Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153579 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Two Finished
« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2017, 12:17:12 pm »

Do I have a phone?  A computer?  A house?
You have...to read through the first pages of the RTD to know this. Basically, you have nothing other than your clothes, 50 euros, two clots of Puisaance, powers of witchery, and cheap shared housing.

Mind RPing as your character legitimately asking these questions?
I do mind, because the answers to these questions affect how I legitimately RP my character.  And if I have no implements of the trade for my mundane job, I'm wondering how I did it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2017, 12:38:21 pm »

You get yoinked out of the normal mortal reality when you join the Coven, and move onto a higher magical plane. You can still interfere with it, but are no longer truly part of it. The world rearranges itself so any job, home, bank accounts or family you used to have bears no evidence or relation to you. Like an incision healing and closing again after an organ has been removed.

You will have been stumbled across by Vince, who will have described the Coven, a magical organisation, and will have offered you the opportunity to join. Provided you actually want to play, you said yes, and are now at Vince's house. Vince has just given you a weapon list and a scroll that you can swap with a magical being for free low-quality magical liquids.

Turn soonish but I'm still thinking about M3.
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:03 pm »

((I was planning lots of boring scutwork and doing things very differently.  May I spend some time on that instead of jumping into the next mission?))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 11, 2017, 06:19:29 pm »

You get yoinked out of the normal mortal reality when you join the Coven, and move onto a higher magical plane. You can still interfere with it, but are no longer truly part of it. The world rearranges itself so any job, home, bank accounts or family you used to have bears no evidence or relation to you. Like an incision healing and closing again after an organ has been removed.

You will have been stumbled across by Vince, who will have described the Coven, a magical organisation, and will have offered you the opportunity to join. Provided you actually want to play, you said yes, and are now at Vince's house. Vince has just given you a weapon list and a scroll that you can swap with a magical being for free low-quality magical liquids.

Hmm.

Would I have kept the items I had on my person?

Either way, offer to help Vince with any electronics stuff he needs done.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:22:49 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »

Hmm.

Would I have kept the items I had on my person?

Either way, offer to help Vince with any electronics stuff he needs done.
Vince already has an undead IT guy. If you want to get into the technical side of things, a relevant pendant or wand could help with tech stuff in the field.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:22 pm »

There are never enough IT guys.  Especially not competent ones...

Well anyway, time to think.

Does Vince have any old hardware around I could rummage through?
Sigtext

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 13, 2017, 04:08:50 am »

I'm going to head off to the magic market, and look for a gun...
The market is packed as usual. Man, do these stallholders even sleep?

Guns, eh? Wub fur and golden fleece microweave armour, no... reality-altering drugs, no... triple-distilled tree spirits, no... turtle cult evangelists, no... Aha!

The gunfamer's stall is a wide ring of tables, loaded with gleaming and often insane weapons in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some of the firearms on offer are completely ridiculous... RPGs with small arms attached... grenade launchers made for slinging across one's torso the size of a teenager... crazy. Likely rather expensive, and, well, alive.

The thrift stall is selling a bunch of manky small-brand handguns, with one dubious glock. Some of the pistols date back to the first world war, from the look of things.

An enthusiastic man whose stall is labelled simply "artifact procurer" offers to procure guns, among other things, from alternate dimensions. The "no refunds" sign is only slightly smaller than the stall itself. His customers come in several shapes and sizes, all of which look pretty desperate, even the slime mold. Many walk off confused or angry, but a reasonable number look relieved or even exulted, carrying weird and rare looking things.

Or you could look for even more stalls, if none of these appeal.

Go ahead and clot up the edgy katana as a staff.
Stacking magic effects, eh? Given that the katana is somewhat unreal (magical construct), and already a bit affected by magic, this won't be a very powerful weapon compared to, say, pretty much anything else you'd stumble across. Your call; maybe a showy and weak weapon is appropriate.

welp, let's be practical about this and allocate it to practicality. Then,try to tell if he's a normal or a magical. Tell him that some people in odd armor went up, started harassing a man, and then lit the building on fire while fighting with each other with some sort of explosive. Say that I don't know anything about gunshots or stab wounds, since to be fair I didn't actually get to stab anyone and obviously didn't have a gun. Ask them how bad the burns I suffered were.
The serviceman doesn't seem to have any magical powers.

While he believes you, he still wants to know what you were doing there. He's also curious about why you staggered out of the building wearing several pounds of scrap metal on your back, and what you were doing with a switchblade and half a car door in an apartment building that had nothing to do with you.

The doctor brings in a mirror so you can see your burns. They're... not pretty. Your face is just about recognisable beneath several scars. Thanks to natural magic and new technology, they're fading to thick and jagged white stripes across your face, but you're still permenantly disfigured, your temples contorted and lips constantly sneering.

Aw, no stat point or rune?

I mean, I suppose that surviving with only a lost leg is its own reward, but still.

Also, did I have that -3 to agility before the accident?

Pick up a tupperware container and fill it with the toad mucus and some battery acid. Turn it into a chalice.

Try to make a pegleg for myself, preferably out of a broom so that I can enchant it as one later.

Also, tell our boss the whole truth (and nothing but the truth) about what happened on the mission (from my perspective).

No, you did not.

Pegleg, hm? Clever...

Practicality: 2+3

You manage to tie Vince's only broom to your stump. It's awkard to walk on, and anyone who sees you will wonder why you're using a wooden broom as a peg-leg, but it'll do. Perhaps an iron cleaning implement might be more durable. You fall over a lot practicing, but can stumble along alright.

We'll assume Goethe or someone is kind enough to buy you a battery while you relearn to walk.

Going out into Vince's yard, you artfully extract the liquids in the battery and pour them into some of Vince's tupperware. The container will probably have an effect on your summon, just in case you weren't sure. If that changes things, you can do the initial summoning next turn.

You explain the details of the mission through the locked door. It's impossible to judge how Vince feels about your account.

Name:  Nanami Adachi. (Nanami)

Backstory: Somewhat socially awkward and marginalized through her life, Nanami looks to use magic to fuel her ambitions through social manipulation and fame.

Physical description: 18 year old young Japanese woman.

Spoiler: Statsheet (click to show/hide)
Right, we'll assume you ask Vince about the demonic deal and he sends you to Amdukias, the hellspawn in charge of the UK media. A meeting with Moloch (to mortals, Murdoch) would have been better, but one of his demonic subordinates will be sufficient.

Next to the towering glass Shard crackling with divine fire and lightening, the squat News Building is a series of shifting mirrors and panes of glass. In the presence of a magical adept, they smoothly roll aside, exposing a receding and dimly lit cavern. You ignore the mortal entrance and walk straight in, heading for whatever dug the tunnel. You pass by quite a few demons. Just about every animal body part, agricultural implement and weapon you've ever seen is put to use in their irregular anatomies. After what feels like hours of walking, you reach a waiting room at the end of the tunnel. Plainly decorated, walls an artful cream and windows looking out onto hard-packed dirt, it contains rows of mostly empty chairs. A few other magical humans sit around, refusing to meet your eye.

The secretary consists of a handsome human woman from the waist up, and a sleek many-limbed squid-thing below, the numerous appendages of which end in elegant styluses, gloves and digital devices. It'd be a pretty classy look if the human part was still alive. She (it?) camly notes your request and schedules you in for a meeting. An interminable amonut of time later, she waves you through a door at the opposite end of the room.

The first thing you see rotting horse head fifty feet long with a twenty foot broadcasting antennae thrust outwards through the bloodied forehead.

You stand on a metal scaffold above fathomless depths. Anything below the head is lost in smoke and shadow, save for the gigantic white human arm upon which it rests. The expansive walls stretching away above and below are made from thousands of speakers, constantly whispering and playing soft, off-key music. With a voice that nearly throws you from the platform, Amdukias asks what you wanted. The sounds comes from all around you.

You explain your request carefully and clearly. The demon king considers for a while, and then nods. A sheet of paper flutters down into your hands, and you examine it.

Firstly, you are given special permission to make permenant holes in the barrier of perception between the mortal world and the magical one.
Secondly, you have the right and ability to act as a god does, in harvesting power from the activities of mortals that consitute worship. In this case, you gain power from the viewing of media you produce documenting your exploits in the magical world.
Thirdly, you gain aspects and magical priviliges from the belief of mortals that you have those aspects and priviliges. This is similar to the position of congregatin-dependent gods.
Fourthly, you are entitled to any one of the following:
  • Possession of a banal weapon of your choice, not exceeding the power of a rocket launcher.
  • The answers to any six questions you may ask within the powers of the brilliant Paimon.
  • Inhuman skill in the art of seduction as granted to the succubi and incubi of hell.
  • Three chances to call upon the imps of hell to do your bidding.
Fifthly, you will be paid £300 in mortal money.

The second party, Amdukias, is entitled to half of any power you gain.
They are also entitled to one of the three options below (please choose one):
  • Frequent sacrifices of increasingly powerful sentient or magical beings, without which any profits on the part of the first party will be temporarily frozen. Sacrifice will not be considered valid without full invocation of Amdukias.
  • Partial conscription into the twenty-ninth legion of Amdukias, in which specific tasks may be set and must be carried out by the first party. Failure may result in the freezing of any profits, noncompliance with corporal or incorporeal punishment.
  • The full shifting of the first party's soul into the realm of the demonic, whereupon he will be twisted into a demon according to his nature unless he fulfils a chosen one of the two above options. The total loss of the first party's humanity can be considered as the end of any volition on their part.
The first party also bears a general moral obligation towards the second to carry out the works of hell and to work for the eventual damnation of all humanity. No retribution can be taken for failure to fulfil this obligation, but compliance may result in increased opportunities.

Time to make a choice. A quill pen and a scapel clink into existence on at your feet. Signing in blood it is.
There are never enough IT guys.  Especially not competent ones...

Well anyway, time to think.

Does Vince have any old hardware around I could rummage through?
((One bolded post per turn please. If necessary, edit older posts.))

Vince has a collection of outdated electronics in his attic. You rummage through it a little, then jump backwards as all the screens flash on.

"Hi! Hi! Haven't seen another Computer Seance expert in a while! Konrad von Ammenhausen at your service! I'm Vince's IT guy!"

The excited figure on the cracked and static-y screens is dressed in the habit of a monk, as far as you can make out.

"You're new here, right? If you need help with anything, just ask! Anywhere in the house! You want old electronics? I know a dump where you can find dead computers! Lots and lots of dead computers!"

He seems pretty friendly.

"Got to go help Vince build a map now! Good luck!"

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:16:17 am by NJW2000 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 13, 2017, 08:12:10 am »

Attempt to negotiate one additional clause, the ability to temporarily or permanently designate a portion of the power gained by me through the main clause instead to a proxy or an item or location.  Said power gain would still be subject to any halting of my personal gains.

Also, does permission to open holes between mortal viewing and the magical world extend to the power to open said holes? (temporary or permanently.)

In any case, yes or no to the addition of this clause, sign the deal, take the seductive power and the limited conscription option.

(I'm asking for it to only apply to new power gained, so that it can't be used to transfer existing power should the demon be displeased with my actions. it isn't an attempt to bypass censure through that method.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:42:56 pm by Devastator »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 13, 2017, 09:53:51 am »

First, ask/look around to see if there's anything I could use to write a journal on what's happened so far. Second, put the suit away somewhere, and leave a label saying it's mine/was obtained by me. Third, go to the magic market, and look around for the following 3 places:
1. A place to obtain slightly stronger magical liquids. I could use a good demon chalice.
2. Somewhere involving runes. Sure, us witches can discover them, but surely other folks can see and/or use them, right?
3. Somewhere where objects could be traded. I'm not sure if other witches could use my wands or pendants, but someone somewhere might find worth in breaking them down.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 13, 2017, 10:07:34 am »

didnt I ditch my shield and put it in the crate?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 13, 2017, 10:28:28 am »

Yeah, probably. Still had the switchblade though, and that's not something just anyone carries around.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 13, 2017, 10:45:13 am »

I'm going to see if the 'farmers have anything within my price range, and if not weather they have any jobs I can do to make up the remainder.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 13, 2017, 10:47:05 am »

That's... quite a bit bigger than what I was intending to use, but I can work with it.
say that I bought it for self defense purposes, but have not actually had to use it yet. As for scrap metal? I have to find a way to get money somehow. I'm not a citizen of the U.K., and can't exactly get a job easily, now can I? Bad enough I have to eventually get a plane or boat ticket back to the US on scrap metal collection and sales. Speaking of sales, I was going to ask around about places to sell my metal.
Might as well provide proof of purchase for my switchblade, or at least give the shop name for it.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 13, 2017, 11:53:56 am »

Do eet.

Scavenge some gold out of a broken phone or something, then use my paintbrush-wand to create large amounts of gold. Redeem this gold for some money at a Cash For Gold business.

Go wandering around London, looking for interesting/helpful/useful magical stuff. If I find demons, inquire as to what contracts they'd be willing to offer me.

Can we drain clots from each other if the person who is "donating" the clot does so voluntarily?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:43:21 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2017, 04:03:58 pm »

Eh. Put a second clot into the roomba, then. Mount up and hoverboard around the city, looking for opportunities. Something involving profit, as I don't have any money.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 86