Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3136 3137 [3138] 3139 3140 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4203994 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47055 on: December 01, 2021, 08:12:03 am »

I'm just sad that it's going to be more noise about guns instead of focusing on the deeper mental health and general worldview issues (dehumanizing others, putting self above others, et cetera.)

To get to a point where you have dehumanized people and/or think that such violence is the appropriate response is the core issue, not gun control.  That is, gun abuse is a symptom not the cause.  Put another way, you may reduce shooting events if you take away guns, but you aren't going to reduce the desire to do violence, and that desire will find a way.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47056 on: December 01, 2021, 08:29:21 am »

-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:38:42 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47057 on: December 01, 2021, 09:42:44 am »

I mean  school shootings are nothing new.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47058 on: December 01, 2021, 11:51:49 am »

It's not fair to this forum and it's members that I'm living out my frustrations about dunning-krueger incarnate insisting to spam my steam to discuss a book that I've quit at page 150 and he has never seen in his life. I am so fucking tired of rhetoric. You could mute 98% of human interactions and no information would be lost.

If someone's harassing you on steam over politics and doesnt let it go at the first "get lost", you should cut the line with them no-warning and no-takebacks.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47059 on: December 01, 2021, 01:55:27 pm »

Shooter crossed state lines with the gun.

I don't have any actual evidence of this, but at least it's in before the waters are muddied, right?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47060 on: December 01, 2021, 02:04:04 pm »

The guy kid killed people. Including children. What the hell does crossing some superficial border line matter?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:05:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47061 on: December 01, 2021, 02:16:07 pm »

Bumber's trolling, I'm certain. At least on that point.

(The rest of the ideogical differences from what others may consider reality might even be heartfelt, but not this.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:19:25 pm by Starver »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47062 on: December 01, 2021, 02:18:29 pm »

Making a point through sarcasm.

See: MSNBC's false statements about Rittenhouse crossing state lines with his gun until everyone believed it; dragdeler's aversion to waiting for facts.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:22:30 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47063 on: December 01, 2021, 02:28:25 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:38:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47064 on: December 01, 2021, 02:35:48 pm »

Yeah it was just a half an hour drive to go murder people, apparantly that makes it self defense because if you can't believe that what can you believe. Personally I can not believe my eyes when looking at such cases given how many afro-american minors have been tried as adults in the past, but whatever.

1.) He has family in Kenosha and regularly drove there.
2.) It's self defense because he was attacked first and was the one being chased. (Media lied about that, too.)
3.) Rittenhouse was tried as an adult.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47065 on: December 01, 2021, 02:49:47 pm »

Making a point through sarcasm
You flatter yourself.

(The now 'agreed' convoluted timeline of the gun may not help Black and his Not Guilty plea for supplying to a minor. And shouldn't there still be a Driving Without A Licence charge against R.?)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47066 on: December 01, 2021, 02:54:14 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:38:21 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47067 on: December 01, 2021, 04:59:33 pm »

I guess I find it interesting that there are roughly the same number* of gun deaths in the US per year as there are vehicle deaths yet the reaction is surprisingly different.  And in the spirit of Thank You for Smoking, we don't ban cheeseburgers when heart disease kills an order of magnitude more people per year.

I also just don't have the emotional energy to get bent out of shape for tragedy...literal thousands of people die per day in tragedy, why is one tragedy worth more attention than others.  Or put another way, why don't we mourn all tragedies equally...

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47068 on: December 01, 2021, 05:26:20 pm »

The psychological toll of mass shooting events is much broader and greater per body hitting the floor, especially when it's understood that one of the best places to stage one is your kid's school.

You get your driver's license once usually and don't have to retake the test for a long time, but teachers are doing shooting drills where we learn how to identify different kinds of gunfire at least once per year.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #47069 on: December 01, 2021, 05:43:39 pm »

The average American adult needs a vehicle, but does not need a gun. A gun has only one function- to destroy. Vehicles transport people, objects, create privacy, and are sometimes home. They're used almost every day. Guns? Not nearly as frequently.

Also, there is plenty of reaction about vehicle deaths- it's a known problem that our aging population is going to be less capable of driving themselves as years go on, being unsafe, and the ubiquity of cellphones has increased the threat of distracted drivers. We have laws and examinations about qualifying for a license and strict penalties for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (not as severe as, say, Germany, but the point stands). Every vehicle manufacturer touts safety as a selling point in its ads.

Cars are ubiquitous, and some particular political bodies have made it difficult to construct and implement mass transportation as an alternative to cars. Guns, less so.

Nobody is coming to take away your guns even if the gun regulation boogeyman ever grows fangs. Pandora's box is already wide open, and it's too convenient to rally the masses by claiming that the libs are gonna steal your rights, so it's not actually going to happen anyways.

Come on, you know a tragedy by accident is wildly different from a tragedy of malice and is going to be wildly more meaningful to different people. You don't have to care about every tragedy, but don't bemoan those who might.
Pages: 1 ... 3136 3137 [3138] 3139 3140 ... 3566