Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3287 3288 [3289] 3290 3291 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231537 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49320 on: August 05, 2022, 10:16:59 am »

Well, no- There doesn't seem to be a lot of bright side to having a net reduction in savings and buying power. I count on this being a good thing the same way I count on corporations to do the right thing, choosing morals over profit. If unemployment is at a record low, it'd suggest that the income bump is the minimum change required to attract workers, which from the same article, is largely at restaurants/bars/service jobs and increasingly fewer teenagers by count, again, the sorts of jobs that desperate young adults probably carry three of at a time. The 'nobody wants to work' rhetoric has burned through the teenagers who don't see the value in working for peanuts and have some reliance on parental figures, covid burned through the first heap of frontline workers.

I'm no economist, of course, but I find it difficult to see this as a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:21:39 am by None »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49321 on: August 05, 2022, 10:27:35 am »

The incompetence on display from Jones' lawyers is astonishing. How can you accidentally give a digital copy of your client's phone with all the juicy texts and emails to the other legal team?

What was even worse (better?) is the lawyers for the parents told his lawyers they were sent the texts in error, and his lawyers didn’t do anything about securing it as privileged information, so the lawyers for the parents were able to use it in trial.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49322 on: August 05, 2022, 11:11:40 am »

Can we not at least see the bright side on wages going up, even if it is lower than headline inflation?  Why is it always "Oh yeah but it's still useless... woe is us..."

Positivity breeds positivity, negativity breeds negativity...

Because wages increasing at a rate lower than the increase in prices is not a positive thing? If I get an extra $10 a week, but my outgoings have increased $15 a week, I’m out $5.

Positivity breeds complacency. Negativity breeds action.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49323 on: August 05, 2022, 11:21:17 am »

or despair and inactivity, or action that doesn't actually help, or

Personally, I've seen a lot more action and actual good come from positivity than negativity, and the margin is not small. One leading to folks helping people and getting up in the morning, the other leading to bloody putsch attempts or just staying in bed instead of doing fuckall.

Any case, at least going from sho's post, the thing seems to be saying that while inflation's still ahead of wage increases, the overall buying power has increased a bit, which is something that can happen. Just means inflation isn't hitting everything to the same degree, mostly, and what it's not hitting as hard is the stuff used to determine buying power.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:23:02 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49324 on: August 05, 2022, 02:21:44 pm »

You cannot accomplish anything through positivity when the people standing in your way are sociopaths who would send children to die in mines, or create baby powder scarcities and thus starve literal infants to maximize profits. You HAVE to be negative, because at that point, trying to negotiate or convince is pointless, and frankly, delusional. What positive outlook could you have on "Ok how can we positively go about stopping this person from repeatedly twisting the knife they stabbed someone with?".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49325 on: August 05, 2022, 03:09:48 pm »

Being negative doesn't do anything but get you stressed.

Unless you mean something different than I do by "being negative"?  By that I mean - being opposed to something can be a positive attitude.  For instance, you can be opposed to sociopathic rent-seeking in a positive way.

Maybe..."don't be defeatist" is more specific than "don't be negative"?  Don't sit there and crumble!  Fight (hopefully nonviolently) back!  Don't let the sociopaths win!  You can't do that by relying on other sociopaths to do things for you.  You have to get in the game, get motivated, act!

Also I think your analogy is flawed - grabbing someone with a knife to stop them from inflicting further harm is not "negative" - it's forceful perhaps, but it's a positive action.  Negative is standing there going "oh they have a knife, it's terrible but we can't stop them, oh well I hope I'm not next."  Positive is "maybe they'll get me, but I'm going to give 'em hell if they try!"  Positive is definitely "Let's stop them so they can't do it again! If they happen to get me in the process, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to take, but there are more of us than them, let's get 'em!"

Which highlights a key: I posit that the way to combat these ills is with community, not with hyper-individualism, heros, or hoping "the right government" does it.  Maybe perhaps "the right government" would work - but that's a type of what I mean by "the community" - a government is just a community after all...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49326 on: August 05, 2022, 03:52:35 pm »

The incompetence on display from Jones' lawyers is astonishing. How can you accidentally give a digital copy of your client's phone with all the juicy texts and emails to the other legal team?

It is pretty astounding.  If I were a conspiracist I might even think he did it on purpose, but it's hard to think of a plausible reason.

Supposedly some of it was turned over to the January 6th investigators as well.  I've seen a lot of speculation on what was included but don't want to get ahead of myself.  It's hard to imagine anyone would give Alex Jones of all people any sensitive secret information.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49327 on: August 05, 2022, 04:01:31 pm »

Have you seen the Jan. 6th insurrectionists? They are not a cautious bunch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49328 on: August 05, 2022, 04:54:31 pm »

Better conspiracy: If you were defending a vile man like Alex Jones for vile charges like that because it was your job as a defense lawyer, and your conscience demanded that he not get off... how would you resolve this conflict?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49329 on: August 05, 2022, 07:00:48 pm »

Better conspiracy: If you were defending a vile man like Alex Jones for vile charges like that because it was your job as a defense lawyer, and your conscience demanded that he not get off... how would you resolve this conflict?

File a motion to withdraw their representation from the client?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49330 on: August 05, 2022, 07:27:24 pm »

The jury has ordered Alex Jones to pay.....wait for it.......

$45 million in punitive damages to one family.

If nothing else goes right for the rest of my life time, at least I can say this happened.

And there's no telling what January 6th, Perjury and further damage outcomes might be.

You better get real comfortable with Demons! Alex Jones, you're about to be spending the rest of eternity with them. Alive or otherwise.

And it happened in Texas, of all places.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:37:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49331 on: August 05, 2022, 07:46:51 pm »

There's a real chance of that getting reduced on appeal, but that's the least of Jones's problems. This wasn't a class action. It was an individual suit, and he's got several more coming. Not to mention, as you say, blatant perjury and links to other crimes. It is incredibly rare for a civil suit to lead to criminal charges, but that's looking likely here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49332 on: August 05, 2022, 08:58:51 pm »

It couldn’t happen to a cuntier cunt.

My favourite part of this was when he said he wanted to take back his years and years and years of harping on about how this was fake but the media wouldn’t let him, as though going “lol sorry” was good enough for the hurt he inflicted on these people.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49333 on: August 06, 2022, 03:59:26 am »

Being negative doesn't do anything but get you stressed.

Unless you mean something different than I do by "being negative"?  By that I mean - being opposed to something can be a positive attitude.  For instance, you can be opposed to sociopathic rent-seeking in a positive way.

Maybe..."don't be defeatist" is more specific than "don't be negative"?  Don't sit there and crumble!  Fight (hopefully nonviolently) back!  Don't let the sociopaths win!  You can't do that by relying on other sociopaths to do things for you.  You have to get in the game, get motivated, act!

Also I think your analogy is flawed - grabbing someone with a knife to stop them from inflicting further harm is not "negative" - it's forceful perhaps, but it's a positive action.  Negative is standing there going "oh they have a knife, it's terrible but we can't stop them, oh well I hope I'm not next."  Positive is "maybe they'll get me, but I'm going to give 'em hell if they try!"  Positive is definitely "Let's stop them so they can't do it again! If they happen to get me in the process, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to take, but there are more of us than them, let's get 'em!"

Which highlights a key: I posit that the way to combat these ills is with community, not with hyper-individualism, heros, or hoping "the right government" does it.  Maybe perhaps "the right government" would work - but that's a type of what I mean by "the community" - a government is just a community after all...

O yeah, "defeatist" makes everything make much more sense. Or as I've heard a recent word pop up, "doomerism".

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49334 on: August 06, 2022, 12:28:21 pm »

please flash in the pan again for me, my droogy buzzword, please flash in the pan again.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 3287 3288 [3289] 3290 3291 ... 3567