Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: ROGUELIKE 2: Sword of Azirkan Turn 8: Our Heroes Beat-Down One of Their Own, heh  (Read 20110 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile

What do we do if he hasn't posted by, say, tomorrow night?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
T  U  R  N      3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hmm... they might be able to help me. Well maybe if they weren't doing stuff already. Well I guess I'll just go in and... oh if I go in the main door they'll probably just throw me out and chase me away. And then they wouldn't be guarding the gate. And then something else might get in and wreak havoc inside there. So I'll definitely have to go in the long way to keep something like that from happening.

Try to get into castle through the drainage arch thing.
[3] Theta crawls low and starts to wiggle through the bars of the drainage arch. For a brief, terrifying moment, he gets stuck, and one of the guards with a mug seems to look right at him. [6] He stops moving, though, and the guard soon shrugs and looks away. It turns out flattening himself to the ground motionlessly was just the position he needed, and Theta slips the rest of the way through the bars. Inside the wall, it is obvious that these grounds are not frequently maintained. The wolf scuttles off into a cluster of thick brush growing alongside the exterior wall of the main building.

Green does look good on light grey.

First off: look for traps.

Second off: whichever way we choose to go, I will attempt to scout ahead a bit.

Which way do the footprints lead?

At this moment, I personally recommend taking a peek through the door.

EDIT: I am wielding my hook sword, with the parrying dagger in the off-hand.
The footprints go from where you entered to the wooden door and back, and to the far corridor, and the crates, and everywhere in between. It's a heavily traveled area, and you immediately deduce from the footprints that the wooden door is probably not trapped, and that there are probably no pressure plate traps on the floor in this area. [6+1] There are a large number of footprints leading from the far corridor to the wooden door. They're fresh, they're barefoot, and they very slightly... Inhuman? The toes are way too long. You can distinguish at least five sets, but there could be more.

The rest of the actions happen simultaneously.

Akashir watches in bewildered shock as Sir Deikos drunkenly lumbers towards the door, sword drawn. Sir Lootington steps over and tries to trip him, [3+1 vs 1-1] but the inebriated knight steps on his foot and then shoulders through him into the door, splintering it to pieces! Inside the room, six strange beings huddle around a tiny fire, roasting unidentifiable scraps of meat. They resemble humans, but with hideous animalistic features and simian feet, and their skins are smeared entirely with white ash, aside from their faces. On their faces, a black skull shape is drawn in darker ash, and their huge slitted yellow irises gaze out uncomprehendingly at the inexplicable series of events hurtling towards them.

Fath [4] sidesteps the knight and then steps back in just in time to take up a position at his flank, nine-javelin drawn and chalked. Sir Lootington goes hurtling past, slamming into three of the creatures and bowling them over! The closest underhuman hisses and reaches for a sharpened femur, ducking down just in time as Sir Deikos steps in and his orichalcum blade slashes the air above it [2+1 vs 4 AC]. Fath takes another step to the side, his time as a mercenary guiding his instincts and moving him towards a flank, before he hurls a javelin at the underhuman who narrowly avoided Deikos' blade. [2 vs 4 AC] His javelin goes slightly high and [2] lodges point-first in the far wall. Having just been tackled through a door and thrown onto a pile of surprised hominids, Sir Lootington is too stunned to do much more than writhe on top of the three or so equally stunned creatures beneath him.

Because it seems like the thing to do, Jacob and Akashir pile in and start swinging. Jacob's hook sword [1 vs 4 AC] hooks only air, and he steps back a safe distance as [6+1 vs 4 AC] Akashir charges in like a somewhat confused whirlwind of death, [3 vs 2 HP] neatly decapitating the ash-coated demihuman who had been lucky up until this point and [Cleave: 1 vs 6 HP] slicing a deep cut into the forearm of another! The headless underhuman gurgles wetly and spasms, clawing at the floor briefly before becoming totally still in the center of a spreading pool of blood.

Meanwhile, Quack Quack waddles over to the pile of crates and shifts a few around, looking for useful items. A fairly heavy looking one-handed spiked mace tumbles out of the bottom of a smashed crate. It's been engraved with fairly ornate designs and it looks like the head might have been silvered at some point, but it's pretty grimy. Might be worth something. Jackpot. [+1 old, ornately decorated spiked mace!]

The current situation: Most of our heroes have dogpiled into the other room, where one of their underhuman opponents has already been decapitated and another is bloodied. The only light available is a small fire. The ash-covered underhumans are extremely surprised, and the party will get first initiative against them next round in addition to this surprise round. It seemed natural for everybody who wasn't already engaged doing something to run in and attack, but let me know if you'd prefer for me to not do this in the future.
I know that my drawings are lifelike enough to need no explanation, but feel free to ask if you need help because you don't understand art

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile

((Agh. Sorry.))

Revelling in bloodshed, whirl my blades around like a dervish while letting loose a battlecry.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now to find someone to help her!

Find an entrance into the castle proper.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

((You played my character exactly like I'd want.))

Charge the bloodied underhuman, and throw him upon the imbeded javelin.
(unless my javelins are not pointed on both ends, in that case, just throw another one)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*sigh* Carp. That was not what I wanted to happen.

Welp, no point in switching to the hand crossbow now. Would the parrying dagger make sense for defending against our opponents' weapons? If not, I switch to my buckler.
Anyway, I try to disarm as many of our opponents as is possible.

Also, I'd like for my character to be more careful about going in to battle. Don't just rush in blade first; pull out the hand crossbow and start firing that, instead, if combat starts and I'm not in the middle of it. And don't start combat unless it's inevitable.

EDIT: Hey. Hey Inaluct. Hey.
For future reference, I want a fogging shovel.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:55:34 pm by Glass »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile

((Godamnit Reith.))
Sir Lootington stands up, and proceeds to crush the skulls of the three creatures next to him with some pretty fancy cane fighting.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quack-Quack stares at the mace he's pilfered, running his wingtips over the spikes and knob, head nodding over and over again. The duck smiles as much as a duck can smile and swings the mace above his head with an infectious enthusiasm.

*In Quack* "Such a fine weapon, a sight better than my Lamp to be sure. Combining both aesthetic and function so... That it's still serviceable today speaks volumes of the smith's talent... Smith, if you're listening, whoever you were, I'd like you to know I'll be sure to put your mace to good use the first chance I get."

Quack-Quack hears the sounds of battle, and clashing of steel.

*In Quack* "Speaking of chances..."

*In Common with a heavy accent* "TALLY-HO YE DAMNED SIM'IAN CARPETBAGGERS!"

Quack-Quack charges into the melee with the old, but new to him mace, howling insults, and slurred traditional duck battle-cries.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile

Hehe...

Deikos stumbles around and grins stupidly. This is the life of a knight!
Deikos kicks the fire at the nearest ape-man before drunkenly trying to murder the bloodied one.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
T  U  R  N      4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to find someone to help her!

Find an entrance into the castle proper.
Oh. Theta's a girl wolf. My bad.

[2] The wolf skirts the wall for a while, staying within brush when possible and crawling low when there's only tall grass. Eventually, she comes to what looks like another drainage grate, but this one is set into the castle wall itself. A draft of warmer air comes from it, but inside it's dark enough that it doesn't seem to be currently inhabited by humans. A basement? Either way, the bars on this one are thankfully spaced a little more widely, and Theta can hear what sounds like the distant clash of metal serving trays and shouts of merriment issuing forth. Even sizzling and the smelling of roasting meat! Maybe it's a peripheral hallway that leads to the main feasting hall! Humans love feasting halls, Theta remembers this being a big thing with them a millennium ago.

((Agh. Sorry.))

Revelling in bloodshed, whirl my blades around like a dervish while letting loose a battlecry.
Akashir screams and loses himself in his bloodlust, [4+1 vs 4 AC] clearly terrifying the already alarmed underhumans and slicing a deep gouge into closest's face! [1 damage vs 5/6 HP: 4/6 HP]

((You played my character exactly like I'd want.))

Charge the bloodied underhuman, and throw him upon the imbeded javelin.
(unless my javelins are not pointed on both ends, in that case, just throw another one)
(Your roleplaying made it easy.)

Fath grunts and charges, scooping the bloodied troglodyte up and sprinting towards the javelin stuck in the wall! [3 vs 4 (Strength test)] The underhuman lets out a guttural cry and kicks his feet loose, bracing them against the floor and shouldering the dwarf to the ground! It looms over him, fanged mouth frozen in a rictus of fear and anger as it reaches for a burning brand from the fire! The creature lifts it, glowing embers showering sparks down, and presses it towards the dwarf's face!

*sigh* Carp. That was not what I wanted to happen.

Welp, no point in switching to the hand crossbow now. Would the parrying dagger make sense for defending against our opponents' weapons? If not, I switch to my buckler.
Anyway, I try to disarm as many of our opponents as is possible.

Also, I'd like for my character to be more careful about going in to battle. Don't just rush in blade first; pull out the hand crossbow and start firing that, instead, if combat starts and I'm not in the middle of it. And don't start combat unless it's inevitable.

EDIT: Hey. Hey Inaluct. Hey.
For future reference, I want a fogging shovel.
Just in the nick of time, Jacob darts in and deftly hooks his sword around the burning wood. [1 vs 6 (Strength test)] The snow elf and the antihuman strain against each other for a long moment, and then the beast grunts and forces all his weight upon the brand, forcing it into Fath's right eye socket. The dwarf screams, and a gout of hissing steam rises from his face. -5 HP! Fath is unconscious and on the verge of death!

((Godamnit Reith.))
Sir Lootington stands up, and proceeds to crush the skulls of the three creatures next to him with some pretty fancy cane fighting.
Like all of his line, Sir Lootington's quixotic estimation of his own ability was sure to emerge sooner rather than later. With a horrified shout, he runs forward and two-hands his cane into the back of the head of the subhuman burning out the dwarven mercenary's eye. [2-1 vs 4-1 AC (target is grappling)] Unfortunately, he whiffs it completely.

Quack-Quack stares at the mace he's pilfered, running his wingtips over the spikes and knob, head nodding over and over again. The duck smiles as much as a duck can smile and swings the mace above his head with an infectious enthusiasm.

*In Quack* "Such a fine weapon, a sight better than my Lamp to be sure. Combining both aesthetic and function so... That it's still serviceable today speaks volumes of the smith's talent... Smith, if you're listening, whoever you were, I'd like you to know I'll be sure to put your mace to good use the first chance I get."

Quack-Quack hears the sounds of battle, and clashing of steel.

*In Quack* "Speaking of chances..."

*In Common with a heavy accent* "TALLY-HO YE DAMNED SIM'IAN CARPETBAGGERS!"

Quack-Quack charges into the melee with the old, but new to him mace, howling insults, and slurred traditional duck battle-cries.
You can almost hear Dixie play as Quack Quack waddles forward at a good clip and [2+1 vs 4-1 AC] smashes the simi-man with the burning stick across the back of his degenerately sloped skull. CRAAACK! [5+1 vs 4/6 HP; -2 HP] The beast's head dislocates from his neck and sticks on Quack Quack's spiked mace.

Hehe...

Deikos stumbles around and grins stupidly. This is the life of a knight!
Deikos kicks the fire at the nearest ape-man before drunkenly trying to murder the bloodied one.
It took a while for Deikos to react, and the bloodied one is already dead, but such is the life of a knight! Hah! He rears back and boots the fire across the crowd of surviving hominids! [5 vs 4, 6, 2, 2] One manages to turn away just in time. Another hisses in pain but covers his eyes. The final two scream and cover their eyes a split second too late! Sir Deikos presses his chivalric initiative, [5+1 vs 4-1 AC (opponent blinded)] running the closest blinded one through! Through a thin layer of skin pulled tight over its emaciated ribcage. Oh well, you can't have everything. [1 vs 5 HP: 4/5 HP]

The ashen beasts finally manage to scramble out of the fray long enough to gather their wits... and their weapons. The creature that Deikos just skewered screeches and raises a sharpened bone, plunging the chisel like tip against the knight's visor! [2-1 vs 6 AC (assailant blinded)] Small chips of bone break away and a few slide inside to flick onto his sweaty drunken face, but he takes no damage at all from the feeble onslaught.

Another grabs a heavy stone and hurls it at Akashir! [4 vs 5 AC] The berserk warrior dodges to the side just in time to avoid it!

One of the blinded creatures seizes upon a short corroded blade, the remnants of an old snapped two-handed sword, and staggers into Jacob, swinging wildly! [4-1 vs 6 (assailant blinded)] The snow elf easily avoids the blows, blocking with his parrying dagger and then hooking his hooked-blade and [1 vs 2 (Strength test)] attempting to disarm. Unfortunately, the beast keeps his grip.

The final troglodyte reaches up and grabs Fath's javelin, [1] pulling hard and straining to remove it from the wall, but failing.

Note: The snow elf is a thief and has a once per delve ability to reroll a single die roll, regardless of whether it has anything to do with him or not. He can use it, and something here can get retconned. Or he can not use it yet and wait for something even worse to happen.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:43:10 pm by inaluct »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Defend. Fath.
Also, use the hook sword to trip my opponents. That should be dex checks instead of strength, right?

EDIT: Frost magic. Put out the fire with my frost magic.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:45:32 pm by Glass »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Defend. Fath.
Also, use the hook sword to trip my opponents. That should be dex checks instead of strength, right?

I'd put tripping as a strength thing too, but I'll let the peanut gallery decide. Maybe it's situational and it's be dexterity against blinded opponents or something. I'm open to arguments that I should be using dexterity for this instead.

I didn't see the frost magic thing coming into play here, that's clever.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile

Deikos laughs in exhilaration.

Filthy cave apes... ruining... evereugh.

murder
drunken
kill
roar
urgh
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile

"YES! AHAHAHAHA, MORE BLOODSHED! MORE GORE!"

WHIRL HARDER
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Defend. Fath.

I'd put tripping as a strength thing too, but I'll let the peanut gallery decide. Maybe it's situational and it's be dexterity against blinded opponents or something. I'm open to arguments that I should be using dexterity for this instead.

I didn't see the frost magic thing coming into play here, that's clever.
My plan was for this stuff to be dex based... I'm not doing a star wars clash of weapons, I'm catching their weapon in my hook and twisting, preferably before they can react.
How about it's my dex vs. their strength?

EDIT:That, up there, is not what I'm doing.

EDIT2: All of the fire in the room, not just one isolated flame.

EDIT3: While freezing all of the fire, I yell out 你们的东西很冷!(Literally, "You're stuff is very cold!  :P And pronounced "nee men duh dongshi hen lung", or at least, that's a decent approximation.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:45:49 pm by Glass »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13