Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3286 3287 [3288] 3289 3290 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231556 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49305 on: August 02, 2022, 09:52:56 pm »

That would be a far greater concern if Russia wasn't currently losing both the shooting war and the jawing war.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49306 on: August 02, 2022, 09:54:11 pm »

Yeah. I'm not sure if China will invade, but if they do, I somehow doubt they will get far.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49307 on: August 03, 2022, 04:35:26 am »

the same way Russia invading Ukraine did.

See, that's why there's still some worry that China might do it anyway despite what a bad idea it'd be. Everyone was remarking that "no way would Russia be dumb enough to invade Ukraine" and then it happened.

There's hope that having seen what a dumb idea it was might discourage the PRC from trying the same thing, but there's still the twin considerations of "if Russia looks like it's actually getting away with laughing at another nations' sovereignty in any meaningful way it'll encourage more of this shit" combined with "the sheer magnitude of human stupidity is both universal and boundless"
I always found the idea that Russia wouldn't dare invade laughable. Putin had invaded 5(?) countries over his career. The idea that he wouldn't dare invade Ukraine yet again always seemed baseless to me.

Putin's desired legacy has been made clear throughout the decades: The revival of the Soviet Union via the physical growth of Russia as it gobbles up the old soviet satellite states.
As he is now dying he is willing to risk anything that wouldn't pose an existential threat to Russia to achieve or even just inch closer to this goal.
Cause unlike Xi when he dies he's probably going to be replaced with some normal dictator that won't care about reviving the Soviet Union at all, so he knows his time is limited.

But China isn't Russia, and Xi isn't Putin.
Xi is content to go slow. He has his legacy: The glorious Chinese republic and their economic, political, and cultural growth over his reign.
If he goes to war he risks this, no matter the fact that there is no true military risk the Wests reaction could set Chinese economic and global political power back by more then a decade.
And when he dies? Someone with similar goals will take over and attempt continue the growth of China.

If west's reaction to Putin's invasion had been lukewarm then Xi might have went for it, but even a 25% chance of the same economic sanctions happening to Russia is far too big a risk to take for just Taiwain.
---
China is talking a big game now, but they lie constantly about everything (exactly like Russia) because they know words are cheap and pointless.
Them generically saber rattling is about as meaningful as North Korea doing the same: AKA, not news.

If they said "We are gathering our forces and are going to invade Taiwain next week. Here is an official declaration of war" then sure, that's worth something, but vague threats are meaningless.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49308 on: August 03, 2022, 06:09:56 am »

In local news, in the Post-Roe world--

Kansas constitutional amendment to deny rights to getting an abortion fails-- but not by all that much.
https://www.cjonline.com/elections/results/race/2022-08-02-ballot_initiative-KS-17747/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49309 on: August 03, 2022, 06:21:47 am »

It failed by 17.6% (58.8-41.2). That's a pretty damn huge margin in most elections. In a state that had a margin of 15% pro-life not that long ago, it is fucking massive - a 32% swing (or polling miss).
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49310 on: August 03, 2022, 06:57:52 am »

It was carried almost exclusively by the wichita and KC area voter bloc.

Everywhere else, it was very near 50-50, or even 60-40 in favor.

I am glad it failed, but wish it had been a harder message.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49311 on: August 03, 2022, 09:30:08 am »

So Pelosi left Taiwan intact to continue her Asia trip.
China's gonna be doing some live fire exercises to save face so we'll see if anything comes form that by the end of the week
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49312 on: August 03, 2022, 09:33:00 am »

I'm guessing KC means Kansas City or something.

But I can't unsee Kentucky Chicken
Love, scriver~

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49313 on: August 03, 2022, 10:13:39 pm »

China does that. Hong Kong had a little bit of democracy, and it looked like that little bit of democracy was electing pro-China majorities a lot, but China still cracked down hard on that shit and now they don’t have democracy any more.
Taiwan democracy may be getting suffocated, but Taiwan still has a larger percentage of women in their legislature than most of the other countries on the planet, and I suspect there was sub-text in Pelosi's visit that implied, "you women currently have more rights than your mothers had... are you going to let China take them away bit by bit until your grand-daughters are back to being housewives and on-demand baby-makers, who need to seek a male for sustenance and security?"
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49314 on: August 05, 2022, 08:42:15 am »

In domestic news, the latest jobs report is out.

Unemployment is now below that of February 2020, and average "real" wages (calculated by buying power) are up 5%. There is concern about damage to the overall economy because the average person has too much money.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/05/1115690578/jobs-employers-hiring-recession-economy-interest-rates-federal-reserve

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49315 on: August 05, 2022, 09:27:18 am »

I don’t know where you’re getting that “real” wages went up considering inflation is around 9%. That would mean wages rose >14%, which… probably would never happen.

The very next paragraph after the stuff about the pay increases, emphasis mine:

Wage gains and benefit growth is great for households," House said. "But it's still trailing in comparison to inflation and it's making the Fed's inflation problem very difficult to control and bring down."

So yeah, real terms wages were cut  4% on average. People having more money means demand increases, which is only a problem when supply-side issues exist, such as now.

I also find it amusing that in a free market economy, people spending money is a problem.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49316 on: August 05, 2022, 09:55:09 am »

job market's so good, people are taking two or three jobs at a time

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49317 on: August 05, 2022, 09:57:13 am »

Alex Jones is going to have to pay $4.1 million to Sandy Hook families. And that's BEFORE punitive damages have been decided.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49318 on: August 05, 2022, 10:01:51 am »

The incompetence on display from Jones' lawyers is astonishing. How can you accidentally give a digital copy of your client's phone with all the juicy texts and emails to the other legal team?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49319 on: August 05, 2022, 10:09:03 am »

Can we not at least see the bright side on wages going up, even if it is lower than headline inflation?  Why is it always "Oh yeah but it's still useless... woe is us..."

Positivity breeds positivity, negativity breeds negativity...

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 3286 3287 [3288] 3289 3290 ... 3567