Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233308 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 16 - Hardworking Individuals
« Reply #2175 on: March 13, 2018, 09:10:22 am »

Previous -- Next

Indeed, those minerals are worth less, and the statement probably referred to minerals which happen to be present on this map.

For the value, it's a question of sheer commonality in the face of other materials that people prefer.  Hematite is everywhere, and people probably have all the iron equipment they want already.  But shininess?  People can make an exception for shininess.  A little.

So!

Slow and careful inspection reveals the back of the ant lemming nest, with the occasional wall riddled with holes but thankfully no significant new tunnels or chambers.  Dustan finds he easily has enough space to store the healthstone--though it does mean you have to touch the stuff.  You'll be drawing ugly associations to the smell of vanilla for awhile to come.

Tohil is on backup at this moment.  Dwain, likewise, but with an eye more toward wheelbarrows.

Louis and Gary get out picks and attempt to pass the time by way of mining shiny opal.  They're missing out on the real action, though: mushroom smashing.

Spoiler: Again? (click to show/hide)

John fails to destroy more mushrooms.  Just too rubbery, you guess.  Alyssa takes stock of inventory and everyone's location in case anybody wants to, you know, do something like get a move on.

I had multiple versions of how this encounter could play out, especially once I saw what you people wanted to do.  Ahh, the continuous act of discovery that is roleplaying!  And being on the internet.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:30 am »

Tohil points at the cracks in the walls.
"Do you think there could be more of them behind?"
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:52 am »

"it's possible, but at this point we have no way of checking without a splitter wand. Even if we did have one, it would be better spent mining the healthstone they have yet to touch. deny them the resources and starve whatever remained of the hive."
regroup with the others and prepare to roll out, unless some people change their mind about healthstone mining. Help mine healthstone first, then do the above in that case.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:08:37 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 13, 2018, 11:27:21 am »

Tohil takes a splitter wand out of his backpack.
"Well, I have some of those wands. It doesn't hurt to try, right? I don't think we have enough space in the wheelbarrows either, so we will leave at least some of the stones here."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:13:36 pm by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 13, 2018, 03:58:50 pm »

Tohil takes a splitter wand out of his back.
"Well, I have some of those wands. It doesn't hurt to try, right? I don't think we have enough space in the wheelbarrows either, so we will leave at least some of the stones here."

Awesome helpful detail: chunks of healthstone are the smallest/lightest you've found, at only 1 kg--in other words, these edible rocks are mechanically identical to travel food you buy in town.  Your not-full-to-capacity wheelbarrow is at 84/90 kg.  (And I haven't put the loose healthstone into it: Dustan is still carrying 5 rocks / 5 kg.)  So you can judge how to proceed from there.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 14, 2018, 01:55:41 pm »

attack the mushrooms once more then go to push a wheelbarrow I don't want to get saddled into carrying the corpse
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 14, 2018, 02:27:57 pm »

((If we have time, I want to use a splitter wand to get some workstone. It's valuable and can get us some workstone equipment when we sell it. And also to butcher the lemmings before leaving.))

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 14, 2018, 10:28:39 pm »

attack the mushrooms once more then go to push a wheelbarrow I don't want to get saddled into carrying the corpse

(Wasn't somebody gonna do something about that corpse?  Like . . . bury?  Set on fire?  Feed to the ants OH WAIT.)

((If we have time, I want to use a splitter wand to get some workstone. It's valuable and can get us some workstone equipment when we sell it. And also to butcher the lemmings before leaving.))

To be clear, that's (splitter wand #1) see if there's anything behind some cracked walls and (splitter wand #2) mine some workstone, correct?  And, again, you've got free time to butcher critters when the group camps for the night, which'll come shortly.  In case of space concerns, Louis (dustywayfarer) does seem to have offered to help.

Now I'll need input from the rest of the relevant folks.  I'm looking at you, relevant folks.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 15, 2018, 05:39:30 am »

Gary continues his mining.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 15, 2018, 06:12:54 am »

Use a splitter wand in the cracks to confirm there is no hidden hive behind the walls.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 15, 2018, 03:17:38 pm »

Use a splitter wand in the cracks to confirm there is no hidden hive behind the walls.

Okay, then since that's a conditional upon which other folk's actions depend, I think I'll try to get something out for it.  Though it would be good to know if any of the people interested in the human corpse you dragged here will want to address it in any way--either Dustan (Dustan Hache), as you went to all this bother, or Dwain (Starver), as I believe you'd expressed something on the matter since.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 15, 2018, 04:32:02 pm »

(Can't see the last contribution I posted. I may not, it seems, have contributed/posted it. Ooops!)

If I've done all I can do with the luggage (time-filler) and there's nothing else to look at around the candle-explosion, I shall consider gathering rocks together for a memorial cairn where the 'battle' took place. And if I leave room for a body, I leave it up to someone else whether it shall be left there, to be surrounded by 'its' pile of enemy viscera.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 15, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »

Previous -- Next

Then let's get this handled, shall we?  There are multiple hypothetical wall locations you could tear open, so I chose one that would get the greatest depth into the unknown.

After some conversation, Tohil is still concerned about the cracked walls of this nest, imagining they could very well connect to other perilous regions--and critters.  You go to test this with a splitter wand.  BOOM!

Whew, did you hit a fault line or something?  Once the dust has settled, a mini-chasm has been carved through the wall.  There's nothing back here.  Possibility: the ant lemmings were digging into, not out of, this section of the caves.

Spoiler: And . . . again (click to show/hide)

With a smooshing sound, John declares victory over another patch of blood-feeding mushrooms.  But not their neighbors, apparently.  The patch next door will have to live knowing the fate they missed by a hair's breadth, and feel the absence of ones they once knew.

But speaking of death, Dwain sets about building a small cairn in the general region of battle.  Hey, look: Dustan already did some of the work for you, gathering sling stones.  You'll just move that heap over here . . . and, done!  Clearly a monument to the destruction which shall last long after the final bits of lemming goo have been consumed by fungi.

. . . That's that.  Leaving?

If you do, then I'll make some rolls for Gary (Coolrune206) and Louis (dustywayfarer) to see if you wrench anything worthwhile out of the walls before you go.  Probably not, but you told me you want this, so . . .
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:09:24 pm by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 15, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »

"Louis, could you lend me your butchering knife, please?"

I want to stay here and butcher the ant lemmings so we can carry only the skulls and leave all the other remains behind.

Once we are ready to leave (butchering or no butchering), I want to use a splitter wand on the workstone ores that are next to the upper exit then carry as much as possible on the wheelbarrows.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 16, 2018, 08:35:47 am »

Unless you have some specific reason to want to leave unusable remains here--that is, on this specific map--I must repeat that you'll have time for butchering when the group stops for the night.  That was my initial intent with this time system: while traveling, you'll be in some nebulous inbetween place deep within the tunnels, where you can dispose of garbage just fine.

(Any implications there for how the underground works?  Nothing I'd confirm or deny.)

You'll have space enough to handle whatever workstone you collect on your way out.  It'll be resolved via handwave-y inventory juggling and we can move on to the next scene, where I'll end with the workstone in the wheelbarrow.

Any other actions from people?  "All aboard?"
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 173