Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386971 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1245 on: April 28, 2017, 06:46:16 pm »

Combat for 927

Our Dogwood Mages spend nearly every waking hour cluttering the soon-to-be field of battle.  Saplings sprout in dense clusters, and all manner of brambles, thorns, and vines spot the ground between the trees that make up what's left of the jungle.  It should prevent Moskurg from using their formation bonus to full effect, but only to a limited degree.  The war has been hard on the delicate ecosystem; trees are splintered by lightning strikes, charred by fireballs, and cut to stumps for fortifications.  The cold has killed off most of the natural undergrowth, but our Dogwoods make up what they can.  It's not nearly as much as had been devastated, but the ground isn't uniformly bare any more.

Nothing much has changed during skirmishes; their men still shiver in the cold when we charge into their camps and snipe their men, and our men still scramble when Moskurg horse archers ride through spewing arrows.

As always, our assault makes heavy use of fireballs.  We make our way through the semi-bare land, only for their spears to start raining from the heavens again.  Plate armor can't stop an arrow from God, so one of our commanders ends up pinned to the ground by the shaft of wood.  They aren't terribly frequent, thankfully, but unlike last year they don't taper off and stop.  They keep coming, sniping our mages and our commanders with that same damn accuracy.    By the time we get to their lines we can see them; ballistas, made of wood and animal sinews.  They hurriedly wheel the contraptions out of range as we draw closer, stopping to spit stone shot into our troops.  It's clear now what we're fighting; artillery.  Our men are disheartened by the raining death that not even their fantastic armor will stop, but they charge on like the brave soldiers they are.  We have only a few mages and apprentices left, but when they're in range they cast their fire with fabulous effect.  Our archers begin their volleys as well, but we're shocked to find Moskurg soldiers don't wither before our arrow fire like before.  Many die, but more than a couple manage to shrug off the heavy ashwood shafts.  When our melee troops reach their lines the reason becomes clear; their painted, flexible armor no longer shields just their commanders and mages but their entire force as well.  Both we and the enemy attempt to get our calvary into play, but they're used to limited effect and neither side has the advantage.  For the ground forces, their halberds are just as effective as their new armor, managing to punch through the weaker sections of our plate armor.  They work in tandem; one soldiers will grab an Arstotzkan fighter with his hook and the other will carefully line up the killing blow.  Our armor is superior to theirs in terms of protection and our troops are more highly trained, but we've had to march through artillery fire to meet them.  The fighting is relatively even, but we might have pulled ahead had their cursed wizards and their ivory staffs snuffed out the magic of our mages.  Giant glowing fields extend outwards from their lines and envelop what's left of our wizards, once more causing magic to fizzle on their fingertips.  Our mage-hunters do their best to kill the casters, but their anti-magic bomb arrows fail to detonate once inside the glowing field and thud harmlessly into their tall wooden shields.  With equal troops, limited commanders, and no effective mages, our forces are forced to pull back to our fortifications.

Moskurg doesn't advance on our emplacements - not right away, at least.  Their artillery sends deadly accurate javelins and stone shot into our troops all day long.  They snipe us to death at great range, and when we're forced to sally forth and destroy the siege weaponry the same battle occurs.  Our mages can't cast, our anti-mages can't kill, and our men are slaughtered.  With great reluctance, our Theatre Commander pulls back and cedes the ground to Moskurg.

Our Theatre Commander demands fireballs that can match Moskurg in range.  They're holding us at a distance and pelting us with sticks and stones!  Our fireballs are far more effective than a Moskurg rock; if we had the same range we would clearly win every time.  It would also solve the issue of their anti-magic preventing our mages from casting.  Whether you must design new artillery or upgrade an existing spell, we need something to match the Moskurgs in range.  As for the plant growth, he points out that it needs more power - being able to sprout a line of trees for cover would be invaluable, and giant walking trees that could wade through helpless Moskurg soldiers would be a dream come true.  But - and he stresses this - we need artillery first.

Moskurg gains a section of jungle.

Their artillery is equally devastating on the high seas.  We can't catch them or match them for range, so they slowly chip our ships to death.  We pull back, ceding a section of coastline to the enemy.

Our Theatre Commander tenders his resignation at the insistence of many members of the design team and will be replaced by a more competent Commander next year.

Moskurg gains a section of coastline in the Western Sea.

Revision Credit!!!  Foreigners land on our shores.  They are dark skinned and clad in simple garments of rough cotton and furs, and their accent is thick and difficult to understand.  They approach our king and beg for assistance.  It seems they are from across the ocean from a small country in a hot desert land and their home is under attack by invaders.  They are a poor people, and in their desperate search for mercenaries to help them hold their land they come to Forenia.  They cannot afford to pay for mercenary services, but if we help them them offer the wisdom of their mystic, an old man by the name of Barbushe.  Because Moskurg and Arstotzka are unwilling to cooperate, they will go with whichever nation can offer more troops, weapons, and other equipment to help them beat back the invaders. 

Whatever troops we send will be unable to fight for our nation next year, and may not return if the fight goes poorly.  Yet their offer is enticing, as their mystic seems knowledgeable and may offer more insight into magic. 

What should we bid?

It is 928, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 928 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arstotzkan Elite Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Spells (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 28, 2017, 06:50:16 pm »

I prefer steam-cannon to fireball cannon. I really don't see how the fireball is going to be better behind a projectile than thrown into kegger faces. You do raise a valid point about the range, but it is a lot of effort to go to and you still need to trade effect for range, the projectile you launch will be smaller then the fireball that launches it would have been and loading it then casting a fireball probably consumes more time than just casting the fireball, but that could be stream-lined with multiple operators... But still, we could probably just revise the fireballs to have longer range and smaller radius directly by making them more forcefully contained...

Steam-cannons at least have the advantage of saving power up over a long time. They let you concentrate your efforts into a single devastating volley. Or something so massive that you could never normally project it. Like... We could build a hundreds-of-metres long steam-cannon into the side of a mountain with which to bombard the kegger's capital, Kegstonedia, with giant antimagic crystals so as to drain the magical affinity from their population...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 28, 2017, 06:52:25 pm »

Well ninj'd by the GM anyway we need artillery of our own or something to destroy theirs like termites or long ranged fireballs.

Of we are going to develop cannons we might as well make blackpowder it was discover around now in China so it's not far fetched.

Also a steam cannon would be vastly better then a fireball cannon simply since the fireball couldn't get enough pressure behind it due to it's nature.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:57:03 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 28, 2017, 06:54:39 pm »

I think either we do the cannon and pray, or we revise the fireball to be longer ranged, while we spend the design on a steam ship.
I like the latter, but am open to both. if nobody writes proposals, for them by tomorrow when I wake up, I'll write them myself.

edit: @stabby come on, black powder? that is so... mundane!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:49 pm »

So, tons of problems, most of them we brought on ourselves:
  • We need a way to fix their unrelenting accuracy.
  • We need a way to pierce their new armor
  • We need better defense against their halberds
  • We need a way to circumvent their anti-magic.
  • Low priority: Better dogwood wands. Note to self: Look into even larger-scale, faster growth, and/or ents.

Therefore, I introduce a new design:
Hybrid Fireball Cannon
A very expensive contraption that utilizes existing steam technology to create immense pressure in its chamber. One of the mages manning it summons a fireball in the firing compartment, and it'll fire at its target with extreme range and velocity. Designed to be set-up behind the frontlines in more secluded places manned by a small crew and guard, similar to a trebuchet. In the seas, it will be placed on a small number of ships that fire upon the enemy from afar.

This could change the tides! Potentially outmatching their own artillery, expanding the effectiveness of our fireballs land and sea, and circumventing their anti-magic by being completely out of range of the stuff.

Designs
1 - (Chiefwaffles) Hybrid Fireball Cannon: Chiefwaffles
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 28, 2017, 06:59:30 pm »

we should ask the GM if the fireball is actually explosive or if it is just a ball of hot gas that spreads on impact or something.

Don't get too caught up on specifics.  Don't forget that it's all dice and judgement behind the scenes of designs and revisions. 

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 28, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »

Guys I got a way to deal with their super natural accuracy
Tower of Fog the tower of dog based off our both our tower of frost and fog spells to create a thick fog enchanted in a way so that our troops can sense each other and the enemy.
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 28, 2017, 07:06:22 pm »

I say we revise our anti-magic charms or fog to prevent their lucky stuff and focus on ways to deal with their artillery, anti-magic, armor, and weapons for now. All four of those things seriously need addressing.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 28, 2017, 07:07:21 pm »

Tower of Fog the tower of dog based off our both our tower of frost and fog spells to create a thick fog enchanted in a way so that our troops can sense each other and the enemy.

Out of curiosity, do you guys even read the Theatre Commander reports?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 28, 2017, 07:14:35 pm »

Out of curiosity, do you guys even read the Theatre Commander reports?
What's a report? And how do you read?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 28, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »

Ok, we need artillery this turn. No question about that. We can design a cannon this phase and use a revision on steam engines. Or we can use a design on something and then revise our fireball to be longer range.

I'd prefer to use the design phase on a cannon and then revise whatever we think we need. It would be dangerous to wait and risk rolling poorly on revision.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 28, 2017, 07:34:12 pm »

..What? We have one design submitted right now and it's a cannon. We don't need to worry about what to revise at the moment because we don't know how the cannon is going to turn out. Hopefully it gets all 6s and is amazing and we can use the revision for something else, and maybe not.
(pls vote for Hybrid Fireball Cannon)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 28, 2017, 07:37:22 pm »

I'll vote for the cannon, but I'm leaving the tower design up there incase someone things it's a good idea

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 28, 2017, 07:49:25 pm »

..What? We have one design submitted right now and it's a cannon. We don't need to worry about what to revise at the moment because we don't know how the cannon is going to turn out. Hopefully it gets all 6s and is amazing and we can use the revision for something else, and maybe not.
(pls vote for Hybrid Fireball Cannon)

I'm saying its a bad idea to not go with the cannon, because if we just revised to long range fireballs, we wouldn't be able to save it if it went wrong. I'm in agreement with you.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 28, 2017, 07:52:09 pm »

Ah, I see. I'll add you and stabby to the quote. pleaseplease do it yourself next time

Designs
3 - (Chiefwaffles) Hybrid Fireball Cannon: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, Stabby
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 301