Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC  (Read 14999 times)

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »

Undo shapeshift on Lilith and quickly search for wire to wrap around the hanging human type puppet in the room, then hurry through the mirror.

If sucessful with the wraping wire around the hanging puppet, ask Chance if he has smaller second puppet.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2017, 04:30:56 am »

Hermia nods. She flaps over to Aryn, near his shoulder. "Magic? Are we going to fight them?" She eyes the bucket of dirt. "Magic from dirt? That's kind of unsavory." She comments.

She tries to catch a glimpse of the future off any reflective surface. Any portal that is.

"Better than redesigning your equipment," he mentions. "There is no-one to pay for that."

Out of the chest he lifts a gun with a coiled barrel and a pulley system at the stock. The pulley is attached to a weight with a stake at the bottom, which Aryn releases and throws into the bucket.
"Nothing is perfect." said Aryn, taking a position behind the couch, guarding toward the doorway.

You look for reflective surfaces. The windows in the living room (overlooking the front of the house) look like they'd suffice... but you see nothing in them but images of the magic lamps.
Outside, you see shadows moving against the light cast by the fallen star. It's a gathering of distorted hooded figures. One of them grows to obscure the shadow temporarily, lifting the young child out of the star.
You realize they are the same height.

In the glowing ashes carried by the wind, you spot a ring of motes, surrounding two small motes. Half the circle closes in toward the center... the other collapses into a rectangle and moves in from the side.

Spoiler: WunderKatze (click to show/hide)

"Don't rightly think we are, though, even though I can't speak for the other one here. Best not chat about us to other folk, though. I get the feeling that's something of a, how would you put it, something of a no-no. Consider us to be familiars, see? We do things. Small things. Surely nothing to be chatting to important folk about, eh?"

Make a case for my own broad insignificance.

"If you say so. But if the Hegemon asks, I cannot refuse..." said Bryn.
"Well," Seren contemplated, "Don't you get lonely in this world? It's pretty..."

"...but there isn't much to do for a whole life. You should come with us! It'll be fun!" she offers.

"I saw a vendor selling dolls about her size," Bryn whispers. "Those?" Seren asks. "I remember playing with those! But weren't they a lot bigger then?"

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

Undo shapeshift on Lilith and quickly search for wire to wrap around the hanging human type puppet in the room, then hurry through the mirror.

If sucessful with the wraping wire around the hanging puppet, ask Chance if he has smaller second puppet.

There is no puppet in the human world (on your side). The puppet in the Mirror resembles the old man, and is currently sitting on the bed like the old man used to be. It's also wrapped in wire already--but you can certainly clip off a few lines for yourself while Chance isn't looking. It seemed like Chance needed direct contact with the wires in order to control it.

Before you head back through the mirror, you notice something under the bed--some kind of helical barrel with a wooden stock, tied to a weight by golden rope.
There is a spool of golden wire hidden away along with the unusual device. You take some for yourself.

Before you interrupt Chance, you notice for yourself that the trapdoor in the ceiling leads to some kind of attic, through which the puppets are deployed. Sitting up there, in the attic, is a puppet shaped like a woman with violet and silver ribbons in her pale blonde hair,

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

:(

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2017, 03:19:01 pm »

Instinctively rush towards the blond puppet and weave golden wire gently into puppet to animate it.

Head back through the mirror before Lilith turns to dust with the puppet if sucessful.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2017, 04:39:13 pm »

Try to puzzle out this mirror business while I leave that lot to their conversation.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2017, 08:26:53 pm »

Attempt to start animating the surrounding objects.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »

"What are those?" Hermia quivers. Truly Eerie.

She then notices the motes. Strange. She blinks a couple times. She's not immediately sure to make of it. Maybe we're being flanked?

"I can make shadow hands. I just need a good shadow. Keep that in mind" She tips.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:14 am »

"What are those?" Hermia quivers. Truly Eerie.

She then notices the motes. Strange. She blinks a couple times. She's not immediately sure to make of it. Maybe we're being flanked?

"I can make shadow hands. I just need a good shadow. Keep that in mind" She tips.

"Shadow hands? Do explain--" a figure crashes into the living room through the front wall, throwing some kind of object which lands right behind your couch.
Aryn fires a shot from his carbine--(Accuracy [1][1]) but your tip had him distracted! A yellow blaze shines for a split second as a tree of the forest is annihilated. [4-1][3-1][2-1] The figure sails through the air in an arc, and lands at the base of the couch completely unharmed by Aryn's fire.

But there are a few drops of blood on the floor mixed in with splinters of the windowframe mixed in. One wonders where they are from.

Aryn leaps backwards and puts his hand to his waist.

Try to puzzle out this mirror business while I leave that lot to their conversation.

It seems humans are unaware of the significance of mirrors.

Wait no,

It's just been a while.

Human knowledge with regards to mirrors stems from a fuzzy memories in the age of myth. You perceive a faded picture of a mirror in a glassmaker's den, freshly planed and left to the side by the craftsman to go pursue other tasks.
His wife came to meet him at the shop, and his youngest daughter, having just learned to walk, ran into the mirror. She passed right through, and the mom followed her through.

By the time you are done reclaiming this info, the sisters have made their decision.
"You're coming with us!" Seren declares, trying to catch you with a swipe of her hand.
"There is no other way to explain it. Seren entered the mirror, a different Seren came out..." Bryn shrugs her shoulders. "Perhaps you have nothing to do with this. That's fine, but surely you could act as if you did? I will guarantee your protection..."

Instinctively rush towards the blond puppet and weave golden wire gently into puppet to animate it.

Head back through the mirror before Lilith turns to dust with the puppet if sucessful.

Having crossed the mirror, you head up into Chance's attic and create yourself a connection to the hidden puppet; it stirs gently like a human waking up, but after the initial set-up it merely holds still as if awaiting orders.

After you finally get down, you kneel on the edge of trapdoor and watch Chance introduce a new fairy into his room.

The fairy immediately opens a closet and some contraptions fall out. They look like carts with spiked wheels, except with some kind of weapon mounted to the top. It's a weapon similar to the kind you saw under the bed, but cruder-looking. You can feel the hate radiating off the end of the barrel--it's as if this machine has already taken many lives.

The new fairy wraps a wire around the barrel and fires the weapon somehow--it leaves a crater in the wall shared by the desk with the mirror. Light pours in from outside.

You hear footsteps from through the desk mirror. The old man must be awake now.

Attempt to start animating the surrounding objects.

"I should probably explain this all to you first--"

You get to work right away, digging up things into the room to animate. You wrap your hands around a closet door and tug, using your feet to push against the doorframe.
The door swings open and a wooden cart falls out and rolls into the room. It has spiked wheels and makes a huge crash as it makes several marks in the floor--Chance rips out his hair in frustration, which falls to the floor as tightly-wound puppet wire.

The cart has some sort of tube mounted on top, with a helical ring around the barrel. You try animating it, and find that it responds to you right away. Too well, in fact. It's as if it has a mind of its own already, and it's fighting your grip on it--

The helical tube glows brightly and causes the wall in front of the barrel to explode. Crazy stuff!

Chance looks impressed, despite his "Oooh! I didn't know you could control one of those. Color me impressed..."
(+1 max independent puppets (you can give two puppets different orders now))
"But I think we have a problem."

You hear footsteps coming from somewhere... it seems to be the mirror on the desk?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:23 am »

"Hold on a moment there, girlie! I was thinking!" Yuktuk snaps back indignantly.

"Tell me," she turns to Bryn, "you call the Seren you found 'a different Seren'. Would you happen to have contact with... the original, as you seem to maintain?"

Question!

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2017, 09:21:44 am »

"What's the matter?"

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2017, 06:53:24 pm »

While finally taking note of the situation, Lilith turns her head down towards Chance as she flies down from the attic and asks a questions "Who might this be?"

She studies the new fairy carefully and then stole a quick glance threw the mirror before continuing to talk "I managed to put the old man to sleep but it appears to be in vain, as he looks rather recovered if I might add. That noise produced from that newcomer likely woken."

She then cast her eyes downward to ground as she muttered one final thing "One thing I did find was strange doll or puppet which looked different from the rest, it gave off the appearance of delicacy as much care must of poured into it. I did manage to animate it slightly do you happen to know anything about it and the connection the old man Chance?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2017, 11:00:20 pm »

"Aryn!" Hermia screams.

If there is a good shadow nearby, Hermia calls forth a swarm of shadow hands to ensnare the intruder. She also sends one small fairy sized arm towards herself. She grasps it loosely with both hands and attempts to channel Blindness through it to the target.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2017, 03:12:54 am »

"Aryn!" Hermia screams.

If there is a good shadow nearby, Hermia calls forth a swarm of shadow hands to ensnare the intruder. She also sends one small fairy sized arm towards herself. She grasps it loosely with both hands and attempts to channel Blindness through it to the target.

Aryn draws his sword and the two warriors catch themselves in a stand-off. Aryn feints left and right, but the short, hooded figure reacts swiftly to his movements. Aryn himself lets out a frustrated sigh.

But then They came from under the couch.
You connect with one of them, while the remainder of them writhed across the floor like snakes.

The cloaked figure, not paying attention, gets caught off-guard.

Aryn grins.
He plunges his sword into his victim's chest, his weapon and gauntlet one contiguous unit of steel.

The attacker swings feebly at the cold steel intruding on his chest, but without strength, Aryn kicks him over to the ground.

From the side of the living room, two more figures barge in, kicking the door several times to bring it down.
The first, an archer, tilts her hood back and looses an arrow.

Crack! It rips into the plaster wall, tearing a stud in half.

The other figure moves to the side and brings down his hammer--Aryn hovers behind the enemy's ensnared comrade.
The attacker completes his move--cracking his ally's skull. Requiescat in pace.

Spoiler: List of Baddies (click to show/hide)

"Hold on a moment there, girlie! I was thinking!" Yuktuk snaps back indignantly.

"Tell me," she turns to Bryn, "you call the Seren you found 'a different Seren'. Would you happen to have contact with... the original, as you seem to maintain?"

Question!

She puts on a frown. "That's not what I meant!"

"I have no doubt that this woman is my two-year-old sister Seren," said Bryn, staring up at her sister. "After finding a portal between worlds, I am inclined to believe stranger things have happened."
Seren pats her older sister on the shoulder.
"Call it a girl's intuition!"

"Your highness," Butler-man tries to interrupt, "My dearest apologies for intruding on your conversation, but do you want me to order a carriage? Perhaps the fairy would appreciate some privacy rather than walking in public. Er, flying."

While finally taking note of the situation, Lilith turns her head down towards Chance as she flies down from the attic and asks a questions "Who might this be?"

She studies the new fairy carefully and then stole a quick glance threw the mirror before continuing to talk "I managed to put the old man to sleep but it appears to be in vain, as he looks rather recovered if I might add. That noise produced from that newcomer likely woken."

She then cast her eyes downward to ground as she muttered one final thing "One thing I did find was strange doll or puppet which looked different from the rest, it gave off the appearance of delicacy as much care must of poured into it. I did manage to animate it slightly do you happen to know anything about it and the connection the old man Chance?"

Chance rips out a lock of his hair and swoops down to the floor. You can't help but follow him so you can hear him answer--he isn't about to shout at the moment.
"That's for the daughter, Princess Heledd. She hasn't entered the room lately, so I haven't gotten much use out of it.
One tricky thing, the old man always wears that robe of his. But the girl actually wears different clothes every once in a blue moon,

Makes it kind of hard to be prepared, you know? It'd be nice if I had someone who could scout the world for a change... but you'd have to reveal yourself to a human for that. And that's a no-no to regulations-abiding persons such as myself."

The sound of a door opening--and being thrown shut--fills him with some relief.

"Now hold on a moment," he stops both of you. "We got some time to think this situation through before he gets back. Let's not be wasting time, alright?"

"Miss Lilth, you happen to look a lot like the princess herself. I almost wonder if the two of you are related. Maybe you should have a look around and find her,"
He looks back at the slimy salamander sharing the floor with the lot of you.
"Or maybe find a way to deal with him first."

You hear him blurt something out while talking to the other fairy:
"I get it! The book must have migrated in here somehow! Now I wonder who could have brought it past the mirror here."

"What's the matter?"

"Now hold on a moment," he stops both of you. "We got some time to think this situation through before he gets back. Let's not be wasting time, alright?"

He speaks to the other fairy, and then to you.
"Now to deal with you..." he eyes the book you have with you. "That looks a bit... familiar. Don't tell me you're one of those Earthseeker pals too..."

His eyes snap open.

"I get it! The book must have migrated in here somehow! Now I wonder who could have brought it past the mirror here."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2017, 05:29:01 am »

"Hold that thought," Yuktuk gestures to the butlerman.

"What I was asking was whether this is one of them long lost sibling dealies or if there's something else at play, you get me? That is, whether your sister accidentally walked into a mirror, got stolen by fairies or something else entirely is at play here. All I've got to go on here is your low vaguery so far, so if we're to get to the bottom of this you better be spilling the goods quick-like. We're not going anywhere 'til we have a reasonable idea of what we'd even tell someone if they were to ask, and if it's something we even want to be telling whoever this Hedgemo person is."

Get the grim and sordid details about this apparent family reunion.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2017, 06:35:03 pm »

"Ayrn! Don't be the first thing he sees!" Hermia squeaks.

Hermia releases the first attacker and sends the hands after the hammer guy, if the area of the shadow is a constraint, she reduces the number of shadow limbs to one, she attempts to grab onto him, channeling blindness briefly to make him lose track of Ayrn, then end blindness and channel Illusion, replacing his archer ally with Ayrn in his mind.

If this works he'll hammer his ally.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2017, 12:33:33 am »

"Ayrn! Don't be the first thing he sees!" Hermia squeaks.

Hermia releases the first attacker and sends the hands after the hammer guy, if the area of the shadow is a constraint, she reduces the number of shadow limbs to one, she attempts to grab onto him, channeling blindness briefly to make him lose track of Ayrn, then end blindness and channel Illusion, replacing his archer ally with Ayrn in his mind.

If this works he'll hammer his ally.

Aryn was already on his way to the other side of the hammerer, placing himself between his attackers. Friendly fire is a powerful tool to have.

The hammerer hears you talk, and momentarily glances to the side to see you. But all he sees is a single large claw coming at him from across the floor. It runs up his feet and spirals over his body as he tries to shake it off to no avail, and soon his eyes are engulfed by darkness.
As you relent, Aryn lifts his brow, stepping behind the blinded man.

As you relent, the hammerer sets his sights on his new enemy: the archer. He charges.

She gives a yelp at the sight of his fury. A vicious animal, cornered by magic.
He keeps going and chases after he, evidently still fooled. Perhaps he believes she is around the corner. Maybe the adrenaline took over.
He hits her in the back of the neck and breaks her spike.

More combatants climb in through the shattered front window, wielding sword and spear. A third has a staff, a bobbling cluster of gears on a glass rod with a silver core. The bottom of the staff has a spike on it.
He does not cast any magic, but the attackers' sword and spear are sizzling with heat.

Spoiler: List of Baddies (click to show/hide)

"Hold that thought," Yuktuk gestures to the butlerman.

"What I was asking was whether this is one of them long lost sibling dealies or if there's something else at play, you get me? That is, whether your sister accidentally walked into a mirror, got stolen by fairies or something else entirely is at play here. All I've got to go on here is your low vaguery so far, so if we're to get to the bottom of this you better be spilling the goods quick-like. We're not going anywhere 'til we have a reasonable idea of what we'd even tell someone if they were to ask, and if it's something we even want to be telling whoever this Hedgemo person is."

Get the grim and sordid details about this apparent family reunion.

"Huh? Seren was with us minutes ago..." said Bryn.
"A kidnapping seems unlikely."

"Oh no no no, that didn't happen miss fairy!" Seren assures you. "I promise! I just walked in here!"
"Just?"

It seems you've succeeded in sowing the seeds of doubt once again.

"So far as I see it, Seren has been put under some kind of spell without her knowing. She was never an adult.

But... she answers in the same way. I am certain of it..."
her voice trails off. "A spell should be reversible, correct? Doesn't magic work that way?"

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8