Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3535 3536 [3537] 3538 3539 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4152364 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53040 on: July 14, 2024, 12:29:41 am »

I think any and all speculation on the identity of the shooter is kinda pointless when not even a day has passed. We don't know nearly enough for an acceptable conclusion yet.

I'd wait a few days before trusting literally anything.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53041 on: July 14, 2024, 01:08:54 am »

The FBI has released the identity of the shooter, who was a 20 year old registered Republican from Pittsburgh.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53042 on: July 14, 2024, 01:20:51 am »

It seems like everyone in American politics is incompetent, even assassins...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53043 on: July 14, 2024, 01:22:34 am »

The FBI has released the identity of the shooter, who was a 20 year old registered Republican from Pittsburgh.
Yep that's the guy, from Bethel Park. Feels like they opened his wallet to get that info, so not much depth yet. Some info on his voting history and donations are available.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53044 on: July 14, 2024, 01:24:52 am »

Huh.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53045 on: July 14, 2024, 02:14:35 am »

If the shooter was a former trump supporter, that would explain a lot.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #53046 on: July 14, 2024, 04:07:09 am »

Anyway , compared with Biden, Trump is more interesting , talkative and active.In my humble and laughable opinion, America , like other western countries , is a legal country the president’s effect to the American polities is even more limited than other countries which relys on the human rule . Whether it is the Democracy or the Republic party, their attitudes to China are always not so good, so why not have a joking president who looks like a clown , during the years when Trump was in power, he provided a lot of jokes such as ‘using disinfectant to fight against COVID-19‘.

In other words , Trump is a Pacifist (maybe) , if he comes to the White House, the whole world could calm down from the warring time . The whole world’s upper class are friends, the only losers during the war are always the commoners.
Dear Lord Shonus, even in the communist Party there are always a lot of traitors, you can’t deny that there are no traitors in capitalism Party, whose cohesive force is weaker than the communist one…
My words may be foolish, maybe the reason is because I don’t have the experience of democratic voting.
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53047 on: July 14, 2024, 05:06:08 am »

Just because our democratic institutions are stronger than those of some other places doesn't mean that we shouldn't care if they're being weakened, right? We like those and would like them to remain in place. And trump has done things to try to weaken our democracy in the past like january 6 and he has vowed to do the same in the future if he's elected. And I don't really consider that worth having a president who's more "talkative", however entertaining he can be. :p
But yeah, it's probably fair enough to say that the outcome won't be that different for you, personally.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #53048 on: July 14, 2024, 05:24:48 am »

In other words , Trump is a Pacifist (maybe) , if he comes to the White House, the whole world could calm down from the warring time . The whole world’s upper class are friends, the only losers during the war are always the commoners.
This is obviously not true. Trump almost triggered a full blown war against Iran.  And if you ask me Trump's the more likely of the two to end up bringing the US into a war with China because he's a hothead who's absolutely shit at diplomacy. He'd be the more likely of the two to either start an attack prematurely or maneuver himself into a situation where war is unavoidable.

The whole thing about Trump being a pacifist was largely a GOP meme.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53049 on: July 14, 2024, 06:03:55 am »

Not forgetting his schisophrenic attitude to North Korea (best buds or threatening war); arguably making things worse in Yemen/etc; definitely making things locally worse the way he pushed for the leaving of Afghanistan; if he played a part in delaying Russia's ideas with the whole of Ukraine then it wasn't because he was rationally drawing a red line; he tore up other treaties, including on the control of nuclear weapons; he at also least suggested that arbitrary hurricanes could be 'nuked' (whether that'd be better or worse than being bleached...)

If he had any stabilising influence, it was because everyone wanted to see him stop rocking the boat before they got on with their own personal boarding actions against it. The threats made against China were probably more shrewdly ignored, powerhouse as it is (and, as seen, thriving on the reinforced connections with the bits of the world outside, or cast adrift from, the US's world influence), but it still probably kept them guessing what trade-/diplomatic-stance they'd have to deal with from one day to the next...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 06:05:34 am by Starver »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53050 on: July 14, 2024, 06:13:19 am »

Trump's impulsive.  He isnt a 'warmonger' or 'peacekeeper' or anything.

He sees something people say they want, he's liable to start making moves that are aggressive and imply he holds the cards.  He learned over his career that by upsetting the status quo he can go after a larger chunk of pie and it doesnt have to be everything or even most of what he wants, what matters is that its vaguely something he can claim is 'more'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53051 on: July 14, 2024, 06:20:55 am »

Did the assassination attempt of Ronald Reagan help bolster his reelection campaign?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #53052 on: July 14, 2024, 06:50:08 am »

Sorry, I’m not intended to offend, my words make me sound like an idiot or troll. I’d apologize for my silly words .

Anyway, now everyone here in China are joking about the meme of Abe ,Kennedy and Trump getting shot. Keychains about the three unlucky guys are even made. They are making the miserable accidents into joking dramas … From what you bay watchers described, Trump’s victory of the election sounds like a disaster. I am just hoping that he could be more normal after his enter into the White House, which could make his destruction to the American government system more slight. Anyway we are commoners. We just need a calm life .
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53053 on: July 14, 2024, 07:07:45 am »

It sounds like you think trump is better suited for the role of president than biden is.  or do you just not know that much about biden?

You dont live in the same hemisphere or speak english natively.  You probably know more about our politicians than i do about chinese though.  Its not fair to call you an idiot; besides i rather appreciate the outside perspective

p:  as a registered republican myself, and self described 'center right' (though definitely more center compared to today's polarized politics) i think trump is too impulsive and lacks a real spine for reform.  the worst kind of leader is one who wants to make change but is too insecure to do so confidently or with a view of the future
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 07:09:55 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53054 on: July 14, 2024, 07:41:03 am »

Whether it is the Democracy or the Republic party, their attitudes to China are always not so good, so why not have a joking president who looks like a clown , during the years when Trump was in power, he provided a lot of jokes such as ‘using disinfectant to fight against COVID-19‘.
One of the unfortunate things about trump is that he's not actually joking with much of what he says. When he's not just being addled, he's a pretty good example of the old quote attributed to Sartre about antisemites* (which isn't, like, surprising, because trump has an open history of being one). It can be hard to tell, sometimes, because he's also a compulsive and incessant liar, but it's common for things he says as a "joke" to be trotted out at another time in absolute seriousness and actively pursued as a policy point.

... for what it's worth, there's a fairly well known phenomena when it comes to non-english speaking regions for translations of trump to basically get whitewashed, translators badly mangling the words he says in order for them to make some kind of sense in the language they're being translated to... because they don't even make sense in English, and translating them faithfully makes it look like the nonsense it is. It's had a decent effect in distorting foreign impression of the man, making it come across as being more coherent than he actually is.

Spoiler: the quote in question (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3535 3536 [3537] 3538 3539 ... 3563