earlier.

4. I'm Grandfathering in any existing enchanted items so we don't have to mess with them. Its a "From now on" sort of deal.

Overall, generally minor changes.

Now, if you guys could

1. Repost your actions for last turn
2. As part of your post, post your original character sheet and your current one.  So we can compare any Modifications you've made to yourself and see how many rolls we have to do. Dev basically did this already so just copy him if you need to. If you want to "Take Back" any stat or physical enhancements, you can.

Sound good?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: April 24, 2020, 09:52:50 pm »

Go inspect the crystals during the day, then see if I can accompany one of the night watchmen on their rounds for a night, preferably one that includes some crystals on their normal route. Assuming I get a yes, then do so. pay extra attention to sounds, what is normal and what is not. both day and night. See if I can identify what sound is being talked about, and what it is associated with.

Spoiler: Starter Nina (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: April 24, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »

Body being used by spirit
The reason 3 and 4 have question marks is because I don’t know if I have 3 or 4 torches, pick how many I have, you can update inventory if the spirit got rid of some things or added new things
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:35:52 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: April 25, 2020, 06:40:36 am »

Reposting action:
Ask if I would be allowed to do an autopsy on some of the victims, in case that teaches us something more (and maybe find me a relevant word).

Based on what we learned, if it hunts down trespassers, is there a way we could perhaps trick it into thinking we belong there and thus aren't trespassers?

Then start by doing some recon, using the ghost charm to try and make sure we don't blunder onto its turf. Try to find where exactly it normally resides, what its habits are, what it looks like and what it can do, potential weakpoints, that kind of stuff. Use binocs to observe from afar.
If we want to find that original containment device, we'll need to get an idea of where to find it (and when to go look for it, preferably when its gone).

Oh, and consider if I could use my 'rope' word to cast some sort of ethereal rope spell to pull the spirit out of the body it is possessing. If yes, which stat and what difficulty?

((Oh, and could you perhaps post the new rules in the OP, for easy reference?))

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:59:01 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: April 26, 2020, 08:37:53 am »

Spoiler:  The OG dessert (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Current Birb Dessert (click to show/hide)

Follow Darwin, keep an eye out for trouble or suspicious things. Caw.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: April 27, 2020, 06:54:59 am »

Copy of action and current sheet below.

Can painting Saeko speak Japanese?

Can Ekrov speak Japanese?  He's never learned it from Saeko, and hasn't studied it or anything--he didn't even know about the country before meeting her--but he does have d12+5 know.

Is painting Saeko uncomfortable with the fact that she's going to lose her animation in five days, presumably returning to her painting as an inanimate image?

Does painting Saeko have blood?  Test this out of sight of the others and secretly store the blood if she has it, but don't make any big deal out of it.

Go search through the production plants with painting Saeko, try and find machines that are the least damage, and see if anything looks repairable.  I imagine this area has a lot to look at, so just see what can be found.  Hahaha, NO, Golems first!  Go look through the golem hangars with painting Saeko, taking inventory of surviving golems and judging their purpose/designs.  Maybe knock some aristocrat keys off of them, or yell at them while waving the keys around.

Edit: Aaand melt magicoal.  Nevermind, magicoal is more useful as magicoal with the new changes.  Instead, wonder about how long painting Saeko has to live (still six more days, no change?), and how expensive it would be to keep her around per day.  Would normal human food be enough for her to survive?  If she eats mana instead, how much per day?

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Original sheet.  Changes from this are d4->d6 str, d4->d10 end.

Spoiler: scrawny nerd (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: April 27, 2020, 09:11:35 am »

Zavirius now has d10+5 Strength, d8+3 Speed, d8+5 Endurance, and d8+5 Will. How does she look? Are there any interesting effects from all that?

Tons of spells below. Assume that I recast failures.

First, go ahead and eat some magicoal. No levelups this time, instead just stop if eating a piece brings me over 200.

Give Paint Sae 10 mana and ask her to try summoning up a small bird (d8 or less difficulty.)

Scry Paint Sae using Human at as small a difficulty as possible to determine if Human is an effective word to use to scry Paint Sae.
If Human is an effective word to scry Paint Sae, use Human Sunlight (because she glows just like Meat Sae does) to get some common information about how she works and what she is. AKA her bestiary / monster manual / pokedex entry.

Talk to Paint Sae and try to gauge her feelings and desires. What would she want to do, if she lived longer? See more of the world? The other two were discussing putting her inside of a living painting filled with living painted people. Would she be alright with that? Would she rather live in the real world instead? Does it matter at all?
Tell her that if she wants, she can go to Alkahest with me and I'll show her the things there and make sure she's safe.

Permanently grow two more arms. Underneath the ones I already have, and just as strong as my normal ones. Use Human, as well as Slow to have them grow in over some time if that would make it easier.

Conjure with Lightning and Grand Lodestone a nonmagical machine which uses a crank to generate electricity. If it would make the spell easier, try to design the device first, the conjure it. Show it to Ekrov and ask him what he thinks of it.

Go to the Sludge Pits and scry using Toxic Human to answer the following question: "Is this substance toxic or otherwise harmful to humans? If so, in what way?"
If the above reveals the substance to be toxic, scry using Toxic to get a description of the substance.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)

Rather than dig through this whole post looking for a sheet that's right somewhere in the middle, I'll just tell you what I have:
Speed d6 -> d8 (by Saeko, Grow Strengthen Speed iirc)
Endurance d6 -> d8 (by Saeko, Grow Strengthen Permanent)
Permanent immunity to nerve gas, (by me, Toxic)
D6 Force boosted energy attacks on both fists (two seperate spells. Strengthen Force)

Salt is a Baboon with Condor wings and I believe that she's organic enough to survive off of food? Please confirm

d6 enchanted shield from the magebreakers. Projects a barrier. How much mana does its "battery" hold?
Enchanted rifle which produces an explosion inside the chamber. Was supposed to cost 1 mana per shot. Does this still work the same way? How much mana does it hold?
Finally, the cloak which limits channeling through it. Because it only does anything when mana's flowing through it anyways, maybe it draws a little bit from the stream to slow the rest down?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2497 on: April 27, 2020, 12:16:00 pm »

Go inspect the crystals during the day, then see if I can accompany one of the night watchmen on their rounds for a night, preferably one that includes some crystals on their normal route. Assuming I get a yes, then do so. pay extra attention to sounds, what is normal and what is not. both day and night. See if I can identify what sound is being talked about, and what it is associated with.

Spoiler: Starter Nina (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Nina (click to show/hide)

(No changes at all huh? thats easy.)

You inspect the crystals during the day. There is definitely something odd about them. When you touch them it feels like there is a light suction or stickiness to them.  Adam seems to not want to get near them, always staying at least 10 or so feet away.  During the night you hear the sounds as well, though you can't pinpoint their location. Its a musical grinding noise, like a bell being dragged across gravel. When you try to track it to the source, it seems to be coming from the crystals but you're not certain how. They don't seem to be moving or obviously changing when you look at them.

The next day, several of the older people in town report feeling tired and abnormally stiff.

Body being used by spirit
The reason 3 and 4 have question marks is because I don’t know if I have 3 or 4 torches, pick how many I have, you can update inventory if the spirit got rid of some things or added new things
Stats are the same so no worries there.

Spoiler:  The OG dessert (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Current Birb Dessert (click to show/hide)

Follow Darwin, keep an eye out for trouble or suspicious things. Caw.
Reposting action:
Ask if I would be allowed to do an autopsy on some of the victims, in case that teaches us something more (and maybe find me a relevant word).

Based on what we learned, if it hunts down trespassers, is there a way we could perhaps trick it into thinking we belong there and thus aren't trespassers?

Then start by doing some recon, using the ghost charm to try and make sure we don't blunder onto its turf. Try to find where exactly it normally resides, what its habits are, what it looks like and what it can do, potential weakpoints, that kind of stuff. Use binocs to observe from afar.
If we want to find that original containment device, we'll need to get an idea of where to find it (and when to go look for it, preferably when its gone).

Oh, and consider if I could use my 'rope' word to cast some sort of ethereal rope spell to pull the spirit out of the body it is possessing. If yes, which stat and what difficulty?

((Oh, and could you perhaps post the new rules in the OP, for easy reference?))

Looks like RC is the only mutant round here. 1 mutation.  His is that he is now being followed by the sound of bells, as though he's being stalked by a church or something. The longer he stays in one place, the louder and closer they seem to get. If he keeps moving then they're just barely audible.

1. The locals have pretty strong taboos about working with corpses. Apparently there's a specific class of people who do that and its pretty ritualistic.  These murdered people are cremated almost immediately to prevent the creature from following them back, and prevent the people from seeking vengeance on the living.

2. Hard to say, but it seems to be attacking pilgrims not locals, so it can differentiate somehow. And so far there have been no attacks on people leaving the city, only entering. So its a one way door of sorts, but as to how it differentiates locals coming in and pilgrims, that's unknown. And why it only attacks some, that's also unknown.

3. Finding the thing turns out to be extremely easy. You follow the ghost charm and as you get closer you hear screaming. Down the mountain side, along a cliff side path, you can see at least half a dozen people running while what looks like an animate glob of sludge chases after them. Its rolling along the snow covered stone stairs like a droplet of fluid, defying gravity as it climbs at increasing speed.

4. Maybe. Though creating a sort of "spirit rope" that only entangles super natural things with only the "Rope" word is gonna be kinda hard. Something like d10 or so.

Copy of action and current sheet below.

Can painting Saeko speak Japanese?

Can Ekrov speak Japanese?  He's never learned it from Saeko, and hasn't studied it or anything--he didn't even know about the country before meeting her--but he does have d12+5 know.

Is painting Saeko uncomfortable with the fact that she's going to lose her animation in five days, presumably returning to her painting as an inanimate image?

Does painting Saeko have blood?  Test this out of sight of the others and secretly store the blood if she has it, but don't make any big deal out of it.

Go search through the production plants with painting Saeko, try and find machines that are the least damage, and see if anything looks repairable.  I imagine this area has a lot to look at, so just see what can be found.  Hahaha, NO, Golems first!  Go look through the golem hangars with painting Saeko, taking inventory of surviving golems and judging their purpose/designs.  Maybe knock some aristocrat keys off of them, or yell at them while waving the keys around.

Edit: Aaand melt magicoal.  Nevermind, magicoal is more useful as magicoal with the new changes.  Instead, wonder about how long painting Saeko has to live (still six more days, no change?), and how expensive it would be to keep her around per day.  Would normal human food be enough for her to survive?  If she eats mana instead, how much per day?

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Original sheet.  Changes from this are d4->d6 str, d4->d10 end.

Spoiler: scrawny nerd (click to show/hide)

((Lets see...One mutation for you too. Add +1 to Speed, -1 to Strength. You're now quite flexible and springy, kind of like a Champion Yoga contortionist who might also be the illegitimate love child of a snake and and Slinky. In most contexts, this won't really come up or be noticeable. But if you ever want to lick your elbow...))

Can Saeko speak Japanese? Technically Japanese shouldn't exist in this world so she might just be speaking gibberish.   But If Saeko can, then Painting Saeko can too.

Not without a roll, but you would be able to kind of learn it from nowhere by listening to it a while with a good roll.

She says she will miss being able to walk around, but she was always a painting before this, so its not a big loss.

She doesn't. When cut you find there's nothing but parchment under her skin.

Still 6 days (we'll keep that grandfathered in) and as per the amount to keep her around...probably d4 a day so average of about 2 mana. And no, she can't digest it. Her mouth doesn't even have a throat on careful inspection, it just dead ends. You're not sure how she's speaking.

Zavirius now has d10+5 Strength, d8+3 Speed, d8+5 Endurance, and d8+5 Will. How does she look? Are there any interesting effects from all that?

Tons of spells below. Assume that I recast failures.

First, go ahead and eat some magicoal. No levelups this time, instead just stop if eating a piece brings me over 200.

Give Paint Sae 10 mana and ask her to try summoning up a small bird (d8 or less difficulty.)

Scry Paint Sae using Human at as small a difficulty as possible to determine if Human is an effective word to use to scry Paint Sae.
If Human is an effective word to scry Paint Sae, use Human Sunlight (because she glows just like Meat Sae does) to get some common information about how she works and what she is. AKA her bestiary / monster manual / pokedex entry.

Talk to Paint Sae and try to gauge her feelings and desires. What would she want to do, if she lived longer? See more of the world? The other two were discussing putting her inside of a living painting filled with living painted people. Would she be alright with that? Would she rather live in the real world instead? Does it matter at all?
Tell her that if she wants, she can go to Alkahest with me and I'll show her the things there and make sure she's safe.

Permanently grow two more arms. Underneath the ones I already have, and just as strong as my normal ones. Use Human, as well as Slow to have them grow in over some time if that would make it easier.

Conjure with Lightning and Grand Lodestone a nonmagical machine which uses a crank to generate electricity. If it would make the spell easier, try to design the device first, the conjure it. Show it to Ekrov and ask him what he thinks of it.

Go to the Sludge Pits and scry using Toxic Human to answer the following question: "Is this substance toxic or otherwise harmful to humans? If so, in what way?"
If the above reveals the substance to be toxic, scry using Toxic to get a description of the substance.

Rather than dig through this whole post looking for a sheet that's right somewhere in the middle, I'll just tell you what I have:
Speed d6 -> d8 (by Saeko, Grow Strengthen Speed iirc)
Endurance d6 -> d8 (by Saeko, Grow Strengthen Permanent)
Permanent immunity to nerve gas, (by me, Toxic)
D6 Force boosted energy attacks on both fists (two seperate spells. Strengthen Force)

Salt is a Baboon with Condor wings and I believe that she's organic enough to survive off of food? Please confirm

d6 enchanted shield from the magebreakers. Projects a barrier. How much mana does its "battery" hold?
Enchanted rifle which produces an explosion inside the chamber. Was supposed to cost 1 mana per shot. Does this still work the same way? How much mana does it hold?
Finally, the cloak which limits channeling through it. Because it only does anything when mana's flowing through it anyways, maybe it draws a little bit from the stream to slow the rest down?
((one mutation: Vultures, Crows, Condors, and other carrion birds are now constantly following you around, circling overhead. If you ever kill anyone or anything living they'll swoop down and start devouring the corpse immediately.))

1. Think we already covered this in Discord.

2. 41 mana, 1 coal.

3. She cannot use magic.

4. It is, but not as effective as on a pure human. -2 mana. Sunlight doesn't help in that spell. At d4 difficulty you basically just get that she's basically a parchment and paint golem animated by magic.

5. She would like to see more of the world, if possible. She thinks a living painting might be ok, though she worries it might be a bit repetitive.

6. [8+5v4] -4 mana. Ok. They'll be done in a week. Oh and new mutation: Your teeth are sharp, you grow an awful lot of body hair, and on nights with a full moon you have +3 to strength.

7. Crank generator huh? [3+8v18] -18 mana.  No dice.

At this point I'm rolling speed to see if you can even do all this in one day. [7v5]

-7 mana for all this.  This is basically analagous to the Black Flux. Not poisonous, but something like tar and can absorb mana. Apparently its the waste product of the burning of magicoal; a magic hungry sludge.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: April 27, 2020, 12:57:51 pm »

Try to paint something... unknowable. Something that should be impossible to depict. (Attempt a painting with d100 difficulty, preferably rolling Will.)

Eat coal, leveling Speed then Knowledge.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:05:05 am by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: April 27, 2020, 03:49:24 pm »

And mine?

Okay, for mutations and pricing purposes, here's all the levelups and magic gear that my character has, or at least ones I'm keeping:

Some of these are downgrades as I'm not keeping that level or enchantment anymore.

Str  d4 +1
Speed  d8 +1
Endurance  d10+4
Knowledge  d8+2
Will  d10+3
Senses  d8 +2

Enhanced knowledge to d8 from d4. (don't remember.  d12?)
Reduced in weight to 75% normal.  (two d8s.)
Large elf ears.  (Record of lodoss-war level)  (two d8s.)
Resistance to all toxins. (d8)

Here are the actions.

Use a series of Strengthen View spells on the king's key to get visions of what things can be done with it.  This isn't necessarily limited to visions.. try for hearing if it looks like passwords or such are involved too.  Willing to retry failures and spend up to 30 mana on this.  Do try in particular to find out how to unlock the core.

Since a day has been marked off, also go try to learn that Contain word Ekrov identified, and dissassemble one of the control suits, looking for more possible words out of it's mechanisms, and storing the precious metal if not.  The crew are to continue digging for the palace.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2500 on: April 27, 2020, 04:26:29 pm »

Okay, for mutations and pricing purposes, here's all the levelups and magic gear that my character has, or at least ones I'm keeping:

Some of these are downgrades as I'm not keeping that level or enchantment anymore.

Str  d4 +1
Speed  d8 +1
Endurance  d10+4
Knowledge  d8+2
Will  d10+3
Senses  d8 +2

Enhanced knowledge to d8 from d4. (don't remember.  d12?)
Reduced in weight to 75% normal.  (two d8s.)
Large elf ears.  (Record of lodoss-war level)  (two d8s.)
Resistance to all toxins. (d8)

Here are the actions.

Use a series of Strengthen View spells on the king's key to get visions of what things can be done with it.  This isn't necessarily limited to visions.. try for hearing if it looks like passwords or such are involved too.  Willing to retry failures and spend up to 30 mana on this.  Do try in particular to find out how to unlock the core.

Since a day has been marked off, also go try to learn that Contain word Ekrov identified, and dissassemble one of the control suits, looking for more possible words out of it's mechanisms, and storing the precious metal if not.  The crew are to continue digging for the palace.

2 mutations for you. You now have shark like rows of teeth and can only eat raw meat. And you have bugs instead of blood.

-15 mana. Through this scrying you discover that indeed there are passwords involved with using the key. Or phrases at least. Not in a language you speak. You get a few of them but none of them work to move the core.

Successfully learned (d12).  From the suit you get "SLADE [d6]".

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:21 pm »

No action lastturn to repost.
Spoiler: OG Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: April 28, 2020, 02:48:50 am »

Operation cage the beast: Use 'wood' to summon a block of wood for Darwin to use, try and summon it close to the blob. Try to aim for a D6 spell at most.
Let's give it a maximum of 3 tries before giving up.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:04:08 am by Pancaek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: April 28, 2020, 03:01:56 am »

Once the wood is summoned, use the sunbro staff to manipulate it into forming a wooden prison around the blob. Not like a cage since it could probably just move through, but a fully enclosed wood sphere of sorts to trap it. If that works, try to harden/thicken/reinforce the walls to ensure it stays trapped for a while.

Should that work out, then try to move to those ruins and look for that urn. Try to decipher the instructions once we find it.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:37:11 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:27 am »

I am suspicious that this could be some kind of spirit-drain or mana-drain effect. Look into the origin of the crystals and what their current function is. Also, ask Adam why he's avoiding the crystals, and if I should be afraid of them too?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 203