Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233231 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile

"Nobody else hurt? Good, Then lets get ready to move. John, c'mere for a second."
Heal John, then get ready to move with the group as they see fit.
"Fine we should kill him... to protect other travelers of course, no because vengeance"

Go for the healing but have the sling out just in case

Ehhhhh . . . this has caused my brain problems in the past.  Does it really make sense to stitch up a wound in a single combat round?  I mean, if you want to say you'll just set off to one side and keep at this until done, however long it takes, then okay.  And I'll see if anyone else interrupts you.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile

Gary stays at the intersection, keeping watch to the South and West for a bandit ambush.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile

"Nobody else hurt? Good, Then lets get ready to move. John, c'mere for a second."
"Fine we should kill him... to protect other travelers of course, no because vengeance"

Ehhhhh . . . this has caused my brain problems in the past.  Does it really make sense to stitch up a wound in a single combat round?  I mean, if you want to say you'll just set off to one side and keep at this until done, however long it takes, then okay.  And I'll see if anyone else interrupts you.
I assumed that the retreat meant combat was over, but other than that yes. Get off to the side and patch him up unless interruptions show up.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile

I assumed that the retreat meant combat was over, but other than that yes. Get off to the side and patch him up unless interruptions show up.

I am fine wuth this.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(If everyone uses their ranged weapons we might be able to kill him. That means we get more gear and maybe even information regarding these bandits.)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, retreating and somewhat injured, no sign of the possible confederates retaliating, and a mystery.

If everyone else is happily dealing with things here, I'm going to try something. Hand signal to Tohil/whoever else to stay here (parting-shot Skull-Slinging excepted) and punctuate that by leaving my lantern here, while I try to keep pace with the bandit's retreating illumination. If I lose touch, head back with care, including that of Friendly Fire. (Also before I go on Arrowed exits, if that happens.) If he stops at a camp or stash or encounters others look a while, before heading back in the darkness.

There having already been a trap, though no idea yet if that was remotely activated or triggered by ourselves, look out for tripwires/etc and take the same route as I can observe the bandit uses, as much as possible.

(Kill first, ask questions later? Can't stop you, but I like my idea best. Discourage more clumping boots than necessary, also.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile

Previous -- Next

At this point, Alyssa Alpine (Rautherdir) and Louis (dustywayfarer) are on record with actions that would mostly mean reactions (i.e., stay out of melee and watch for more stuff), so I can probably update.  I'm about to travel, so finding the time to update in comfort could be variable.

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Tohil, the human bandit, Dwain.

Spoiler: And observation rolls (click to show/hide)

Turning tail and fleeing won't just undo what you've done!  Tohil sets a fire skull after the bandit, but it misses and you all see the puff of flame where it impacts a wall.  He ascends with redoubled speed up the far slope!

Dwain takes after him cautiously, trying to keep steady distance.  You see that the bandit had indeed picked up his lantern as he ran; and though there's a brief distracting burst of fire, you can follow his light with ease since you've set down your own.

Yyyyyup, you've only gone a few steps when you realize that his light has stopped moving.  Either the bandit, or his lantern alone, is stationary somewhere beyond the lip of the slope.  Concerned about traps, you look for loose shale or suspicious thread or anything, but you see no more than normal-seeming debris.

The remainder of the exiles are on guard or resting or both.  John seems to have had enough blood for now and accepts Dustan's offer of a quick stitch job.  Just have to find broken skin from that rockfall worth stitching . . .

My conundrum in depicting "slope arrows" continues.  From everyone's perspective, slopes in the north go up, so I drew up arrows.  From Dwain (Starver)'s perspective, you're standing at the top of one down slope, so for you I drew down arrows in addition.  It's all the same terrain as before.

And if time passes in this manner, I'll wrap up the thread-based healing in a future update.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Damn it! No bandit is stupid enough to go alone! We better pray for Sol that he doesn't return here with reinforcements!"

Prepare everything so we can move and continue as quickly as possible. Scout the area ahead (to the exit) to make sure there are no more bandits in hiding, but don't go too far.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:13:54 pm by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile

Looks fine to me, concidering you  have another set of arrows for travel last I checked. Or did you stop using those due to that one data loss event?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By my prior intent, I should really set eyes upon the bandit/lantern in this position of repose (meta: reading the observation rolls one way suggests I maybe should worry about doing this, but I shouldn't meta and I might be wrong-metaing anyway).

If the light isn't moving, I can try to crest the slope very slowly, including picking my route with care, choosing a non-obvious point to initially poke my head over/around, and pausing. to listen before I do.

(No issue with the graphics. It's me, splitting the party slightly, that forces you to do something like that. ;) )

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile

Go to the ex-trap and move the rocks maybe something of the chicken is still salvageable.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile

Looks fine to me, concidering you  have another set of arrows for travel last I checked. Or did you stop using those due to that one data loss event?

Still usin' 'em, since they're part of the default ASCII.  Image here:

Go to the ex-trap and move the rocks maybe something of the chicken is still salvageable.

I can do this, but I'll hold off on any thread-based healing until your character can stand still long enough.

It looks like the general push is to move on carefully, without escalating the encounter, in which case that will be fine.  We'll all have to see how Dwain (Starver) does and whether he brings on more trouble . . .

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile

Previous -- Next

So I know that I lack everybody once again, but it doesn't look like anybody's gonna do anything surprising or disruptive, so I'll post since I have the chance now.

No one wants this situation to turn uglier than it has.  There are quick checks of surroundings, and Dwain continues a very careful pursuit of the vanished assailant.

Meanwhile, John suspends the medical care long enough to unearth the scaled turkey.  It is freshly-killed and was, in fact, carved by human hands--the skin and bones are all still usable, plus a tiny bit of meat.  This could be helpful as you're just a little short on food for when you have to camp again soon.

And Dwain approaches the far slope, at which point you stop.  That debris atop the lip--it's stacked up in a pile.  It's just another trap waiting to fall on you!  And yes indeed, it's at a narrow point in the tunnel, so you could only ascend further by climbing up beneath it or splashing up the sloped stream.  You stop as soon as you realize this, and from your "safe" location you can't spot anybody up above it.  Perhaps you heard a shuffle of movement; perhaps you imagined it in the sound of water.

The remains of the scaled turkey are only 5 kg and easily stored.

To provide some context for the unlabeled observations rolls: as I've said before, oftentimes I'll roll for the same observation across all people in the party who are close enough to detect something, looking for the first person who succeeds.  But another thing about doing it this way is that I can sneak in observations rolls for your opponents without telling you.  Your choice to advance without something as obvious as a swaying lantern, Dwain (Starver), was probably the wisest thing to do here.

If you people want to make the scene more, shall we say, involved, then you can certainly do so.  If you want to move out from this section of tunnel, I'll probably need time to do real justice on the writing for what's next.  Either way, my travel means I'll continue to update intermittently.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:17:33 pm by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I'll go scout ahead to make sure no more bandits are planning to ambush us!"

Refill my waterskin on the water, but don't drink it unless it's needed. Go to the west exit and travel. Make multiple observation rolls while in the way to make sure there are no traps or bandits hidden in the shadows.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:24:42 pm by randomgenericusername »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discretion being the better part of valour, report back. I'm not splashing through the stream, alone.

Be quiet leaving, then be obviously me to the others in case there's friendly itchy trigger-fingers waiting for me.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 173