Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop - Alien Swarm+ Coordination Thread  (Read 3134 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop - Alien Swarm+ Coordination Thread
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »

This looks interesting but I've never played Alien Swarm before. What campaign should I start with? Any advice to figure out this game?
Jacob's rest (original campaign), normal difficulty, with ai partners. It's a couple of missions that'll teach you the basics well enough and get some gear unlocked.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:36 am »

Saw this thread and immediately downloaded it, along with a few mates. As they bailed after three tries, I figured I'd do it solo, on hard.

I made it to the final mission on Jacobs Rest. Thank christ for the flamethrower; that thing is the only weapon you ever need. Since I'm player with only myself and no AI, I have to play tech, which means healing and damage are limited. The flamethrower makes up for it, and I can cover myself with a turret pretty well.

I've played it so many times that I have the enemy spawns and the timing of certain attacks down perfectly. I can get all the way to the final area where you need to simultaneously mine the rocks, fight shield bugs, regular spawn, and most importantly, the little bloody mother bee spawner things. I can't kill or distract enough of them to pick up a laser and mine the wall. By the time it charges up, everything I led away is back and chewing my face off. Turrets are useless because of limited firing arks, and it's difficult to make it there without a health pack, so telsa's are very risky.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:47 am »

Since I'm player with only myself and no AI

You don't have to do that to yourself, you know.

If you're playing an online game, there should be two buttons below your character's portrait, one with a + and one with a -. The - removes all your stuff, including your currently equipped character, allowing you to essentially reset your loadout.

The + button adds a new bot. You can select which character they play, what weapons they have, and what items they have. Do note, however, that the player(s) control the item use, so make sure to press the proper keys to make the bots deploy their items.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 08:50:34 am »

You can add bots in for single player too (in a same/similar way) so there's no reason to do a solo run besides the challenge. Actually I'm not certain if you can do a solo run for every mission/campaign, barring glitches and out of bounds, since it seems like you'd be overwhelmed while hacking stuff as a tech. But what do I know?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 10:23:23 am »

Probably better to play with ai squadmates anyway, the game wasn't meant for Rambo'ing, and it'll be good practice for when you do go online (such as watching your firing lanes instead of indiscriminately spraying and coordinating load-out).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 10:49:01 am »

That reminds me, how do I avoid Friendly Fire in a public game?

And does crouching (using the walk key while standing still) help avoid your teammate's fire?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:22 am »

And does crouching (using the walk key while standing still) help avoid your teammate's fire?

If your team is smart, you work in clock sections. If an enemy is not in your clock section, you do not fire. The only exception is if the person who does have an enemy in their section is overwhelmed and you are covering an adjacent section that is empty AND you have a clean shot.

Granted, not many people actually play by the numbers, so, in a public game, the best advice is to be lucky and dodge roll.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »

Draignean's advice is spot on if you have a good team, otherwise for most of the time you can avoid a lot of it by getting three people to cover the front (left, centre and right) and one person to cover the back/do stuff.

This worked when I played it before with people who were a bit prone to running in the way of everything.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 [2]