Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3281 3282 [3283] 3284 3285 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229667 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49230 on: July 20, 2022, 03:33:44 pm »

Discussion of Australian internet reminds me that once thought it quite exotic to find myself looking at Wollongong University's pages on Gopher, once, looking at stuff like their library opening hours, etc. And not because it was on Gopher[1], but because I'd never really been anywhere beyond .uk, .de[2] and of course the iTLDs that were probably predominantly 'Merkin.

No surprise that it was a University, *.ac.uk (or UK.AC.*, depending upon protocol) via JANET pretty much dominated anything 'local', and of course Wollongong Uni was likely to be connected. I imagine that a farmstead 100 miles away from the nearest regularly repaved road in the middle of the western desert is still going to be at the tail-end of even a POTS/dial-up connectivity 'revolution', never mind getting gigabit optical broadband that many (though by no means all, or even most) might expect over on this small island.

[1] This was slightly pre-web. Gopher was exotic, I suppose, but only at the Presentation Layer level. The underlying mechanism was no different from ftp or telnet. And my first Web access was likely on Lynx (on a telnet login), until we got Mosaic running on X, so very much the same.

[2] And maybe other European mirror-hubs/resources, but probably saw .fi more than .fr because the latter tended not to have so much anglophone-accessible material .

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49231 on: July 20, 2022, 08:38:52 pm »

There was a lot of politics involved in the upgrade to australia's internet network. A partial overview of it can be found here: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/nov/10/secret-figures-reveal-coalitions-cut-down-nbn-tech-three-times-more-expensive-than-forecast
When the Coalition won government in 2013, then communications minister Malcolm Turnbull commissioned a strategic review into the national broadband network to validate switching from rolling out fibre-to-the-premises for 93% of homes to a mixture of older technology using Telstra and Optus cable networks and fibre-to-the-node which then utilised existing copper lines to premises.

No idea where the notion of copper networks everywhere as best practice comes from, that was certainly never considered by anyone.

The TLDR; is that Labor (the left-er party) had a decent plan for fibre  back about 15 years ago but then the right wing parties (the coalition) got into power and cooked up a degraded plan on the justification of cost savings.  It's not clear that any money was saved (and in fact more may well have been spent).

Full disclosure, all I know about Aussie politics is the completely impartial hilarious Honest Government Ads series.
Seriously, check it out on youtube if you haven't yet.

To be honest, apart from the humour involved, these will stand you in good stead.  Largely.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #49232 on: July 20, 2022, 11:38:17 pm »

Specifics I don't know about our internet. Mines fine for the most part but can get laggy if playing with others over in US or UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Network#2020 is the main plan countrywide for the internet. It varies a lot depending on where you are with differing amount of fiber to metallic cables depending on what type of connections you have to the network.

As for coal. Sorry. You'd think we'd be head in the world for solar but opinions are mostly stuck on what it was like 20+ years ago.
Your link doesn't seem to work.
It's fine for Mech but we're on the other hemisphere, so we have to flip it: 0ᄅ0ᄅ#ʞɹoʍʇǝN‾puɐqpɐoɹq‾lɐuoᴉʇɐN/ᴉʞᴉʍ/ƃɹo˙ɐᴉpǝdᴉʞᴉʍ˙uǝ//:sdʇʇɥ
lmao
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49233 on: July 21, 2022, 04:25:37 am »

Doh, I did the dumb and mixed up where you put the URL and heading in the code again. NBN (National Broadband Network)

Hello, I'm still around. Always reading just losing knowledge on how to post on forums.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49235 on: July 22, 2022, 10:26:16 pm »

Windshield cancer is a serious problem, I’m glad someone has the balls to talk about it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49236 on: July 23, 2022, 12:06:33 am »

Californians Will Be Able to Sue Those Responsible for Illegal Assault Weapons and Ghost Guns

Modeled after Texas’ abortion law upheld by SCOTUS, California to become first state allowing individuals to sue for damages those spreading illegal weapons

The article link.

A link to California state government's text of the law.

Texas has introduced a new standard of justice-via-curbside-lawsuit...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49237 on: July 23, 2022, 05:45:30 am »

And the countdown to overturning California's law as unconstitutional begins.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49238 on: July 26, 2022, 03:28:50 pm »

Nice bit of show and tell

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49239 on: July 27, 2022, 01:29:52 am »

I see your stupid politicians, and raise you "If global temperatures are increasing, why does snow exist?"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49240 on: July 27, 2022, 01:33:16 am »

It is horrifying.

Whenever I get angry I sometimes remember this and I just want to shout in his face “WINTER EXISTS YOU PILLOCK.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49241 on: July 27, 2022, 02:18:44 am »

I don't really find the stupidity to be in the accusation, but rather the attempt. As if they think people are stupid enough to fall for that. I don't believe that he thinks that it's a good argument. I think he thinks other will fall for it, and is fine with causing mass starvation and bloodshed for some bribes from oil companies.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49242 on: July 27, 2022, 04:15:31 am »

It seems Pelosi is looking to visit Taiwan, to the expected annoyance of China (various vague threats of some action, which may or may not be military in nature... "And the US will be responsible for all of the serious consequences"[1]). Biden is luke-cold about the idea. Publically. He could be anything from overjoyed to vastly annoyed in private, you can't be sure what he really thinks. I'm sure he's pleasing nobody (while trying to not actively upset anybody).

[1] The same sort of thing as "Of course we had to invade Ukraine. It's entirely their fault for putting us in potential conflict with NATO..."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49243 on: July 27, 2022, 04:33:34 am »

It is horrifying.

Whenever I get angry I sometimes remember this and I just want to shout in his face “WINTER EXISTS YOU PILLOCK.”
But if temperatures are rising, why does winter exist?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49244 on: July 27, 2022, 04:35:10 am »

Biden is smart to be trying to make nice with China right now. It is very much not in the interests of the United States to be risking a diplomatic crisis with a major nuclear power when so much US military equipment (and make no mistake, it is a huge quantity even by US standards) is going to the country defending from a different major nuclear power in an outright shooting war. Not to mention that a diplomatic breach with China is all too likely to significantly damage the global economy that is shakily recovering from the twin shocks of COVID and a shooting war in Europe.

If it was a "draw a line in the sand or China invades" situation, it would be one thing, but that's not the case. China doesn't have the military force to retake Taiwan without completely destroying it, and there's no point in retaking the territory if everything on it worth having is rubble. I'm all for standing up to the PRC, but one crisis at a time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3281 3282 [3283] 3284 3285 ... 3567