Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75259 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #705 on: October 17, 2017, 08:07:23 pm »

Ah. hadn't seen that show up yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 17, 2017, 09:14:58 pm »

Let me tell you the tale of Ugakuga Flesh Lover.

And unremarkable orc I got from the market, save for his poison weapon and his name. I'd had him for a while before I deployed him to fill out my ranks in Nurnen. I chose a Mystic for Overlord of that region. Remember that.

Ugakuga started causing me trouble from almost the minute I put him in the region. He'd formed a Blood Brother bond with an Orc I was planning on killing, and I didn't know it until it was too late. I'd had his level maxed and he was doing pretty good for a non-epic or legendary orc.

So I began the tortorous process of breaking him, because of course killing his Blood Brother gave him Iron Will. (Weird aside but it wasn't actually killing his Blood Brother that turned him...his Blood Brother was alive when he betrayed me. I'd only injured him. However, someone ELSE's Blood Brother had died the second before Ugakuga turned on me, and I think it's a bug in that he mistakenly got mad about a Blood Bond he didn't hold. Just the first oddity in the tale of Ugakuga Flesh Lover.)

I had to take him from level 33 to 6, with some experimentation with death threating him to keep his level up, before he lost Iron Will. Between experimenting and occasionally having to retreat, it was almost a dozen shaming attempts on him. And the process did irreversible damage to him. While his mind held, he gained not one, two, or three mortal weaknesses. He gained four. So when he finally lost Iron Will and I brought the wayward Ugakuga back in to the fold, he was a shell of his former self but still eager to orc it up.

I took him on a few missions, got his level back up to 20 something. I'd planned another mission against a recent arrival for him. What I didn't know is that 4 of my other captains were coming along to assist.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue.....except one of them was Ugakuga's rival. Which I didn't realize at the time. Ugakuga fled from the mission enemy captain and straight into the arms of an enraged marksmen who proceeded to stuff him full of crossbow bolts, and all hell started breaking loose. When I realized what was going on I jumped in to stun and grab his rival (who outclassed him so badly it wasn't even funny.) But it was too late. Poor Ugakuga's health was almost gone, he'd been poisoned...and then to add insult to injury the mission enemy rolls up, runs straight through a dense knot of my troops all packed together on a stair way and shoves a halberd through his chest.

This would be the end of most orcs' stories. Not Ugakuga Flesh Lover.

Dismayed I exited the mission failed screen to the chaos still going on at the site of the battle. The enemy captain was still alive (though not for long), I had 4 other captains there, one of them enraged and going crazy and about 8 of my archers on a vantage point just pouring crossbow bolts into anything with a pulse: the enemy captain, my captains, me. I swear to god those things are more dangerous to you than they are to the enemy sometimes.

Anyways I clear out the trash, check some things out.....

When I notice Ugakuga's rival is still engaged and attacking one of my captains. Some level 18 guy with a bag on his head I don't recognize. Annoyed I grab him and toss him around, thinking he's just in a berzerk rage attacking anyone stupid enough to still be next to him.

And that's when I get a good look at his opponent.

It's Ugakuga. In the flesh and loving it. Sporting a stylish new canvas sack on his head.

I'm overjoyed, but kind of puzzled. I mean, a return from death is epic. Shadow Of...rarely passes up the chance to make some drama out of stuff like this, so why did he just literally stand up and silently start fighting right where he died? I've never seen anything like this.

And that's when I check his stats and see the tag....Undead.

Remember which tribe the overlord I promoted was? Well, I think I know what their regional bonus is now.

I knew you could raise the dead in Shadow of War but in the livestream it was specifically said the undead couldn't be captains. Well, that is patently and clearly false because I have one. Undead normal uruks may not be able to become captains by killing Talion, but the Bright Lord's army will literally take any walking stiff as a captain because I've got one.

And the more I think on it the more prophetic it seems to be. Ugakuga Flesh Lover, the Undead Orc. You might even say he's a....zombie orc.

Sadly being undead is a pretty crippling handicap for an orc. They can no longer level up, they're vulnerable to fire and they can't be dominated. Oh and despite gaining some new abilities, Ugakuga still has 4 mortal weaknesses. Four.

I'm fairly sure his story is over at this point, it just needs an epilogue.

Still I'm deeply curious to know if he's still sentient or if he's like a mute now. This is by far the most interesting character arc I've gotten out of a Shadow Of...game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:30:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 18, 2017, 06:20:52 am »

Meanwhile, I'm having trouble that the game just seems to randomly wipe captains of mine and replace them with enemies? I've lost several favourites this way, including a commander bodyguard with a cool name and a bard (which was particularly dear to me because none of the "The Bards/Poets" I managed to recruit in Shadow of Mordor ever sang or rhymed and also their outfits are super cool in SoW - I wanted to use a fire weapon promotion on my bard so he'd sport a burning lute). I can't figure out what causes it, at first I just assumed it was because I just wasn't paying attention to their missions and they got killed off, but now I've upped my game in that regard and I'm positive there wasn't any missions for them, I was focusing on missions in that region, yet somehow when I open the army screen they were just gone.

Edit: also my importrd Follower finally showed up and somehow duplicated himself, so now I have two off him, both mostly alike but with some minor differences in traits.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:22:49 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 18, 2017, 08:39:05 am »

Meanwhile, I'm having trouble that the game just seems to randomly wipe captains of mine and replace them with enemies? I've lost several favourites this way, including a commander bodyguard with a cool name and a bard (which was particularly dear to me because none of the "The Bards/Poets" I managed to recruit in Shadow of Mordor ever sang or rhymed and also their outfits are super cool in SoW - I wanted to use a fire weapon promotion on my bard so he'd sport a burning lute). I can't figure out what causes it, at first I just assumed it was because I just wasn't paying attention to their missions and they got killed off, but now I've upped my game in that regard and I'm positive there wasn't any missions for them, I was focusing on missions in that region, yet somehow when I open the army screen they were just gone.

Edit: also my importrd Follower finally showed up and somehow duplicated himself, so now I have two off him, both mostly alike but with some minor differences in traits.

the flow of time still affects other maps when you advance time so you do have the chance of your warchiefs and captains dying to new up-and-comers while you're away, but it sounds more like you're having a bug, egad.
my favorite captain who is a blood brother to the warchief, who's job is to slap down challengers has finally died to an epic new mystic something. it is a sad day indeed.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

OutOfManaException

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Phyrexian Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 18, 2017, 09:29:00 am »

So how is it? Is it worth buying?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 18, 2017, 09:34:51 am »

So how is it? Is it worth buying?
big yes

did u like the original (shadow of mordor)? if not, no, its a bigger better version of it

if you never tried the games yet go try the original; you'll need it for story purposes and its good and you can usually get it on sale for a good price.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

OutOfManaException

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Phyrexian Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 18, 2017, 09:35:26 am »

I really did enjoy the original. I might wait for the GotY edition, though.

Thanks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 18, 2017, 09:51:59 am »

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for a decent discount on this... One thing is the bloat 'n' grind, another is just how shitty WB have been about the whole affair.

Also, by that point they'll have hopefully stamped out some of the more troublesome bugs like captains disappearing/duplicating/coming back from the dead only to become non-entities that aren't associated with any hold. Might even have added in some more of the promised features by then.

Is it a bug or a "hidden feature" with Dark tribe uruks hitting you while you're rolling? There was some definite dickery involved in the Potates stream when he went up against a particularly nasty captain who just kept lunging and stabbing him through the I-frames, even excepting Potates' general obliviousness.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 18, 2017, 10:16:09 am »

the flow of time still affects other maps when you advance time so you do have the chance of your warchiefs and captains dying to new up-and-comers while you're away, but it sounds more like you're having a bug, egad.
my favorite captain who is a blood brother to the warchief, who's job is to slap down challengers has finally died to an epic new mystic something. it is a sad day indeed.

I think it works like this:

If you have active nemesis missions in a region, and go to another region and do activities that pass time, the nemesis missions in the previous regions will go to conclusion but no others will be started.

I noticed the same thing as scriver. Or so I thought. When I started keeping an eye on it and roughly remembering which nemesis missions where active when I left a region, it stopped seeming to happen as much.

Also it seems like Ambushes are death sentences. There are so many archers waiting in ambush for the target that I would not be surprised if even great captains can get taken down by an Ambush Nemesis mission.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 18, 2017, 01:21:26 pm »

saw a review where someone complained about microtransactions. something about needing ork boxes? i dunno i play offline.

here's how to deal with ironwilled orks: kill them. then die. cycle those bastards hard. they get harder to convert later cuz you're dealing with hardened orks, so cycle those lesser ones until you get a peasant then convert him.
i dont think people realize that dying isn't a gameover punishment, it's an integral part of the nemesis system: you need to die or almost die to get certain things to happen.
one of my captains just returned to save my goddamn life when i was trying to die to a defender so i can generate a defender commander or tank! the generous prick

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 18, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »

There seems to be a psychic line of code somewhere that automatically detects when you're actively trying to die, and lets your bodyguard come and save you only under those circumstances.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 18, 2017, 01:43:45 pm »

There seems to be a psychic line of code somewhere that automatically detects when you're actively trying to die, and lets your bodyguard come and save you only under those circumstances.

For reals. Of course you could unassign your bodyguard if you're doing stuff like that. But there's still Forthog out there, and I think other non-bodyguard captains can come to your rescue as well.

The problem with shaming guys you want to rid of Iron Will is it ADDS weaknesses. So by the time you've leveled a guy down below 10, he's lost all his good abilities and probably gained 2 to 4 weaknesses, some of them mortal weaknesses. A couple of them will go away and of course they'll get some good abilities back as they level up. But generally it seems like you do more damage to them than is worth the effort. Every guy I've tried to bring back from shaming Iron Will out of them has ended up weak and fragile. At one point I had to use daggers on a captain to break him because a full sword swing at level 34ish would take nearly all his life when he was level 5. The most dangerous time for me in SoW is when I have to pull my punches and am not just chaining attacks, AoEs, dodges and counters together seamlessly.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:47:44 pm by nenjin »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 18, 2017, 02:13:59 pm »

I moved into a new region last night and set about taking over the place. The first 5 captains I fought all turned out to be iron-willed.

Is there any effective way to inflict fire/poison/curse on enemies who are immune to ranged attacks? I'm not crazy about those swords that give a low chance to proc status on top of the already low chance to crit...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 18, 2017, 02:20:24 pm »

Elven light with one of the associated skills?  Also environmental stuff, of course, but you're probably thinking of something a bit more reliable...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #719 on: October 18, 2017, 03:29:09 pm »

Have you guys had any orc captains follow you from one area to another? An orc from the start of the game who came back from death 3 times, once from being cut in half just showed up in another zone entirely and gained the 'obsessed' trait I guess? He said he had journeyed far to find me and put an end to me. He's also now level 30 rather than the 14 I left him at.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53