Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3252 3253 [3254] 3255 3256 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237481 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48795 on: June 24, 2022, 04:56:47 pm »

imagine you're in Texas and want or need an abortion.  Let's say you want the abortion because you're in no economic position to support a baby, which implies you have little to no extra income.  Now, someone says, "If you want an abortion, just go to California!"  Okay, so now you need to take time off work and spend what, at least a day driving there, paying for gas, and do the same on the way back?  As opposed to finding one locally if it were legal in Texas?  If you can't afford it, it's effectively illegal for you.
And that's just assuming that Texas merely criminalized it being performed in the state.  What happens if they criminalize having it done at all, and someone rats you out when you come back and you risk going to jail?
"Just go move to California then!"
Okay, but the overwhelming majority of Americans have like $500 or less in their checking accounts, so how is that going to work out in practice?  Just moving to find likeminded people so you can live in peace works a lot better in theory than practice.

Laws are already being drafted to make it a criminal offense to cross state lines for the purpose of seeking an abortion, or aid someone in doing so. Some of these laws also include ferrying contraceptives or morning-after pills across state lines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48796 on: June 24, 2022, 05:18:04 pm »

Personally I'm fine in concept with parents having the right to walk away from a child they don't want, so long as it's a complete walk away. No obligations means no rights, no visitation, no anything. Legally you essentially aren't their parent anymore.

My mum gave my biological father that choice when he was trying to avoid child support by fudging his books, and pissing off is the best thing he ever did for me.

In practice, this is going to rely on their being a decent welfare system in place for supporting single parents when one of them choses to waive their 'rights and obligations' as a parent.
The fundamental problem with this is that The Government doesn't want to pay for your dad's kid.
The whole point of the child support system is to shift that burden onto the parents instead of The Government.

imagine you're in Texas and want or need an abortion.  Let's say you want the abortion because you're in no economic position to support a baby, which implies you have little to no extra income.  Now, someone says, "If you want an abortion, just go to California!"  Okay, so now you need to take time off work and spend what, at least a day driving there, paying for gas, and do the same on the way back?  As opposed to finding one locally if it were legal in Texas?  If you can't afford it, it's effectively illegal for you.
And that's just assuming that Texas merely criminalized it being performed in the state.  What happens if they criminalize having it done at all, and someone rats you out when you come back and you risk going to jail?
"Just go move to California then!"
Okay, but the overwhelming majority of Americans have like $500 or less in their checking accounts, so how is that going to work out in practice?  Just moving to find likeminded people so you can live in peace works a lot better in theory than practice.

Laws are already being drafted to make it a criminal offense to cross state lines for the purpose of seeking an abortion, or aid someone in doing so. Some of these laws also include ferrying contraceptives or morning-after pills across state lines.

Hey! What about State's Rights?!
How DARE Texas forbid California from making money by providing abortions to Texans?!
That is against the rights of California!
(since the rights of people apparently don't matter...)

Unfortunately, legislature are not required to draft legal laws.  And now it looks like the Supreme Court won't stop states from passing unlawful laws.
I mean, if I rob someone in Texas, and flee to California, California can't charge me for the robbery.  They gotta drag me back to Texas, and let Texas decide.

Let's tie another issue up in an hypothetical: Should California be allowed to arrest anyone that fires a gun in Texas? Hmmm.....

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48797 on: June 24, 2022, 05:59:41 pm »

The whole point of the child support system is to shift that burden onto the parents instead of The Government.

I'd argue welfare support for single parents is part of The Governments job, but since we're talking about America and The Government doing it's damn job is apparently communism there... -_- Like I said, I have no objection to a parent giving up their parent status 'philosophically', but it requires the government to do its job and help support its citizens.

Of course, with the abortion legislation and bans that are flooding the regressive USA states, really Megan Rapinoe has summed up everything wrong with banning abortion outright like that:
In an emotional appearance, Rapinoe said the decision "doesn't keep not one single person safer, it doesn't keep not one single child safer, certainly".
"We know that the lack of abortion does not stop people from having abortions. It stops people from having safe abortions," she said.
"I think the cruelty is the point, because this is not pro-life, by any means," she added.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:03:07 pm by MorleyDev »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48798 on: June 24, 2022, 06:22:36 pm »

Texas, please secede. Please secede and go shit yourself when it turns out being terrible human beings 24/7 doesn't make for a stable functioning society on your own. Go eat each other in your den of corruption and fuck off away from us.

I live here and can't exactly move, I'd REALLY rather not be stuck with our state being completely free and unfettered in its descent into shitholery thanks. :v
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48799 on: June 24, 2022, 07:11:14 pm »

Can we start calling the pro-life lobby the anti-woman lobby?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48800 on: June 24, 2022, 07:13:37 pm »

And that's really, truly, inexorably the crux of it. This hurts the people who can't leave for places with better guarantees of rights. It hurts the poor and vulnerable among us, those for whom advocates are not readily available. This repeal is a failing to every soul that most needs protections and support when selfish American individualism and corporate greed won't provide it.

All for ideological culture war bullshit on the way to an authoritarian takeover.

I think others had it right calling them the death cult, given their attitudes towards the virus and the cries of "when the looting starts the shooting starts" back during the Floyd protests.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48801 on: June 24, 2022, 07:48:11 pm »

See, this I think highlights the problem.

Women make up more than 50% of the population.  If all women supported the right to an abortion, this issue would be moot.

There must be large numbers of women that support the anti-abortion agenda.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48802 on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:02 pm »

Usually when asked anti-abortion women will say something that boils down to "I don't want to have one therefore I don't think anybody should be able to ever have one".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:11:39 pm by MorleyDev »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48803 on: June 24, 2022, 08:07:07 pm »

See, this I think highlights the problem.

Women make up more than 50% of the population.  If all women supported the right to an abortion, this issue would be moot.

There must be large numbers of women that support the anti-abortion agenda.

There are. A huge number. The vast majority of the time that a womany begins a sentence with "I'm no feminist but...", abortion is the reason she adds that preface.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48804 on: June 24, 2022, 08:13:13 pm »

I'm sure religious beliefs have a strong influence on that too.  I can easily see how many Christian women would oppose it despite it stripping them of an option they'd otherwise have.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48805 on: June 24, 2022, 08:16:04 pm »

Usually when asked pro-abortion women will say something that boils down to "I don't want to have one therefore I don't think anybody should be able to ever have one".
I take it you meant anti-abortion women, there... (Or 'pro-life'.)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48806 on: June 24, 2022, 08:24:56 pm »

I'm sure religious beliefs have a strong influence on that too.  I can easily see how many Christian women would oppose it despite it stripping them of an option they'd otherwise have.

Somebody should tell them that the scripture doesn't really say anything about abortion (afaik), so it's perfectly fine to get one.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48807 on: June 24, 2022, 08:28:32 pm »

Somebody should tell them that the scripture doesn't really say anything about abortion (afaik), so it's perfectly fine to get one.
Actually, I thought there were scripture passages that actually support abortion.

Most Christians don't know the Bible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48808 on: June 24, 2022, 08:34:41 pm »

Not really. It largely was of minimal concern (as in, there's parts of the bible that can be substantively interpreted as being okay with it, from what I recall) among religious folks until around the civil rights era, iirc... something like that. Started becoming an issue among churches about the time they lost a fair amount of ground on miscegenation and black people getting the vote and someone seeing easy patsies decided they needed a new wedge issue.

... or in other words, church supported views are absolutely involved, but calling it a religious thing is more questionable. It's a 110% an issue with the secular side of american religious organization and its overall political inclinations, but the scriptural side of it hella' more shaky. If you wanted to separate the that shit out, you absolutely could.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48809 on: June 24, 2022, 08:47:08 pm »

It's an interesting question.  On some level, with many issues, "Why do people care?"
What truly motivates people to care deeply about issues?
I think, in some cases, it comes down to wishing to be accepted.
If everyone I knew walked around if a spoon on their nose, I'd probably start wearing a spoon on my nose.
Most people root for their local sports teams, and cry foul when they lose.  It's the Referee's fault!

Since that local sports team gives good feelings, and since life in general is a barren canvas, some folks REALLY get into supporting sports teams.
In some ways, the kids are likely to support the sports teams more than the adults.  They have more good memories.
Pages: 1 ... 3252 3253 [3254] 3255 3256 ... 3567