Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Design the Titan's Drifter  (Read 8783 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Design an Old Spaceship
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2017, 05:38:46 pm »

Deep in the bowels of the ship, there is an ancient fission reactor. It is fully functional, except for the fact that the radiation shielding has been 'borrowed' to cover the warp cores.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2017, 11:02:58 pm »

There is a section of hallway which inexplicably connects to another ship, despite the maddening lack of a physical link. What ship it connects to changes every Friday, and the hallway is possibly the most heavily defended section of the ship since the Slime Invasion of 5067.

The ship has an outdated anti-matter reactor that produces enough energy to keep the ship running, but has no radiation shielding for the gamma radiation it emits. As such, each time the anti-matter cores inside of the reactor run out, a crew member has to commit suicide to refuel it, as the radiation also creates a EMP effect on robotic drones.

(I'm pretty sure that's way too critical to be a 'quirk'.)
((Honestly, compared to some of the things wrong with this ship it is a quirk- besides, they can always just hire some alien with a radiation tolerance.))
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2017, 11:09:49 pm »

At this point, I'm not entirely sure the no magic rule is intact.

Blue, however, is more on the scientific side, analyzing the various anomalies the ship is home to. Those anomalies it finds that are useful on a personal level are given out as rewards for a real-time-strategy game competition.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:37 pm »

The ship has an outdated anti-matter reactor that produces enough energy to keep the ship running, but has no radiation shielding for the gamma radiation it emits. As such, each time the anti-matter cores inside of the reactor run out, a crew member has to commit suicide to refuel it, as the radiation also creates a EMP effect on robotic drones.

(I'm pretty sure that's way too critical to be a 'quirk'.)
((Honestly, compared to some of the things wrong with this ship it is a quirk- besides, they can always just hire some alien with a radiation tolerance.))

(It says 'no radiation shielding'.  Bathing the entirety of the ship in high levels of gamma radiation is pretty damn critical.)

(Yeah, the cube and the ship linking seem to cross the line, and would therefore be invalidated.  Given the former was prompted by what people thought was a lack of space, it's probably time to make a new ship.  I'll boot up a new thread with an initial description so we don't confuse what is on which ship.  Let's consider this one closed once we get the final of the three AIs (Yellow) detailed.)

(Edit: Here's the new ship.  Someone make sure to describe the 'Yellow' AI before everyone swarms over to that one.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:34:57 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Design the Titan's Drifter
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2017, 11:42:43 pm »

Yellow tends to focus on the ship's... stranger inhabitants. It has a knack for finding human tribes, aliens, and all sorts of other species, and often provides biologists and recruiters who prove themselves to be reasonably competent the means to find or negotiate with them.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2017, 03:02:50 am »

((Ok. I'm making a forum game using this. But before I do, I need to know what type of gameplay you guys would like. RTD? SG? Team game? Faction game? SG-ish game where you don't actually play as players, but can suggest what the whole crew does?

Also, I think In my forum game I'm gonna keep the cube, because I have the perfect idea of what could power it, but I'm afraid the ship linking is just WAY too magical to be a thing I have in my forum game, sorry to everyone who hoped I would keep it.))
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:06:33 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2017, 06:48:58 am »

It depends on how sufficiently advanced is your technology, Shirley... ;)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:28 am »

((Ok. I'm making a forum game using this. But before I do, I need to know what type of gameplay you guys would like. RTD? SG? Team game? Faction game? SG-ish game where you don't actually play as players, but can suggest what the whole crew does?

Also, I think In my forum game I'm gonna keep the cube, because I have the perfect idea of what could power it, but I'm afraid the ship linking is just WAY too magical to be a thing I have in my forum game, sorry to everyone who hoped I would keep it.))
Ship linking was weird anyway.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:51 am »

In conclusion:

The Titan's Drifter is hypothetically a 200 by 60 meter FTL capable light frigate that is around seven hundred years old. The main hypothetically terms in that sentence are 200 by 60 meters, and light frigate, because it has been observed by many of the crew that the number of things inside the ship just doesn't match up with how much space the ship is observed to have from outside. The cause of this effect is as of yet unknown. Previously, it was theorized that it was caused by a space-warping black cube, but an application of the rare problem-solving program Zanzet revealed this wasn't the case.

The ship is powered by several different mechanisms. One is its two warp cores, which are used to fuel its faster-than-light travel, although since they are of different models, a special hack needed to be used on the AI(s), leading them to believe they were the same model. Outside of FTL, they also provide the ship's main power supply. For emergency power, the ship has an outdated anti-matter reactor that bathes the ship in radiation due to a complete lack of shielding. The crew can survive this for short periods due to the odd physiological modifications their diet gives them, but not for longer periods. The emergency power source is quite distinct from backup power, which is used to supplant the main power supply quite often due to the necessity of frequent maintenance on the capacitor bank. Backup power is supplied by an anomalous black cylinder. Nobody knows how it produces power, but what the crew does know that blood and sound waves hitting it result in horrible things, meaning they keep it in a vacuum chamber. In addition, they must never run it during FTL travel. This does mean that the ship is very short on power during FTL travel, with only the warp cores functioning, meaning the only power that the ship can use is that which is leftover from the cores.

The ship's weapons are another interesting subject. Its three main weapons systems are missile launchers, railguns, and plasma cannons, but it also has a tri-focused disintegration cannon, never fired since the ship's creation. The railguns and plasma cannons are nothing special. The missile launchers are very old, but have been kept in order to fire the experimental missiles in the missile armory which can only be fired by such old launchers. As for the tri-focused disintegration cannon... firing it would take more power than the ship's warp cores can provide. If it fired, both the warp cores would burn out and the ship would have a 50% chance of destruction besides, perhaps not worth the power of the cannon. Using the antimatter reactor could hypothetically provide enough power such that the warp cores wouldn't burn out and the ship wouldn't explode, but it runs the risk of altering the unstable strangelets the cannon fires, making them stable strangelets, which scares the ship's AI(s) to the point where none of them will even consider using that option. The tri-focused disintegration cannon projects a special energy via its triple focus, beaming the energy onto a fired burst of unstable strangelets, allowing them to replicate. The end result of this is a shot that can take out as much as a heavy frigate very quickly.

((Summary ho! More later.))
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]