Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153523 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives
« Reply #1230 on: August 27, 2018, 10:23:59 am »

Use a series of Megafauna runes to lure the train into an area with a hard ground that it cannot burrow through.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 27, 2018, 10:31:40 am »

Split the money with Don, giving him 3500 pounds.  Then go rent the armoured car, asking if they provide a driver.

And buy some new clothing.

If those pegasi show up again, do some filming, but not for release.  It'd be better to steal or absorb their glamours like that cult was doing with the gryphon, so the footage might be for comparsion purposes.

"Don, you put up the seed money, so you should get that back, but we still need to rent the armoured car.  Is an even split okay, if I pay for the vehicle rental?  That should be somewhere around 700-1000 pounds."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:42:13 pm by Devastator »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 27, 2018, 10:48:16 am »

Split the money with Don, giving him 3500 pounds.

"Don, you put up the seed money, so you should get that back, but we still need to rent the armoured car.  Is an even split okay, if I pay for the vehicle rental?  That should be somewhere around 700-1000 pounds."
"I don't  mind, but we may not need it yet. I kind of want to help out with this train hunt."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 27, 2018, 10:55:41 am »

"Hey, if you don't want it, I'd be glad to hang onto the money.  No reason you can't take your cut and go help with the train hunt."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 27, 2018, 10:59:27 am »

"Hey, if you don't want it, I'd be glad to hang onto the money.  No reason you can't take your cut and go help with the train hunt."
Don laughed. "Heh. No, I mean that we may not need the armored car if we can get transport from the mages who want the train. I still want my cut."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 27, 2018, 11:10:56 am »

"I think they can only transport it safely through their territory.  After that we have to go through the zone controlled by those London Nazis.  And I'm pretty sure an armoured car would be a good thing to have for that."

"I'm going to go pick it up now, and might see if there's any cheap mods I can pick up to help it's protection.  Other than that, I think we could stand to have the route properly scouted, and then we're ready."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 27, 2018, 11:29:11 am »

"Ah, I suppose we could do it. Feel free to just take my half of the rental now then. You can give me the change later. And I will keep track."

Take my half, give Namani £1000 for the rental. Then make our way to rent the car.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 27, 2018, 11:45:43 am »

"What do you want to buy that's so expensive, anyway?"

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 27, 2018, 12:24:30 pm »

"What do you want to buy that's so expensive, anyway?"
"Well, the market is a real intersting place, I am quite fond of it."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 27, 2018, 01:11:06 pm »

Damn it, I barely get the time to do anything. Well then, go find Jane before she kills herself or does anything silly like trying to use pyromancy explosions on a pool of magical chemicals.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:39:28 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 27, 2018, 04:05:56 pm »

respectfully, feck off

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 29, 2018, 12:18:37 pm »

Gather up a full complement of guns, and then head out to meet up with the others, and inform them personally of the mission.  Not gonna rely on Vince and his shelltalk.

Also, consider the practicality of stealing an APC or tank or some other military armored vehicle.  Would there even be any of those nearby?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 02, 2018, 06:19:29 pm »

Gather up a full complement of guns, and then head out to meet up with the others, and inform them personally of the mission.  Not gonna rely on Vince and his shelltalk.

Also, consider the practicality of stealing an APC or tank or some other military armored vehicle.  Would there even be any of those nearby?
You arm yourself to the teeth, and meet up with Nanami first, telling her about the mission. Against your advice, she informs everyone else by phone. Now the government knows your location, unless Vince can handle that too. You split, for safety's sake.

Given Vince's surprising feat of haggling you into army positions, along with Nanami's penchant for disguises, it would be very easy to get in a strategic position near one of the tanks or armoured vehicles scattered aroud the area. You'd still have to fight some professional soldiers, but a stealthy approach could succeed. Given the high concentration of troops, tanks and helicopters nearby, open confrontation is suicide, even by your standards. Due to some sort of explosion your allies apparently caused, though the details probably aren't important. There's even a challenger 2, although that's in the centre of a camp of sorts, so would be a bit harder to steal. That's a vehicle you grudgingly admire, never having been destroyed by enemy fire yourself.

"Ah, I suppose we could do it. Feel free to just take my half of the rental now then. You can give me the change later. And I will keep track."

Take my half, give Namani £1000 for the rental. Then make our way to rent the car.
Split the money with Don, giving him 3500 pounds.  Then go rent the armoured car, asking if they provide a driver.

And buy some new clothing.

If those pegasi show up again, do some filming, but not for release.  It'd be better to steal or absorb their glamours like that cult was doing with the gryphon, so the footage might be for comparsion purposes.

The two of you go to the rental place. Ben turns up right outside with two machine guns slung over his back, a pistol at his belt, a hip taser and pretty much every other part of his body covered in knives, but you quickly deal with him. He hasn't been arrested yet, presumably due to Vince's backing.

You have enough to hire the car for at least a fortnight (a couple of missions). It would be three times as much to buy it outright. There's a reasonable selection of vehicles.

The car hiring business has a magical advisor, a mediocre shaman who gives off only a slight buzz of magical energy. The young polish man fingers his effigies nervously, and politely asks you to take good care of it. He somehow knows you're part of a larger magical organisation, and seems at pains to ingratiate himself with power. Sensible. You get the feeling he wants goodwill more than cash.

The organisation can give you a driver, but it's going to cost money. If you're willing to rely on a mortal who may not have combat experience to drive you, of course.

Use a series of Megafauna runes to lure the train into an area with a hard ground that it cannot burrow through.
A cunning approach. Unfortunately, London has nothing but relatively soft clay, the natural habitat of this burrowing train-worm. You scratch a gigantic megabeast rune on what seems like hard ground, but is actually just a thin layer of concrete.

Runic: 1+1

You finish the rune and wait. Nothing seems to have happened. You look around you, but the train worm isn't even in sight.

Then the ground explodes a scant few metres away from you, and you're thrown into the air by a wave of earth and rubble, the massive train passing straight through the rune, obliterating it with a scream of contempt and victory. The entire body of the locomotive rushes past as you're tossed into the sky, carriages flashing past, the rich musk of electrical magic crashing against your nostrils. Several small bones crunch from the impact, and you black out as you fall.

"Interesting. Perhaps the little one is trying to talk? Perhaps not."

Then the sunflowers stop looking at you, and your skull becomes opaque again as the lights recede.

Damn it, I barely get the time to do anything. Well then, go find Jane before she kills herself or does anything silly like trying to use pyromancy explosions on a pool of magical chemicals.
Vince gives you Jane's location, and you fly off towards her. It takes you a while to safely cross the Thames river, but you manage to use a bridge without disturbing any giant sea serpents or prowling nightmare creatures.

You see the train-worm writhing across an open area of abandoned parkland and building sites in the distance and head towards it. As you get closer, you make out the figure of Jane, scratching something potent and magical into the rock. The creature immediately changes its behaviour, rearing around in the air, before diving into the ground, going straight for the young witch. You accelerate, swooping towards Jane as she looks round unconcernedly. Instants before you reach her, the ground erupts in a fountain of earth, and your target is thrown into the sky.

You change course, dodging flying rocks and squinting against a bombardment of earth and pebbles, and press into the rush of hot air and electromagical excreta, snatching the child from harm midway through her tumble towards the concrete below. Then you arc up and away from the worm, holding the unconscious witch carefully.

You fly off to a safe distance and Jane opens her eyes, looking annoyed and not-at-all grateful.

Damn kids.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 02, 2018, 06:39:34 pm »

How much for just the one mission?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?