Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3524 3525 [3526] 3527 3528 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4155237 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52875 on: July 02, 2024, 12:26:52 am »

Ultimately this is going to be based on one of two beliefs people have. Either:
A.) Someone thinks Biden has completely and utterly lost it, in which case 25th amendment time and new candidate (Good luck pulling that off well and winning, but if he truly has lost it). OR
B.) Someone thinks Biden had a cold during a debate and it's better now, in which case do nothing, because it was just a cold.

I see absolutely no reason why the situation has to be one of these two extremes. People can believe that Biden is unreliable for age-related reasons unrelated to his cold, but still well short of full-blown dementia.

So the people talking about removing Biden better be able to show conclusively that he has totally lost it, and go on full force removing him not only as a candidate but also as president where Harris takes over as VP, or else quit handing trump the election.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-debate-should-biden-be-running-mental-abilities/
Those 'people' are the voting public. They don't have to show anything conclusively, they can vote however they want. And right now it's looking like they don't want Biden in office marginally more than they don't want Trump in office.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52876 on: July 02, 2024, 01:04:03 am »

The reason exists because that's the only actual option and I don't like it either. Either they replace Biden (come on, he's not gonna willingly) or they don't. They have to come up with someone else yesterday. There's no half measure that's going to work. People can pretend all they want. They either get it or not and Biden does not want to step down so they'd have to somehow force him to step down? He won't. The fact that we don't like it being that way doesn't do anything. All it does is hand Trump the election. Replace Biden or don't, but it better be with somebody who can actually win and who is that in this messed up situation? Think about it man. Would your boss step down from running the company you work at? Mine wouldn't, so why would any President do that if they didn't have to? Who's gonna just give up power like that without a really really good reason?

"Those people" are the voting public is a heck of a statement and its not backed up by anything, man. There's a poll. Those happen dude. You can't know and neither can anyone else if this is gonna stick. It could change if there's another debate or anything really If you think you know for sure how the election is going to go then place a large bet on it, because nobody knows how it is going to pan out right now. People have to conclusively show they can remove Biden and put someone else in his place or it's all half talk and worthless. That's the truth regardless of what we say here. Nothing we say here is gonna matter. Biden is the President just like Trump was and without some proof that he should step down, either now or before the election Biden is not going to step down. Why would he step down (and yeah man, not being the candidate is stepping down. It's just stepping down in 4 months). That is what has to be proven. If you don't prove that to Biden, then he is not going to step down and the rest of the Democratic party has a choice of either sticking with him or committing political suicide by handing the election to Trump by trying to force Biden to step down 4 months before the election.

If you disagree, then come on man, when has it been done before? It's all talk. When has a sitting President been removed from anything 4 months before the reelection? Dude, I don't like it anymore than you do. We're stuck with it. Just like we've been stuck with two like 80 year olds as the only candidates in what is basically a two party system. It's the same old crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7l9QmtiXHU

Very few people really like this. This stuff is pretty stacked anyhow. Very few people really like this system being two party but without another choice here we are. There's probably no convincing you of that if you can't see how hard it would be to replace a sitting President from anything including being a candidate which is basically removing him from any chance at the next 4 years of being President. Doesn't matter which President, because they all seem to like being reelected like "Senator Ka... Bob Dole."

Somebody, has to come up with and prove a real plan to do the whole "replacing a sitting president on the ballot and let somebody else run instead" thing. That's what has to be proven.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52877 on: July 02, 2024, 02:15:07 am »

Oh hey there SCOTUS decision on presidential immunity, I’d like to you to meet my conviction.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52878 on: July 02, 2024, 02:41:30 am »

The continued saga of I hate being stuck in this shithole of a country goes in as usual...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52879 on: July 02, 2024, 11:56:13 am »

[snip]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 03:04:21 pm by Nirur Torir »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52880 on: July 02, 2024, 03:06:34 pm »

Calling for Biden to step down with 4 months until the election is a staggering level of self-sabotage by the Democractic party that beggars belief.
Well, they're Democrats. It's what they do.
It's only recently that Republicans got that reputation. Democrats have always been like that.

Funny thing about Biden: He has always been a lousy public speaker. He was notorious for putting his foot in his mouth during President Obama's tenure.

Trump is also doing that thing he did four years ago: Saying stupid shit to lose himself the election.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52881 on: July 02, 2024, 04:20:54 pm »

https://imgur.com/gallery/theres-no-difference-OGPyhxa

I can't believe nobody's put this yet:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/opinion-why-joined-other-former-100213793.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Some President somewhere and somewhen will give the military an unlawful order as Commander in Chief knowing they can't be punished criminally but the soldiers can..... Well, just look a Rudy:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rudy-giuliani-disbarred-york-153120808.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

It doesn't matter Rudy wasn't in the military, because the point is he was listening to orders until he got thrown aside. So basically your boss can order you to do something wrong and your boss gets off scott free but you get screwed for doing what you were told. That but in the military everything is worse, because you can't easily disobey orders if you can at all. If you disobey an order because you think it is "unlawful," then you better be absolutely sure about that, because if you're wrong then you're screwed. If you're wrong, then you just disobeyed a direct order and have major problems. Good luck figuring out if the bad thing you were told to do is immune or whatever and even then, the shit is going to hit the poor 20 year old marine taking orders not the President giving them? Or am I wrong that the immunity does not extend to the person taking the order and following it?

Now what are you supposed to do with some immunity stuff? No clue. The people with more money than I could ever count have special protections. The average person is screwed.

People are going to pick Trump aren't they? Biden's old and he's been old for a while so how is anyone shocked, but they are. Because of one stupid debate.Trump is old too. Trump lied just all the time. He said he was smarter than the generals, we would all have a better healthcare program than Obamacare, and Mexico would pay for the wall and lots of other stuff. None of it came true. He lied like crazy, he's probably lying right now and he's gonna keep right on lying and there are still tons of people who just love him to pieces. Wow. I know I'm not incredibly smart, but I don't get it. Wow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 09:11:49 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52882 on: July 03, 2024, 02:13:26 am »

Trump will not win the popular vote... there are many women who have already decided and they are not advertising it, so it will not show up in polls. But popular vote won't decide who wins; gerrymandering, voter suppression/stealing, and the electoral college will.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52883 on: July 03, 2024, 06:16:27 am »

trump and dump your contituency
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 09:48:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52884 on: July 03, 2024, 08:26:39 am »

I think you give the general US population too much credit if you think the popular vote has no chance of going Trump... maybe the liberals are indeed just quiet, but even living in a "liberal" area of my state, it's amazing how vocal the hyper-conservatives are.

The amount of blame people put on Biden for things outside our administration's control, or is actually more Congress/SCOTUs fault, is fascinating.

The general population also demonstrates little ability to comprehend causality...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52885 on: July 03, 2024, 10:27:21 am »

The conservatives always seem louder than the liberals around here too, but I don't know what conclusions to really draw from that.  I live in South Carolina, so I see cars with 10+ Trump bumper stickers and the tacky Trump window hangers people put in their back seat windows all of the time.  There's a guy in my neighborhood with a tacky spray painted "Lyin' Biden" sign in his yard, complete with total disregard to how much Trump blatantly lies.  Someone else is flying a giant Trump flag.

I never saw anything like that for any Democratic presidential candidate around here.  Not even Obama, who really fired up a lot of voters.  Maybe it's just the area, or maybe most people who vote liberal don't express themselves that way.

I don't think the presidential debate really changed anyone's minds on whether they like Trump or Biden more.  Everyone I know of who plans to vote for Trump is doing it despite his obvious, loud, and blatant character flaws.  Everyone in the local church is going to vote for him despite him being convicted of illegally  paying hush money to a prostitute.  That doesn't matter.  What matters is that he's against abortion, for example.  That's it.  To them, literally nothing else matters.  Trump is against abortion so he gets their vote.  Presidential debates don't have any impact on people like that.

Anyway, my expectation is that Trump will win the election, but probably still lose the popular vote.  I'm expecting that Biden's poor debate performance had relatively little impact, but it may have convinced some people who might have otherwise voted for him to stay home.  Or just the general impression that he's senile will, which the debate didn't help.

What remains to be seen to me is if anyone stays home who'd have voted for Trump since he claims that the elections are rigged and votes don't matter, but I doubt it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52886 on: July 03, 2024, 10:28:50 am »

This new ruling does mean that Biden can now use his presidential powers to postpone the elections until after Trump is jailed or dead. No Seal Team 6 needed, just some more time.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52887 on: July 03, 2024, 10:55:37 am »

This new ruling does mean that Biden can now use his presidential powers to postpone the elections until after Trump is jailed or dead. No Seal Team 6 needed, just some more time.
The second September Surprise, depending upon the outcome of the first... ;)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52888 on: July 03, 2024, 11:37:57 am »

they took too much of my attention allready

in german there is a proverb: he was jurist and otherwise only midwitted too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 09:40:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52889 on: July 03, 2024, 04:29:32 pm »

No it doesn't. Presidents don't have that power in the US. Federal law doesn't provide for elections to be delayed at all for any reason.
Pages: 1 ... 3524 3525 [3526] 3527 3528 ... 3563