Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4155001 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52890 on: July 03, 2024, 05:43:13 pm »

This is correct. Prosecuting the President personally for misuse of power is only one safeguard, albeit a very important one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52891 on: July 03, 2024, 05:57:21 pm »

That's not how anything in the real world works. The boss says it is so until someone fights him hard on it and wins that's what he's gonna do.

It doesn't matter if it does or doesn't because Trump is gonna say it does and then drag it out in court for years and years while he does whatever he feels like doing while calling it an official act whether it is or not. Then he'll just appoint more supreme court justices to rule however he wants and they'll say it is official after he's been doing whatever he wants for years.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4751339-donald-trump-attorney-fake-electors-scheme-official-act-immunity-decision/

What if Trump says the law says he can do whatever he wants or that he can just put in new elector people or whoever to vote for him? He's done it multiple times. What if Biden does the same thing? What if whoever is next does the same thing? Who the heck knows, because they just made this stuff up. And if either one of them does it and says it is an official act, what are any of us gonna do about it? Nothing, that's what. We're talking about a president running a country here. He can command the military as commander in chief.

Who wants to be the one that goes right up to Trump or Biden and say "Excuse me Mr. President Sir, but what you're doing isn't an official act."
What if he decides to detain you forever and alleges who knows what against you to invent a reason. We have no idea at all how this would actually be like enforced in the real world. What if Trump just says he's immune from everything because everything is an official act. He doesn't care and he wants to do what he wants to do. Are the police going to arrest a sitting president if he breaks the law and someone thinks it isn't an official act or whatever? Is a cop car going to pull up to the White House and go right in to cuff the president or something? You know it won't go down like that. He's gonna do whatever and maybe after he drags it out for years it might or might not have been ok, but he already did it. Kinda like how he separated immigrant families and took those immigrant kids away from their parents. He did it and nothing happened to him. Same thing.

Trump's already done this a lot because he says "Article II" lets him do whatever.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-insists-constitution-allows-do-whatever-want-1444235

"Look, Article II [of the Constitution], I would be allowed to fire Robert Mueller," he asserted. "Assuming I did all the things... Number one, I didn't. He wasn't fired ... But more importantly, Article II allows me to do whatever I want. Article II would have allowed me to fire him," Trump claimed.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/854487/trump-have-article-2-where-have-right-whatever-want-president
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/23/trump-falsely-tells-auditorium-full-teens-constitution-gives-him-right-do-whatever-i-want/
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/07/23/rep-sean-maloney-trump-not-above-the-law-sot-ebof-vpx.cnn
https://www.nationalmemo.com/in-abc-interview-trump-says-article-ii-allows-me-to-do-whatever-i-want

In a combative interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, President Donald Trump brought up special counsel Robert Mueller’s report on links between his campaign and Russia in a bizarre effort to explain why he’s angered by internal polling that shows him trailing Joe Biden in 2020 battleground states.

During the interview, Trump accused former White House counsel Don McGahn of lying under oath about the president’s efforts to fire Mueller, “because he wanted to make himself look like a good lawyer.” Trump then brought up Article II of the Constitution, which he claimed gave him the authority to fire the special counsel.

Article II allows me to do whatever I want,” Trump insisted.

Pressed on his argument that Article II of the Constitution grants him broad powers to obstruct justice, Trump told Stephanopolous to “read” Article II.

I’m just saying a president under Article II — it’s very strong,” Trump said. “Read it. Do you have Article II? Read it.” (Actually, Article II, Section 3 says that the president “shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.”)

That's from ABC news like years ago.

What do you mean any of us get to say anything like anybody is gonna listen to us, or anybody else that's an average person? Trump doesn't care, man.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 06:06:23 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52892 on: July 03, 2024, 06:14:22 pm »

That's not how anything in the real world works. The boss says it is so until someone fights him hard on it and wins that's what he's gonna do.

It doesn't matter if it does or doesn't because Trump is gonna say it does and then drag it out in court for years and years while he does whatever he feels like doing while calling it an official act whether it is or not. Then he'll just appoint more supreme court justices to rule however he wants and they'll say it is official after he's been doing whatever he wants for years.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4751339-donald-trump-attorney-fake-electors-scheme-official-act-immunity-decision/

What if Trump says the law says he can do whatever he wants or that he can just put in new elector people or whoever to vote for him? He's done it multiple times. What if Biden does the same thing? What if whoever is next does the same thing? Who the heck knows, because they just made this stuff up. And if either one of them does it and says it is an official act, what are any of us gonna do about it? Nothing, that's what. We're talking about a president running a country here. He can command the military as commander in chief.

Who wants to be the one that goes right up to Trump or Biden and say "Excuse me Mr. President Sir, but what you're doing isn't an official act."
What if he decides to detain you forever and alleges who knows what against you to invent a reason. We have no idea at all how this would actually be like enforced in the real world. What if Trump just says he's immune from everything because everything is an official act. He doesn't care and he wants to do what he wants to do. Are the police going to arrest a sitting president if he breaks the law and someone thinks it isn't an official act or whatever? Is a cop car going to pull up to the White House and go right in to cuff the president or something? You know it won't go down like that. He's gonna do whatever and maybe after he drags it out for years it might or might not have been ok, but he already did it. Kinda like how he separated immigrant families and took those immigrant kids away from their parents. He did it and nothing happened to him. Same thing.

Trump's already done this a lot because he says "Article II" lets him do whatever.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-insists-constitution-allows-do-whatever-want-1444235

"Look, Article II [of the Constitution], I would be allowed to fire Robert Mueller," he asserted. "Assuming I did all the things... Number one, I didn't. He wasn't fired ... But more importantly, Article II allows me to do whatever I want. Article II would have allowed me to fire him," Trump claimed.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/854487/trump-have-article-2-where-have-right-whatever-want-president
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/23/trump-falsely-tells-auditorium-full-teens-constitution-gives-him-right-do-whatever-i-want/
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/07/23/rep-sean-maloney-trump-not-above-the-law-sot-ebof-vpx.cnn
https://www.nationalmemo.com/in-abc-interview-trump-says-article-ii-allows-me-to-do-whatever-i-want

In a combative interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, President Donald Trump brought up special counsel Robert Mueller’s report on links between his campaign and Russia in a bizarre effort to explain why he’s angered by internal polling that shows him trailing Joe Biden in 2020 battleground states.

During the interview, Trump accused former White House counsel Don McGahn of lying under oath about the president’s efforts to fire Mueller, “because he wanted to make himself look like a good lawyer.” Trump then brought up Article II of the Constitution, which he claimed gave him the authority to fire the special counsel.

Pressed on his argument that Article II of the Constitution grants him broad powers to obstruct justice, Trump told Stephanopolous to “read” Article II.

I’m just saying a president under Article II — it’s very strong,” Trump said. “Read it. Do you have Article II? Read it.” (Actually, Article II, Section 3 says that the president “shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.”)

What do you mean any of us get to say anything like anybody is gonna listen to us, or anybody else that's an average person? Trump doesn't care, man.
The President is not "the boss" of the government.

You ask "is a cop car going to pull up to the White House and go right in to cuff the president or something?" -- well, yes, the US Marshals would do just that if required by law. That's what would happen if a President gets impeached.

Your whole "the President has the power and might would make right" argument fundamentally hasn't changed in any way based on any Supreme Court decision, since, as you say, the President could just ignore the Court or appoint new Justices until they say what he wants. Somehow, even after four years of Trump already, that never happened. Have you ever heard the saying, "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"?

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52893 on: July 03, 2024, 07:08:57 pm »

You ask "is a cop car going to pull up to the White House and go right in to cuff the president or something?" -- well, yes, the US Marshals would do just that if required by law. That's what would happen if a President gets impeached.

Your whole "the President has the power and might would make right" argument fundamentally hasn't changed in any way based on any Supreme Court decision, since, as you say, the President could just ignore the Court or appoint new Justices until they say what he wants. Somehow, even after four years of Trump already, that never happened. Have you ever heard the saying, "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"?

Really? That's what you got out of that? Even in perfect on paper world, nope. Go ahead and say it does.

Really? Because I just cited multiple news sources saying Trump says Article II says he is. That is what he is going to say again, because he already said it.  Whether he is  right or not doesn't matter, because he's going to force the issue, do whatever the heck he wants while calling it an official act, and then it can go through the courts for years to see if it is an official act. He is the Commander in Chief of the Military when president like any other president. He's gonna say he's the boss of government and now there's one less thing to restrain him.

Again, he literally took children away from their parents at the border and nothing happened. He'd say that's an official act too. Now he can't be criminally charged for much of anything.

Impeachment? Really? You think that's possible? You think that will stop anything? Trump's own party said he did wrong but they didn't care. They wanted power and removing him would have ended up losing them power. So, they didn't remove him, even though .....
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-trump-impeachment-vote-senate-speech/

McConnell said the former president was "practically and morally responsible" for the attack on the Capitol on January 6. Said he did it but didn't convict by impeachment. Now no criminal worries either is a green light to do whatever as far as he cares.

Well, no. You can say that all you want but now good luck.

What if the president orders the U.S. Marines to restrain the Marshal because he says someone is plotting against him to steal an election, or a "weaponized court system" on "made up charges" or something like all the other stuff Trump has totally said over and over, what then? Remember, the Commander in Chief has the immunity, as President if he says it is an official act and they later agree with him for whatever reason. Those poor marines don't have immunity from anything. Disobeying orders in the military is a serious offense and the consequences can be bad.
https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/USCODE-2011-title10/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partII-chap47-subchapX-sec892

Let's say the marshals or whoever, come up to arrest a president who just does not want to be arrested and who has all the Marines he can find around him. He orders the marines as commander in chief to prevent the arrest however they have to. Keep this example in mind for the next part.

It gets worse, Once Trump does Schedule F to make any federal employee like that Marshal able to be fired basically at will, then he will retaliate against the Marshal for arresting him, which is just the Marshal doing his job. Yeah, the pressure goes both ways.

Yeah, it does. Now he gets to argue the orders he gave to prevent the arrest were an official act and try to get immunity for it. The whole point is that it makes it easier for him to pull that off.

Somehow, even after four years of Trump already, that never happened.

January 6th.....

You know, I keep forgetting a bunch of the people just pretend that didn't happen, or it was Antifa (it was Trump's followers who got arrested for doing it), and then it wasn't an insurrection, and then whatever they want to reframe it as. It was an insurrection. They threatened to hang Mike Pence.... It was  a mob. They were trying to overturn a legit election.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:30:22 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52894 on: July 03, 2024, 08:05:15 pm »

Really? That's what you got out of that? Even in perfect on paper world, nope. Go ahead and say it does.

Really? Because I just cited multiple news sources saying Trump says Article II says he is. That is what he is going to say again, because he already said it.  Whether he is  right or not doesn't matter, because he's going to force the issue, do whatever the heck he wants while calling it an official act, and then it can go through the courts for years to see if it is an official act. He is the Commander in Chief of the Military when president like any other president. He's gonna say he's the boss of government and now there's one less thing to restrain him.

Again, he literally took children away from their parents at the border and nothing happened. He'd say that's an official act too. Now he can't be criminally charged for much of anything.

Impeachment? Really? You think that's possible? You think that will stop anything? Trump's own party said he did wrong but they didn't care. They wanted power and removing him would have ended up losing them power. So, they didn't remove him, even though .....
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-trump-impeachment-vote-senate-speech/

McConnell said the former president was "practically and morally responsible" for the attack on the Capitol on January 6. Said he did it but didn't convict by impeachment. Now no criminal worries either is a green light to do whatever as far as he cares.

Well, no. You can say that all you want but now good luck.

What if the president orders the U.S. Marines to restrain the Marshal because he says someone is plotting against him to steal an election, or a "weaponized court system" on "made up charges" or something like all the other stuff Trump has totally said over and over, what then? Remember, the Commander in Chief has the immunity, as President if he says it is an official act and they later agree with him for whatever reason. Those poor marines don't have immunity from anything. Disobeying orders in the military is a serious offense and the consequences can be bad.
https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/USCODE-2011-title10/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partII-chap47-subchapX-sec892

Let's say the marshals or whoever, come up to arrest a president who just does not want to be arrested and who has all the Marines he can find around him. He orders the marines as commander in chief to prevent the arrest however they have to. Keep this example in mind for the next part.

It gets worse, Once Trump does Schedule F to make any federal employee like that Marshal able to be fired basically at will, then he will retaliate against the Marshal for arresting him, which is just the Marshal doing his job. Yeah, the pressure goes both ways.

Yeah, it does. Now he gets to argue the orders he gave to prevent the arrest were an official act and try to get immunity for it. The whole point is that it makes it easier for him to pull that off.

Somehow, even after four years of Trump already, that never happened.

January 6th.....

You know, I keep forgetting a bunch of the people just pretend that didn't happen, or it was Antifa (it was Trump's followers who got arrested for doing it), and then it wasn't an insurrection, and then whatever they want to reframe it as. It was an insurrection. They threatened to hang Mike Pence.... It was  a mob. They were trying to overturn a legit election.
Okay, so your problem isn't with the supreme court decision, it's with the people electing a President and Congress you don't like. That's fair, but you're acting like the decision changes anything when it self-evidently doesn't. "oh he could ARGUE it was an official act and try to get immunity for it", so what? If he's (along with his party to back him up) out of power the courts can just say it isn't and if he's in power he could pack the courts however he wanted anyway, regardless of immunity. There's nothing new, a President with a supportive Congress and judiciary was ALREADY effectively consequence-free while in power. I mean, look, we've had Presidents order the killing of American citizens in blatant violation of the Constitution already. This is one of the understood dangers of democracy going back to Plato.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52895 on: July 03, 2024, 08:12:57 pm »

Okay, so your problem isn't with the supreme court decision, it's with the people electing a President and Congress you don't like. That's fair, but you're acting like the decision changes anything when it self-evidently doesn't. "oh he could ARGUE it was an official act and try to get immunity for it", so what? If he's (along with his party to back him up) out of power the courts can just say it isn't and if he's in power he could pack the courts however he wanted anyway, regardless of immunity. There's nothing new, a President with a supportive Congress and judiciary was ALREADY effectively consequence-free while in power. I mean, look, we've had Presidents order the killing of American citizens in blatant violation of the Constitution already. This is one of the understood dangers of democracy going back to Plato.

I'm just gonna say once more that you glossed over January 6th, and that's people who had a problem with President being elected they didn't like, not me.

No to everything you just said, but feel free to put words in my mouth like you just did. I said nothing anything like that. Everything I'm saying is legit and sourced with many news articles, but you've decided to go off on this ridiculousness. You don't like that I'm right so rather than make any point you just go after me by putting words in my mouth. Worrying about the most powerful man in the country having even less safeguards from a new immunity ruling from SCOTUS is legit. What you're doing isn't discussing. You've ignored all the facts and sources I cited while providing nothing but your own insisting that all the facts don't matter.

You can continue talking, and you can tell yourself you had the last word. I don't care. I'm not participating, because you aren't. Bye. Ignored. Not reading anything else you write, because of how you acted.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 08:28:45 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52896 on: July 03, 2024, 08:45:03 pm »

I'm just gonna say once more that you glossed over January 6th, and that's people who had a problem with President being elected they didn't like, not me.

No to everything you just said, but feel free to put words in my mouth like you just did. I said nothing anything like that. Everything I'm saying is legit and sourced with many news articles, but you've decided to go off on this ridiculousness. You don't like that I'm right so rather than make any point you just go after me by putting words in my mouth. Worrying about the most powerful man in the country having even less safeguards from a new immunity ruling from SCOTUS is legit. What you're doing isn't discussing. You've ignored all the facts and sources I cited while providing nothing but your own insisting that all the facts don't matter.
Everything you said is things the President could already do - not de jure, which doesn't matter, but de facto - and the remedy, impeachment, hasn't changed. If Congress doesn't want to impeach, the remedy for that is to elect a new Congress. There were no "safeguards" that were removed by SCOTUS. The only safeguards were norms, the assumption that the American people would not vote for a President who would do those things, and would not elect a Congress that would support it. If the people do, then the problem is that, not a minor procedural Supreme Court opinion.

By the way, if the President orders a military serviceman to do something unlawful, the serviceman actually has a legal duty NOT to follow the order. This was established by the courts after My Lai. You cannot legally be punished for refusing to follow an unlawful order. This was, of course, the reason why there were a couple of cases of military officials who openly stated they had not followed orders from Trump in certain contexts.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 09:05:25 pm by Maximum Spin »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52897 on: July 03, 2024, 11:42:21 pm »

There were no "safeguards" that were removed by SCOTUS. The only safeguards were norms, the assumption that the American people would not vote for a President who would do those things, and would not elect a Congress that would support it. If the people do, then the problem is that, not a minor procedural Supreme Court opinion.

This goes too far. Holding the President criminally liable for improper actions was in fact an important safeguard even if it has never been used, and the Court did in fact heavily degrade the ability to do that. You're correct in that it isn't the only one we had, and that the other bulwarks remain intact, but we did materially lose protections against a rogue president.

I don't think the consequences will be nearly as bad as a lot of people are predicting, not least because the case that lead here is being sent back to the lower courts and will likely wind up relitigated.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52898 on: July 04, 2024, 12:46:37 am »

Everything you said is things the President could already do - not de jure, which doesn't matter, but de facto - and the remedy, impeachment, hasn't changed. If Congress doesn't want to impeach, the remedy for that is to elect a new Congress. There were no "safeguards" that were removed by SCOTUS. The only safeguards were norms, the assumption that the American people would not vote for a President who would do those things, and would not elect a Congress that would support it. If the people do, then the problem is that, not a minor procedural Supreme Court opinion.

By the way, if the President orders a military serviceman to do something unlawful, the serviceman actually has a legal duty NOT to follow the order. This was established by the courts after My Lai. You cannot legally be punished for refusing to follow an unlawful order. This was, of course, the reason why there were a couple of cases of military officials who openly stated they had not followed orders from Trump in certain contexts.

Dude, you are being way too intense about all this while talking past people rudely and ignoring points they make so you can call them just wrong with no proof or source. You're turning people off and kinda killing the whole place's mood on talking about stuff. Some of those links he put up are scary, because Trump did say that stuff. We all saw it on TV. A lot of people are worried about this. It isn't just some BS thing and this is going to be a big deal that will shape a lot of stuff real quick for who is running the U.S. You're acting like anybody who disagrees with you is completely out of line for having a different opinion.

I had long term relationships with a lot of military guys (men in uniform can be sexy). Plus, you make a lot of friends with military spouses. You make it sound like it's cut and dry to disobey an order, but they want you following orders and not second guessing if you are enlisted. If you guess wrong and say your CO is giving you an unlawful order when it's a lawful order, then it goes real bad real fast. My Lai is only when you're being ordered to round up hundreds of civilian survivors of a raid to massacre. Big difference between some crazy Lieutenant saying that and the U.S. President telling you to do something he says is lawful, because he says somebody else is doing something unlawful. There's no way that isn't going to be confusing. Do you listen to the guy trying to arrest the President or the President, because either way you are screwed. I would not want my guy between that rock and hard place. You don't question your 1st Sgt easily, much less the President without seriously risking bad stuff for you. It is not easy at all and the people in the military get crapped on all the time. You gonna risk being dishonorably discharged and all the other crap they can do to you? That poor guy just wants his family life not to go to crap while he's serving and has to be put in the middle of that stuff? I feel bad for the poor guy how far out of boot who has to figure that one out.

Even if you end up being right about your CO being wrong, they can NJP you or draw up UCMJ charges against you, or just make your life unbearable until you prove you were right and your CO was wrong. That's if you even can.

The founders didn't want a king and there are a lot of people saying putting a President above the law creates just that. No way he could do all this before this ruling. Somebody else here mentioned Nixon who had to resign from being President in shame over stuff he did and possible criminal charges. Bottom line, nobody is gonna wanna play with you if you keep playing not nice.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 12:53:54 am by femmelf »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52899 on: July 04, 2024, 02:18:12 am »

Well, Nixon resigned because he was going to be impeached, and his VP pardoned him.

He wouldn’t have been able to pardon him if he had been impeached.

MaxSpin’s argument is based on theory, I would say. In theory a Trump presidency is going to be hamstrung by all the checks and balances, but I think he’s going to be pushing the boundaries of what is and is not acceptable, and I don’t think those C & B’s are going to stop him trying to do things he in theory shouldn’t be able to do.

He has been talking a lot about how he’ll go after his political opponents on the basis they were going after him, I think he mentioned (and is certainly a goal of Project 2025) that he’ll gut administrative appointments and replace them with political ones, and probably a bunch of other things.

How much of that is bravado is anyone’s guess, but if someone threatens to run me down in a vehicle, I don’t give him the keys to the car, you know?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52900 on: July 04, 2024, 03:32:18 am »

There were no "safeguards" that were removed by SCOTUS. The only safeguards were norms, the assumption that the American people would not vote for a President who would do those things, and would not elect a Congress that would support it. If the people do, then the problem is that, not a minor procedural Supreme Court opinion.

This goes too far. Holding the President criminally liable for improper actions was in fact an important safeguard even if it has never been used, and the Court did in fact heavily degrade the ability to do that. You're correct in that it isn't the only one we had, and that the other bulwarks remain intact, but we did materially lose protections against a rogue president.
I disagree that any such safeguard can be said to have existed when it was never used even when Presidents have explicitly broken the law, like by assassinating American citizens. For all intents and purposes, Presidents had a blank check if they stayed within the bounds of what Congress would support. Besides, it was always extremely likely that, if it ever came up, SCOTUS would decide that a President cannot be prosecuted for actions at the very least within core Constitutional powers, since that was implied by separation of powers doctrine going back decades - nobody has the standing.

Some of those links he put up are scary, because Trump did say that stuff. We all saw it on TV. A lot of people are worried about this.
Yeah, Trump said that stuff before this Supreme Court decision, so why do you think the Supreme Court decision changed anything? If you're scared of the possibility of another Trump Presidency, especially one with a likely supportive Congress, that's one thing, I'm just arguing that the new decision does not in fact give anyone any new power.

Big difference between some crazy Lieutenant saying that and the U.S. President telling you to do something he says is lawful, because he says somebody else is doing something unlawful. There's no way that isn't going to be confusing. Do you listen to the guy trying to arrest the President or the President, because either way you are screwed. I would not want my guy between that rock and hard place. You don't question your 1st Sgt easily, much less the President without seriously risking bad stuff for you. It is not easy at all and the people in the military get crapped on all the time. You gonna risk being dishonorably discharged and all the other crap they can do to you? That poor guy just wants his family life not to go to crap while he's serving and has to be put in the middle of that stuff? I feel bad for the poor guy how far out of boot who has to figure that one out.
But Presidents can already do that? This is, again, an argument against electing Presidents who might do terrible things, but nothing to do with the SCOTUS decision.
Also, My Lai also established that soldiers can only be guilty for following unlawful orders if they believed the order to be unlawful, or a reasonable person would believe the order to be unlawful, so if there is genuine room for uncertainty, erring on the side of following orders is safe for him. That may not be the ideal outcome societally, but it means the soldier cannot be gotcha'd into being on the hook like RPL implied.

The founders didn't want a king and there are a lot of people saying putting a President above the law creates just that. No way he could do all this before this ruling. Somebody else here mentioned Nixon who had to resign from being President in shame over stuff he did and possible criminal charges.
Nixon chose to resign to salvage his dignity, and then was pardoned, foreclosing any possibility of being charged anyway. But Nixon was forced out because Congress threatened to impeach him, which is a power that hasn't changed in any way, and SCOTUS explicitly acknowledged the prevailing legal theory that an impeachment would also open the door to prosecution (for non-core functions).

He has been talking a lot about how he’ll go after his political opponents on the basis they were going after him, I think he mentioned (and is certainly a goal of Project 2025) that he’ll gut administrative appointments and replace them with political ones, and probably a bunch of other things.
Thing is, that's always been legal. The President is head of the executive branch and gets to make the staffing decisions. Again, the safeguard here has been norms that nobody would elect a very bad President.

That's the real main theme I'm trying to express here. Not about the pure theory of checks and balances, but about not relying on de jure power to protect you in the face of de facto power.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52901 on: July 04, 2024, 07:40:14 am »

I disagree that any such safeguard can be said to have existed when it was never used even when Presidents have explicitly broken the law, like by assassinating American citizens. For all intents and purposes, Presidents had a blank check if they stayed within the bounds of what Congress would support. Besides, it was always extremely likely that, if it ever came up, SCOTUS would decide that a President cannot be prosecuted for actions at the very least within core Constitutional powers, since that was implied by separation of powers doctrine going back decades - nobody has the standing.

Some of those links he put up are scary, because Trump did say that stuff. We all saw it on TV. A lot of people are worried about this.
Yeah, Trump said that stuff before this Supreme Court decision, so why do you think the Supreme Court decision changed anything? If you're scared of the possibility of another Trump Presidency, especially one with a likely supportive Congress, that's one thing, I'm just arguing that the new decision does not in fact give anyone any new power.

Big difference between some crazy Lieutenant saying that and the U.S. President telling you to do something he says is lawful, because he says somebody else is doing something unlawful. There's no way that isn't going to be confusing. Do you listen to the guy trying to arrest the President or the President, because either way you are screwed. I would not want my guy between that rock and hard place. You don't question your 1st Sgt easily, much less the President without seriously risking bad stuff for you. It is not easy at all and the people in the military get crapped on all the time. You gonna risk being dishonorably discharged and all the other crap they can do to you? That poor guy just wants his family life not to go to crap while he's serving and has to be put in the middle of that stuff? I feel bad for the poor guy how far out of boot who has to figure that one out.
But Presidents can already do that? This is, again, an argument against electing Presidents who might do terrible things, but nothing to do with the SCOTUS decision.
Also, My Lai also established that soldiers can only be guilty for following unlawful orders if they believed the order to be unlawful, or a reasonable person would believe the order to be unlawful, so if there is genuine room for uncertainty, erring on the side of following orders is safe for him. That may not be the ideal outcome societally, but it means the soldier cannot be gotcha'd into being on the hook like RPL implied.

The founders didn't want a king and there are a lot of people saying putting a President above the law creates just that. No way he could do all this before this ruling. Somebody else here mentioned Nixon who had to resign from being President in shame over stuff he did and possible criminal charges.
Nixon chose to resign to salvage his dignity, and then was pardoned, foreclosing any possibility of being charged anyway. But Nixon was forced out because Congress threatened to impeach him, which is a power that hasn't changed in any way, and SCOTUS explicitly acknowledged the prevailing legal theory that an impeachment would also open the door to prosecution (for non-core functions).

Thing is, that's always been legal. The President is head of the executive branch and gets to make the staffing decisions. Again, the safeguard here has been norms that nobody would elect a very bad President.

That's the real main theme I'm trying to express here. Not about the pure theory of checks and balances, but about not relying on de jure power to protect you in the face of de facto power.

Well if you think floffles are boffles then..... This is classic abusive stuff. 

Yeah that didn't make sense, because that's what you're doing. I get it now. You are putting words in people's mouth that they didn't say, because you don't like and can't beat their arguments, so you're going to make other people's arguments for them that you think you can beat. Yeah, I get it now why people are just peeling out of here and away from this. I'm pretty close to bailing too.

Wow that's like saying....
There never was a fire extinguisher because the building never caught on fire. No one would vote to set the building on fire or vote for someone to set the building on fire. If someone votes to burn the building down, then that alone is the problem, not the thing that removed the fire extinguisher. Pay no attention to the 9 people in black robes removing the fire extinguisher, which as stated has never been used and was never there but they're removing it.

Because a president never broke the law and pushed the system this bad it was fine the whole time? No because the fire extinguisher was never there because someone could have burned down the building but didn't? Pay no attention to the fire extinguisher holder box they haven't removed yet ....Pay no attention to that arsonist saying he'll burn it down like he tried to last time.

Why should we care about things Trump said before like a week ago? Anything before like a week ago doesn't count? The universe reset and all the completely crazy things he said and did before this one Supreme Court Opinion just don't matter. Why would we ever consider those facts instead of some fantasy where he's hasn't done all the bad things he's done and has promised to do again but worse on video and in writing? And now there is a Supreme Court Opinion saying he can't be effectively prosecuted if he does crimes and that's just nothing to worry about?

You're "just" arguing the new decision doesn't give anybody any new power. Nope. Where? Where in the constitution did it say the President is immune from criminal prosecution? It does not say that and the Supreme Court made it up a brand new thing out of nothing. Where does it say this stuff about immunity from criminal prosecution in the constitution? It doesn't. Yeah, he could be impeached, but that does not have text saying he can't be prosecuted. That's huge and the founders would have said that if they wanted it.

Some people are trying to disguise a blatant power grab by saying it just never happened and was always like that. No. A million times no. This is gaslighting and it is B.S. they are using because the textualism originalism lie failed their BS agenda so now they are just making it up and getting rid of established cases. We don't want Trump or Biden or ANYONE having this new power, but just say I'm afraid of an elected Trump to make me seem unreasonable and partisan. It is a new thing because there is no text for it existing and no historical basis because the Founders did not want a king above the law. All the distinctions they just invented out of nothing and the test they made is totally new. The constitution does not say this and the words are not there.

You are ignoring real world things again and pretending things are cut and dry to fit your agenda. Soldiers get "gotcha'd" all the time. Nothing is safe for them. The idea that this is not going to screw over some poor soldier and that soldiers won't get put in this position with a new thing to worry about because of what the Supreme Court just did is nonsense.

Nixon chose to resign? Nixon chose to resign? Where on earth are you getting this from? He was forced to resign because they put his back against a wall and threatened Nixon with criminal charges. Nixon was afraid of those criminal charges because he thought he could be charged with those criminal charges, because he could and they were totally going to. The "choice" wasn't a choice, because if he did not resign he would've been impeached and charged by force, because this new bad Supreme Court case wasn't around yet.

Nixon wanted to salvage his dignity? Salvage his dignity? OMG where are you getting this? Even if that's the lie he told himself, Nixon wasn't left with any dignity after Watergate. Nixon is notorious even now. He didn't salvage anything like dignity and he didn't choose anything because he got forced with the threats from Watergate of way more than just impeachment.

Yeah, the guy famous for being corrupt did a backroom deal to get a Pardon by making his Vice President the President if he would PARDON him. There was crime and worry about criminal prosecution, and you can tell because of the Pardon. Nixon resigning would have gotten him out of impeachment, but the pardon went to making sure the prosecution did not prosecute him.

I'm sorry but OMG this is revisionist history so bad..... Nixon chose to give up power? Like he just decided and didn't have a great big gun to his head from both impeachment and prosecution addressed by resignation and pardon of the CRIME? No. I'm sorry just no. That's not what Nixon did, because he was forced and rigged a pardon to avoid criminal prosecution, because he could have been criminally prosecuted. If he had built in immunity then he wouldn't have bothered with the pardon?

"Thing is," no. Hector is right and you just declared him wrong. You can't just fire every one in government and substitute whoever you want as President. There's a big difference between agency appointments and political appointees. That's why Trump wants to make every federal employee able to be fired at will if he can. Why would Nixon go for getting himself pardoned? Because he knew he could be criminally prosecuted. Why would Trump want to make every federal employee he can able to be fired? Because he knows he can't currently legally fire them all and replace them with whoever he wants. Again, you're ignoring real world things people are saying and bringing up other things because you like those things better.

All of the stuff you're trying is just wow no, but the stuff about Nixon? Really? Plus the whole "You're right and I'm just afraid of Trump being elected" garbage? Again, we don't want Trump or Biden or anyone to have this new power that is not in the constitution's wording. You're gonna put more words in people's mouth and twist stuff I bet. Yeah, I think I'm bailing on this conversation too if that's how it's gonna be.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52902 on: July 04, 2024, 12:12:46 pm »

I mean… Nixon’s dignity was salvaged in that he wasn’t impeached, removing his immunity, then charged and convicted for the crimes he committed in office and marched to jail in chains or whatever. He did have a choice, but he decided to take the way out that guaranteed he’d not end up in jail.

MaxSpin isn’t saying anything controversial. The SCOTUS decision doesn’t really change anything, all it really did was clarify a little bit the immunity a president already has, and there are already things like impeachment that can remove that.

The only problem is that requires both houses in congress to impeach him, and we saw in the aftermath of Jan 6th that being scared of what their voters will do to them might make a particular congressperson or senator think twice about doing that, even if they were outwardly critical of Trump’s involvement in it.

He also isn't advocating for any of the bad things y’all are hypothesizing about, just that the bad things y’all are hypothesizing about could happen regardless of checks and balances if enough people within government support it. Deterrents don’t work if they won’t actually be applied.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52903 on: July 04, 2024, 02:05:03 pm »

Well if you think floffles are boffles then..... This is classic abusive stuff. 

Yeah that didn't make sense, because that's what you're doing. I get it now. You are putting words in people's mouth that they didn't say, because you don't like and can't beat their arguments, so you're going to make other people's arguments for them that you think you can beat. Yeah, I get it now why people are just peeling out of here and away from this. I'm pretty close to bailing too.
I genuinely do not understand what you're talking about. I'm not even trying to beat any arguments. I'm not suggesting your feelings are invalid in any way. I just want to make sure the blame is in the right place.

Wow that's like saying....
There never was a fire extinguisher because the building never caught on fire. No one would vote to set the building on fire or vote for someone to set the building on fire. If someone votes to burn the building down, then that alone is the problem, not the thing that removed the fire extinguisher. Pay no attention to the 9 people in black robes removing the fire extinguisher, which as stated has never been used and was never there but they're removing it.

Because a president never broke the law and pushed the system this bad it was fine the whole time? No because the fire extinguisher was never there because someone could have burned down the building but didn't? Pay no attention to the fire extinguisher holder box they haven't removed yet ....Pay no attention to that arsonist saying he'll burn it down like he tried to last time.
A fire extinguisher is an object. It is either there or not there, surely. A legal theory isn't an object and doesn't exist until it's tested. Most constitutional scholars agreed for generations that there was no chance of any SCOTUS ruling that the President could be criminally charged for performing Presidential duties because the Constitution forbids any coequal branch of government from limiting the power of any other.
Presidents have already set fires, like suborning a memorandum from a cabinet member justifying torture. Nobody reached for the fire extinguisher then because it was understood that it wouldn't work. In a sense, what I'm saying is the opposite of what hector described it as before - not that checks and balances are in place, but that, beyond a certain point, there aren't any de jure checks and balances. Our government was never designed to be turned against itself like this.

Why should we care about things Trump said before like a week ago? Anything before like a week ago doesn't count? The universe reset and all the completely crazy things he said and did before this one Supreme Court Opinion just don't matter. Why would we ever consider those facts instead of some fantasy where he's hasn't done all the bad things he's done and has promised to do again but worse on video and in writing? And now there is a Supreme Court Opinion saying he can't be effectively prosecuted if he does crimes and that's just nothing to worry about?
It's not "nothing to worry about". It's just that nothing has changed from a week ago. You should go on worrying the same amount as before. The Supreme Court decision is a distraction. From a Con Law standpoint, it was uncontroversial - nobody in Washington seriously thought the President could be prosecuted for performing official duties. This doesn't even mean that Presidents can't be prosecuted, it means they can only be prosecuted for acts Congress can lawfully criminalize.
Consider this. The Constitution says that the President is the Commander-in-Chief of the Army. If Congress passed a law appointing a new official as Commander-in-Chief and forbidding the President from issuing any orders to the armed forces, it would be self-evident that this is unconstitutional and the President could not be prosecuted for breaking that law by issuing orders, right? Because the Constitution says he has that power and Congress is not granted the power to take it away.

You're "just" arguing the new decision doesn't give anybody any new power. Nope. Where? Where in the constitution did it say the President is immune from criminal prosecution? It does not say that and the Supreme Court made it up a brand new thing out of nothing. Where does it say this stuff about immunity from criminal prosecution in the constitution? It doesn't. Yeah, he could be impeached, but that does not have text saying he can't be prosecuted. That's huge and the founders would have said that if they wanted it.
You start with "The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.", the first sentence of Article II. Under that principle, the President has what's called plenary power over the executive. The President is the Executive and nobody else can take that power away. Second, you take the principle that no branch of the government has powers not granted to it by the Constitution. No part of the Constitution grants the Congress, nor the Courts, the power to criminalize executive actions, except through impeachment. Therefore, under separation of powers doctrine, no other branch has the power to criminalize executive actions. Any law that purports to criminalize executive actions would be void because unconstitutional. And if you're wondering, the Founding Fathers DID say, in the Federalist Papers, that it was meant to work out that way.

We don't want Trump or Biden or ANYONE having this new power, but just say I'm afraid of an elected Trump to make me seem unreasonable and partisan.
Oh, is this why you think I'm "putting words in your mouth"? I thought being afraid of an elected Trump sounds pretty reasonable. I mean I don't think Biden is going to do any of those things you quoted Trump talking about. Whether he should have the power or not is one thing, but the issue is at issue because of the question of someone who would.

You are ignoring real world things again and pretending things are cut and dry to fit your agenda. Soldiers get "gotcha'd" all the time. Nothing is safe for them. The idea that this is not going to screw over some poor soldier and that soldiers won't get put in this position with a new thing to worry about because of what the Supreme Court just did is nonsense.
It's not a new thing to worry about though. The possibility of unlawful orders being issued has always existed and has happened. Yeah, it sucks. But whether the President can be prosecuted for it (which is still up in the air, actually. I would argue that blatantly unlawful orders that violate the understood laws of war that existed even when the Constitution was written, like the My Lai massacre if we imagine that a President had ordered it, cannot be official actions because they exceed any power that a President could be granted even by the Constitution, but it's certainly arguable. There's an extra wrinkle in this I was already planning to bring up, so I'll put that in just a minute.) or not doesn't change the equation for the soldier. You could argue that this decision might make Presidents more likely to issue illegal orders and leave soldiers in the wind - I would counter that it was already widely understood that immunity probably worked like this, so any President who wanted to do so would have done it anyway. This has arguably happened many times already, at the Presidential level, if you believe, as I do, that ordering torture, assassination of American citizens, and so many other things going back generations are illegal orders. Our government truly was built on the stipulation that you shouldn't elect a President, or a majority of Congress, who would do bad things. I realize this seems like weak protection now, but that doesn't mean that we can expect the bureaucracy to save us by subverting the Constitution that set us up that way. It means we either need to get the moral fabric of our country in order so it doesn't happen, or issue new Constitutional amendments restricting those powers further.

This point, by the way, brings me to that wrinkle I mentioned, and the most important part of this post in my opinion - if you read anything, it should be this. One more thing the Founding Fathers said, really clearly, in various historical documents is that America should never allow Congress to create a standing army. Article I explicitly limits the money flow for raising armies to two years at a time, which was intended to mean that armies would be raised in exigencies and then disbanded again. That's why Congress to this day has to keep passing "keep the army up" omnibus bills to get around this. The Founders explicitly said that, since the President is Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces with hardly any checks on this power - which they considered necessary to prosecute a war effectively without stultified decision-making - then Congress allowing the President to come into control of a standing army would effectively make him a King, able to use the army to do whatever he likes. Which they didn't want. It didn't take long before we all decided to break that rule, so yes, we're now in the position that they feared and it's really only lucky that it took this long.

Nixon chose to resign? Nixon chose to resign? Where on earth are you getting this from? He was forced to resign because they put his back against a wall and threatened Nixon with criminal charges. Nixon was afraid of those criminal charges because he thought he could be charged with those criminal charges, because he could and they were totally going to. The "choice" wasn't a choice, because if he did not resign he would've been impeached and charged by force, because this new bad Supreme Court case wasn't around yet.

Nixon wanted to salvage his dignity? Salvage his dignity? OMG where are you getting this? Even if that's the lie he told himself, Nixon wasn't left with any dignity after Watergate. Nixon is notorious even now. He didn't salvage anything like dignity and he didn't choose anything because he got forced with the threats from Watergate of way more than just impeachment.
Nixon was given the choice of resigning with a pretense of dignity or being prosecuted, and he chose the former. That's still a choice. It's the same as the choice an employee gets to resign or be fired, to be sure. I don't know what you call that if it's not a choice. Just because it's a choice between two bad options doesn't make it not a choice.

Yeah, the guy famous for being corrupt did a backroom deal to get a Pardon by making his Vice President the President if he would PARDON him. There was crime and worry about criminal prosecution, and you can tell because of the Pardon. Nixon resigning would have gotten him out of impeachment, but the pardon went to making sure the prosecution did not prosecute him.
It was understood at the time that Nixon resigning probably doesn't get him out of impeachment, although it would have had to go through the courts for sure. There were competing claims on whether a President can still be impeached out of office, and it continues to be likely (though not, strictly, tested) that the answer is yes. That's part of the reason he sought the pardon, and the other part was to salvage some dignity. You may not feel that Nixon has any dignity left, sure, but documentation from the time clearly shows he felt that he was doing the best he could to protect what he saw as his legacy. Not being successful doesn't change his intentions.

"Thing is," no. Hector is right and you just declared him wrong. You can't just fire every one in government and substitute whoever you want as President.
Article II strongly implies that you can. It's never been tested, but Congress has no power to limit the staffing choices of the President. Again, this is basic Con Law, it's widely understood that if it went to the Supreme Court there's a good chance that it ends up being decided that way. Ultimately, nothing in the Constitution is cut and dried until it goes to the Supreme Court, sure, but we can assume the words mean what it looks like they mean.

I mean… Nixon’s dignity was salvaged in that he wasn’t impeached, removing his immunity, then charged and convicted for the crimes he committed in office and marched to jail in chains or whatever. He did have a choice, but he decided to take the way out that guaranteed he’d not end up in jail.

MaxSpin isn’t saying anything controversial. The SCOTUS decision doesn’t really change anything, all it really did was clarify a little bit the immunity a president already has, and there are already things like impeachment that can remove that.

The only problem is that requires both houses in congress to impeach him, and we saw in the aftermath of Jan 6th that being scared of what their voters will do to them might make a particular congressperson or senator think twice about doing that, even if they were outwardly critical of Trump’s involvement in it.

He also isn't advocating for any of the bad things y’all are hypothesizing about, just that the bad things y’all are hypothesizing about could happen regardless of checks and balances if enough people within government support it. Deterrents don’t work if they won’t actually be applied.
Right, this is exactly what I mean. The only functional solution is to vote harder. I realize that looks increasingly perilous, but we still have to accept that there isn't another bonus layer of protection that can save us.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52904 on: July 04, 2024, 03:26:24 pm »

Legal Eagle on Trump v. United States (immunity case)

I've also checked with other lawyer spaces. Overall opinion seems to be the ruling is horrendous, up there with Dred Scott.

The fact that the majority can't even deign to word out a sensible limitation to the immunity is worrisome.

As an example, a sensible limitation could be that the act must be authorized by and within the bounds of an Act of Congress, the act must be done in good faith, the act must not be a pretext for criminal behavior, and limitations must not be imposed on the use of the act as evidence.

Instead, the best we get is a footnote—a fucking footnote, not even worthy of being in the main body—that dismisses the dissent and does nothing to limit the broadness of the immunity and the majority's definition of an official act. That gives it a high chance that it's just going be dismissed as dicta. Especially on the evidence front, the majority makes it sound like the attorney general is the president's personal attorney—which he isnt!—with a super-attorney-client privilege that cannot ever be lifted (e.g. by a crime-fraud exception).

Congress can and should have the power to criminalize abuse of executive power. If an act is done without or beyond authorization of an Act of Congress, if an act is done in bad faith, or if an act (authorized or not) is a pretext for criminal behavior, then that should be criminalizable and prosecutable. There is nothing in the Constitution, interpreted through original public meaning, that inhibits this. The founders were explicit with the Speech and Debate clause in Article One, there is no equivalence in Article Two. The founders were explicit that impeachment nevertheless did not affect prosecutability. There were plenty of opportunities, and dare I say parchment and ink, to be explicit and include something so important as immunity, but they did not. Hence, executive immunity shouldn't even be a thing. Even if it was a thing, the president's duty only extends to the faithful execution of the law. Acts done without or beyond authorization of an Act of Congress, acts done in bad faith, and acts (authorized or not) done as a pretext for criminal behavior, are obviously not faithful executions of the law, and should therefore not be immune to prosecution, and almost nothing in the executive should be immune to being used as evidence.

But the majority went with the most overly broad nonsense short of explicitly proclaiming the president is king.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 03:30:17 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 3563