Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387058 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3360 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:58 pm »

Revision:
6 - Better Magegems: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, FallacyofUrist, Helmacon, Kadzar, Andres
0 - Crystal Optics:

Myark:
4 - Send to Western Sea - FallacyofUrist, Chiefwaffles, Kadzar, Andres
Phew! Got here just in time. Man this vote was close!

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 21, 2017, 01:26:30 am »

There really isn't any reason why we shouldn't be able to make antimatter-powered explosions. It is very clear that B.B.s do, in fact, work that way, and flipping a positive to a negative is exactly how mathemagics works. Combining contrary elements to make a larger explosion is not exactly an aversion of alchemical lore. Not to mention that that the enemy's metal is getting to ludicrously overpowered levels.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 21, 2017, 03:00:44 am »

Their metal is the same as our crystal, just a bit less brittle.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 21, 2017, 03:57:42 am »

Their metal is a permanent heat-source. It may not be as hot as our flame walls, but it stays that way, apparently with no external force, Perpetually. They can make shields out of it that are very nearly immune to fireballs. warm strips that make them immune to any extremes of cold. Apparently it is cheap too. They can juice it up to act as a lethally hot lump that just does whatever it wants wherever they can put it. Not to mention that the stuff is otherwise very much like our crystals. If we had it then we could run our steam-engines for free. It is only a matter of time before they make sealed cabins out of the stuff and ignore altitude. Good luck fighting them when they are twenty kilometres high...

Our crystals are just a material. Their metal is total immunity to any form of environmental concerns that lack the "armour piercing" label.

At a guess I would say that they have a material enchantment magic that allows them to imbue properties onto a material.

Anyone in the mood for a 20kilometre tall forest? I am in the mood for a 20 kilometre tall forest... And no, trees that big are not vulnerable to fire...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: June 21, 2017, 11:06:49 am »

For our next revision, I'm thinking we should do this:

Revision: Weighted Crystal Shells
Modifying Crystal is easy - we've done it numerous times with numerous revisions, and have even done stuff like Crystal Glass, which can be easily made and incorporated with other crystal. This revision is no different, and has a simple goal:
Heavier crystal that we then make shells with.

The reason we don't use crystal in our shells and bullets right now is simple - weight. Crystal is just a bit too late for use as a projectile and suffers for it. So we make some trivial tweaks to a new process in the Crystalworks and have it printing out crystal shells for both our standard and special ammunition!
Our expensive ammunition would be easier to make with the cheaper crystal - namely the Blastshell, but hopefully also the Equalizer.
All our ammunition will be a bit more effective at their job, as we're aiming to make weighted crystal shells heavier than their steel counterparts. Not heavy enough to disrupt range, but enough to increase the kinetic energy by just a bit.

If possible, we're also planning on spending a day or two on making a spell for conjuring a standard weighted crystal shell. The shell would still dispel in antimagic fields and would still take some time to summon, but it shouldn't be any difficulty to make the formula allowing the conjuration of crystal shells, and means our artillery can continue operating to limited effectiveness without a supply line.

TL;DR: Make our shells out of a heavier variant of crystal in order to reduce expense, and increase weight of shells enough to increase effectiveness/armor piercing/kinetic energy, but not enough to decrease range. (Just make as heavy as steel if former's not possible.)
Material Swap - We swap the material in our shells. Instead of steel, we use crystal. This has always been an extremely trivial task.
Heavier Crystal - We make a variant of crystal a bit heavier than steel - enough for better kinetic energy and the like, but not enough to decrease range (or just the same). Considering how easily we made Crystal Glass, and the fact that we have the Crystalworks, this should be easy.
Benefits - The (slightly) heavier shells would hit harder without a decrease in range (though if this isn't possible, we just use the same weight as steel). But more importantly, our more expensive shells like the Equalizer and the Blastshell should all drop a level in expense, making the Equalizer Expensive, the Blastshell-R/E Cheap, and the Blastshell-RE Expensive.

In addition to its immediate benefits, this revision also makes the idea of quickly summoning crystal shells in lieu of self-loading a bit easier. I'm still not completely certain if that's the way to go regarding self-loading, but it's nice regardless.

And we should also look into making guided ammunition in the future. Manuevering can be done by thrust vectoring a constant Blastball via modifying it in real time, but the actual "smart" portion would be mildly difficult. Maybe a Mindgem with the intelligence of a wasp.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:50 am »

For our next revision, I'm thinking we should do this:
We really, truly have better things to do than using a Revision phase on heavier crystal. We'll need to do something about their tornadoes next turn since we're not doing anything about them this turn.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: June 21, 2017, 11:30:56 am »

It's not "using a revision phase on heavier crystal". It's a single easy revision to make our EA cheaper, makes our ammunition more effective, reduce our reliance on fragile supply lines, move a bit towards quick-loading weaponry, and maybe even make the Equalizer cheaper.

And we also have the design phase.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »

Revision: Better Magegems [3+1]

A more rigerous selection of quartz for crystal batteries shows that more perfect crystalline structures make for better batteries.  As a result, we switch to a specially-made glass, smelted with closely-held secret methods.  The workshop for the glass production is addended to our Crystalworks, and we should now be able to produce crystal glass "slugs" that work as improved batteries.

Sticking with the A-levels, a AAA battery should be able to power a couple flares.  An AA battery should be able to power a SPSF-C all by itself, and an A battery should be able to power a regular PSF-C.  Three A batteries can power a single PSF in all its glory.

The gems no longer atrophy stored energy thanks to bands of minor nickel circuitry around the ends, so they should have an indefinite shelf life.  We've taken the liberty of swapping out the improved gems with gems mounted in our existing equipment.

The R1 should be merely Expensive for non-mage users, though the range and load times means some commanders may elect to use longbows instead.  Our Blastshells now have increased range and explosive capabilities thanks to the improved energy density, although they are Very Expensive with both aspects (explosive shells and long-range shells are individually Expensive). 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 21, 2017, 02:27:00 pm »

Please vote on the thesis to present.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 21, 2017, 02:27:56 pm »

GM, now that magegems are produced by our crystalworks, do they become an expense level lower?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 21, 2017, 02:28:59 pm »

1 - Chiefwaffles' Thesis - FallacyofUrist

Hey guys? I have a worry to present. Would it make sense at all to use a Research Credit gained from a Thesis about Aethergems on Catgirl Assassins?

Basically, the Research Credit might be limited to what the thesis is about, or at least something connected to the thesis.
~~~
GM, now that magegems are produced by our crystalworks, do they become an expense level lower?
Haaaaaaah.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:34 pm »

No.

I mean, they kind of did?  But no, they don't also go down an expense level.  Depending on how you look at it, they already went down two expense levels in that revision.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:33:06 pm by evictedSaint »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: June 21, 2017, 02:33:28 pm »

Because a given expense level of gem now works better, even if it's not cheaper?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:16 pm »

Darn. So close to getting cheap EA and R1s! Still, what we got was pretty good thanks to the good roll. The EA in the amounts we have it in should be quite useful on battlefield and we have enough long-ranged shells to take out their airships.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:37 pm »

Awesome! Exactly what we set out out do. I'll post my thesis soon.

Evicted, two questions:
I'm assuming we can't equip all our Expensive HA1s with Expensive Blastshells?
And was there enough size reduction so we can equip the Expensive Blastshells in smaller cannons?

Oh, and we needed two A gems to power a SPSF-C before, right?
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 301