Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229632 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49200 on: July 18, 2022, 06:27:42 pm »

Simply "increase taxes on the rich and distribute to the poor" won't really help - that doesn't help increase supply and reduce demand pressure.  I'd rather see "increase taxes on the rich and use the funds to build houses priced for entry-level buyers."  Not "provide financing for entry-level buyers" but literally, directly, "pay people to build houses priced for the 20th percentile" or something like that.

Pretty sure using tax money to fund public building programs that benefit all the citizenry is redistributing it to the poor :)

For example, the USA could really benefit from investing more in building out the public transport infrastructure, something that can remove the need for every American to own and fund a car at least for transportation within a states boundaries. The USAs public transit system is infamous, literally covering less miles now than it did back in the days of horse and cart despite the dramatic increase in occupied land and population density.

Such a program would create jobs to support the grown public transport system, encourages economic mobility of your citizens, and good transport connections are one of the most effective means of reducing poverty rates.

Basically, y'all need some social democratic Keynesian up in there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:14:03 pm by MorleyDev »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49201 on: July 18, 2022, 08:24:03 pm »

The difference between the government giving people money and the government building houses is, if the government builds houses, you're "guaranteed" to get more housing supply, which is what you need for housing prices to drop. If you just give people money, all else equal you will end up with perhaps slightly more supply, but not at lower prices.

Health care - I do think an important first step is to disconnect it from employment.  The problem will remain though, if you don't increase supply with a given demand, you can't drop costs, at least in the short term. What might happen is that you can drop public health costs over time by investing in better preventive care, but that's a difficult pill for most people - and more importantly policy makers - to swallow.  It's same thing for climate issues - people can't comprehend future payoff relative to present expense.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49202 on: July 18, 2022, 08:29:12 pm »

The American Left is obsessed with One Weird Trick To Fix Everything solutions. The vast majority of the "BIDEN MUST DO THIS" crap you see the DSA and others put out is stuff that the President literally doesn't have the power to do, for example.
To be fair, I don't think it's limited to the Left.
It's mostly young people who don't know better.

Yeah, ain't no good reason to dishonor the republic to understand right and wrong.  Man was supposed to die before we even got started.

Everything hurts isn't a prospect.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49203 on: July 18, 2022, 10:37:56 pm »

Fucking political ads already getting on my nerves.

ITS THE LIBERALS FAULT THE ECONOMY IS SHIT

NORMAL PERSON BEING INTERVIEWED AT A GAS STATION: I ABSOLUTELY BLAME BIDEN FOR INFLATION BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS

SKIP

RON JOHNSON IS A CUNT LET HIM KNOW HES A CUNT

SKIP

RON JOHNSON IS A FUCKING LEGEND LET HIM KNOW HES A FUCKING LEGEND

SKIP

I WAS THE COMMAMDER OF THE TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER THE LIBTARDS ARE RIOTING DID I TELL YOU I WAS COMMANDER OF THE TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER THAT MAKES ME BEST FOR BEING GOVERNOR FOR SOME REASON

SKIP

THERES ONLY ONE DEMOCRAT WHO CAN BEAT RON JOHNSON BUT HAS ALREADY LOST BECAUSE I SEE A THOUSAND ADS FOR JOHNSON FOR EVERY ONE I SEE OF YOU IDIOT

Only 4 more months to go yay.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49204 on: July 19, 2022, 12:05:56 am »

four more months and then the ads for the 2024 election start, yes
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49205 on: July 19, 2022, 12:13:12 am »

Nooooooo I live in a swing state no more I just want to watch 10 year old videos on Slenderman fuck ooooofffffff
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49206 on: July 19, 2022, 12:41:32 am »

Y'know, I once saw some crazy fellow suggest biannual (that is, twice yearly) general elections was a good idea, a possible cure to voter turnout woes. No breaks, no off season, every month is campaign month, every other ad political, forever.

I never quite managed to understand what hell they lived in to want to inflict that on everyone, but it was definitely the outlook of the damned.

They may have been right that it would fix turnout woes, though. If everyone's killed themselves or fled, total voting participation would indeed by 100% of the 0 remaining citizens :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49207 on: July 19, 2022, 05:28:03 am »

Liberals: Perhaps we should not be so dependent on fossil fuels
Normal American: HAHA LIBTURD FRACK DRIL GO BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Putin: What if I were to... Cut the gas
Normal American: REEEEEEEE LIBTURDS YOU DID THIS

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49208 on: July 19, 2022, 06:16:57 am »

What are these advertisements of which you speak?

I don't miss TV or ad-based radio.  Adblock is my friend on the internet.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49209 on: July 19, 2022, 12:50:50 pm »

Nooooooo I live in a swing state no more I just want to watch 10 year old videos on Slenderman fuck ooooofffffff
Maybe we could swap? I live in the Democratic Dominion.
I'd enjoy my presidential vote actually counting.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49210 on: July 19, 2022, 01:01:16 pm »

NORMAL PERSON BEING INTERVIEWED AT A GAS STATION: I ABSOLUTELY BLAME BIDEN FOR INFLATION BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNx2IXSirY
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49211 on: July 19, 2022, 01:13:44 pm »

Liberals: Perhaps we should not be so dependent on fossil fuels
Normal American: HAHA LIBTURD FRACK DRIL GO BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Putin: What if I were to... Cut the gas
Normal American: REEEEEEEE LIBTURDS YOU DID THIS

Isn't it the EU that's dependent on Russian gas (as planned,) despite Trump warning Germany this exact thing was going to happen (and getting laughed at?) And now they're burning coal again, since they can't meet demand with non-fossil fuels because they shut a bunch of nuclear plants down?

US could produce a bunch more gas to liquefy and send to Europe, but Biden committed to ending subsidies, etc., and he's obviously not going to give any incentives.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 01:25:08 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49212 on: July 19, 2022, 01:37:30 pm »

oh no, temporary solutions to temporary instabilities, if only we hadn't talked all that green energy stuff and got told 'no' way ahead of time, look what you made me do

Bit of a whataboutism here when we're talking about the sorts of opinions drummed up during election cycles, innit?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49213 on: July 19, 2022, 03:56:23 pm »

Isn't it the EU that's dependent on Russian gas (as planned,) despite Trump warning Germany this exact thing was going to happen (and getting laughed at?) And now they're burning coal again, since they can't meet demand with non-fossil fuels because they shut a bunch of nuclear plants down?

US could produce a bunch more gas to liquefy and send to Europe, but Biden committed to ending subsidies, etc., and he's obviously not going to give any incentives.
EU is completely and totally fucked, and US rise in gas price is down to Iran/Venezuela/Russian sanctions + high dependence on fossil fuels. So you are correct of course. Germany wouldn't listen to good US sense there

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49214 on: July 19, 2022, 04:19:17 pm »

If only someone, somewhere, sometime had advised us that we need to depend less on fossil fuels. Unfortunately we were completely blindsided in 2022.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 ... 3567