Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 16808 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP thread
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 03:41:39 am »

You can open up the picture in your editor of choice to get a closer look, but here's what I drew:

Shub-Niggurath (based on her appearance in Quake)

Hastur, the King in Yellow

A W.I.P "Thief" Cultist

A black Shoggoth from the actual short story "At the Mountains of Madness"
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 04:10:45 am »

@Urist
You don't have to create all the poses, most of us actually don't till we actually use them in battle, however it's good to have at least a walking and idle poses.
@Greatness
The thief is nice, however the shub-niggurath, could use some more defining details that make it look like a creature not a building, the shogguth as well. While the king could use a more human and flowing pose
Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These indians were the first army I learned to draw "flowing poses",  upper sprites are "square" indians that I created when starting and the bottom guy is when I figured out that the upper guys looked bad. Note that the bottom guy is not and you probably don't won't a macho king (unless you do), but you get the idea.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 04:21:42 am »

I guess it could be higher in quality, but I based it off of this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks pretty similar, but I guess I could make it bigger. I'm not sure how to define the Shoggoth more, as it's described as "It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train — a shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter", so if you could give a suggestion to make it more like that, I would appreciate it. I will gladly admit that Hastur needs a bit more work for his robe.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 10:30:05 am »

*bump of advice*

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 10:42:10 am »

My suggestion would be to A.) make it bigger, as it is indeed described as quite large, and B.) consider making it a segmented kind of hero unit.

My best guess is that it's a worm-type thing, if you make it large enough you can simply insert it into most tunnels and trim the sprite after placement to have it appear behind the foreground and appear to be filling the tunnel. BUT THATS GOING OFF THE WRITTEN DESCRIPTION.

If you want to *base* a design off of the reference picture you have--I would suggest then still making it a bit larger, giving it legs, and make it more bubbly and gross looking. It's a little stiff too--it IS a lovecraftian creature after all, make it writhe and wriggle, slobbering and screeching wherever it goes. And finally, some shading would go a long way to giving it some depth, which I think would lessen a lot of these problems.

EDIT: Speaking of segments, I'm already realizing I have to go back to the drawing board on my robo-mob... that third dimension will look weird af on a map. I have to make it flatter!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:44:29 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 12:11:23 pm »

So, in other words, put in more of everything? I like it. Sure, I'll do that later.

Also, I'm going to divide it up to respond in a bit more detail:

Shoggoth: The segmented hero in the tunnel. I like that. Makes it more Lovecraftian in nature.

Shub-Niggurath: Yeah, if I make it bigger, I can put in more details. And stuff like the writhing, the gross looking texture and bubbling, and the shading can be put in easier if she's big.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »

EpicJ showed up and said he can join. If Asgarus has time to play we will accept him into our match, unless you guys want a bigger (more than four people) match.

I'm also thinking of starting a "finding people to play thread" so that we can keep this for WIP. Should I?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2017, 11:39:55 pm »

yea probably, but maybe not? This could be the PW general kind of creative thread?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2017, 11:43:25 pm »

yea probably, but maybe not? This could be the PW general kind of creative thread?
Ok, sure :D

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 01:29:32 am »

Spoiler: Upgraded Sketchpad (click to show/hide)

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 02:03:08 am »

I think that you should avoid using straight lines when spriting something living, even if it is Shub-Niggurath :)  If you look to your reference pic closely, you'll clearly will see that. Here's how I see it, basing on your sprite:

I have to admit that your shading skill is good, keep it up!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:05:13 am by stefman »
Russians are coming!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 02:14:26 am »

I think the legs should be thicker, or you could remove them. The Shoggoth could use a more round like shape and the eyes could use some more strategical placement, so they look like eyes.
By the way, I will be starting a match thread for you guys on Friday if that's fine.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2017, 02:21:59 am »

That's fine!

That's a good point. Even us humans bend and twist, so something Lovecraftian would do it moreso. I'll redraw the "Jail Cell" lines, the legs, and the Shoggoth right now.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:31:41 am by Greatness942 »

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 02:45:16 am »

Shoggot's top is still flat. Also, tentacles are commonly thinner at their ends and thicker in places where they're connected to the body.
Russians are coming!

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 03:21:30 am »

Spoiler: Will this work? (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13