Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop - Alien Swarm+ Coordination Thread  (Read 3135 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

This sounds like the kind of thing that needs a thread for setting up multiplayer games of it.

I guess I could make it...

For the unfamiliar, Alien Swarm is a free game on Steam, revolving around a squad of four IAF Marines who mainly fight the titular swarm, a group of parastic insect-like(?) organisms that have been making human colonies disappear. While the original Alien Swarm only had the Jacob's Rest campaign, there is now an expansion pack/replacement of sorts.

In addition to all the content from the original Alien Swarm, Reactive Drop includes:
  • Several more campaigns already packaged!
  • New guns!
  • Steam Workshop Support!
  • Up to 8 players at once, making use of the entire character roster!

The best part is that this expansion remains entirely free! If you haven't played this game yet, give it a go! This thread can also be used to help coordinate games with friends if need be.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop - Alien Swarm+ Coordination Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:59 am »

Oh, good to know. Played the hell out of Alien Swarm when it first came out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:00:49 am »

Still a great game, some of the new campaigns are pretty cool. 8 player mode is an absolutely hilarious clusterfuck. Haven't tried the deathmatch yet though.

One thing I do notice is that I keep using the same couple of items and not really touching a lot of the others, but that might be due to mostly playing with AI up till now (and having to tell them manually when to use some of their items, difficult to do for 3 people in tense combat).

In one 8 player match I went for melee medic (healgun + healbeacon + power fist) and I can heartily recommend trying that out, it's pretty fun.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:05:37 am »

I'm gonna PTW this.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:12:04 am »

Was this the one that originally started as an Unreal (of some flavor) mod with the persistent units?

Because my favorite memory of that was finally doing a perfect run of a brutal stage, getting into the end zone, cheering, putting a hand back down... Right onto my mouse... And shotgunning my three teammates in the back of the head, instantly killing them.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:51:43 pm »

I'm gonna PTW this.
This I'm gonna PTW,
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 04:51:52 pm »

Was this the one that originally started as an Unreal (of some flavor) mod with the persistent units?

Because my favorite memory of that was finally doing a perfect run of a brutal stage, getting into the end zone, cheering, putting a hand back down... Right onto my mouse... And shotgunning my three teammates in the back of the head, instantly killing them.

I'm not sure what you mean by persistent units (players, health, ammo, and equipment are all restored between levels), but I believe this series did start its life as an Unreal mod. Not sure how a shotgun can wipe three of your own colleagues out with one blast, but I'm sure that's what you mean.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by persistent units (players, health, ammo, and equipment are all restored between levels), but I believe this series did start its life as an Unreal mod. Not sure how a shotgun can wipe three of your own colleagues out with one blast, but I'm sure that's what you mean.

Yep, it is; UT2k4 mod. Wasn't able to get webpages loading on my phone at the time.

You had skill points, medals, and stats that your individual marines had, and if they died in a campaign, they stayed dead. I suppose they may have changed that later on, but it basically meant that losing anybody in a mission meant an abort and retry.

I wasn't really sure how I did that either, but my teammates were impressed in the worst way too. XD
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 05:31:23 pm »

So the player kind of was like a commander? Huh.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 05:34:20 pm »

ptw, alien swarm is really fun and I'll probably reinstall this to play later.  If someone wants to hit me up lemme know.
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:10 pm »

Oh yeah. Definitely play with folks from around here who played AS. Right now RD is flooded with totally new players on the free game train who are missing every goddamn sandwich they'd need for the picnic basket.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:41 pm »

I'm sure if you yell at them enough they'll learn. Eventually.

I mean, they've got to, the penalties for dying are pretty big.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »

Fantastic game - would definitely be up for playing but unfortunately I'm lacking a mic at the moment. I'll happily play along as a mute though.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 02:11:34 pm »

Yep, it is; UT2k4 mod.

Source, not Unreal Engine.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »

This looks interesting but I've never played Alien Swarm before. What campaign should I start with? Any advice to figure out this game?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:11:07 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2