Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199333 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1035 on: April 28, 2017, 03:25:53 am »

And, as I've said before, if a mage is covering himself with an anti-magic field he doesn't need the spell, and so like before your point is pointless.

We don't know that.

The arrows which incapacitate our casters are the explosive ones.  If antimagic reliably trumps those, we don't need sustained gale shield, as our antimagic spell can protect many casters.

If antimagic does not protect them, neither will sustained gale shield, as the gale shield is a bigger target than the pavise shield, and an explosion that can incapacitate through a shield and two feet of air can incapacitate through two feet of air alone.

Where's the hole in the logic here?  It sounds like the right choice is to not vote for either sustained gale shield or ranged gale shield on our casters, as they won't need it.  If the mages won't need it, then ranged is strictly better because it can protect non-casters much better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:36:28 am by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 28, 2017, 03:31:02 am »

And, as I've said before, if a mage is covering himself with an anti-magic field he doesn't need the spell, and so like before your point is pointless.

We.. don't.. know.. that.
Yes we do?

[Curiously enough, the Staff doesn't cause the arrows to explode.
Directly from the last turn post. Using the Anti-Magic spell doesn't cause them to explode. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not suppressing the magic explosions, but either way, no explosions means no holes in the shield, which means they might as well just be using normal arrows against the anti-magic casters.

Also directly from the last turn post...
Our mages can't even cast Gust of Wind or Lucky Strike as their snipers are continuing to use their explosive arrows against us. 
It's all our support mages who don't use the anti-magic field that are being murdered by the arrows, and they can damn well spare a moment from casting lucky strike to reset their defenses if something goes wrong and they get touched by our anti-magic field for a few moments.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 28, 2017, 03:38:38 am »

It's all our support mages who don't use the anti-magic field that are being murdered by the arrows, and they can damn well spare a moment from casting lucky strike to reset their defenses if something goes wrong and they get touched by our anti-magic field for a few moments.

Last turn we couldn't cover those mages with an antimagic field and still let them cast.  This turn we can.  If that's enough, we don't need gale shield cast on them, as they have pavises for non-magical arrows.  If it isn't enough, then gale shield won't help, as explosions can hit the gale instead of the pavise shield.

If our casters don't need gale shield, (and I don't see why they would, if they are protected against explosive and normal arrows), then ranged is strictly better as it can be used to protect non-casters.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:47 am »

If we just want ranged firepower, we should probably try revising cheaper/less likely to self destruct Ballista so we can snipe all/more of their mages and officers from way out of the enemy's range.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 28, 2017, 03:44:55 am »

I think that was about fourth on my list.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:56 am »

Well, I'd be willing to switch to that.

Make Gust of wind more powerful [1]: S34N1C
Better Troop Lamellar [1]: Mardent23.
Detect Snipers [1]: NUKE9.13
Quickened Tubikh Rrahim [3]: Kashyyk, Taricus, Devastator
Make a Ballista design that does not self destruct when used [1]: Happerry
Forenia Forever!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:11 am »

Sure, but I just want this to be over.  Move me over if that vote will switch the decision from Quickened Antimagic.  Don't create another tie.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 28, 2017, 03:59:03 am »

Fine. If we think our mages have enough protection with cheaper shields, then I guess I could go for better ballistae. I think Tubikh Rrahim is good enough as-is.

Make a Ballista design that does not self destruct when used [2]: Happerry, NUKE9.13

Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:11 am »

The sheilds aren't going to protect the mages; as evicted said they get holes blown in them and half of that would be the reason our mages are being incapacitated.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:34 am »

I think we should spend our expense chit on either the Ballista or the armour.

Ballista would be better to spend it on I think, because having more of them will counteract them being unreliable.

Revise
Make a Ballista design that does not self destruct when used [2]: Happerry, NUKE9.13

Expense Credit
Ballista [1]: Kashyyk

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 28, 2017, 06:19:24 am »

The armour is the first priority, with it we can assault the mountain fortresses and drive up the cost of ALL their armour. Let's see how they like having only a third of their army armoured.

Otherwise, if we're going to do the expense credit on the ballistas, we'll still need to revise them not to break.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 28, 2017, 06:45:14 am »

The shields aren't going to protect the mages; as evicted said they get holes blown in them and half of that would be the reason our mages are being incapacitated.
Well we have to do something to protect our mages. I refuse to just ignore the problem of our mages getting sniped. That's one of our main problems at the moment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 28, 2017, 06:50:00 am »

They aren't being sniped lethally and apart from the cyclone shield being sustained I can't see any way we can actually protect their eyes as well as their hands. More to the point our anti-magic does not trigger the explosive arrows and allows us to do our own, and more effective, mage sniping.

Besides, those snipers can't really hit. Just mount our mages not casting anti-magic on a horse and we're fine. Good luck hitting a moving target Arstotzka :D

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 28, 2017, 06:58:37 am »

So I went back and re-read the combat report. Apparently selective anti-magic should be enough to counter their exploding arrows. So okay, I guess we're fine.

Still, cheaper shields would let us equip more of our soldiers with them, allowing us to, for example, approach their mountain forts without getting sniped to death. Whereas cheaper armour, whilst nice, is not as effective against arrows as shields are.

Alternatively, we can revise ballistae not to break, then cheapen them, to flood the battlefield with accurate, reliable siege weapons. Would also let us take down their fortifications in the mountains.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 28, 2017, 07:02:21 am »

Still, that could be something for next turn, minus the revision credit. Having a lot more uses of anti-magic will go a long way to completely nullifying their magic. And the armour will help morale as well as keeping the troops safe from harm.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 217