Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)  (Read 48181 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2017, 10:07:57 pm »

Why not move the asteroid's impact really really far in the future (Graham's Number years away?) to ensure that the universe won't end before then (because if the earth and asteroid are gone, then they couldn't collide).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2017, 10:25:19 pm »

I assume that because the asteroid is fated to collide with earth, you can only pick a date at which the earth will still exist. If you can move the collision farther back while keeping that fate... uh, eternal Earth I guess?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2017, 10:27:56 pm »

You know, with everyone else I know, "Singularity" means (well other than a black hole, which is more common of course) "robots become superintelligent and take over the world and probably destroy humanity".

So with that in mind I'd definitely move it closer and put off this whole "curing cancer" business until after the robots cure cancer by exterminating all life.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:29:31 pm by Maximum Spin »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2017, 10:46:22 pm »

Another solution:

Move the asteroid to the past. If it already had a 20% chance to hit the earth but you're still around, obviously it missed.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2017, 02:33:12 pm »

New hypothetical.

In one month, every human on the planet capable of conscious thought, above the age of 13, and below the age of 80 will immediately want to kill you, and will become willing to do whatever is necessary in order to kill you, short of using nuclear weapons. Every human affected by this will value killing you higher than everything else, including their own life. This madness will fade in one month after it starts.

Your advantages:
Your learning speed will be overclocked for the month before the madness. To be precise, your learning speed will be fifty times what it normally is.
Your body will be restored to a pristine state the day the madness begins, and this will occur again every Sunday.
You may select three supernatural abilities from the below list which you will have for the duration of the month of madness.
-Invisibility. You may turn yourself and everything you touch invisible for up to an hour. Cooldown for use is equal to the amount of time you used the ability.
-Dopplegangers. Once per day, you may create 3 copies of yourself that follow your orders which will last for the next 6 hours. They are indistinguishable from you in appearance, possess all of your skills, but do not possess any of your powers. When one of them is killed, you will remember everything that clone experienced.
-Possession. Once per day, you may possess a person, taking full control over their body for up to 6 hours. When you leave their body, their memories of the time in which they were possessed will be wiped. If the person you are possessing is killed, you will be expelled from their body but will not be killed yourself.
-Teleportation. Once per week, you may touch a photograph and instantly teleport yourself to wherever it was taken.
-Reload. Once per day, if you would die, your mind is sent back in time into your body as of the last time you awoke from sleep. Ability cooldowns remain in effect when this triggers.
-Sanity. Once per day, you may free one person you touch from the madness, and grant them a copy of any power you possess other than Sanity.
-Invulnerability. Once per day, you may become immune to all physical harm for 30 minutes.
-Resources. Once per three days, you may designate a container. 1000$ worth of objects will be created inside that container. You may write a "wish list" and put it inside the container before using this ability if you wish to exert more control over what you receive.
-Shapeshift. Once per day, you may take the physical form of a mammal you touch some part of for 6 hours. If that mammal wears clothes, your clothes will shift to become the clothes that mammal most recently wore until the hours end, if that mammal doesn't wear clothes, your clothes will vanish and then reappear on you when those six hours end.
-Shelter. Once per week, you may transform a door into an extradimensional portal leading to a safe haven that will last one day. At the end of that day, if you are still in the haven, you will be expelled from it. The haven cannot be accessed by people seeking to kill you.
-Network. Every member of Bay 12 and one other online forum of your choice is freed from the madness, and you may send and receive telepathic messages with them.

If you survive the month, you may choose one ability you had during the month to keep, and you may opt to restore to life any people you killed during the month.

If you want additional powers, you may choose an additional power in exchange for creating Huntsmen. For the duration of the month, 5 of the people seeking to kill you will become Huntsmen and have two special Hunter powers each, in addition to leadership talent, superhuman strength, speed, stamina, and senses.
-Direction: Once per two days the Hunter may learn what direction you are in.
-Pinpoint: Once per week the Hunter may learn your exact location in longitude and latitude coordinates.
-Unfoolable: Once per day the Hunter may enter a state in which they can see you even if you're invisible, determine if someone who appears to be you is a Doppleganger or not, know if someone they look at is Possessed, know if a creature they look at is you shapeshifted into that form, and know if someone is lying to them. This state lasts for 3 hours.
-Madness: Once per day the Hunter may undo the effect of Sanity or Network on a person they touch.
-Resurrection. Once per week, if the Hunter is killed, they will come back to life the next day.
-Sacrifice. If the Hunter touches you, they may sacrifice their own life instantly to permanently remove one of your powers and make your exact location known to all other Hunters.
-Hunt. Once per day, the Hunter can shapeshift into a carnivorous mammal of their choice for 3 hours, and shapeshift up to 7 other people other than you, within a radius of 100 feet of them, into that mammal as well for 3 hours as well.
-Bless. Once per three days, the Hunter can grant a non-Hunter one Hunter power of their choice, permanently. This can only be used once on a given person.
-Iron. Once per day, the Hunter can become immune to all physical harm for 1 hour.

What do?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »

This could very easily be a forum game.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »

Take every power, proceed with the awesome action movie antics.
Just a few powers with 1-day or longer cooldowns won't be enough, and 40 hunters isn't much on top of the entire population of earth.

If I somehow survive your insane deadly nightmare scenario I'd keep the Dopplegangers. Shelter is nice but has too long of a cooldown.

Oh! And for the additional forum given by Network I choose Facebook. Everyone I use Sanity on will be given Network and instructed to pick another forum maximizing for largest user base more than anything. Should be able to free a very sizable portion of people who use the internet that way.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »

Oh! And for the additional forum given by Network I choose Facebook.
Ha. Didn't think of that.

Everyone I use Sanity on will be given Network and instructed to pick another forum maximizing for largest user base more than anything.
Didn't think of that either.

Take every power, proceed with the awesome action movie antics.
Just a few powers with 1-day or longer cooldowns won't be enough, and 40 hunters isn't much on top of the entire population of earth.
And finally I didn't think of that either. Although my intention was that you could only take an additional power once. Not that it changes much for your Networking.

This could very easily be a forum game.
I'll think about it. If it does become a forum game, I'm removing Network, good grief.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 08, 2017, 08:10:05 pm »

I powergamed your game before it was a game! :P

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2017, 08:46:30 pm »

Shouldn't the solution look something like 'get a month's supply of water and oxygen, sink yourself into the ocean, teleport out on the last day'?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2017, 08:53:49 pm »

The militaries of the world, having become united in the cause of hunting you down, will surely begin searching and depth charging every inch of the ocean they suspect you of hiding in. Joined by both merchant and civilian vessels, in fact.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:12 pm »

every inch of the ocean they suspect you of hiding in.
Ah, there's the rub: No need to let them suspect anything. Fake your own death, teleport to prepared shipwreck somewhere.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2017, 09:48:15 pm »

If they're crazy enough to do everything else, they're crazy enough to assume you faked your death. And a shipwreck, really? That's an obvious target. If I were crazy and hunting you under the sea, blowing up all the known Imperial German shipwrecks would be literally the first thing I'd advise Hunt Leader Mike Pence to do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:00 pm »

Go to the ocean floor and kill the yeti crabs for food. With enough planning you could make a device that uses the thermal vents' energy to separate salt from the water and electrolyze the water to get oxygen. You could live in an under-seafloor bunker to avoid detection.

Also, with Urist's permission, I might make this into a forum game myself. I've never GMed before and I'm not sure if I'll have the time (or the motivation), but it's a possibility.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 09, 2017, 06:25:05 am »

The militaries of the world, having become united in the cause of hunting you down, will surely begin searching and depth charging every inch of the ocean they suspect you of hiding in. Joined by both merchant and civilian vessels, in fact.

This seems unlikely, considering that they only have a month to find you, and that the area of deep sea floor they have to search is about 300 million square kilometers, or well over half the surface area of earth. They never found MH370 after all, and while the search force wasnt "all the world's navies", the target area was also about a hundred times smaller, they had a rough idea of where the plane had gone, the target wasnt actively concealing itself from them, they knew what to look for, and had debris wash-ups to guess where it went down.

Plus, the whole world can't dedicate all its effort to searching the sea, because they can't be sure you're even in the sea as opposed to anywhere else on or below the earth. Plus I don't think depth charges exist that can be dropped the 2-4 kilometers that would be needed to hit you, nor are there enough depth charges to cover the whole ocean floor (around 1-300,000,000,000,000). Modern torpedoes have a crush depth of something like 8-1200 meters too so no firing torpedoes straight down.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38