Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153927 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Rivals
« Reply #960 on: December 19, 2017, 04:51:08 am »

Hmm.  Can I have some more information on how Cardoon works, please?  How controllable is it?

Also, yes, wander a market or something and look at magical stuff.

Also also there's actually no section in the OP on how runes work...

((Passive runes are always on, active runes you have to draw, like with chalk or spray paint.))
((That's not really answering the question of how they work.))
You draw runes on something, they affect that something. I.e. a "Heavy" rune would make things heavier. Some you draw and they affect people's minds. I.e. a "Panic" rune would make people more likely to panic when they saw it. Some also affect the witch who knows them: an "Intelligent" rune might make you smarter. Some runes can be used in combat, like writing a "fire" rune very fast on someone to set them on fire.

Runes cost no puissance to use. Also, if you use some magical liquid to write them like gryphon blood or ground up zombie, then that will affect and enhance the spell.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »

Oh, maybe also make, like, a canteen with Usquebaugh for the coven.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Rivals
« Reply #962 on: December 20, 2017, 05:52:35 pm »

Ben takes the rifle from Nanami and looks over it appreciatively.  He checks the magazine, which I assume is fine despite it being a living gun.

"Wow, this what I think it is...?  Yeah, can't forget those bullets, this is one of those Spetsnaz underwater rifles!  I've only seen one of these before, Russian mob, ah, hired me to kill a guy down in Venice, 'cause he stole it from them.  Damn crazy liked to wear a frog costume, thought he was amphibian batman or something... you know some dangerous people, Nanami."

He then looks up at the guy preparing to attack, while simultaneously asking for a better weapon than a magical stick, and lets out a long sigh.

"Look, kid, stop for a moment and think.  We don't want to attack yet, they're not done pulling the plutonium out of the river.  If we open fire, it's just going to slide right back down to the bottom, and you'll have to go skinny dipping in all the sewage that fills city canals, to pull it back out.  That sound fun?  No?  Then we wait until they're done, and we mow them down after the rock's on dry land.  Tell ya what, if you wait, I'll show you how to use this--" he holds up the ADS rifle "--and you can have it for the ambush.  Sound good?"

Assuming RGU agrees to that plan, give him a quick rundown of how to operate the amphibious rifle, and then let him have it (unless Dev dissents).  Then find a spot with both a good view of the riverside and solid cover (prone on a rooftop, possibly?), and set up the Minimi.  Ben will only open fire if a Coven member is detected, or if someone else attacks, focusing his fire on the trash-armored people's legs.  Edit: Or if the haulers pull the rock far enough out of the water that there's no risk of it sliding back in.  The risk of it going back into the river is our only real reason to wait.

If RGU doesn't agree to wait, move to flank from another angle, and open fire with the ADS after RGU's attack has resolved; shoot at Mr. Yellow if he's still alive, or at the trashmen's legs if Yellow's dead.

Meta question that just occured to me: Since the ADS uses two different types of ammo depending on whether it's above or below water, and living guns create their bulleteggs in advance, which is it loaded with right now?  Can it change which it uses?  Does it have magical multi-purpose bullets?  Should I just ignore this for narrative purposes? :P

((In theory underwater rounds should work acceptably above ground, they'd just be way less accurate and a bit less lethal.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 20, 2017, 06:10:55 pm »

"Sounds like a good plan. But we should be careful. They might have protection against bullets or physical damage. I hope not having to breathe improves my aim, since I haven't used a gun before."
Gladly accept the rifle. A proper weapon,
unlike the bone launcher.
4) Instead of using my wand, swith to the rifle and keep aim on the head of the yellow dude. Stay in position until Ben is ready or if someone in the Coven is spotted. Headshot the yellow dude then keep shooting him in the chest until he is dead using my sweet +2 Aim and stealth bonus.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 20, 2017, 06:40:50 pm »

"Most dangerous person I know is you, Ben."

"Yeah, anyone can have the rifle.  Just give it back when we're done."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:35:09 pm by Devastator »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 20, 2017, 07:24:52 pm »

Hold for Ben's command, then summon giraffes on any survivors after opening volley. If an exceptionally dangerous enemy reveals themselves, sic the warrior on them. Position myself by Ben. He seems good at this.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:31:00 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 25, 2017, 01:17:58 pm »

Oh, maybe also make, like, a canteen with Usquebaugh for the coven.
Hmm.  Can I have some more information on how Cardoon works, please?  How controllable is it?

Also, yes, wander a market or something and look at magical stuff.

Also also there's actually no section in the OP on how runes work...

Try to keep to one bolded post, please. Editing actions is completely fine.

You could write "Cardoon" very large, have any nearby plants grow a fair bit more. Or you could write it all over one particular plant, have it grow to maybe ten times the size. You can't control how the plants grow though, that's up to them.

You fill a 4-litre milk bottle with water, and write the rune on it. Easy health potions.

Right, sights. Wandering around looking for magical stuff, you notice a building swarming with ant people, a man lurking in a cellar with a corkscrew hand, a gigantic scorpion clinging to the side of a skyscraper, and a hooded figure who cuts a manhole out of the ground with a pair of scissors, jumps in, and slides a cover over it.

New Runes:
Urbaturgy: slight bonus to performing magic involving the fabric of the city. Very situational.
Scorpion: melee attacks more likely to inflict various ailments (e.g. stun, tetanus, possession by evil spirits.)

Anything you want to do, or should I send you into a mission?

I still have the corpse hidden in a bush, right?
1) Take the dead guy's stuff then start to butcher it with my special knife.
2) Amputate the forearm. Remove all the meaty stuff in the forearm until the wrist, keeping the hand intact. Make that a wand with the forearm bones as the handle and lenght of the wand, and the hand in the end from where I fire the spells.
3) Once done making the hand wand, inform the rest of the team about the group of leather guys, the trash golems, the undead abomination in the truck and the man of yellow rags.
4) Organize and prepare the team to attack from stealth at the same time. Once we are ready, carefully aim my invisible flesh-removing beam and fire multiple times to kill the man in yellow rags. Continued in next post.

"There is a group of trash creatures, an undead abomination and a group of humans. I'll try to kill the one in yellow rags. Let's focus on the humans first."
((I have a 2 in Aim. If you have any spare guns, I would like to have something more reliable than my wand. It can only harm organics and we are probably going to fight these trash monsters.))
"Sounds like a good plan. But we should be careful. They might have protection against bullets or physical damage. I hope not having to breathe improves my aim, since I haven't used a gun before."
Gladly accept the rifle. A proper weapon,
unlike the bone launcher.
4) Instead of using my wand, swith to the rifle and keep aim on the head of the yellow dude. Stay in position until Ben is ready or if someone in the Coven is spotted. Headshot the yellow dude then keep shooting him in the chest until he is dead using my sweet +2 Aim and stealth bonus.

Onnnnnnne bolded post. Edit if necessary.

Drop the extra gear off so as to not burden me, (backpack, diving gear, etc), and give the underwater rifle to Ben, if he wants it.  Keep the knife, pistol, and wand if Ben takes the gun.  Keep the assault rifle if Ben doesn't.  Sneak up following Zamenis, using the tarp and my illusions as improvised camo gear, draping it over myself.  If I get far enough, examine the flatbed truck and try to see if it's secured or attached to anything in this location, including magical connections.

..alternatively, stay back and use my illusions to provide a fake camo tarp for Ben, in case he wants to sneak up and set a machine gun ambush.

"Fuuuuuuuuuuck this."

Go alight on a tall building's roof with an overview of the people dragging the fallen star out of the lake. When the others engage dive down as fast as possible and kill all five squishy humans with the Slaughter machete in one attack run, then fay away at top speed. Keep the gunwand in my offhand and parry any magical projectiles.
Ben takes the rifle from Nanami and looks over it appreciatively.  He checks the magazine, which I assume is fine despite it being a living gun.

"Wow, this what I think it is...?  Yeah, can't forget those bullets, this is one of those Spetsnaz underwater rifles!  I've only seen one of these before, Russian mob, ah, hired me to kill a guy down in Venice, 'cause he stole it from them.  Damn crazy liked to wear a frog costume, thought he was amphibian batman or something... you know some dangerous people, Nanami."

He then looks up at the guy preparing to attack, while simultaneously asking for a better weapon than a magical stick, and lets out a long sigh.

"Look, kid, stop for a moment and think.  We don't want to attack yet, they're not done pulling the plutonium out of the river.  If we open fire, it's just going to slide right back down to the bottom, and you'll have to go skinny dipping in all the sewage that fills city canals, to pull it back out.  That sound fun?  No?  Then we wait until they're done, and we mow them down after the rock's on dry land.  Tell ya what, if you wait, I'll show you how to use this--" he holds up the ADS rifle "--and you can have it for the ambush.  Sound good?"

Assuming RGU agrees to that plan, give him a quick rundown of how to operate the amphibious rifle, and then let him have it (unless Dev dissents).  Then find a spot with both a good view of the riverside and solid cover (prone on a rooftop, possibly?), and set up the Minimi.  Ben will only open fire if a Coven member is detected, or if someone else attacks, focusing his fire on the trash-armored people's legs.  Edit: Or if the haulers pull the rock far enough out of the water that there's no risk of it sliding back in.  The risk of it going back into the river is our only real reason to wait.

If RGU doesn't agree to wait, move to flank from another angle, and open fire with the ADS after RGU's attack has resolved; shoot at Mr. Yellow if he's still alive, or at the trashmen's legs if Yellow's dead.

Meta question that just occured to me: Since the ADS uses two different types of ammo depending on whether it's above or below water, and living guns create their bulleteggs in advance, which is it loaded with right now?  Can it change which it uses?  Does it have magical multi-purpose bullets?  Should I just ignore this for narrative purposes? :P

((In theory underwater rounds should work acceptably above ground, they'd just be way less accurate and a bit less lethal.))

The ammunition is alive, and thus knows whether or not it is being fired from underwater or not. The alternatives are simply implausible.
Hold for Ben's command, then summon giraffes on any survivors after opening volley. If an exceptionally dangerous enemy reveals themselves, sic the warrior on them. Position myself by Ben. He seems good at this.

Nanami hands the rifle to Zamenis. Ben and Don walk down to the intersection, and enter the short block of flats on corner of the crossroads furthest from the canal, closest to where the Coven started. Walking up to the roof and quietly forcing the door, they get an almost head-on line of fire down the street to the waterside. Ben sets up the Minimi: a clear shot over the foot-high brick barrier at the edge of the roof.

Zamenis rapidly creates the bone-and-hand wand, two spells, he doesn't know what they do yet. Three and two puissance. He loots the body then steps past it, poking his head around the corner and taking a bead on the yellow guy's head, illusory trashbags concealing him. Nanami begins to crawl towards the truck, under the illusion of a deep pile of leaves. The vehicle and its load don't seem to be attached to anything in the area. It's facing away from the canal, and the ramp on the back is lowered, presumably so something can be dragged up it. Directly into the tangled thicket of skeletons and machinery. She stops, noticing another leather-clad figure sitting at the wheel.

For a minute, things are still. Then screeching a battle-cry, Bella swoops from the clouds, directly towards the figures hauling at the power source.

Agility: 3 (bonus considered)

Flying downwards at incredible speed, her machete raised, Bella goes for the hooded figures. A fraction of a second before her dive levels out into a vicious swing, the air around her begins behaving rather oddly. A faint mist that lingers around the hooded figures flows towards her, intensifying into plumes and clouds of snowy white. As Bella flies in and collides with the mist, she is slowed considerably, the stuff behaving like a physical barrier. Deflected from her original route, she crashes into one of the leather-hooded figures, the two of them tangling and rolling into the gutter. With her right arm numb and useless, Bella draws the machete with her left.

5+1 vs 3+1

She manages to force her blade through her adversary's ribs as the leather-wearer throws out ineffectual punches. As she tries to yank it back out, the man yanks a clear vial from his pocket and empties it into his face, swallowing through blood.

At the same moment, Zamenis fires at the figure in yellow. His aim is perfect, but the bullet is halted in a plume of white mist metres from its target. Some sort of magical anti-projectile system. Further shots do nothing.

Ben focuses machine-gun fire on the knees of the trash golems, bullets eating into plastic and metal.

6+3+2 vs 4-1, 6-1, 6-1

Using half a magazine, he completely obliterates their legs, tight bursts of fire toppling them over as they ponderously run for cover. The figure in the driver's compartment of the truck pokes their head out, then hastily ducks back in. They fire up the engine, and begin to reverse towards the shining object at the end of the street.

The figure in yellow strides towards Bella, the sides of his leather greatcoat flapping as white vapour streams from the insides. The other three haulers curse and strain, but are content to watch as he rummages in his breast pocket before pulling out a black rod, the end immediately screaming white and orange sparks. He hurls it at Bella impossibly fast, hand twisting with messed-up alchemical velocities.

6+2 vs 5+2

Bella however is faster still, and manages to roll out the way of the ensuing explosion just in time, albeit towards the glowing object. She feels a rush of magical energy just as her clothes and broom catch fire. Black smoke billows from the flaming impact sight of the incendiary, pushing away the white mist as a patch of ground is consumed by green flames.

Rit: 3+2, 6+2 vs 2+2

Don Joe concentrates, and calls upon his demonic servants, stretching his arcane reach along the street. The presence of two massively powerful objects makes summoning hard, but the giraffe heads appear around the alchemist just the same, this time wearing fedoras. They fail to distract the haulers, rendered insubstantial by the incandescence, so instead cluster about the one in yellow, chanting dreadful poems about death and depravity in a language that can only be written in kidney infections. Distracted for a moment, the yellow figure lashes out at the giraffes as Don activates his talisman, the armoured warrior taking its target unawares. Somehow, the figure in yellow remains standing as the miraculous construct chains diagonal slashes across its body, vials shattering and leaking noxious fumes. Apparently this opponent is powerful enough to take this kind of punishment, at least for now.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:44:59 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 25, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

Yes, more things, probably crafting!  Scorpion, how does it work?  And a melee weapon with Scorpion on it sounds like a good idea right off the bat, or possibly tattooing it on myself...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 25, 2017, 02:12:30 pm »

"Let's wait for the mist to clear."

Wait for my puissance to recharge, be ready to summon again once it hits 3. Try and get the giraffes to deal physical damage to yellow-coat dude. Until I have enough to summon, stay low and be ready to bail out of position.

((Bigger fish, make sure you add some rusty sharp things.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 25, 2017, 02:23:41 pm »

((Can you use the giraffes to attack distract the leather dudes please? The more chaos there is, the better for us.))
I hope they didn't spot me during the chaos. Aim and fire multiple times at the truck driver, then shoot the leather men that are close to the glowy thingy or near my hiding spot using both my wand spell 2 and then the assault rifle when I run out of puissance.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:51:35 pm by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 25, 2017, 03:01:28 pm »

((I can't run the giraffes at the haulers until they get away from the object. It glows too hard.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:16 pm »

"You have to be FUCKING kidding me!"

Channel a clot from the power source, use it to turn yellow robe's spine into a wand, and cast its first spell while it's inside him.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 25, 2017, 06:59:43 pm »

((Can we please not mess with the power source for now? It grants clots just for being close and I don't want someone to blow it up or break it. Let's not force it until we have secured it. I'm not saying to not take clots from it, just don't try to forcefully drain it or directly absorb the power from it. It might be too strong or unstable for us.))
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:04:23 pm by randomgenericusername »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 25, 2017, 09:42:51 pm »

Immobilize the truck by shooting out its drive tire with the wand.  Then move up to the cab and under an illusion of another leather-hooded figure, shoot the driver in the face with my pistol through his open window.  Then open the door and drag that guy out.  If the truck hasn't been successfully immobilized, jump in and stop the truck from inside.  If it has, quickly loot his body for weapons and gear, and to see if these guys are human.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:03:38 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 86