Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3254 3255 [3256] 3257 3258 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235600 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48825 on: June 25, 2022, 12:32:12 am »

I'm sure religious beliefs have a strong influence on that too.  I can easily see how many Christian women would oppose it despite it stripping them of an option they'd otherwise have.

Isn't it amusing that in Jewish tradition a person doesn't have a soul until the first breath? Numbers 5 have a clear procedure that can't be (reasonably) interpreted in any other way than a primitive chemical abortion with God's approval
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48826 on: June 25, 2022, 01:09:00 am »

Either way, while it'd be amusing to see some lawsuits come up on religious grounds on behalf of Judaism, it's rather abundantly clear that our particular brand of fascists won't give a flying fuck about that, and I half-expect retaliatory measures in response if lawsuits for women's rights on religious grounds start to crop up. :/
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48827 on: June 25, 2022, 01:26:45 am »

Justice Clarence Thomas, in his opinion, wrote: "In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell" - referencing three landmark decisions of the past on the right to contraception, the repeal of anti-sodomy laws, and the legalisation of same-sex marriage respectively.
source: BBC

wow..  :(

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #48828 on: June 25, 2022, 02:45:07 am »

The crazy thing is there was a whole ass leak of what was going to happen, but the Democrats did almost nothing substantial in that timespan to stop Roe. vs Wade from being overturned. lol

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48829 on: June 25, 2022, 02:51:30 am »

As I mentioned earlier, that passage being in the concurrence rather than the main decision means that even the conservative wing doesn't back him on that. Otherwise it would be in the main ruling.

The crazy thing is there was a whole ass leak of what was going to happen, but the Democrats did almost nothing substantial in that timespan to stop Roe. vs Wade from being overturned. lol

And what, precisely, would you have them do?

Pack the court? Even if you managed to find the votes, the decision would be over and done with long before new members could be seated.
Issue an executive order? It would be tossed immediately as executive overreach.
Pass a Federal law saying that states don't have a choice? 10th Amendment violation.

The only thing that Biden or Congressional Democrats could have done since the leak would be to declare that Biden is now Emperor Joseph I, and send troops to execute anybody that didn't agree. Besides the many reasons this is utterly impossible, if they managed to pull it off it would be a bad thing. The only difference between a Good Dictator and a Bad Dictator is what you think of the people they slaughter to gain power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48830 on: June 25, 2022, 02:56:41 am »

I would fully expect pogroms within five years, ten at the most. Once the secessionists lose the ability to blame outsiders (read: the rest of the country) for their problems, they'd have to start blaming some convenient group or another.

I would heavily fear for the African-American population in Texas.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48831 on: June 25, 2022, 03:40:04 am »

Packing the court/killing the fillabuster would do a lot to prevent this shit from continuing to happen. The Dems aren't even putting on the act that they care anymore. Both parties are now mask off, apparently.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48832 on: June 25, 2022, 03:51:14 am »

You know what would have done plenty to prevent this from happening? Not going "Both parties are the same, don't bother voting!".

We. Would. Not. Be. Here. If. Hillary. Won.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48833 on: June 25, 2022, 04:05:03 am »

You know what would have done plenty to aid Hillary's win? If Hillary would have actually campaigned rather than party with her upper class media clique in New York.
Love, scriver~

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48834 on: June 25, 2022, 04:06:10 am »

If America had a parliamentary system with more parties, would this have been avoided?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48835 on: June 25, 2022, 05:16:55 am »

For the rest of the western world, America has no gone from a modern democracy to something comparable to the Taliban
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48836 on: June 25, 2022, 06:01:26 am »

Well, if you can't beat 'em...

(...beat your wayward wife or daughter instead, for daring to exceed, deny or subvert your perfectly rational wishes!)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48837 on: June 25, 2022, 06:11:04 am »

Nah, that's completely out of proportion.
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48838 on: June 25, 2022, 06:52:44 am »

You know what would have done plenty to prevent this from happening? Not going "Both parties are the same, don't bother voting!".

We. Would. Not. Be. Here. If. Hillary. Won.

Probably true, but we certainly wouldn't be in this position if the Dems hadn't posted up their establishment choice over Sanders. Twice.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48839 on: June 25, 2022, 07:53:07 am »

From my perspective, he would have been differently divisive, probably. Possibly could have gotten over the line with the general public[1], or maybe they'd have been saying how "if only" we'd have gone with someone more of a sure hand, like... well, you know.

And look to Corbyn in the UK. Or Clegg, if it comes to that. And the Right Honourable Johnson currently there. Politics is fickle and immune to second-guessing given pretty much any change in the wind...

[1] Where Clinton did not and Biden did... And Obama definitely did, even if it probably caused the backlash that acted against his party's successive candidates...
Pages: 1 ... 3254 3255 [3256] 3257 3258 ... 3567