Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233306 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 16 - Hardworking Individuals
« Reply #2160 on: March 11, 2018, 02:02:59 pm »

keep throwing rocks at the mushroom is not like you have something better to do.

(It's been ambiguous, but typically I've thought of the individual mushroom icons as representing a patch of varying sizes.  'Cause, well, Dwarf Fortress and its tiles.)

Now waiting on Gary (Coolrune206), unless you just want to hang out and chill until something happens, too.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 11, 2018, 02:15:07 pm »

Gary continues to "chill".
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 11, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »

Previous -- Next

Chill shall you be.

Spoiler: Chillin' (click to show/hide)

(I don't know what's come over me.)

Half the team is active; the other half is chill.  Like Gary: so chill you hardly know what to do with yourself.

In that vein, John is getting bored and still wants to smash mushrooms.

The mushrooms make various purple-colored sound effects as you pummel them into submission.  That's how you pass the time, people: by slinging rocks at mushrooms.

Meanwhile, there's some back-and-forth with weapons, carcasses, and inventory, and Dustan leads Tohil into the east.  Ahh, you recall this corner of the deep from days ago: there's that carving in the wall that John defaced for some reason.  What's up with those things anyway?

But beyond the now-crumbled shale, you see a different sort of design.

Spoiler: Observation rolls (click to show/hide)

The chaotic sort carved organically by many busy creatures.  Their detritus is all over, suffused with a scent of vanilla strong enough it nearly chokes you.  Tohil has never seen anything like this: organic matter spread like paint shines in your lantern light, with chunky fleshy chitinous . . . eugh, it's probably a birthing chamber.  Or hatchery.  Or whatever they do.

There are weird brown stones, too, like some sort of crystal mined out of the walls, but apparently brought into the nest for food.  Dustan describes this as healthstone, a perfectly edible mineral he spotted through cracks in the walls days ago but didn't mine at the time.  Good thing you caught this when you did; left alone, who knows how fat the hive would have grown?

. . . So that's what you have for now.  Next?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 12, 2018, 06:23:15 am »

scoop up the lumps of healthstone and continue checking the cave for nasties. I see something of a gap in the north wall that looks too small for me to fit through and a cramped tunnel to the east. Make sure there are no other nasties.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:26:06 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 12, 2018, 07:13:52 am »

(See.. If we'd have filled up on the Workstone, we'd have had no space left for the Healthstone.   :P)

If people are determined to load up with things, I'll take the initiative and move things off and onto the wheelbarrow and out of and into backpacks, as mentioned before, and save everyone else the effort while they're off fetching skulls and rocks and stuff back.

I shall call Louis over to help, if they're not doing anything useful, like helping the spread of spores from eukaryotic fruiting bodies.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 12, 2018, 07:55:18 am »

Protect Dustan while he gathers the stones. Continue being alert and searching the cave for remaining monsters.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 12, 2018, 08:09:13 am »

Money for the taking? I'm on it. . .

Louis spends whatever time is left until the evening mining out opal. I'll save the wands in case something valuable is found on the way.

EDIT: If y'all want more carrying capacity, sure. I'll just want a few tokens of gratitude in return. Preferably in the form of shiny shiny opalll. . .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:14:19 am by dustywayfarer »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 12, 2018, 08:19:53 am »

(Sure, you can have the rock with the lowest value for the highest weight that can't be used for anything.  :P)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 12, 2018, 08:23:12 am »

Gary joins Louis in mining the opal.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 12, 2018, 08:34:06 am »

(Sure, you can have the rock with the lowest value for the highest weight that can't be used for anything.  :P)
Louis is the guy who blew himself up with his own lantern and got sent down here because he fancied screwing with other people's money was being a good financier. Dumb, slightly?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:47 am »

Don't let the doctor catch him being stupid. He's a bit ax-crazy at the moment.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 12, 2018, 10:17:49 am »

destroy more mushrooms
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 12, 2018, 04:31:52 pm »

Make sure we are organized enough to leave.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 12, 2018, 08:55:11 pm »

Make sure we are organized enough to leave.

(I like the sounds of quiet desperation I can imagine around this.)

But with that in mind, two people just expressed interest in mining.  Louis (dustywayfarer): if Alyssa (Rautherdir) manages to get people a-movin', there will be little benefit (probably) from mining without using splitter wands.

With that warning, I can leave you two goofballs to your shinies.  Shiiiinies.  And probably update tomorrow.  But further commentary is welcomed.

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 13, 2018, 05:15:10 am »

Also, if the OP isn't out of date, Coal and Hematite are worth less opal by weight than opal itself. Of course they have more intrinsic use than opal does.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 173