Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233238 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile

ze healing leaves little time for ze hurting.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile

Gary, finally overwhelmed by his curiosity, heads North to where Dwain is.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile

stay still for healing
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile

(Back from travel!  Now I just have to do . . . you know, everything.  And part of this is planning the scope of the next update.)

Gary, finally overwhelmed by his curiosity, heads North to where Dwain is.

It looks like no one is deliberately pursuing the hit-and-runner, so when you head up you'll just meet Dwain (Starver) coming back.  So the overall movement is against you.  I need to be able to plan: do you think that you would forge upward into peril with or without him?

And Dwain: do you think that, I dunno, you'd turn right around and use Gary (Coolrune206) as a meatshield now that you know you're likely to bump into your fellow exile?

'Cause if both of you say "nope, I'm not that interested in heading up there" then the group vote swings toward leaving the conflict and the region behind.  And I can't change scenes like that if you people don't want it.

Also, haven't heard from Alyssa Alpine (Rautherdir) in awhile, not to mention Louis (dustywayfarer).

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile

nope, I'm not that interested in heading up there
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to resolve this episode (personally) but it could perhaps take more than two of us and I'm heading back to the full group to add to the collective knowledge, if not wisdom.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Sorry, I'm still around))

Guard in case of a more dedicated attack

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile

And so the main votes come down to "wait and see."  Barring any surprises (he he), this translates to "we're done being curious; we can leave."  So unless Louis (dustywayfarer) contradicts anything, I'll assume that I should wrap up stated actions (searching, healing) and try to send you out west.

I'd love to resolve this episode (personally) but it could perhaps take more than two of us and I'm heading back to the full group to add to the collective knowledge, if not wisdom.

I may comment on this later.  For now, I need to get my head around real-world stuff, then see about the long and complex bit I've got coming to you in the next update.  Back . . . sometime!

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 18 - Under the Skin
« Reply #2243 on: March 29, 2018, 04:53:59 pm »

Previous -- Next

I'm very pleased to reach this point!  I picked up the use of random encounters--where only 3 in 10 times would you find something worth slowing down your trek--to hurry things up between your main destinations.  Now you're departing from the last random bit and I can show you the stuff I've had waiting for months now.  The "stuff" is multiple subplots; I think I'll split this one into a double post, and updates in general may become lengthy for awhile . . .

Sneak, sneak, sneak . . . Tohil goes ahead to the west, keeping an eye out for more peril, but for now sees none.  Dwain turns back, quietly, to encounter Gary coming the other way; oh, and you brought a lantern up here, so anyone nearby would see the moving light.  Hrm.  Okay, neither of you is eager to fall for a potential-but-very-likely trap and so you descend.  Dwain thinks he hears something as you leave: a sigh?

Dustan tries to find worthwhile cuts to thread up among John's injuries, but nope.  You were "lucky" in that the falling rocks caused you a heap of painful bruising.  Seeing that nothing else is really happening, you snag the scaled turkey so the evening isn't a total waste, and everyone follows Tohil's lead to the west.

This does not appear to prompt a bandit rush.  You are on your own again, headed into the depths in the hopes of reaching civilization.

Spoiler: Camping overnight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Risk of rot (click to show/hide)

Most of the group appreciates the coming nightfall and time of rest, as injuries still remain from recent struggles.  It does mean some alarm: you're eating your last food.  There's just enough on the scaled turkey to round out your rations.

In the morning, you're awakened by a nasty smell.  Turns out you're not going to get any benefit out of that standing jellyfish hide, previously scraped clean of meat . . . and now gone to rot.  You leave it behind; at least the bones will still be good to sell, assuming you get to civilization soon.

. . . Civilization.  The more veteran among you think back to when you'd been told how to get anywhere in the underground, like when John was told about the salt mines run by one of the ruling families: apparently you "head to the mines" and hopefully you get there.  Or when you were told to reach the Hoarding Wastrel Camp by heading west . . . or east.  "Directions are weird down here."

Your route back to Rock Bottom was supposed to be westward, but you've been turned around a couple times.  As morning passes and you're still on the march, you can only hope to get somewhere that has more food.

Then the tunnel begins to slope up.  Then you feel fresh air.  Then you hear voices!

Day 18, Afternoon

You step into fresh air on the floor of this gigantic sinkhole.  This is a first-time experience for Gary, Louis and Tohil: at long last you have reached the town you spotted when first you were lowered into the depths.  It's downright thriving!  Here countless exiles have carved homes for themselves, with unique foods and crafts on display under the light of lanterns and glowstone fires.  Guards at the edge, like the ones you saw at the Halfway House, wield menacing battle axes to keep the people safe.

Apparently, the exile group that you joined has been here before; one day they headed back into the depths where they found you.  Yet here there is safety, security, society . . . why would anyone ever leave?!

"Newcomers," says one of the guards, snapping you out of your gawking.  "Looks like you've got a lot in those wheelbarrows.  If you're here to trade and to work, then you're welcome in Rock Bottom until tomorrow morning.  Don't bother anybody, don't stay overlong, and don't come back again until you've got more loot."

Ah.

(Second post incoming.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: March 29, 2018, 04:54:37 pm »

Previous -- Next

So you're in town now.  Obviously you'll want to sell stuff and pursue topics of individual interest.  This'll get complicated because of all them subplots I mentioned; just tell me what you want to do, and I'll introduce more details as you bump into them, like new items for sale beyond the ones currently listed in the opening posts.

Several noticing events occur in rapid succession.

Dustan and John notice Elena, the "prospector" person from the Svarog family, whom you have encountered on more than one occasion.  You understand she is also the daughter of Tikhomir and Militsa, the alchemists for whom you were bringing vials, vile or otherwise.  You notice that she is pushing a wheelbarrow you don't remember her having before.

Gary, Louis, and Tohil notice this woman as well.  In particular, Louis understands this as the person to whom you pitched an ungainly object of wood and metal across open space while descending into these caverns in the first place.

The woman notices Louis.  She smiles a practiced businessperson's smile.  She looks about to say something.

Then she notices John.  "You!" Elena says, a sharp change in her demeanor.  "You're the one bringing in all those pictures from the caverns, aren't you?!"

. . . Some of you will want to react to what just happened.  Some of you won't care and just want to make money.  I'd say not to strain yourself on money-math until we know what everyone's doing, since things could change.  Here's a review of how town life works:

I'll assume the group stays vaguely together, or at least within earshot, so you can respond to everyone else for the next few updates regardless of what you tell me now.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: March 29, 2018, 05:15:09 pm »

"Don't mind them, the settlement is something of a private town. Everyone that lives in it is related in some sort of extended family way." Dustan would explain to the newcommers of his party. He then gets side tracked by Elena shouting at his only remaining original teammate and scowl in annoyance. "What's the problem with cave sketches? They're just pictures, yeesh."
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 29, 2018, 05:49:13 pm »

"Yes any idea of what they are?" John then pulls a vial "We also have some of these vials for one of your family friends, the magical one. Do you know where he or she is?"
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: March 29, 2018, 07:49:03 pm »

"A whole town, underground?! This must be truly a miracle of God! A sign!"

Tohil is about to start praying to Sol, but is interrupted by the woman. He recognizes her as the woman from the scaffold and tries to be polite.

"Ah, hello. I am truly grateful for our exchange, the supllies were very useful and helped everyone survive. Except for Bob, he turned against us and died a coward's death."

"You could have just ran away with our wheelbarrow without fulfilling your part of the trade, as we wouldn't be able to reach you because of the chasm. But you still decided to give your backpack, and I respect that you actually kept your promise. Thank you, and may the Sun bless you and your family for generations."

Tohil does a bow to the lady and then raises his arms to the sky (or at least where the sky should be), calling for his god Sol.

"Umbasa! Praised be the incandescent Sol, and long may the sun shine in the sky!"

After uttering his blessing for the woman, Tohil regains his composture and continues talking.

"Forgive me if I was too intrusive. And now that I remember, have you heard of a person named Theia? I was told she was the one in charge of religion."

Talk to the fair lady, use my chivalrous manners and ask about who is she, what are the families that rule, how is religion underground, where can I get a holy symbol of my god made, who is Theia and if I could do something to return the favor she did to us.

Make sure to express my gratitude and how much I value trustworthy people that fulfill their promises.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:54:47 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:15 pm »

"We brought things for Theia, so if you could lead us to here that would be helpful."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:53:42 pm by Rautherdir »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 30, 2018, 08:43:42 am »

"Yes any idea of what they are?" John then pulls a vial "We also have some of these vials for one of your family friends, the magical one. Do you know where he or she is?"

By the way: if it impacts your actions any, your character is carrying two new images that no one in town has seen yet.  (Carvings "C" and "D" are new.)
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 173