Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199727 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2850 on: July 15, 2017, 04:48:22 am »

Quote from: Designs
Bane - Magical Explosive : (3) Taricus, Kashyyk,khang36
Lightning Rifle :
Lightning Cannon : (1) Happerry
Angel Wings :
Storm Elementals : (1) SMMI
Hariq al-Siyni (Chinese Fire) :
al-Tawrbinat's Wind Machine: (0)
Phoenix (Airship with flamethrowers): (4) NUKE9.13, detoxicated, Madman198237, AC
Adamantine Plate Armor: 
Storm Elementals (Soul Transposal) :
I stand by my stated belief we need to get working on Railguns.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:25 am »

"Death trap" for who? How can it be worse than Bane, the explosive that won't explode until you've spent an hour making it explosive again?

Us.

You're expecting a design filled with volatile liquid, that needs to be over the enemy's head to do anything,  whilst based on a design that was already so large and slow their cannons could easily hit it (not to mention destroy it in one or two hits), is anything but a "Death Trap" for us?

Who said Bane will take an hour to become explosive again? Definitely not the design.

Hmm :/

This is a hard decision. I think I'm going to trust in air power, though, and hope that the pessimistic projections prove to be just that, pessimistic. Sorry, explosives. If the Phoenix turns out to be useless we'll do you next turn.

if we screw this turn up (and I believe the Phoenix will) we may not come back from it. The enemy is at our gates. We cannot afford to go for something like this.

@Happery: I would love to have rail guns, but I'm struggling to get the support needed to counter the bad idea that is currently winning.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: July 15, 2017, 05:23:05 am »

Quote from: Designs
Bane - Magical Explosive : (4) Taricus, Kashyyk,khang36, SMMI
Lightning Rifle :
Lightning Cannon : (1) Happerry
Angel Wings :
Storm Elementals :
Hariq al-Siyni (Chinese Fire) :
al-Tawrbinat's Wind Machine: (0)
Phoenix (Airship with flamethrowers): (4) NUKE9.13, detoxicated, Madman198237, AC
Adamantine Plate Armor: 
Storm Elementals (Soul Transposal) :

Yall are fortunate that I think that without Adamantium Improvements I don't think this will work out, and the Phoenix hasn't been paired with a "And we'll spend a revision getting Cannon Proof Adamantium" thing.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: July 15, 2017, 08:14:56 am »

Coin flip in an hour.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: July 15, 2017, 08:55:47 am »

Guys, I point out the following:

By being covered in enchantments, the Phoenix gains much greater lifting power. By having tons of the scroll thrusters, it gains MORE lifting power and LOTS of maneuverability. The design has enough armor to not die to Arstotzkan shells very quickly (As stated in the design), and is built to fly over after we suppress them with antimagic. That or it'll just turn out that the things are tough enough to survive anyway. Regardless, the point is that it won't necessarily be a frontline attacker, yet it is BUILT to do just that if necessary. Yes, we'll lose some. We always lose some. However, the ability to turn off and then burn down their artillery is too good a chance to pass up. Not to mention that we then go burn down the rest of their army in the field.

Now, I'll be fair. I was being a little exaggerative when I said Bane would take an hour to change forms. I base that off of Adamantine's temperature control, which takes something like an hour to take effect. An hour of constant casting. Now maybe Bane will do better, however I believe it makes more sense to just go fully mundane. Armies have been shipping high explosives for hundreds of years, and it's rare that it has caused extreme damage to, well, anything.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:35 am »

Phoenix wins!  Votes locked.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: July 15, 2017, 11:10:23 am »

Design: Phoenix [6, 2, 6]

It's fucking glorious.

Designed from scratch rather than relying on our out-dated ship designs (because honestly, flying is really nothing at all like sailing), the "Phoenix" is primarily a giant oblong tank of chilled Adamantium.  This tank is filled to the brim with Alnnar, making the construction monstrously heavy.  A turret on the bottom of the ship is the most complex component and takes the majority of the year to perfect; we have little experience with complex machinery, so it's rather low-tech.  A set of rungs leads from the top of the ship to the scroll, where an Apprentice will sit next to it.  The Apprentice controls the angle, direction, and flow of the WPAS, whether the WPAS is active.  This system is used to spew the Alnnar from the tank above onto targets below.  The turret is controlled by a pair of rather crude hand-cranks to control rotation and angle, and the station is mostly open with a few bars to prevent the Apprentice from falling out.  The tank rests on a set of giant skids, leaving just a small amount of ground clearance for the turret when grounded.  Care must be taken when landing to prevent hitting to hard and breaking the skids, as it will damage the station and likely cause a leak.

The tank is made of an Adamantium skeleton with giant Adamantium plates bolted on.  There are four armored scroll "clusters", which are two dozen WPAS's each.  These are spaced even around the sides of the tank, and each must be attended to by a pair of Wizards (as controlling so many at a time is beyond what an Apprentice would be capable of).  The angle at which the scrolls can be pointed can vary by up to ten degrees, but they are primarily pointed downward to generate the incredible lift required to get the enormously heavy craft off the ground.  The craft requires all four to be operational in order to lift, and if one "lift engine" were lost then the entire craft would go crashing to the ground.  We elected not to enchant the entire craft, as the extra work would have provided very little gain for the amount of work going into it; the WPAS are more efficient.

A small "command" station at the fore end of the craft gives the captain of the Phoenix a wide viewing angle of the battlefield below.  A set of Teletalk wands at the command station communicate with the turret and each of the engine clusters, to allow the captain to easily give orders.

Early tests show that lighting the Alnnar early means the craft must be very low to reach the ground, and billowing black clouds of smoke will wash up over the craft and asphyxiate the crew.  The crew instead sprays Alnnar on the ground below until the target area is sufficiently soaked, then moves away.  A stash of Wands of Thunderbolts in the turret allows the gunner to ignite the ground below from a safe distance.

There are no obvious bugs, but the Phoenix is inherently a giant floating bomb that moves very slowly, meaning it is a target for enemy artillery much in the way our previous airships were.  It does not have enough lift to get up over their range, nor is it fast enough to dodge incoming shots, nor is our Antichronic Reverbramancy good enough to detect incoming fields of fire.  The armor is thick enough to withstand HAC-1's at Medium Range.

Despite my better judgement, the Phoenix is merely Very Expensive.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:49:30 am by evictedSaint »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: July 15, 2017, 11:22:11 am »

Oh jeez.  All those bugs were exactly what I warned about,  and we got them on a six.  This thing is barely usable and we ruled above average.

I'm gonna have to think for a bit before I suggest how we fix this.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: July 15, 2017, 11:25:44 am »

We're discussing this in Discord. It's so much different from the proposal that it seems very wrong.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: July 15, 2017, 11:35:35 am »

We're discussing this in Discord. It's so much different from the proposal that it seems very wrong.
I'm arguing that the differences are mostly bonuses that we got for rolling a six. I mean, we got a whole new hull shape. We got an aimable turret (which Madman has since managed to argue off of the design, great job).

Also, yeah, I dun goofed. I considered that this might happen. I hoped it wouldn't. Optimism and Madman got to me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:38:28 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:09 am »

Seriously, a close quarters combat Airship. Storm Elementals would have worked better, which is what I'll meme forever on out.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: July 15, 2017, 11:53:35 am »

And again: My fault because we rolled sixes and got an entirely different design with fundamental flaws?

Anyway, the slow-boat was something I considered, and it's solved, quite handily, with a revision to add Skyskiff-based antimagic. You fly Skyskiffs through the artillery (Something that they are VERY good at) deploy antimagic, the Phoenixes come over, burn everything to the ground, and then you work on the infantry.

Anyway, speaking of revisions:

Staff of Tubikh Rrahim What's-His-Name-The-Martyr of Slight Changes
We already control the magical "void" produced by the Staves. So, with a little further adaptation the spell can be changed so that it the void starts a minimum distance away from the caster in any given direction. Said distance is the length of a Skyskiff plus two meters. For safety, since we're so VERY concerned with it. We will, of course, keep around the old version for next year when Myark's back just in case, but the new version is to be built specifically for deployment with Skyskiffs.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:59:59 am by Madman198237 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: July 15, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »

Madman for Blood Eagle 2017.

Anyway, yeah. We should be able to deploy antimagic from our Skyskiffs, right? Surely.

Quote from: Votes for revision one
Staff of Tubikh Rrahim Slight Changes: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: July 15, 2017, 12:10:20 pm »

Quote from: Votes for revision one
Staff of Tubikh Rrahim Slight Changes: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman198237

You can't Blood Eagle me til next year, eS was already this year's Arms Race Victim of Cruel and Unusually Well-Thought-Out Corporal Punishment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: July 16, 2017, 04:12:55 am »

I don't recall eS saying that our anti-magic worked on their cannons. Last I recall, they'd managed to make everything anti-magic proof. f you have a quote to the contrary, I'll put my vote behind it though.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 217