Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43882 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2017, 09:21:01 am »

It's a fine complaint, Chief. You delivered it EXACTLY as you should have, and have outright committed yourself to not starting/helping some idiot start a flame war.

Now, I shall disprove you entirely MWAHAHAHAHAHAA *cough* ah. Ahem.

I'm going to admit it right now: Our lightning has a component that makes it explode and also gives us EXTREMELY precise control over it. It's taken us about twenty designs and revisions, but our lightning is basically the end-all be-all for shooting down things made of crystal and/or other shatter-able materials. It doesn't matter if you can survive one hit, or two, or three, because the Hammer of Allah sends lightning bolts down in an unending curtain of destruction. Trust me, I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not sure that you have the full measure of our abilities and it's not your fault. Exactly what we had done to our lightning wasn't quite clear in the turn report.

This game was great fun. What do you Arstotzkans think, you guys going to make it out of this turn alive?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2017, 10:24:03 am »

I will consider your complaint and come to a decision by the end of the day.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »

evictedSaint, there is another issue. Instead of doing the Aerophobic Crystal Revision as was voted upon, you instead did Aerodynamic Shells. I brought this issue up to you in the Arstotzka thread but you did not respond.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »

I did the revision as described by the proposal, as others in the thread explained.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2017, 04:24:16 pm »

I did the revision as described by the proposal, as others in the thread explained.

I do not recall this explanation. I was under the impression most of us were waiting for you to explain how you confused phobic with dynamic and changed the wording of the title.

Of course, this could be my reading comprehension failing me. Care to provide an Arztotzkan eyes only link?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 07, 2017, 02:37:46 am »

I have heard it said that there are not to be any hard counters in the game. I believe that many hard counters persist from prior to this stance, perhaps we should make lists and consider alternative interpretations that would be less hard-countery?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 07, 2017, 02:55:43 am »

I do not recall this explanation. I was under the impression most of us were waiting for you to explain how you confused phobic with dynamic and changed the wording of the title.

Of course, this could be my reading comprehension failing me. Care to provide an Arztotzkan eyes only link?
Revision: Aerophobic Crystal: Revise our crystal production so that we can reduce the air resistance of crystal down to the point where Moskurg's wind magic will not be able to significantly affect our artillery shells.
Revision: Aerophobic Shells

[...] our Mathemagicians have derived the best aerodynamic shapes for our artillery, rifle, and cannon shells.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:07:35 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 07, 2017, 03:22:08 am »

I believe that the intent was to produce something that, due to the nature of its surface, actively repels air to some extent.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 07, 2017, 03:24:11 am »

I believe that the intent was to produce something that, due to the nature of its surface, actively repels air to some extent.
More so that it slid off it, moving past it without grabbing onto it and producing friction, thus being aerophobic and decreasing air resistance despite no changes to size or shape.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 07, 2017, 10:18:12 am »

More so that it slid off it, moving past it without grabbing onto it and producing friction, thus being aerophobic and decreasing air resistance despite no changes to size or shape.

Err, I was looking for the clarification from eS, since he said the issue had already been described and resolved by others.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:34 am »

Honestly, I think the shells thing is kinda on us. What we got was a reasonable interpretation of the plan. We should have been more precise in the description.

I do agree with CWs complaint though. Cheap lightning would definitely overcome a slight range increase.

Also, the last several battles with myrak had no mention of the wand of true light. While NE, it effects the entire theater instead of just personal combat. Does Myrak have no effect if he loses the dule? This is more a question than a complaint.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 08, 2017, 10:27:45 pm »

Probably no effect---after all, he's unconscious/semiconscious/being evacuated from the field, so he's probably not holding up his Wand of Copying Moskurg While Trying To Look Like You're Not Copying Moskurg. He's too busy bleeding.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 08, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »

Probably no effect---after all, he's unconscious/semiconscious/being evacuated from the field, so he's probably not holding up his Wand of Copying Moskurg While Trying To Look Like You're Not Copying Moskurg. He's too busy bleeding.
For your information, the primary purpose of the Wand of True Light was supposed to be something else. Its current function was just supposed to be one of several other secondary functions.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 08, 2017, 11:01:34 pm »

It's a shame it's completely useless, though.
But hey, I guess some things just don't work.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 09, 2017, 10:24:41 pm »

After reading over your complaint, the combat report, and design/revision reports, I've come to a conclusion.

Moskurg has slightly better artillery and a more manueverable/flexible airforce, able to isolate lone Arstotzkan Lightnings and use their elecricity to bring them down.  Lightnings often can't get out of trouble fast enough, as their acceleration is too slow to evade incoming Skyskiffs once the gap has been closed. Shot-for-shot Skyskiffs are more lethal, though Lightnings have a longer range.  They are equal in number and about equal in power, though Moskurgs Anti-Air capabilities (Hammer and Spear of Allah) give them an edge.  It's true that Lightnings are now a level cheaper, but Moskurg has since gained another range on their weapons and increased the lethality of them in the same time.

Moskurg has been making good use of their longer-range artillery, blindly bracketing areas of Arztotzkan influence.  At the same range they're about the same, though Moskurg has artillery platforms in the sky with a commanding view of the battlefield (something Arstotzka lacks, and should not be readily discounted).  These platforms suffer from Arstotzkas growing influence in the sky, but they are still present, a threat, and a decisive factor in combat.

Ground combat has been pretty strongly in favor of Arstotzka for a while now, with their better armor, their anti-armor R1 hybrid rifles, and bonuses to cold-weather and rough terrain.  I'll admit that I have likely discounted their role in favor of the heavier weapons that have begun to dominate combat, and I will take it into consideration in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36