Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43874 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #450 on: September 17, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »

Besides, you guys can try killing one another IC now so save the energy for that :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 17, 2017, 08:50:55 pm »

Seriously though, if any of you are considering betraying our Sultan and/or King, stop that. Glory to Forenia, death to the traitors!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:13 am »

So, okay, I've been reading Arstotzka's thread.

And, uh... wow. I... how do I put this politely... applaud your enthusiasm. I thought I was being excessive whenever I used more than two paragraphs to describe a design.

Also, you really weren't kidding about the internal salt.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 18, 2017, 02:55:40 pm »

Wait, so you didn't have multi-paragraph treatises on why a proposed design was the best, outlining its various features and its pros and cons compared to the other current proposals? Is there some other way?

But, yeah, in seriousness, I'm kind of impressed by how the two threads developed very different cultures by the end. It makes me wonder what it would be like if we did a game where the two sides start out with no baseline culture and just stone age equipment, and worked our way up from there. Probably it would also be good if there was some reason to advance non-magical equipment besides anti-magic and/or lack of enough mages.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 18, 2017, 03:11:11 pm »

Why waste time wibbling about how things work when we could just write in some prayers to God and be done with it? Glorious Moskurg laziness wins the day!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2017, 03:53:03 pm »

The cultures grew further apart as time went on, yeah. Although, Moskurg's religious fanaticism goes all the way back to the very start, from the initial description of al-Mutriqa:
Some propaganda, then:

al-Mutriqa (The Hammer) is a pious man, driven by a single vision; to bring the Light of God to the heathen Arstotzkans. And he truly, in his heart of hearts, believes that the best way to do this is to crush their heads until they convert. He is an accomplished warrior, well-read scholar, master poet, and wizard extraordinaire.
He did not set out to become a wizard; he simply read the Spellbook out of idle curiosity, hoping to perhaps find some inspiration for a new poem. Yet what he read turned some switch in his brain, and he saw in those ancient pages another aspect of his God; a new way to praise His name and do His deeds. He wrote his poem, in the end, and several more. But these poems were also treatises on the nature of magic, and attempts to combine elements of the faith with it.
al-Mutriqa wears fine scalemail armour ((If wizards can wear armour in this setting)) beneath his flowing robes, which are opulently dyed in yellow, red, and purple. A helmet is worn beneath his turban. In one hand he holds a mace, in the other an open spellbook. When he casts he is surrounded by a glowing light, which he claims is the Light of God made manifest through his devotion.
As a poet and a scholar, he is considered a paragon by the nobles of Moskurg, who gladly follow him into battle. As a warrior and a man of the faith, he is considered a hero by the common soldiers, who fight twice as hard at the sight of his banner fluttering in the wind.

Speaking of which, round of applause for the two master wizards, yeah? They've been at it for almost forty years non-stop (well, they got a few years rest whilst recovering from duels with each other). They really managed to become fully-fledged characters, over the years.

Say, whose idea was mathemagics, anyway?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2017, 04:01:44 pm »

I think an NPC actually started investigating the math behind magic, which led me to coin the term "mathemagics".

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »

We invented calculus when working on anti-magic charms and found it to be extremely useful for the science behind magic, but deemed it useless for non-magical efforts. Roboson coined "Mathemagics" to refer to it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2017, 04:27:03 pm »

We invented calculus around 800 years early. We invented the steam engine, modern artillery, and AC. You may have won the war, but we've won at life.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 18, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »

We invented aircraft and coilguns.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 18, 2017, 04:40:33 pm »

Dont forget lightbulbs.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41:51 pm »

Kind of impressive how you managed all that without the basic understanding of the mathematics behind it...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2017, 04:42:53 pm »

We invented calculus around 800 years early. We invented the steam engine, modern artillery, and AC. You may have won the war, but we've won at life.
Frankly, I think your most important invention was your crop-growing spell. Your average 10th century peasant would trade everything else invented in the entire war for that one innovation.

...which is to say, foolish Arstotzkan, even if you say you have won at life, Moskurg has won at the afterlife- an infinitely greater prize! Aleizat lilah!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »

Somebody REALLY should've pushed for a healing spell.

It never occurred to me to propose something, which is kind of silly. Priests are a healing archetype, after all. We should've gotten at LEAST a +3, right?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 18, 2017, 04:47:41 pm »

Eh, I was considering pushing that way as an expansion of our biomancy, but we were already heading down the path of magitech...
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36