Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386997 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1215 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:59 pm »

It's my understanding that the battles are an abstraction.

We don't literally fight just 1 battle per year. There's no down time or preparation time.

Yeah, I didn't say we only fight once. I know there are multiple fights, but there is still immense down time between them.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 28, 2017, 05:02:36 pm »

Ebbor since you brought up the idea how about we design a new ship next year, then use our revision if the ship is functional to make a metal version of our crystal long axes and make it more halberd like. SInce the Long axes already have the axe head and a spike on top it shouldn't be that hard.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 28, 2017, 05:07:29 pm »

I'm going to wait for the results, and see just what fires we need to take care of.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 28, 2017, 05:08:14 pm »

There will, howeer, e much more plants, they serve as a visual obstruction, not just to specific soldiers but to entire squads. One of those trees is not going to stop much, but many will stop lots. A horse can brush one aside, a dozen will stop a sane horse, three dozen will stop one of our shires unless it is in full-plate and on crack cocaine. This spell does exactly what it is supposed to. It makes the jungle denser and more widespread, that is a huge huge huge huge advantage to a defending force facing widespread cavalry, they have been marching horses into our jungle campsites for crying out loud... We can develop offensive uses later and this saves the forest, which means more wood which means more ships, more housing, more siege towers, more dreaming grufurunch trees from which to produce forbidden staves of desolation... It is good magic that does what we need it to, secure the jungle and prep us for seas next turn.

It is, perhaps, more importantly a means towards terraforming. Before the devastation of the jungle we did not know that terrain could be changed, now we do. It was used against us because we favoured a fragile environment and now we shall fight back.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 28, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »

I think it's a 100% good idea to spend next design and revisions on earthforming.
100%
No way that wouldn't good idea.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »

I want to see our first steam ship

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 28, 2017, 05:24:53 pm »

No
You see
We get earthforming
no more sea

Problem solved
Forever
Thanks to my genius
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 28, 2017, 05:32:57 pm »

A anbiotonous idea. I just wait to see these results.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 28, 2017, 05:33:15 pm »

Genius! lets totally go for that.
lets rise a new atlantis from the sea.
Nothing can go wrong!

Team earthforming go!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »

I was thinking about it earlier and drew up a rough draft for a fireball powered cannon. I mostly did this for fun and to toss the idea into the mix. I'm not really proposing it as an option, mostly just sharing it as part of the brainstorming process (so no need to attack it if you hate it).

The first one is fairly straightforward, you cast fireball into the wide opening at the rear, the cannon directs and pressurizes it until it reaches a chamber filled with ammunition. The force of the explosion is transferred to the projectile and it is launched through the air with force.

The second one is basically the same concept, but involves some technology that we will likely never invent (but I'm going to explain it anyhow). Basically the red section is a fireball spell inscripted on two interlocking blocks within the cannon. When the two blocks connect they complete the spell (the black circle) thus activating it and creating a small explosion. This launches the projectile like a normal cannon. This would require a few turns to invent, and its likely we will never do so.

However, the interlocking explosive spell inscription can be scaled down for use in land and sea mines, explosive arrows, and as a replacement for gunpowder in guns. If anything, that may be the most useful design on this sheet. I basically wanted a magical equivalent to gunpowder, and after some thinking, this seemed like a pretty decent replacement given our current technology and magical ability.

Edit: Oh yeah, it may be important to explain why we'd want a fireball powered cannon over just straight fireballs. Long story short, it would give us increased range, which we seem to need in the ocean and to counter their seige weapons.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:57:15 pm by Roboson »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 28, 2017, 05:59:08 pm »

awww, no love for steam cannons?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 28, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »

Only because we need to perfect steam engine (should be like one more revision?) and we have the trade mark on fire ball. So more feasible.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 28, 2017, 06:02:05 pm »

We really need to be gradual with this stuff, because as others have mentioned, we've been spread way too thin with new designs lately.
We have the anti-magic bombs, dogwood wands, and steam engine. All three have tons of potential but are, at this point, all at primitive states.

Just pointing this out, but I don't have an exact idea for what to do yet. Steam-based projectile launchers would be a great direction but the question is how much time do we have to invest to get them actually useful? We need to find some kind of midway design that's immediately effective by itself without further iterations and serves as a bridge to better designs.
Magic firearms could work, but if I had to guess I'd say they won't be that useful the first time around unless we get a 6.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:05:46 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 28, 2017, 06:04:01 pm »

Yeah do not want to end up like Germany in WW2. Too thinninnrrsources to make anything worth while while our crowning achievements become obsolete.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 28, 2017, 06:06:24 pm »

I am not seriously proposing steam cannons now.

I believe we could get one working in a turn if we tries. We already managed to launch the rotor of our early engines quite a distance away, we just need to do that on purpose. But for now, we should close some loose ends. First thing, I would say perfecting our turbine ( and by perfecting I mean making it work better than equivalent rowers) and using it. Then either one of the 2, although the dogwood one can be improved to our needs by revisions, I believe.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 301