Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC  (Read 15031 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 09:44:38 pm »

Hermia nods. "I want to see this grounded star." She barely manages out of her thoughtful trance.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »

Bors attempts to start the portal, while motioning to the elemental to "lighten the Bed's load".

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2017, 01:58:37 am »

"I didn't say make meat dumplings, my good man, I said that you should get some! Procurement does seem to be your occupation, wouldn't you say?"

Convince this salesman guy that he should get us some meat dumplings on the double.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2017, 03:51:45 am »

Hermia nods. "I want to see this grounded star." She barely manages out of her thoughtful trance.

Aryn takes a bite out of the fish.
"It jaunts the threshold between raw and extra-rare,"

"I am a dangerous man."

Continuing down the stream, the two of you find sure signs of skyborne intrusion. Warped branches. The smell of embers. A thin coat of meteoric ash. Purple flame casting a beacon toward the heavens.
Beside the crash zone, there is a house. A humble mansion, to be exact, built in the woods like a forest refuge. A wooden deck in the front greets you with inviting chairs and a corvid wind chime that bobs annoyingly after its stand was bent. Windows with rolled-up curtains forewarn the dangers of unwarranted entry, while the disrepaired walls seek to annul that treaty.

Aryn heads for the stairs, completely ignoring the crash site.

Spoiler: WunderKatze (click to show/hide)

"What's a courtesan...?"

Then the woman fell against the wall. She seemed upset.

"Oh, don't be sad. You get to be a queen! That's amazing! I wish I could be a queen..."

"I will never be queen." She blinks. "...I can already tell," she finishes, burying her head in her arms.

Seren walked off, but she comes back with some kind of sword with an oversized sheath (from the alcove you were born in), and shows it to Bryn. "Big sis, maybe this will help!"

The sight of an elegant weapon lifts her spirits. "Where did you...?" She undoes the clasp, and draws it halfway, slowly, staring down the edge.

The sword glows and releases a bolt of light, which scorches the grass at the mouth of the tunnel entrance.
Caterpillars started pouring into the burnt-out crater, consuming the dead grass and disguising the gap with their green bodies.

"This is a Singing Blade,"
Bryn put on a smirk.
"Well, I think this " she throws the sword at Seren, who stumbles from the catch. "Let us see you weave a song of destruction. If you truly are my younger sister, you'd have the blood of a mage!"
Seren jumps with a smile. She takes the sword, draws it an inch from its sheath, and aims the flat of the blade at the rock wall.

The blast creates a puddle of magma slowly pouring down to the base of the wall.

"Again!" she tries again and, fortunately, nothing happens. "Aww, it doesn't want to." The sword glows red, and the finish seems to have ablated off.

"I'm so sorry I broke it, big sis..."

Spoiler: Sentient Bowtie (click to show/hide)

"I didn't say make meat dumplings, my good man, I said that you should get some! Procurement does seem to be your occupation, wouldn't you say?"

Convince this salesman guy that he should get us some meat dumplings on the double.

You notice Seren heading toward an alcove in the rock out in the field.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

But in the meantime, this salesman guy has a job to do.
"Fine, fine..." he can't help but look embarrassed. "I shall see to it..." He takes a single step back into the tunnel. "Bryn, please don't kill her..."
He scuffles out.

Back to Seren.
She sifts through a pile of items sitting in the alcove--trinkets like a little box, a chipped statue, a crown fit for a princess, and a cool sword!
She grabs the sword and its sheath. The sword is in the sheath, but the sheath itself has a row of cylinders strung to a metallic cord along it's length. The same cord attaches to a pulley and then to a ring on the hilt, where it is brazed on.

"Big sis, maybe this will help!" ((See Sentient Bowtie's last two turns for context))
She takes it to Bryn, who meticulously glazes over it like some kind of sword fangirl. She then draws it halfway and uses it like a staff, blasting a hole in the grass. "This is a Singing Blade," she declares. All enmity between the two sisters seems to be gone.

Or has it? She tosses the sword to her 'sister'. "Let us see you weave a song of destruction. If you truly are my younger sister, you'd have the blood of a mage!"

Seren gladly obliges, and aims the flat of the sword at the nearby rock wall to test it. She pulls it an inch out of the sheath, and proceeds to fire a huge beam into the wall, creating a big molten blob of magma.

"Again!" she shouts, trying again. Nothing happens. "Aww, it doesn't want to." She seems confused as to the nature of the item.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Awestruck, Bryn can only but gaze in silence.
"I'm so sorry I broke it, big sis..."

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

"So it's joy huh, well it doesn't seem malicious now, but I better keep watch since whoever injured the man could still be around." Lilith nods as she continues to push the giant salamander what was once the injured man.

She pondered where to go next while pushing "I'll guess I will roll this lizard to Chance house to get him to take a look."

Roll and push the salamander to Chance house, then fly in though the window to inform Chance of what happen.

You knock on the window to get Chance's attention. He creaks it open.

"The old man's crying right now, it's safe to t--"
He sees the salamander.

"Sweet fumblin' fire dragons..."

After getting the salamander inside, and pushing him up against the wall (to be invisible to the mirror), Chance has a chance to talk.
"You found him out there? That's bad."
He strikes a thinking pose.
"There are no mirrors in the village, and if he was a human like you said, he wouldn't have gotten far inside the fairy world..."

"That means a mirror must have popped up somewhere. I wonder how. Got any ideas?" he looks at his watch. It's a sundial. "Maybe I should get in contact with the others sometime."

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

Bors attempts to start the portal, while motioning to the elemental to "lighten the Bed's load".

(You can't just make a mirror out of nothing, you'll have to put your mind to it. And your powers.)

You leave the house and find a pool of slime as you hover outside the window; there's a bunch of clothes next to it, and a trail leading into the pool across the road. Your curiosity takes you on a journey to follow the slime, meanwhile your wings unspool a great amount of wire as you stay connected to your glass construct.

Exploring a village of white plaster houses, brightly colored roofs, an endless concrete turf, and a central building surrounded by a plaster wall, you track the slime to a cabin that's much more detailed than all the rest of the houses. The slime leads into the door.

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2017, 04:15:24 am »

"She seems proficient enough, wouldn't you say?" Yuktuk says to Bryn, then floats over to Seren.

"The sword's a distraction, dear Seren. The power, which you have spent, is in the sheath. Try to fool around with that somehow, see if something comes to mind?"

Advise Seren discreetly on how to operate the Singing Blade to the best of my knowledge.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 10:49:55 am »

Lilith after glancing over at the injured salamander then turned to Chance and spoke "Is he going to be okay, since when I found him he was barely breathing, that's why I shifted him into that slimy lizard as they are good at regenerating lost parts over time and was easier to push here."

She then pondered on thought about how the human managed to get there then nodded her head in knowing. "When I went to explore the village, I ended up finding him lying outside a green house with gates on it, strange thing was their was shrill nice of laughter coming from there, you said their was no other mirrors in village but it would make sense if one happened to be in green house."

She then took a slight breath before continuing "What i'm trying to say is that a fairy from the green house must of tricked the human over here for it's own amusements."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »

"Dangerous?" Hermia asks, completely entranced by the fish. She is hungry, her eyes beg for a partition.

Cool the star without catching on purple fire. It sure is curious.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 02:51:30 am »

"Dangerous?" Hermia asks, completely entranced by the fish. She is hungry, her eyes beg for a partition.

Cool the star without catching on purple fire. It sure is curious.

You reach out to cool the blaze, and move forward, feeling the warmth of purple flame--but this seems no ordinary fire. Its warmth comes solely from the light emitted. No wonder it isn't spreading. You lay your hands on the glassy core and find that the surface is hardly above body temperature. Cooling it does not abate the blaze.

Purple embers rise into the air, forming a cloud of motes. You stare into the cloud, and find in it a familiar face, which arranges itself into forms resembling skulls.

A branch falls nearby, weakened by the shock of the crash. The skulls vanish, and you notice the jumbo pumpkin-sized core fracturing into many components. The components do not flake off, but rather unfold like petals, and inside you discover a human-looking child, curled up, clutching a shivering fairy in his arms.
The fairy hardly notices you. His bright blue hair is frayed at the ends, dissolving into black ash, while the skin not covered by his frosted white vest is cracked and silvered at places.

Aryn, however, is at the door of the house. He looks at you and motions for you to come in.

The other fairy, the one in blue, takes it upon herself to explain how the fancy sword works. And apparently you just stick it into the ground to recharge it. A funny thing, technology.

Bryn casts the verdict: "There is no other chance," she declares. "I now know why mother was to raise you as a wizard. Seren," she holds out her arm. "Come home."

"She seems proficient enough, wouldn't you say?" Yuktuk says to Bryn, then floats over to Seren.

"The sword's a distraction, dear Seren. The power, which you have spent, is in the sheath. Try to fool around with that somehow, see if something comes to mind?"

Advise Seren discreetly on how to operate the Singing Blade to the best of my knowledge.

You explain to her that the blade must be recharged to use it again. Where does the magic come from? Out of the ground, of course. Fragments of human memories unanimously refer to it as the earthwave, an energy permeating throughout the rocks and dirt. To fire again, she needs to charge it somehow.

Unfortunately the trappings of human magical instruments are lost upon yourself. They look like they're made of a metal that conducts the energy, but surely there must be some more sophisticated route to charging the thing, besides sticking it in the ground--

"I'm gonna stick it in the ground,"

The sheath gives out a long chirp--you can tell they are now refreshed after a few seconds of channeling the earthwave.

Bryn reaches out her arm. "Seren," she says. "Come home."

Lilith after glancing over at the injured salamander then turned to Chance and spoke "Is he going to be okay, since when I found him he was barely breathing, that's why I shifted him into that slimy lizard as they are good at regenerating lost parts over time and was easier to push here."

She then pondered on thought about how the human managed to get there then nodded her head in knowing. "When I went to explore the village, I ended up finding him lying outside a green house with gates on it, strange thing was their was shrill nice of laughter coming from there, you said their was no other mirrors in village but it would make sense if one happened to be in green house."

She then took a slight breath before continuing "What i'm trying to say is that a fairy from the green house must of tricked the human over here for it's own amusements."

"Can't say,"
He shuffles his feet.
"He doesn't look injured, if I remember the species correctly...
...though maybe he's supposed to have wings...

Anyways, I doubt the others are THAT bored. You never know what happens to humans when they enter the fairy world. Like them turning into salamanders. You really never know.
If you want to return him, the mirror in this room ain't gonna cut it. We need to get him back over to that mirror you're talking about.

Although, I can't exactly leave here unless the old man goes to sleep, I'm afraid he's been having trouble all night."

New Objective: Find a way to heal the man

You hear a discussion through the halfway-creaked-open window of the cabin. It sounds like a gruff, though miniaturized oration interspersed with comments from a more sophisticated tongue.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:53:25 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 03:18:13 am »

"Brilliant! Now don't forget to take the sheath with you, my dear."

Herd Seren on her way, make sure she doesn't lose her things!

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2017, 08:00:51 am »

"Hello? Can you help me learn?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 12:50:17 pm »

Hermia bounds and with soundless flight catches up to Aryn,

She incidentally lands next to the corvid chime, her kin.

"There's someone in the star. A child. And a fairy..." She trails off, somehow she gets the impression that he already knows.

"What will we do with them?" Hermia looks back at the comet. Are they dead?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:15:03 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2017, 01:01:33 pm »

Lilith puffs her cheeks as she left wondering on how to save the injured man, she then flickers a gaze through the mirror at the crying old man and starts formulating a idea.

She then turns towards Chance and mentions "Chance i'v got a idea but it might be risky, I going to try go through the mirror and put the old man to sleep."

She then hears noises from outside the window but continues to focus on her current plan "One other thing, I think I hear noises from outside do you mind handling it."

She then steps forward towards the mirror bracing herself for the moment. Shapeshift into a small black spider, then step on through the mirror when old man not looking.

Once through the mirror scuttle into a corner close to the old man position and then using a mixture of her mindreading and trance powers to supress all his worries and amplify his tiredness.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:04:42 pm by flazeo25 »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2017, 03:07:44 pm »

Hermia bounds and with soundless flight catches up to Aryn,

She incidentally lands next to the corvid chime, her kin.

"There's someone in the star. A child. And a fairy..." She trails off, somehow she gets the impression that he already knows.

"What will we do with them?" Hermia looks back at the comet. Are they dead?

"As there always is," he remarks mildly. "Thank you for confirming."

He shuts the door, and flips a lever on the wall. The ceiling buzzes with excitement for a few seconds, and soon a filament of white light, trapped in a glass tube, comes to a lively glow on every corner of the home.

It's actually a nice-looking place. Nothing too regal or spectacular, but you could tell a rich family used to live here.
Aryn keeps his sword, walking pasta sort of armory located in the entry hall, then heads down to the living room, where he sits down on the couch and folds his arms.

"They're going to be here soon. All we have to do is wait."

The fireplace is a cast-iron box with a brass tube out the top, into the ceiling. The couches are wool, arranged in a trapezoid around a wooden playing table. Quite modest for a family of stature, really.
One thing that stands out, however, are the bones next to the fireplace. It's as if they are used to stir the firewood.

Aryn approaches a chest next to the wall and raises a large keg with a bucket of dirt set on top of it.
"They can't draw magic up through the concrete. It's our chief advantage."

The two sisters return back into the tunnel. You notice that there is a mirror at the end of the tunnel. How... random. Through the mirror, you see a rack of old robes. It's the inside of a closet.

The two sisters walk right through the mirror. Perhaps you can do the same?

They meet the salesman, who outstretches his right hand. "So you've resolved your differences, yes? I've relayed the little, er, sister's request to the palace, and the chefs are cooking as you stand here."
He bows. "Your highness, I would suggest that you and your sister head to the palace now."

"I will have a new set of recommendations for Seren, when you return."

The Potential-Queen looks back toward you. "Curious things... are you the ones responsible for the world beyond the mirror?" she asks. "I would like to introduce you to the Hegemon."

"Brilliant! Now don't forget to take the sheath with you, my dear."

Herd Seren on her way, make sure she doesn't lose her things!

Seren looks down and notices the sheath dragging across the ground by the cable.
"Oh, good thing you mentioned!"

The two sisters return to the rock tunnel, leaving this idyllic mountain paradise behind for the mundane world on the other side of the mirror.

Emerging from the closet full of old robes, they meet the salesman, who outstretches his right hand. "So you've resolved your differences, yes? I've relayed the little, er, sister's request to the palace, and the chefs are cooking as you stand here."
He bows. "Your highness, I would suggest that you and your sister head to the palace now." He returns to standing. "I will have a new set of recommendations for Seren, when you return."

Bryn looks back toward the other fairy and yourself. "Curious things... are you the ones responsible for the world beyond the mirror?" she asks. "I would like to introduce you to the Hegemon."

Lilith puffs her cheeks as she left wondering on how to save the injured man, she then flickers a gaze through the mirror at the crying old man and starts formulating a idea.

She then turns towards Chance and mentions "Chance i'v got a idea but it might be risky, I going to try go through the mirror and put the old man to sleep."

She then hears noises from outside the window but continues to focus on her current plan "One other thing, I think I hear noises from outside do you mind handling it."

She then steps forward towards the mirror bracing herself for the moment. Shapeshift into a small black spider, then step on through the mirror when old man not looking.

Once through the mirror scuttle into a corner close to the old man position and then using a mixture of her mindreading and trance powers to supress all his worries and amplify his tiredness.

Chance nods, "You didn't die instantly last time. I think you'll be fine for a few seconds."

You shapeshift through the mirror. Just before losing your hearing (spiders can't hear), you hear Chance open up a conversation with someone outside. It sounds like a fairly dysfunctional conversation.

This time, with full foreknowledge that something bad might happen, you expect to feel different. Like how noticing a wound makes it hurt more.
Huh, you don't recall any memories like that, but it feels so instinctive.

You approach the man, crawling across the ground. You're a pretty big spider, though, it's surprising that he didn't notice you.
After creeping across the floor, careful not to make a sound, you make your way up the bed and approach the old man from behind. From here on, the bedsheets muffle the pitter-patter of your spider feet. You make contact.

TWO emotions at once! That's insane! Your grasp on his emotions is fuzzy, so when you attempt to amplify his tiredness (it looks like it's nighttime outside in the real world...) it also undoes your suppression of his worries.
The old man just ends up crying himself to sleep. But he's asleep now.

As you walk back, you notice a trail of glittering dust left behind you.

"Hello? Can you help me learn?"

"Ahoy, is it you guys?"
A small fairy in overalls lifts the tinted window up a notch and peeks through.

"Phoey, I have no idea who you are..."
He scratches his face. "I guess I have things to teach... you sure look like you could get the hang of it."

The fairy tugs on a puppet string resting on the windowsill. A hand comes to pick him up. "Come on in! I'm Chance, by the way."

New Objective: Impress the fairy with your animation skills.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:09:38 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2017, 10:34:33 pm »

Hermia nods. She flaps over to Aryn, near his shoulder. "Magic? Are we going to fight them?" She eyes the bucket of dirt. "Magic from dirt? That's kind of unsavory." She comments.

She tries to catch a glimpse of the future off any reflective surface. Any portal that is.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2017, 03:24:48 am »

"Don't rightly think we are, though, even though I can't speak for the other one here. Best not chat about us to other folk, though. I get the feeling that's something of a, how would you put it, something of a no-no. Consider us to be familiars, see? We do things. Small things. Surely nothing to be chatting to important folk about, eh?"

Make a case for my own broad insignificance.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8