Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188853 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 916 [Moskurg]
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2017, 05:34:23 pm »

I don't understand why our wind/weather magic has made no impact on the oceanic front. Could someone explain that to me? I feel like we should be able to propel our ships better, and therefor gain an advantage, as well as blowing their ships off course, making the seas rougher for them, and that kind of thing.

Going to leave future decisions on this to ES, but mostly for balance reasons I left it so that unless you designed something specifically to work at sea, it took a revision to adapt it to sea use.  That was my rationale, but ES is completely okay to change that.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:46 pm »

Alright. Thanks for answering.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2017, 06:43:02 pm »

I will not be retroactively applying a bonus to ships, no.  Sorry guys; I would likely have given the bonus initially, but in the interest of maintaining impartial I won't be modifying things that have already been developed/occured.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:00 pm »

Thermal Winds: By taking advantage of warm/cold air currents, we unlock the ability to affect the temperature in an area. This would help make the northern taiga a little more homey for our troops, as well as make enemy troops extremely uncomfortable in most other stages.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2017, 03:44:36 am »

Thermal Winds: By taking advantage of warm/cold air currents, we unlock the ability to affect the temperature in an area. This would help make the northern taiga a little more homey for our troops, as well as make enemy troops extremely uncomfortable in most other stages.
I like this idea- it would improve our chances in every theatre- but I think we should leave it till next turn. At the moment their troops just outmatch ours- we need something to even the mundane odds. And that something is more horses. Seriously, you think plate armour is a potent force modifier? Horses are like medieval tanks. See: every steppe nomad invasion ever (Huns, Mongols, Turks, Manchu, etc.)
Long Live United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #350 on: March 30, 2017, 07:17:05 am »

Eh, tis a fair point.
+1 horse breeding

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:47 am »

As the Arstotzkans seem to be focusing entirely on setting things on fire, I think we ought to at least consider Protection from Fire. They've got a Wand and three spells focused on this (I'm gonna guess at least three designs and revisions), so even if we spend two whole turns on making it effective, we'd have invalidated more of their turns.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2017, 08:15:12 am »

As the Arstotzkans seem to be focusing entirely on setting things on fire, I think we ought to at least consider Protection from Fire. They've got a Wand and three spells focused on this (I'm gonna guess at least three designs and revisions), so even if we spend two whole turns on making it effective, we'd have invalidated more of their turns.
Hmm, I guess. But that would involve branching out into a new sphere of magic. And I'm not sure we could develop immunity from fire, so we wouldn't even be fully negating their spells.
Besides, their latest developments (armour and lances) have little to do with fire.

I'd rather try to increase our capabilities than counter theirs; it's better to be proactive rather than reactive.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 30, 2017, 08:19:35 am »

Hmm, I guess. But that would involve branching out into a new sphere of magic. And I'm not sure we could develop immunity from fire, so we wouldn't even be fully negating their spells.
Besides, their latest developments (armour and lances) have little to do with fire.

I'd rather try to increase our capabilities than counter theirs; it's better to be proactive rather than reactive.
That Depends, since All their combat magic is fire based, with some work we can Counter all of their combat spells in one push, Specifically with enough rain their fire spells would be sevearly hampered, and seeing as how we already have Storm and Wind Spells, Anyone up for causing hurricane Moskurg?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2017, 09:00:14 am »

That Depends, since All their combat magic is fire based, with some work we can Counter all of their combat spells in one push, Specifically with enough rain their fire spells would be sevearly hampered, and seeing as how we already have Storm and Wind Spells, Anyone up for causing hurricane Moskurg?
It was mentioned in regards to their firewalls that rain does not extinguish them. Unfortunately.
I thought we were being real clever by developing weather magic, but it seems like most of the benefits were considered OP. No naval bonus, no mud vs heavy infantry bonus, no fire-extinguishing bonus.
...eh, I shouldn't complain. Maybe with a revision we could make it rain harder, overwhelming even magical fire.

But we can do that later, after we've improved our ground troops. Neither side's magic is powerful enough to stand alone. Their fireballs serve a supporting role to their heavy infantry. Teletalk would be useless without the troops to coordinate. And at the moment, their footsoldiers heavily outclass ours. We can get back to increasing our magic support power after we've at the very least narrowed the gap between our mundane forces.
By making horses cheaper.This message paid for by the United Horse Breeders of Moskurg

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2017, 10:14:46 am »

It seems like the Horse Breeding Program is the concensus for this design phase. Is that correct?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2017, 10:16:14 am »

It seems like the Horse Breeding Program is the concensus for this design phase. Is that correct?
Yep.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2017, 12:00:02 pm »

Horse Breeding Program: [6-1, 3, 6-1]
With the plains now firmly in our control, we can begin using them to further our supply of horses.  Raising Moskurg calvery has traditionally been limited to the greener areas of our desert, where water and grass can be found in large enough supply to keep the beasts alive.  This has naturally produced quick, inexhaustable horses that give us the edge in skirmishes.  Now that we have pasturable land we can begin raising larger herds in earnest.  The beasts have taken to the land quite well, and with enough water and feed to go around they've grown into a sizable herd.  The only problem is that although they're as strong as their forefathers, being raised in the temperate lands to the east means they're not acclimated to the desert sands of their homelands.  While they can still be used there, it's likely they wont perform as well as their pure Moskurg-desert cousins. Expensive: Calvary is now Normal Cost everywhere except Desert (still Expensive)

It is now Revision Phase.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 30, 2017, 12:06:32 pm »

Flawless! Except for that one flaw! But apart from that, flawless!

Now, to take advantage of our plentiful cavalry, we need to develop

Lances: By modifying the humble spear, making it longer and pointier, we create a weapon that can only effectively be used from horseback- a mechanism by which the entire force of a charging horse can be focused on a single point. By outfitting our plentiful cavalry with these weapons, we give them potent armour-piercing capabilities.

We can use captured Arstotzkan equipment to help us design these. The magical crystals they put on the end, we may need to leave out. But the basic design we can hopefully copy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 30, 2017, 12:08:09 pm »

Seeing as we don't intend for them to ever enter the desert, I think that's perfectly acceptable.

As we've gone for the horses, it's only appropriate to revise lances now.

Another thought: Instead of designing a protection from fire spell, which people have suggested would be difficult to perfect, how about just Counter spell? See a spell, blast it with anti-magic and watch it disappear. Should clear away their flame walls and possibly be of use against long range fireballs too.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:13:49 pm by Kashyyk »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 217