Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3241 3242 [3243] 3244 3245 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241974 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48630 on: June 04, 2022, 12:21:57 am »

Quote from: Rolan7
link=topic=162538.msg8379315#msg8379315 date=1654319118
I "love" that we're quibbling over what the founding fathers meant.
They were people like us.  Imagine yourself in their shoes for a moment.  For an hour, for several hours in oppressive heat while wearing the stupid rough cloth clothes they wore.
Well, many of them were more like Bezos and Musk.
But the country was smaller then, and there were more opportunities. So I guess there is an incredible small chance the Founding Fathers were at least people I would have spoken with before they wanted to shove their newest flavor of Horse Shit down my throat.

I could see myself writing in support of the Bill of Rights.
Ninja's by Frumple, whom I agree with.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48631 on: June 04, 2022, 12:28:41 am »

I "love" that we're quibbling over what the founding fathers meant.
They were people like us.  Imagine yourself in their shoes for a moment.  For an hour, for several hours in oppressive heat while wearing the stupid rough cloth clothes they wore.
I don't particularly feel like imagining myself in the shoes of someone that raped a slave, though. Can do without it, y'know? (which one am I talking about, exactly? Who knows, that wouldn't narrow down the list nearly as much as it should)

They were definitely people sharing our species, but with like maybe two or three exceptions what we know of them indicate that most of them were pretty intensely horrible people, of the sort I can't easily get my head into the same mental space of, and frankly hope to any bloody thing that will listen that I'll never be able to.

You can understand how someone would act without having to put yourself directly in their shoes, though, and thank consensual fornication for that.

e: though no aggro directed at you personally, rol, it's just a thought experiment that hit me as genuinely repugnant, the founding fathers were mostly immoral sacks of shit on the net, not a headspace you want to put yourself in
Shared without comment thanks to pagebreak and EuchreJack being characteristically based.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48632 on: June 04, 2022, 01:04:56 am »

Or even, what is "well regulated"?
Trained in use of the Nukes, obviously.
You don't want "poorly regulated" Nuclear Silos, right?  :P
...more seriously, it's interesting to note that Militas themselves are Quite Illegal in the United States.
Well, I was just implying that the choice to say "well regulated" in the 2nd amendment is more important than the use of the word "militia".

The problem isn't that the word "militia" has been replaced by organization names like "Army Reserve" and "National Guard", but that the word "militia" has been claimed by "poorly regulated" people who want someone to authorize them to shoot people. In history, these people would be called mercenaries or bandits.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #48633 on: June 04, 2022, 12:08:35 pm »

What're guys thoughts on Elon Musk apparently about to do massive layoffs of Tesla employees, citing that he "doesn't feel good about the economy"?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48634 on: June 04, 2022, 01:04:39 pm »

Somewhere between "musk is shit" and "it was inevitable". More specific than that, I ain't got.

E: though yeah, his opinion on the state of the economy has about as much to do with reality as tesla's stock prices, for what that's worth.

probably has more to do with some of his horseshit looking like it's coming home to roost than anything else, ha
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:14:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48635 on: June 04, 2022, 01:20:08 pm »

My immediate thoughts are...  ...that I ought to invest, in advance, in a way that expects his ravings to cause a small panic, but then get myself positioned to ride back up the rebound too.

(I think that this is what Musk is doing/allowing to be done, based upon more immediate access to what whims and twists and turns he is prone to kick out there, seemingly at random. And if I have had the idea to try to 'pre-follow' the trends, I'm sure that people who are actually at the end of high-frequency-trading connections are already pre-second-guessing it all, which means of course that I'd be lucky to grab the scraps from the table of the complicated Futures markets within which all these gains (and losses!) are actually made into reality.)

Let the rich kids (really rich, rich on paper, rich in theory, rich in anticipation, whatever...) deal with it. I wouldn't consider any of this indicative of the On The Ground reality[1], just in the field where all the financial games are played.

Yes, the financial world can tear apart the 'real world' (various crashes leading to depressions, etc), but I'm not yet sure I'm willing to believe that one man can (intend to!) do this by a bit of Twittering, not without a whole lot of other supporting/opposing forces adding to the mess in their own way.

[1] Except insofar as his ability to start up, shut-down, expand, mothball, etc his own businesses. And possibly use his influence (or produce fall-out) to effect those other businesses supplying/being supplied by him.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48636 on: June 04, 2022, 03:52:50 pm »

The dirty secret of the Stock Market is that it's rigged.
It goes up and down based upon what people say publicly.
But the rich people hear it first privately.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48637 on: June 05, 2022, 11:10:04 am »

The dirty secret of the Stock Market is that it's rigged.
It goes up and down based upon what people say publicly.
But the rich people hear it first privately.
That's... not a secret. Everyone paying attention these days know it's almost completely divorced from reality.

Now, we just need to tax it better and actually prevent insider trading lol.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48638 on: June 05, 2022, 01:50:48 pm »

US government is allowing Venezuela to export oil to Spain and Italy, in a small step towards lifting sanctions and improving relations.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48639 on: June 05, 2022, 02:25:12 pm »

In talking about the SCOTUS Heller decision you are missing an important part:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.
It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any
manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, con-
cealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment
or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast
doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by
felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of fire-
arms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or
laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of
arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those
“in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition
of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.
Pp. 54–56.

Written by Justice Antonin Scalia as part of the majority opinion. In the case decision, again, that stated owning a gun is an individual right.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48640 on: June 08, 2022, 11:28:19 am »

When you don't vote, republicans gain ground. Not saying those on bay12...but...saw stuff yesterday where the vast majority of mail-in-ballots weren't even returned in california. republicans gained a bit of ground and CNN says liberals were the "losers" and "mainstream republicans" winners. While not all bad (republicans lost in mississipi), if this is a hint to november...we really need to make sure EVERYONE votes

About early turn out. Might be a paid article though

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-06-06/early-voter-turnout-low-california-june-primary

and...about the results.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/08/politics/june-7-primary-election-winners-losers/index.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:31:15 am by The_Explorer »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48641 on: June 08, 2022, 03:27:57 pm »

When you don't vote, republicans gain ground. Not saying those on bay12...but...saw stuff yesterday where the vast majority of mail-in-ballots weren't even returned in california. republicans gained a bit of ground and CNN says liberals were the "losers" and "mainstream republicans" winners. While not all bad (republicans lost in mississipi), if this is a hint to november...we really need to make sure EVERYONE votes

About early turn out. Might be a paid article though

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-06-06/early-voter-turnout-low-california-june-primary

and...about the results.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/08/politics/june-7-primary-election-winners-losers/index.html

It goes both ways, my friend.

But yes, both parties benefit by mobilizing those who are likely to vote them.
You're also talking about California specifically, the state that claims to be liberal but is actually conservative.

Also note "mainstream republicans" as cited in the CNN article are those Left of Trump.  So that is a win for everyone.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #48642 on: June 08, 2022, 03:54:15 pm »

Republican Apocalypse.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48643 on: June 09, 2022, 07:52:39 am »

The problem isn't that the word "militia" has been replaced by organization names like "Army Reserve" and "National Guard", but that the word "militia" has been claimed by "poorly regulated" people who want someone to authorize them to shoot people. In history, these people would be called mercenaries or bandits.

What do you call armed dudes who hang out along the highway and pull people over to search their cars and take their money and are allowed to kill them if they resist?

Remember those are the guys who will be enforcing any laws we make.
Shoes...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48644 on: June 09, 2022, 08:34:44 am »

What do you call armed dudes who hang out along the highway and pull people over to search their cars and take their money and are allowed to kill them if they resist?

Remember those are the guys who will be enforcing any laws we make.
And there is NO DAMN THING you can do about it.
Pages: 1 ... 3241 3242 [3243] 3244 3245 ... 3568