Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199350 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1005 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:09 am »

I don't think Cyclone shield will work either, because they have arrowheads that explode on exposure to magic.
Depends on how far away from the caster the Cyclone Shield is, but even if it is too close, we can combo it with the actual shield shields we have. However much damage the shrapnel might do to people, it should be a lot less threatening to our shields once we keep the arrow from lodging into the shield before it explodes.

And if the Cyclone Shield is farther away, well, it can explode all it wants without hurting us. It'd also make us a lot more resistant to normal arrow fire as well, which they still have superiority over us with.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 28, 2017, 01:36:37 am »

Hrm, so revise Cyclone shield to be cast as a barrier some distance away from our troops?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 28, 2017, 01:38:31 am »

We can't protect our mages any better with what we have!

We're also not going to get anything better if every time I suggest something that will do so it gets voted down!

Anyway, I'll take that as a no.

Changing vote to Ballista revisions.

As for Happerry, Cyclone Shield is not ranged.  It's just big enough to cover a mage and maybe one other person, or a mage and the horse he's riding.  And, like all our spells, a mage casting it can't cast another spell at the same time, so if it protects a mage, that mage can't actually do anything.

We also don't know when the snipers are going to attack to use it only when necessary.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 28, 2017, 01:39:36 am »

Hrm, so revise Cyclone shield to be cast as a barrier some distance away from our troops?

That's a better idea.  Knock some arrows out of the air, blow up the explosive ones on contact.

It would be even better if we could do it and know where the snipers are to set up the shield, but I'll take that.

You can count my vote for that if you write it up.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 28, 2017, 01:40:29 am »

There's one thing preventing me from doing that; would our own arrows go through it as well?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:27 am »

I'd doubt it, but it's too small to cover the whole battlefield anyway.  That would probably be at least one more revision.  Cast from a distance means a mage further back can cover a mage closer to the front, which should help us get some spells off.

Plus, well, our arrows don't work.  Except the ones with Lucky Strike on them.  I'm betting those will find a way through.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 28, 2017, 01:44:04 am »

As for Happerry, Cyclone Shield is not ranged.  It's just big enough to cover a mage and maybe one other person, or a mage and the horse he's riding.  And, like all our spells, a mage casting it can't cast another spell at the same time, so if it protects a mage, that mage can't actually do anything.
...Did you miss that my revision was to make it so that a mage did not have to sustain it, allowing them to cast it to counter enemy snipers and then go back to casting other spells?

And if it's big enough to cover a horse, then it's probably big enough to make their arrow bombs go off before they lodge themselves into the pavise shields, which should prevent them from blowing holes into said shields.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:29 am »

...Did you miss that my revision was to make it so that a mage did not have to sustain it, allowing them to cast it to counter enemy snipers and then go back to casting other spells?

And if it's big enough to cover a horse, then it's probably big enough to make their arrow bombs go off before they lodge themselves into the pavise shields, which should prevent them from blowing holes into said shields.

I did miss that, because as of now, your vote is to try to make an Unlucky Strike spell.

The cyclone shield would also make it so that the enemy explosive arrows don't need to hit mages to kill them.  So you'd shoot above the shield, and the explosion will trigger there, and hit the mage hiding below.

If cyclone shield is a must have, revise the shields to make a cyclone shield in front of them, so the arrow blows up in front of the shield, and doesn't blow up if the arrow misses the shield.  It might be harder than making it ranged, but I'm not sure about that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:51:45 am by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 28, 2017, 01:56:52 am »

We could also try Revising the Cyclone Shield so it doesn't have to be sustained any more, so our mages can cast it, therefor becoming immune/highly resistant to arrows, and then go cast the other spells.
For Reference then, here's my suggested Cyclone Shield Revision.
Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 28, 2017, 02:00:17 am »

Hmm... @Evicted is it the shrapnel of the arrow exploding that's the primary kill mechanism of the exploding arrow or is it just the explosive that does it?

The arrows arent terribly lethal.  The shrapnel shreds unarmored bits like eyes and fingers, incapacitating the mage.  When exploding after hitting a shield, they blow a hole in it.  The shards are very hot, causing small fires in dry areas.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 28, 2017, 02:02:34 am »

Hmm.. so would a revision of our officer armor be likely to give sufficient protection against them?  With the big shields for the standard arrows?  We might be able to give coverage just by having our mages wear gloves, coveralls, and goggles.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 28, 2017, 02:05:28 am »

Well, the cyclone shield bit should be more than viable then; as long as it keeps the mages hands and eyes safe we're fine. Besides, we don't have the materials to make decent goggles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:49 am »

So ranged Cyclone Shield, then?  I don't want it to be sustained as I'm afraid it'll make it harder for an antimagic caster to put the spell back up if the antimagic gets out of control for a moment.  If it's someone far away, the antimagic user can keep the antimagic up while the other mage recasts it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 28, 2017, 02:08:18 am »

Bit disappointing that the design has that 'visible' flaw in it. Although, if I'm reading it right, the caster can arbitrarily reshape the are of effect?

I agree that we need something to (further) increase the survivability of our mages. Cheaper shields will help, but we could always use more.
I actually like the idea of Detect Snipers. It should be a fairly simple change to Detect Ambush, and a sniper whose position you know is, like, 10% as effective.

Some people have changed their votes, but they did not use the method that the GM has, in an increasingly exasperated manner, asked us to use.

Quote from: Vote like this, plz
Make Gust of wind more powerful [2]: Taricus, S34N1C
Better Troop Lamellar [1]: Mardent23.
Detect Snipers [2]: Devastator, NUKE9.13
Make an Unlucky Strike spell by reversing the Lucky Strike spell [1]: Happerry
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 28, 2017, 02:10:57 am »

I was waiting for something to get two votes, or one of the people who voted for the current leader, Gust of Wind, to change votes to post that.  Sorry.

I'll still agree to change to ranged cyclone shields or ballista revisions if you write it up, Taricus.  I -do- like Detect Snipers a lot better, as not only that, if they have the explosive arrows, someone knows where they are, casts Gust, and blow up the snipers with the ripple of magic that causes the wind.  But I'll go with ranged cyclone or ballista revisions to not go back on my word.

That said.. I'm only here for about an hour and a half more.  If nothing else is written up or bolded, I'm sticking with Detect Snipers, as that's the only effective thing that'll block Gust of Wind, which is still explicitly useless.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:16:10 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 217