Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233368 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 16 - A Friendly Face
« Reply #2070 on: February 28, 2018, 08:25:04 pm »

In short, class changing works by "FallacyofUrist forces me to come up with a system for class changing."

No, really.  Classes are a minor part of this game, so class changing is a silly concept here (and in real life, come to think of it), and in the end I'd be more down for roleplaying than inventing some system.  If it makes sense, it happens.

And with those examples you listed, we're back to the case for your own character, really.  Worried that I'd have to dish out "extra powers" to players who "dual-class" their characters, I preferred to have you be a primarily-warrior-type character instead of primarily-religious-type.  It made sense that actual religious powers might be left behind with the centerpiece of your faith.  So: warrior, with religion as flavor text.

If a new person came by and said explicitly "I am a paladin!" . . . then I'd wonder why they were exiled.  Sounds like a story, doesn't it?  And ideally I'd be able to pin down some explanation behind it which translated into class abilities--like, maybe, they're actually a con artist.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:34 pm »

Who needs to class change when you're a doctor? I mean really, the only difference between a surgeon and an assassin is how the blade is used on the target.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 28, 2018, 09:09:22 pm »

Who needs to class change when you're a doctor?

I was talking to randomgenericusername.  I have further commentary to you which I have just typed up into the update itself.  Now pending . . .

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: February 28, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »

Previous -- Next

I never got an answer from Bob (magmaholic): do you want to go back on the waitlist?

Enough noises are made that sound like "okay, we're done!" that the violence seems to stop.  A small cluster of people gather around the newly-created pit and help out Dustan and that one guard.

John just keeps right out of it.  As you head to the west, Etrigan tosses after you a brief reminder: "Blue hair.  Lockbox keys.  You know where to find us."

The remaining exiles seem to be all business, and the guards do too . . . and this might be somewhat at odds.  In all:

Tohil, Alyssa, and Gary gather some belongings from the deceased.  Dustan stitches up his hand--eugh, you stop any new problems, but it looks like this is just going to smart all day.

The guards you attracted stay close by anyone with fresh blood on 'em, and they debate the matter.  The one with the war hammer observes that the only actual damage was done by somebody who's now dead.  "Not much more we can ask, is there?"

"Of course there is!" says the one with the battle axe.  "The whole gang started a scuffle.  Ye don't just pretend no one threw it because the bottle missed your head!"

"I don't think you're going to come up with a good idea for compensation when the problem is a hole in the ground."

"You forget: I'm Swift.  That gives me plenty of ideas."

The others look somewhat disgusted.  "We're nowhere near Rock Bottom.  What are you gonna do: march them to town just so you can punish them?"

"Well, maybe a volunteer . . . "

From the exiles, there is some suggestion that a splitter wand might be provided for financial compensation.  Perhaps even the remaining gear on the body!  (Minus, ah, the really good stuff of course.)  This does seem like it could work, if someone wanted to argue for it.

Oh, and, right, there's a body lying in their turf.  Uh, Dustan shows interest in dragging the body away?

So I figured I should do a diplomacy roll or something, specifically for Tohil (randomgenericusername) because you're the one who suggested paying them in actual dialog, but I just made the scene slightly more complicated.  So here's one more prompt before we (hopefully) resolve the scene.  Who wants to take the last push to clean up this mess?

Speaking of resolve, apparently Dustan (Dustan Hache) is willing to sacrifice for the cause.  If all goes well with this conversation, then I'll have you depart this area once finished, and we move to the next map.  With all the rolls that entails.

(And just to be clear: when you attempt something beyond your ability, like lifting a heavy weight, my plan was to roll to see if you injure yourself.  If you spend hours doing that challenge over and over, I'll roll multiple times.  To do otherwise would encourage players to drag all the heavy-and-salable corpses by hand that they wanted with no consequences.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:42:23 pm by Sir Knight »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 28, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »

"H-hey Doc, I'm really close to death here. I know t-that's probably what you want, but... please, I don't want to die. Help me."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: March 01, 2018, 05:19:19 am »

Yeah,but I cannot write properly on the phone now,i willlater today.
I am a Goober.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: March 01, 2018, 05:57:26 am »

"H-hey Doc, I'm really close to death here. I know t-that's probably what you want, but... please, I don't want to die. Help me."
"Fine, but you're helping me haul Bob's body.. Give me a moment."
get the blanket Bob used to own, cut it into bandages, and carefully dress that neck wound before Gary bleeds out.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:01 am »

"What about an equivalent exchange? The mason destroyed a rock, we give you one in return. I heard these "bindstone" rocks could be valuable, so it might help."
Gift one of my bindstone rocks + everything unclaimed in Bob's body. If they still want more for a hole in the ground from someone we tried to stop and is now dead, remind them about how he tried to stop the guy making holes and that we can't do anything else when we weren't the ones who caused the problem in the first place. What do they want us to do, fill the hole? That would create another hole somewhere else.

Also, help carry the body.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:07:14 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: March 01, 2018, 08:10:58 am »

just wait and see what happens
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: March 01, 2018, 11:19:20 am »

just wait and see what happens

I've been assuming you left off the western edge, but, well, that distinction hardly matters at this point.

[Many things]

I'll actually roll, but it's safe to assume that something like this will turn out well and you'll all leave next update.  It will take me awhile to prepare as I'm about to engage the randomness!  Whee!  So none of us actually know how long . . .

you're helping me haul Bob's body.

. . . these people are going to be dragging a corpse.  I have such grisly mental images here.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: March 01, 2018, 11:29:24 am »

(Tohil will help with the body too. The three of us can take turns on carrying it so we don't drag in on the ground.)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:52 am »

Ah yes,finally home. Now i can ask to J͙̖̙̭̺͔̙͖͕͚͖̹̘̯̞͎̠͎̤̔͒ͨͬ͑̎̀ͫͮ̋ͯ͠O̹͉͍͉̞̘͖͇̜̳̳͇̥̩̭̭̹̍ͧ͗͛̚̕͢I̴̡̧̩̭̱̭̖̭͋͑̍͛̑̾̐̀͛̄̍̏͆ͧͬ̔͆̒N̸̗̮̞͍̥̱ͤͪͯ͂̋̊̈͋̄̄̏̾ͥͧͫͦ̽̾̾͜ ͋͆ͩ̓̎ͨ҉̭͙̦̱̜͎̰̕͘Ư̡̥̯̖̜͖͚̤̟̖̫͉͈ͤͯ͒̔ͨ́̉ͫS̵̢̡͇̯̺̼̳̪̺ͥ̃̑ͬͮ̂ͣ̔̈́̃̿ͫ͐͘ ̓ͨ̓̐̌ͨͦ͘҉̲̰͓̗͇̼͕̳͞ͅͅJ̢͖̭͎̘̼͇̘̰͇͈̳̤̘͚̥̻̠ͪ͗ͦ͐̋ͣ̊̅͒Ơ̶͚̖̩͕̳̳̦̰̪̹̣͓̩̤ͮ̑̃̃̏ͪ̎ͫ͒̀ͮ̊͌̾ͩ͛̓̾̿͡͡I̵̜̣̪̞̺̲̱̖̟̤̠̺͇̖̯̤ͦͨͪ̐̿ͨͧͥͪ̃̓͂ͭ̿͜͡ͅN̷͒ͤͭ̄҉̷̲̟̮̣̳̭͉͍̺̜̣̭̬͖͓̀̕ͅ ͈̭̱̳͍͈͚̝̺̠̘͍̭̖̹̘̱̬̊ͭͣ͗͘͡͡͞ͅŲ̡̝̤̙̮͕̫̥ͭ͑ͦͯͨͧ̽ͥ́̊̿̉ͪ͟͡S̸̴̨̱̰̖̹͍̣̫ͩ̔̿ͭ̋͒̍ͦͧͫ̒́͝ͅ ̡͑̔̿̏́ͪ͊̏̈̊̓̎ͧ̉ͯͮ̇͆͟͡͏̹̫͎̬̘̭̗̱̗̥̱̪J̶͓̮͓̮͙͈̭͈͚̞͙̣ͧ̑ͦͭ͐ͤ̿͊͂̓͗̂̒ͣ͐͛̋̂͠ͅǪ̶͍͖̗̟̦̞̲̠̼̤̭̣̲̋̔̎͌̄̆̾͒̽̓I̧̡̘̩̣̗͈̫̟͚̣̤̜͂͐͐ͩ̅̄̿͌͆̕͜ͅN̶͔̣̭̳͓̪̥̂̒̏ͤ̏͌ͭ ̵̛͔̮̲͈ͭͭ̉̾͑̀ͫ́̈̾ͬͭ̀́̚U̡̢̜̲̜̰̱̭̻̦̜̮̥̝͚͉̣͎̗̅̿̄ͬ͊̆̑͐̏̍ͣ̽̓͘S̡͙̮͕͚̙̜͋̐̇͒ͦ̌̌̊̎̓͠͠ͅ ̵̥̮̺̼̬͕̉ͨͧ̆ͩ̋̀͘͡ͅ properly.

Name: Lordon Edgeman
Icon color: b͏̮̻l͙͖̳͖a̭̱̹̙c̷̱̤̘̜̲̗ͅk͙̗̭̰̭̻̭ ̙̭͓̥̦̞̰̕s͙t̟̟̹̘͘u҉̟̥̲̹f̼̣̩f̴̙̲̻̙̠

What you did before coming down here: I was,and still am,an Occultist.Nobody likes people dicking around with it,who knew.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:39:40 am by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: March 01, 2018, 12:02:38 pm »

After being patched up, Gary helps carry the body.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: March 01, 2018, 12:07:33 pm »

. . . these people are going to be dragging a corpse.  I have such grisly mental images here.
It's my corpse. I killed it, I gotta deal with it. Isn't that fitting enough as is?

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: March 01, 2018, 12:10:24 pm »

(Tohil will help with the body too. The three of us can take turns on carrying it so we don't drag in on the ground.)

You people and your corpses.

black stuff

Translating that into something usable . . . it's still difficult to give a unique icon color.  Here are all the players before I make these recent changes:

(That image will probably stop displaying once I make a new one.)

So I can't use bright red, since that's been claimed since the start.  But will he actually die soon and free up the color?  Erm, well, he might die, but he will always be welcome to come back with the same color.  Dark red (maroon) is in use by somebody who was supposed to start playing awhile ago, but wasn't caught up on reading, so the color is in a nebulous state.  I could use just plain black, but would you want plain black for an icon when your text is glowing red?

Going through the default palette here, I could find a red that's a few shades darker than the existing dark one on the waitlist.  You'd have to squint to see that it isn't actually black.  Is that okay?
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 173